St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Stop manipulating! The Bible teaches spinning globe earth, exclusively. When the ancient church fathers read spinning globe from the Bible that closes this debate.
A debate in which you avoided the key issue. Good for you. You win

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you really think that the Fathers only read scripture?

4th century Bishop Ambrose reads from Scripture:

"Scripture points out what is impossible for men, for God declares: 'Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand and weighed the heavens with his palm and the bulk of the earth in his hand? Who hath weighed the mountains in scales and the rocks and the groves in a balance?' And further on: 'Who sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts, who stretcheth out the heavens as an arch?' Who, then, ventures to put his knowledge in the same plane with that of God?” (~ St.Ambrose, "Hexameron" (The Fathers Of The Church series translated by John J. Savage, p.231).
28379605_407181259726554_4873315987675887118_n.jpg

Clement of Alexandria (150-215 A.D.)

Clement was a 2nd century church father. The following is taken from his writing called The Instructor, which I’m citing from the very last page of Book III entitled To The Paedagous:

“And when the seasons, in their circling course,
Winter and summer, spring and autumn, each
Should come, according to well-ordered plan;
Out of a confused heap who didst create
This ordered sphere, and from the shapeless mass
Of matter didst the universe adorn;--
Grant to me life, and be that life well spent,
Thy grace enjoying; let me act and speak
In all things as Thy Holy Scriptures teach”
(Ante-Nicene Christian Library, Vol.1).

And the Holy Scriptures taught Clement about the sphere of the earth.
1354175791.jpg

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A debate in which you avoided the key issue. Good for you. You win
I'm glad you finally see the truth that the Bible teaches globe earth long before the ancient Greeks did and long before the modern age of science. Atheists want you to submit to them as Biblical authorities, but Scriptures tell you to obey the Apostolic teachings. Christians have ecclesiastical authority over how Scripture is to be interpreted. Atheists neither have the Spirit of God or authority to teach Scripture. So when we look at 2000 years of Christian Theology and see that all church fathers consistently read spinning globe from the Bible, it is very clear that their readings, being ancient and far removed from our modern political divisions, that the shape of the earth, being a basic doctrine, will not be misinterpreted by the ancient church. So the issue is settled.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I'll stick with the ancient understand of Scripture over your 21st century deviation from sound doctrine. I cited from more credible sources than you did so Job 38:14 means spinning globe. And yes, I do understand the spiritual meaning of the passage very well. But that figurative does not remove the fact that the earth is turning (v.14) facing the dayspring (sun) in v.12.

All the early church fathers read spinning globe from Scripture.
I’m going with an ANCIENT understanding. The globe belief isn’t ANCIENT.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stop manipulating! The Bible teaches spinning globe earth, exclusively. When the ancient church fathers read spinning globe from the Bible that closes this debate.
You’re bordering on being downright disrespectful. Why can’t you see you’re in error? The verses don’t declare a spinning globe. Why do you fight with this? Is your faith dependent on the Bible declaring that the Earth spins? Dare I even ask what you think of the verses, declaring that the Sun was made to stand still, even go backwards?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you finally see the truth that the Bible teaches globe earth long before the ancient Greeks did and long before the modern age of science. Atheists want you to submit to them as Biblical authorities, but Scriptures tell you to obey the Apostolic teachings. Christians have ecclesiastical authority over how Scripture is to be interpreted. Atheists neither have the Spirit of God or authority to teach Scripture. So when we look at 2000 years of Christian Theology and see that all church fathers consistently read spinning globe from the Bible, it is very clear that their readings, being ancient and far removed from our modern political divisions, that the shape of the earth, being a basic doctrine, will not be misinterpreted by the ancient church. So the issue is settled.
A basic doctrine? When did that happen? What other doctrines do you think are basic? I know you said once that teaching a spherical Earth was the purpose of the Gospels. Do you think the Gospels teach any other basic doctrines?

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A basic doctrine? When did that happen? What other doctrines do you think are basic? I know you said once that teaching a spherical Earth was the purpose of the Gospels. Do you think the Gospels teach any other basic doctrines?
I never said the teachings of a spherical earth was the purpose of the Gospels nor can you quote me saying such a thing. But the spherical shape of the earth, along with its rotation, has been Christian doctrine since the first century of Christ. There was never a flat earth tradition in Christianity. The evolutionists are proven wrong again.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I never said the teachings of a spherical earth was the purpose of the Gospels nor can you quote me saying such a thing. But the spherical shape of the earth, along with its rotation, has been Christian doctrine since the first century of Christ. There was never a flat earth tradition in Christianity. The evolutionists are proven wrong again.
So if it's an essential Christian doctrine why is it not in the Creed?

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So if it's an essential Christian doctrine why is it not in the Creed?
The writers of the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed all read spinning globe from the Bible. The creeds were not there to teach lessons in science but what Christians believed about Jesus, things like the virgin birth and Trinity..

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The writers of the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed all read spinning globe from the Bible. The creeds were not there to teach lessons in science
So why should the Bible be any different?
but what Christians believed about Jesus, things like the virgin birth and Trinity..
Yes, those are the things which most Christians would consider essential doctrine. I don't think very many of us view the shape of the Earth in the same light.

But so what? You proved that the Bible explicitly teaches a spherical Earth and that the notion that it teaches a flat Earth is something atheists have conspired to brainwash certain gullible Christians with in order to discredit the Bible. Do I have that about right? So what's next? Where are you going with all this?

Reactions: FEZZILLA
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But so what? You proved that the Bible explicitly teaches a spherical Earth and that the notion that it teaches a flat Earth is something atheists have conspired to brainwash certain gullible Christians with in order to discredit the Bible. Do I have that about right? So what's next? Where are you going with all this?

My goal on this forum is to prove beyond all shadow of a doubt that the Bible teaches globe earth. So you summed it up here real good. :oldthumbsup: :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My goal on this forum is to prove beyond all shadow of a doubt that the Bible teaches globe earth. So you summed it up here real good. :oldthumbsup: :oldthumbsup:
But you didn't answer the question: So what?

Given your idea of what a biblical "teaching" is, you can prove that the Bible "teaches" many things. That the Sun shines during the day, for instance. Why is what other people think about the shape of the Earth in particular so important to you?

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But you didn't answer the question: So what?

Given your idea of what a biblical "teaching" is, you can prove that the Bible "teaches" many things. That the Sun shines during the day, for instance. Why is what other people think about the shape of the Earth in particular so important to you?
You summed it up in your last reply. I am refuting social predators who pride themselves in seeing Christians lose all hope in salvation by their subtle sneak attack on peoples souls. So I decided enough is enough and hit the books and ordered a storehouse of study tools. I even found the research as a surprise because I was able to learn many things I never knew before this research began. The results of this research also led me to become an Anglican Catholic which I will remain until I am martyred or die a natural death.

Simple ABC 1-2-3 common sense should tell anyone that if Isaiah 40:22 teaches flat earth then there is no God. For the entire Book of Isaiah is a wall to wall prophetic text. So if God told Isaiah, whether by word or vision, that the earth is flat but we know its round, then there is no truth to Isaiah being a prophet. And since Isaiah is a major prophet that would just destroy the credibility of prophecy in general. So this whole flat earth movement is a scam on the Bible to get baby Christians and the gullible to slowly lose faith in God. We all know the earth is round. That has got to be one of the single most established scientific fact there is. If God doesn't know the correct shape of His own creation the God is no God at all. So knowing the truth behind this theological issue is absolutely vital because flat earth is not a Christian doctrine nor does it have any root in the Christian faith.

Those early church fathers would not have held back if the believed Scripture taught flat earth. They would have proudly proclaimed the flat earth! But all analysis, ancient and modern, reveal that the Bible teaches globe earth. So why should Christians accept a flat earth lie when they don't have any cause to walk in such shame? Making Christians look as stupid as possible was the goal of the flat earth movement. But the outcome of this research places the shoe on the other foot.

Upvote 0