Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, if one’s views are reprehensible to society one should expect to bear the consequences society deems appropriate.

No, I think that you're wrong on that one because what about freedom of conscience? People shouldn't be punished merely for having views that are "reprehensible to society". That enters into the territory of thoughtcrime and we already saw how that worked out in the Soviet Union (HINT: it didn't). You have absolutely no right to level "consequences" on people for holding an opinion and I really hope that people begin actively fighting back, with force if necessary, against this mindset.

Yeah, but it’s great for us non religious types over here.

Why are you even on a site called "Christian Forums" then? This is the thing I don't understand about the left: you have to go everywhere where you aren't wanted and then get mad (and violent in many instances) when people on the right speak their minds in public places. Eventually you guys are going to have to reach the point wherein you realize that you not only have no right to tell people what to think, but that you invite a lot of the hatred of you by insisting that you have said right.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, I think that you're wrong on that one because what about freedom of conscience?
You’re free to have those thoughts, but as soon as they become words or actions that are outside of current societal norms one must accept the consequences.
People shouldn't be punished merely for having views that are "reprehensible to society".
Hold your horses, partner. Nobody said that.
You have absolutely no right to level "consequences" on people for holding an opinion and I really hope that people begin actively fighting back, with force if necessary, against this mindset.
Easy there! Nobody said that.
Eventually you guys are going to have to reach the point wherein you realize that you not only have no right to tell people what to think, but that you invite a lot of the hatred of you by insisting that you have said right.
Steady on chief! Nobody said that.
Now, do you have an opinion about what I did say?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The fact that harassment happens doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it.
Aside from getting rid of the internet, the sort of harassment you're describing is impossible to curb. A leftist mob which is convinced that Trump and his supporters uphold a fascist/racist idea of what America should be is not going to be moved by liberal arguments of toleration for the other side. They're actually being quite reasonable in trying to shame Scott into their position. It's a classic example of shunning and it actually holds a community together, in this case, the FNAF fanbase.

I could complain about the treatment Scott got, but what would that do?

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aside from getting rid of the internet, the sort of harassment you're describing is impossible to curb. A leftist mob which is convinced that Trump and his supporters uphold a fascist/racist idea of what America should be is not going to be moved by liberal arguments of toleration for the other side. They're actually being quite reasonable in trying to shame Scott into their position. It's a classic example of shunning and it actually holds a community together, in this case, the FNAF fanbase.

I could complain about the treatment Scott got, but what would that do?
When did I say that's all we should do to address harassment or suggest that we should be tolerant of harassment?

In case you missed it, this isn't an exclusively leftist thing. This is the same stuff that gamergate did when it was targeting women, minorities, and the dreaded feminists.

If you have suggestions for how to address harassment, then I'm willing to listen...but if you're just here to dunk on the left and be divisive, then you're part of the problem and not the solution.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When did I say that's all we should do to address harassment or suggest that we should be tolerant of harassment?

In case you missed it, this isn't an exclusively leftist thing. This is the same stuff that gamergate did when it was targeting women, minorities, and the dreaded feminists.

If you have suggestions for how to address harassment, then I'm willing to listen...but if you're just here to dunk on the left and be divisive, then you're part of the problem and not the solution.
I'm not dunking on anyone and I admit it's not just a leftist thing. It's a human thing rooted in the very notion of society and maintaining it. These FNAF fans are doing something entirely logical on their understanding. They are shaming Scott Cawthon into compliance because to support Republicans is not acceptable in the current year.

As to addressing harassment? Ignore it. Get off twitter. Don't go on forums that talk about you. Keep your personal details private. Other than that there's nothing that can really be done to prevent anyone from receiving harassment, especially if they are a prominent individual. Such is a price of fame and fortune.

I don't really see online harassment or negative opinions as being 'solvable.' Not without regulating the internet itself.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't really see online harassment or negative opinions as being 'solvable.' Not without regulating the internet itself.
It looks like you're getting close to a solution here.

Maybe there should be some laws put in place to handle the death threats and doxxing...

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe there should be some laws put in place to handle the death threats and doxxing

There technically are, it's just that they aren't enforced when it's the left doing it.

However be a conservative, or not even a conservative and say something online that the leftists in Big Tech don't like and interpret as a "threat" and the state law enforcement will be kicking in your door at 8am on April 8th of 2020 and you'll be in jail for 18 days and have a felony on your record.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There technically are, it's just that they aren't enforced when it's the left doing it.

However be a conservative, or not even a conservative and say something online that the leftists in Big Tech don't like and interpret as a "threat" and the state law enforcement will be kicking in your door at 8am on April 8th of 2020 and you'll be in jail for 18 days and have a felony on your record.
Or they'll just deplatform you when liberals say equally nasty things on their platforms and get away with it.

• Agree
Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or they'll just deplatform you when liberals say equally nasty things on their platforms and get away with it.

What I find to be the height of hypocrisy is how celebrities can pose with the severed head of the United States president for a photoshoot, but when I tell people that they need to exercise their second amendment rights PEACEFULLY at a protest against big tech censorship, this makes me a "terrorist" in the eyes of state law enforcement.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone battling over religion and oppression and all this, and I'm just hyped over Security Breach. Trust me, Scott rolling in enough money to secure him a very nice and long retirement. The only ones who will pay are his fans, because no more games. :(

I play games by people of all sorts of religious and political backgrounds. I don't care. The games aren't reflections of their personal lives, and vice versa. Nobody will agree with you about everything, so just have some fun together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums