Visit site
✟17,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who do you think was the greatest military commander of all time?

It is difficult to determine who is the greatest because the way in which wars are fought has drastically changed over the last 2,500 years.For example, in the ancient world, the general usually modified his army and hired auxiliaries(sometimes calvary, slingers,archers, etc.) to supplement his army.

However, I though this would be an interesting topic where posters can give their opinion.

So, who do you think was the greatest general?

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Scipio Africanus, victor of the second Punic war. Actually, I think this is an impossible question to answer because it asks one to compare unlike things. The roles of ancient and medieval commanders were different that those of the Napoleonic and modera eras.

Upvote 0

Grey Eminence

Dec 8, 2004
✟874.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-NDP
I've always heard that Hannibal is considered one of the greatest military tactitians of all time. And IIRC, his final defeat was because the Romans adopted his own tactics against him.

OnTheWay was correct in invoking Scipio Africanus.

It has been attributed to Hannibal, who did meet Scipio after the war, tha when asked who the greatest General was replied Alexander, however if "I had beaten you it would be me." Which is a rather backhanded way of saying Scipio.

After the battle of Cannae Hannibal had the chance to march on Rome when it had no army left. Instead he did nothing. It was then recorded that the commander of the Numidian cavalry demanded to know why he was not going to march on Rome. Later sources attributed the quote to said commander about Hannibal "He knows how to win a battle but not use it."

That comment is substantially correct. At the moment after Cannae Hannibal could have taken Rome if he moved immediately. If one wishes to attribute logistical concerns to his reticence to do so Hannibal's own actions in getting to Italy refute that argument.

Ultimately this suggests that Hannibal was aiming for a limited victory in what was perhaps the first or second case of 'total war' between two city states. Unfortunately for him the Romans would accept nothing less than the abject and total surrender of Carthage.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Good post, I was going to mention that interview too.
Hannibal put Alexander first, King Pyrhus second and himself last while saying that if he had beaten Scipio he would put himself above all the others.
As to the taking of Rome, I'm of the opinion that Hannibal didn't attack Rome immediately because he knew he wouldn't have been able to take it. Remember, he did lay siege to Rome soon after, but his army was to small to do much.
Take into consideration Carthage in the Third Punic war, when after suffering defeat by the Numidians and giving up their fleet weapons and war engines to the Romans, still put up a tremendous fight for three years against a Roman army much larger than the one Hannibal had under his command when he was in Itatly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alabaster jar

Vessel of Faith, Hope, and Love
Mar 15, 2005
upstairs
✟19,593.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will agree with Scipio Africanus; my West. Civ book states it well: "the Second Punic War was decided by a brilliant young Roman general. . . who with a prolonged command conquered first Spain, and then landed in Africa with a new army. . . " and it goes on. . . (page 322) from The Heritage of the Past Steward C. Easton.

It might be easiest to give a list from which to choose.

I like Napoleon, too: anyone who can get the French to fight has to be GREAT:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godfixated

Mar 14, 2006
✟15,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to say who is the greatest. My personal favorites are Joshua, David, Scipio Africanus, Flavius Aetius, George Washington, William T. Sherman, and Douglas MacArthur. I'll say David because he walked with God and had 600 of some of the most powerful men of war in history under his command. .

Upvote 0

MercuryAndy

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Scotland
✟12,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
general kitchener

images

http://www.city.kitchener.on.ca/

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm hard pressed to think of a military commander that was as successful as Alexander of Macedonia.

The thing about MacArthur was that as great as he was in WW I, he certainly didn't distinguish himself against the Bonus Army in Washington, nor against the Japanese in 1941/42 when he earned the moniker "Dug-out Doug".

Upvote 0

intrepid

Nov 24, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,523.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it's okay to vote for an admiral, I'll suggest Nimitz. He took command of a shattered fleet against an enemy that didn't know how to lose - then spent the next three and a half years beating them. There were no sure things before the Battle of Midway and not very many afterwards.

And, yes, I proudly use the name of an Essex class aircraft carrier launched in 1943.

Peace and love.

Upvote 0