Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For those of you who don't know who Scott Cawthon is, he is an indie game developer, a devout Christian, and the developer of Five Nights at Freddy's.

Scott Cawthon was harassed into retirement from game development last month. I put together this short video that explains why gamers were upset and how the relationship between a creator and a fan turns into a dysfunctional parasocial relationship.

Oh, and in case my stance on this issue isn't clear from the video: harassment is bad. Don't harass game developers.

Reactions: EricaMeeran

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tip to any conservative. Be more careful if you are in a position like Scott Cawthon was in. Always be sure to hide your power level as best as you can

You shouldn't have to, that's the entire problem with society now and it's a reason that conservatives desperately need to start actually fighting back instead of constantly being on the ropes.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You shouldn't have to, that's the entire problem with society now and it's a reason that conservatives desperately need to start actually fighting back instead of constantly being on the ropes.
I don't see fighting back as being particularly helpful in the climate we live in at the moment. Mainly because any transgression will be met with a response. I mean, what did Scott do? I gave money to political candidates on the right that he obviously wanted to win. If even that leads to a cultural backlash by fans of FNAF, what would fighting back more vigorously invite?

I think Scott did the right thing. He didn't apologize and he backed away from the spotlight. He still retains ultimate control over his franchise and I doubt we'll be seeing leftoid themes in future games.

If people continue to but future installments, that's victory. For now, at any rate.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see fighting back as being particularly helpful in the climate we live in at the moment.

I do. People have to take a hard stand for what is right because this country is being destroyed by these people. The adults in the room need to stand up and tell the rest of the millennial generation to "shut their mouths" and that "Nobody cares about your stupid rules, this is America"

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do. People have to take a hard stand for what is right because this country is being destroyed by these people. The adults in the room need to stand up and tell the rest of the millennial generation to "shut their mouths" and that "Nobody cares about your stupid rules, this is America"
I just don't think it's possible to stop said destruction. You can try resisting but what does any of it amount to? The Republicans are always moving left and are about twenty years behind the Democrats. Trump tried to turn things around and the collective powers at be crushed him from all sides.

America like most empires in the world will fade. It would be better for conservative Christians to pay more heed to themselves, their own moral development and thinking about futures beyond the USA rather than grand ideas of preserving the current system which I think is the root of the problem.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would be better for conservative Christians to pay more heed to themselves, their own moral development and thinking about futures beyond the USA rather than grand ideas of preserving the current system which I think is the root of the problem.

Well I agree with this partially, but I don't know of any futures outside of the USA for most people. Europe is even worse than America is in terms of the spirit of the antichrist being alive and well within it and that's the problem: the liberal order of the US has made such a mess of the entire planet that even as America declines and falls, there is nowhere for conservative christians to go to.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't take a meme lord from kiwi farms seriously. They're the folks that organize campaigns to harass people.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
upload_2021-7-6_22-54-2.png

I get it. You want to replace the government of the United States with a dictatorship. Cool story bro.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't take a meme lord from kiwi farms seriously. They're the folks that organize campaigns to harass people.
Not a meme Lord. Also I'm being unironically serious unlike in that other thread.

I don't get why you would seek to defend Scott here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What a time to be alive in. Tip to any conservative. Be more careful if you are in a position like Scott Cawthon was in. Always be sure to hide your power level as best as you can.
Make sure to “hide your power level” - The Islamic Monthly

"It’s what one particular, run-of-the-mill alt-right bro on 4Chan referred to once as “hiding your power level” (appropriated from a scene in the Japanese manga/cartoon “Dragon Ball Z”).

In other words, keep your true, racist beliefs covert. Just lie about your opinions on whatever it is you’re asked about: race, gender, Muslims, Jews, etc. Don’t reveal your actual beliefs (i.e., how racist you actually are) until you’re sure that no one’s looking, the walls are soundproof and you’re among your “own people.” When asked, just say to the public that you’re not a racist."​

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Make sure to “hide your power level” - The Islamic Monthly

"It’s what one particular, run-of-the-mill alt-right bro on 4Chan referred to once as “hiding your power level” (appropriated from a scene in the Japanese manga/cartoon “Dragon Ball Z”).

In other words, keep your true, racist beliefs covert. Just lie about your opinions on whatever it is you’re asked about: race, gender, Muslims, Jews, etc. Don’t reveal your actual beliefs (i.e., how racist you actually are) until you’re sure that no one’s looking, the walls are soundproof and you’re among your “own people.” When asked, just say to the public that you’re not a racist."​

Well I like the expression. It conveys how I operate with regarding my Christianity or lack of a belief in Democracy. Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with racism in the context I used it in. It could refer to literally anyone in a society that doesn't accept their views. Like Pagans living in the middle ages.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not a meme Lord. Also I'm being unironically serious unlike in that other thread.

I don't get why you would seek to defend Scott here.
I believe that nobody should get this kind of harassment.

Your avatar is the 30-year-old boomer meme. You're memeing in this thread. I suppose the mods here don't have a lot of experience with the chans, but I remember when /b/ was good.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe that nobody should get this kind of harassment.

Your avatar is the 30-year-old boomer meme. You're memeing in this thread. I suppose the mods here don't have a lot of experience with the chans, but I remember when /b/ was good.

What is you complaining going to do about it? As far as I'm concerned there is no stopping of this sort of harrassment, especially online and toward prominent people. Scott not apologizing (as far as I know) is the best thing to come out of this.

But yeah, my picture is the thirty year boomer meme. What of it? I'm nearly thirty. Enjoy monster energy and have old sensibilities. Sums me up pretty well.

Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is you complaining going to do about it? As far as I'm concerned there is no stopping of this sort of harrassment, especially online and toward prominent people. Scott not apologizing (as far as I know) is the best thing to come out of this.

But yeah, my picture is the thirty year boomer meme. What of it? I'm nearly thirty. Enjoy monster energy and have old sensibilities. Sums me up pretty well.
I talk about game industry news from the perspective of a game developer on my channel.

The purpose of the video is primarily to inform people of what happened, but it'd be nice if more people would take the messages about parasocial relationships and harassment to heart.

The fact that harassment happens doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't take a meme lord from kiwi farms seriously.

I was IP banned from Reddit for saying that kiwi farms people should be hit by a truck after they harassed that one guy in the SNES community to suicide. I don't really have experience with them, but they caused a guy to kill himself already, so I'm not really a fan of them.

I don't use social media so I don't keep up with dumb things like "memes" or iDrama

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
gamers were upset and how the relationship between a creator and a fan turns into a dysfunctional parasocial relationship.
I think it’s more that gamers love to send death threats for pretty much any reasons. Remember gamer gate?

His regrettable politics notwithstanding he certainly does not deserved death threats.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
To be fair, if one’s views are reprehensible to society one should expect to bear the consequences society deems appropriate.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Europe is even worse than America is in terms of the spirit of the antichrist being alive and well within it and that's the problem:
Yeah, but it’s great for us non religious types over here.

Upvote 0