klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That’s what I said, Jesus said it first. He made Sabbath for man which equals me and you. Not sure how you could interpret it any other way, but you do have an interesting way of spinning things.

Man was made on the sixth day and the Sabbath was the very next day, God made the Sabbath for man. He made Sabbath for us to keep holy Exodus 20:8.
The law grants the knowledge of sin. If the law does something other than telling you that you are a bad person. Then I am all ears?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you make of this commandment? Exodus 20:8 Remember the Sabbath to
keep it holy.
It was the pattern of our future full-time rest in the work of God's holy Son, Jesus Christ, which saved us from condemnation.

Holy = set apart from sin.
God does not need rest. He commanded us to keep holy His seventh day Sabbath.
Precisely. . .participating in his full-time rest was a type, pattern of our full-time spiritual rest in the holy work of his Son in the NT.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟916,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Bob, you have made a mistake.

The ten commandments are not the commandments we were given.

According to Paul they were

Eph 6:1-2, Rom 13:8-10

According to Chris - they were
Mark 7:6-13
Matt 19:17-19

According to John they are "God's Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3 and Jesus said that includes the TEN in Mark 7:6-13.

In Hebrews 8:6-12 it is Christ giving then Ten Commandments at Sina.

You have the wrong set of commandments. Your ten commandments will condemn everyone

Paul says that is exactly what they do still to this very day Rom 3:19-20

Then Paul asks "so does our faith make void the Law of God? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the Law of God" Rom 3:31

, grant them the knowledge of their sin. Then the ten commandments will condemn them to death and rightly so. The law was given to an evil people, a rebellious and dangerous nation. The law they never will obey because they cannot obey the law.

You just shot your own argument in the foot.

Rom 8:4-12 says that the very same Commandments that the lost person "does not and CAN not" obey - is the Law of God that the saints obey and is the same Law that to this very day condemns all the lost Rom 3:19-20.

Gentiles were specifically told the following.

Acts 15:19-20
Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.

Another great example that does not include

"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5
"do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18

Which all NT scholars know - still apply to all Christians.

Bible details sooo incredibly obvious that Bible scholars on BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate freely admit to them.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟916,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Saturday Sabbath originated in heaven with God's rest, not in Eden. .

God said He made it in Eden on the 7th day.

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Gen 2:1-3 And so the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their heavenly lights. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Mark 2:27 "Sabbath was made for mankind, not mankind made for the Sabbath" - speaks to the making of BOTH in Gen 1:2-2:3

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only one of them was given in Eden - Gen 2:1-3 ... not "all"
Only one of them is in the Ten Commandments - Ex 20:8-11... not "all"

Only one of them is affirmed by Bible scholars on BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate in almost all major denominations... not "all of them in Lev 23".

Bible details are very important.
The content and regulations were the same for all of them.
Nothing in them was different.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • that new testament text does not mention the 7th day Sabbath of the Ten Commandments.
  • that new testament chapter - condemns man-made-religion and "making stuff up" but does not condemn even one single text of scripture.
The Scriptures do not make any difference in the Sabbaths, same regulations, same penalties for violation. It is man who creates a difference.

• Agree
Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That’s what I said, Jesus said it first. He made Sabbath for man which equals me and you. Not sure how you could interpret it any other way, but
you do have an interesting way of spinning things.
Methinks the pot is calling the kettle black.
Man was made on the sixth day and the Sabbath was the very next day, God made the Sabbath for man. He made Sabbath for us to keep holy Exodus 20:8.

EDIT: I did mix up Mark 2:27 was citing from memory while multitasking. I corrected it, the sentiment is the same though.
Been there, done that. . .no harm, no foul. . .we'll be together in glory.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God said He made it in Eden on the 7th day.

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Don't see anything there about Eden.

He spoke everything into being, he didn't have to be there.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟484,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Methinks the pot is calling the kettle black.
Yes, I could have phrased that better, I wasn’t meaning to be offensive. I do not understand your interpretation of some scriptures, but I should of stated that in a different way. My apologies. God bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It was the pattern of our future full-time rest in the work of God's holy Son, Jesus Christ, which saved us from condemnation.

Holy = set apart from sin.

Precisely. . .participating in his full-time rest was a type, pattern of our full-time spiritual rest in the holy work of his Son in the NT.

God did not need rest---we do. That is why God made the Sabbath for man. I have already stated that the original word in Hebrew was not rest--but cease.

2 and~he~will~much~FINISH(V) (וַיְכַל / wai'khal) Elohiym (אֱלֹהִים / e'lo'him) in~the~DAY (בַּיּוֹם / ba'yom) the~SEVENTH (הַשְּׁבִיעִי / hash'vi'i) BUSINESS~him (מְלַאכְתּוֹ / mê'lakh'to) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) he~did~DO(V) (עָשָׂה / a'sah) and~he~will~CEASE(V) (וַיִּשְׁבֹּת / wai'yish'bot) in~the~DAY (בַּיּוֹם / ba'yom) the~SEVENTH (הַשְּׁבִיעִי / hash'vi'i) from~ALL (מִכָּל / mi'kol) BUSINESS~him (מְלַאכְתּוֹ / mê'lakh'to) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) he~did~DO(V) (עָשָׂה / a'sah)

RMT: and Elohiym finished in the seventh day his business which he did, and he ceased in the seventh day from all his business which he did

Again---the Sabbath does not point forward-----it points backward---to creation week. The very commandment states that.

Don't see anything there about Eden.

He spoke everything into being, he didn't have to be there.

He most certainly did for when He created Adam and Eve---He formed them from the earth itself. And actually, He formed every animal and every bird from the earth also.

Gen_2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Why does everyone here try so hard to disregard what God says ---and fight so hard to do what He has not said? He has done everything for us, including being crucified for us and we try to do as little as possible for Him.

The Scriptures do not make any difference in the Sabbaths, same regulations, same penalties for violation. It is man who creates a difference.

Wrong!! God Himself designated the difference between His Sabbath and the ceremonial sabbaths. The ceremonial sabbaths were dictated by God, but written by Mosses on parchment and placed outside of the Ark. The Sabbath---part of the 10 commandments, were written by God Himself--on stone, and placed inside the ark---the throne of God on earth and in heaven. The ceremonial laws pointed to the slain Lamb, none of the 10 commandments point to the slain Lamb. The ceremonial laws pointing to Jesus as the slain Lamb, were done away with at the cross---none of the 10 were. Jesus did not do away with the 10---Again---

Mat_22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,185,175.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again---the Sabbath does not point forward-----it points backward---to creation week. The very commandment states that.
Again, you are wrong. The Sabbath points forward to when Christ would rest in the tomb.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Again, you are wrong. The Sabbath points forward to when Christ would rest in the tomb.

He kept Sabbath, even in death! So no, the Sabbath points to It's creator at the end of creation week which is what the commandment itself says---if you wish to argue with God--then do so -- not with me.

Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It just doesn't get any plainer.
It is the creator of anything that decides what it is and what it means--not the observer. The writer of a book decides what it says, what it means. It is the vision of the artist that matters. The observers can speculate, but it is the authors, the artist's, opinion that actually matters. If you think your opinion is greater than He who created the day---you and Him will most definitely be getting together one day, we shall see who wins the argument. I know the One I am betting on.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟880,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 20:20 hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the LORD your God

Eze 20:1 In the seventh year, in the fifth month, on the tenth day of the month, certain of the elders of Israel came to inquire of the LORD, and sat before me.
Eze 20:2 And the word of the LORD came to me:
Eze 20:3 “Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel, and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD, Is it to inquire of me that you come? As I live, declares the Lord GOD, I will not be inquired of by you.
Eze 20:4 Will you judge them, son of man, will you judge them? Let them know the abominations of their fathers,
Eze 20:5 and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: On the day when I chose Israel, I swore to the offspring of the house of Jacob, making myself known to them in the land of Egypt; I swore to them, saying, I am the LORD your God.
Eze 20:6 On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of the land of Egypt into a land that I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands.
Eze 20:7 And I said to them, ‘Cast away the detestable things your eyes feast on, every one of you, and do not defile yourselves with the idols of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.’
Eze 20:8 But they rebelled against me and were not willing to listen to me. None of them cast away the detestable things their eyes feasted on, nor did they forsake the idols of Egypt. “Then I said I would pour out my wrath upon them and spend my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt.
Eze 20:9 But I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations among whom they lived, in whose sight I made myself known to them in bringing them out of the land of Egypt.
Eze 20:10 So I led them out of the land of Egypt and brought them into the wilderness.
Eze 20:11 I gave them my statutes and made known to them my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live.
Eze 20:12 Moreover, I gave them my Sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them.
Eze 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness. They did not walk in my statutes but rejected my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live; and my Sabbaths they greatly profaned. “Then I said I would pour out my wrath upon them in the wilderness, to make a full end of them.
Eze 20:14 But I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, in whose sight I had brought them out.
Eze 20:15 Moreover, I swore to them in the wilderness that I would not bring them into the land that I had given them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands,
Eze 20:16 because they rejected my rules and did not walk in my statutes, and profaned my Sabbaths; for their heart went after their idols.
Eze 20:17 Nevertheless, my eye spared them, and I did not destroy them or make a full end of them in the wilderness.
Eze 20:18 “And I said to their children in the wilderness, ‘Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers, nor keep their rules, nor defile yourselves with their idols.
Eze 20:19 I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and be careful to obey my rules,
Eze 20:20 and keep my Sabbaths holy that they may be a sign between me and you, that you may know that I am the LORD your God.’

Note the reiteration of Exodus 31--the Sabbath was a sign with Israel.

He makes a distinction between the statutes by which a man lives, and the sign given to Israel of the sabbaths.

Eze 20:11 I gave them my statutes and made known to them my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live.
Eze 20:12 Moreover, I gave them my Sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them.

The Sabbath is a sign with Israel showing that God sanctifies them

Exo 31:12 And the LORD said to Moses,
Exo 31:13 “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you.
Exo 31:14 You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Exo 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Exo 31:16 Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever.
Exo 31:17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”
Exo 31:18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God

It points to redemption from Egypt:

Deu 5:12 “‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.
Deu 5:13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
Deu 5:14 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant, or your ox or your donkey or any of your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.
Deu 5:15 You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.

And to Creation:

Exo 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work,
Exo 20:10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates.
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

It is an appointed time with attendant sacrifices:

Num 28:9 “On the Sabbath day, two male lambs a year old without blemish, and two tenths of an ephah of fine flour for a grain offering, mixed with oil, and its drink offering:
Num 28:10 this is the burnt offering of every Sabbath, besides the regular burnt offering and its drink offering.

No person is seen keeping the Sabbath until Exodus 16. God rested from His creative works on the 7th day. But the command to keep the Sabbath is first given to people in Exodus 16. And it is given in the law, in which Genesis and Exodus are a combined narrative. The words of Genesis and Exodus refer back to the words of God at Sinai where He gave the Sabbath as a sign to Israel.

In Acts 15 and Acts 21 Gentiles were not required to obey the law of Moses:

Act 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

Act 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Act 15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Act 15:26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Act 21:24 take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law.
Act 21:25 But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality.”

Gentiles are still certainly under moral commands. But the Sabbath is a ceremonial law, a sign, a memorial of redemption from Egypt and of creation for the Jewish people, set in the center of the covenant with them to show that God sanctifies them.

The sabbath was given to Israel in addition to the commands by which one will live as a sign:

As to the sabbath being made for man, yes, it was. And Exodus 31 tell us which men it was made for:

Exo 31:13 “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you.
Exo 31:14 You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Exo 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Exo 31:16 Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever.
Exo 31:17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”
Exo 31:18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

Jesus used the term for people or man as part of the word play in the whole sentence:

Mar 2:27 And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Mar 2:28 So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

man, man, Son of Man,

Sabbath, Sabbath, Lord of the Sabbath.

He is making a word play to highlight who He is. He is the Son of Man, and the Lord of the Sabbath.

He was reminding the Jewish people, who knew the Scriptures, that they were not going to be the ones judging Him on the Sabbath, as they were attempting to do, but He would be judging them on all things, because He is the Son of Man, and the Lord of the Sabbath.

The Sabbath was one of the appointed times, and the list in Colossians 2 is a list of the appointed times and mentions the food and drink associated with them (food and drink offerings).

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a feast or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

So we see a listing of these in short form, similar to Colossians 2 in Ezekiel:

Eze 45:17 It shall be the prince's duty to furnish the burnt offerings, grain offerings, and drink offerings, at the feasts, the new moons, and the Sabbaths, all the appointed times of the house of Israel: he shall provide the sin offerings, grain offerings, burnt offerings, and peace offerings, to make atonement on behalf of the house of Israel.

In this case we know the summary statement includes the weekly Sabbath because he goes on through the rest of the chapter and the next to elaborate:

Eze 46:1 “Thus says the Lord GOD: The gate of the inner court that faces east shall be shut on the six working days, but on the Sabbath day it shall be opened, and on the day of the new moon it shall be opened.
Eze 46:2 The prince shall enter by the vestibule of the gate from outside, and shall take his stand by the post of the gate. The priests shall offer his burnt offering and his peace offerings, and he shall worship at the threshold of the gate. Then he shall go out, but the gate shall not be shut until evening.
Eze 46:3 The people of the land shall bow down at the entrance of that gate before the LORD on the Sabbaths and on the new moons.
Eze 46:4 The burnt offering that the prince offers to the LORD on the Sabbath day shall be six lambs without blemish and a ram without blemish.
Eze 46:5 And the grain offering with the ram shall be an ephah, and the grain offering with the lambs shall be as much as he is able, together with a hin of oil to each ephah.
Eze 46:6 On the day of the new moon he shall offer a bull from the herd without blemish, and six lambs and a ram, which shall be without blemish.

This is the closest parallel to Col. 2 and contains the same elements. It is a listing of the appointed times.

new moon
Feast
sabbaths

The feast in this case is in reference to the pilgrim feasts, correlating with the word "chag" in Hebrew. Some of the yearly appointed times were not feasts but solemn assemblies. The trumpets, Day of Atonement, etc. These are included in the category of Sabbath. They are appointed times, but not "chag" or feasts. The Weekly sabbath is also included in both Numbers 28 and Ezekiel as it is also a sabbath, and one of the appointed times.

Now Bob indicated that Colossians was just talking about judging man-made things. However, all of the things in the list of appointed times are called shadows, of which the body is of Christ:

Col 2:16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.
Col 2:17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

The appointed times were shadows, pointing to Christ, of which the Sabbath was one.

Romans 14 also notes not to judge on disputable matters:

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6a He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

@The Liturgist

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟880,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And while not Scripture these note that this understanding is certainly not new:

Justin Martyr Dialoge with Trypho
Moreover, all those righteous men already mentioned, though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Araham with all his descendants until Moses

Irenaeus Against Heresies
And that man was not justified by these things, but that they were given as a sign to the people, this fact shows, that Abraham himself, without circumcision and without observance of Sabbaths, “believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness; and he was called the friend of
God.”

Tertullian An Answer to the Jews
Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised, and inobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering Him sacrifices, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was by Him commended; while He accepted what he was offering in simplicity of heart, and reprobated the sacrifice of his brother Cain, who was not rightly dividing what he was offering. Noah also, uncircumcised--yes, and inobservant of the Sabbath--God freed from the deluge. For Enoch, too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and in-observant of the Sabbath, He translated from this world; who did not first taste death, in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might by this time show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God. Melchizedek also, "the priest of the most high God," uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was chosen to the priesthood of God. Lot, withal, the brother of Abraham, proves that it was for the merits of righteousness, without observance of the law, that he was freed from the conflagration of the Sodomites. But Abraham, was circumcised. Yes, but he pleased God before his circumcision; nor yet did he observe the Sabbath. For he had "accepted" circumcision; but such as was to be for "a sign" of that time, not for a prerogative title to salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
LOL!! Me thinks he doth protest too much! Trying to convince us or himself?

Bottom line---the Sabbath is a commandment, not a suggestion. It's already been said---we all answer to God, not each other.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
And while not Scripture these note that this understanding is certainly not new:

Justin Martyr Dialoge with Trypho
Moreover, all those righteous men already mentioned, though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Araham with all his descendants until Moses

Irenaeus Against Heresies
And that man was not justified by these things, but that they were given as a sign to the people, this fact shows, that Abraham himself, without circumcision and without observance of Sabbaths, “believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness; and he was called the friend of
God.”

Tertullian An Answer to the Jews
Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised, and inobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering Him sacrifices, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was by Him commended; while He accepted what he was offering in simplicity of heart, and reprobated the sacrifice of his brother Cain, who was not rightly dividing what he was offering. Noah also, uncircumcised--yes, and inobservant of the Sabbath--God freed from the deluge. For Enoch, too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and in-observant of the Sabbath, He translated from this world; who did not first taste death, in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might by this time show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God. Melchizedek also, "the priest of the most high God," uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was chosen to the priesthood of God. Lot, withal, the brother of Abraham, proves that it was for the merits of righteousness, without observance of the law, that he was freed from the conflagration of the Sodomites. But Abraham, was circumcised. Yes, but he pleased God before his circumcision; nor yet did he observe the Sabbath. For he had "accepted" circumcision; but such as was to be for "a sign" of that time, not for a prerogative title to salvation.

I could care less what anyone's opinion is----God's command trumps anyone's opinion. I will do as God says---you are certainly free to do as you please.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟880,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No wonder He tells us that for all eternity after the cross, in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

Still not quoting the whole text Bob?

Isa 66:19 And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.
Isa 66:20 And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.
Isa 66:21 And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Adventists don't believe that in the new heaven and new earth there will be dead bodies, because they believe that the fire will consume them and the earth will be purified.

Adventists know Jesus is not of the tribe of Levi, and God won't need "some" to be Levites and priests because we are all priests in the new covenant who go directly to Jesus at the throne of grace.

Adventists don't assemble on the new moon.

Adventists don't think in the new heaven and new earth that the gentile nations will bring back exiled Jews to Jerusalem. They believe that the new Jerusalem will come down and all the saved will already be in it.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟880,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could care less what anyone's opinion is----God's command trumps anyone's opinion. I will do as God says---you are certainly free to do as you please.

I quoted it for those interested. I also quoted God's command giving the Sabbath to Israel as a sign with them, of sanctification (which is future, not just past), of redemption, and of creation. And I noted that it is one of the appointed times with sacrifices. It is not one of the commands that was given that man might live, but a sign with Israel in the covenant made with them of the Lord's authority over them.

And I noted Colossians 2 that it is in the listing of appointed times with reference to food and drink offerings, and is a shadow pointing to Christ.

And I noted that Romans 14 makes it plain not to judge.

Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0