Do You Know the Time of Your Conversion?

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
"If any be taught that frequently men are ignorant of the Time of their Conversion, that is not good Preaching. Some are of that Opinion, and its like they may drink it in from their Ministers. This is a delusion, and it may do them a great deal of hurt; it hardens men in their Natural Condition. Paul knew the time of his Conversion; At Midday, O King, I saw a Light from Heaven, above the brightness of the Sun, Act. 26.13. Men are frequently at a loss whether their Conversion were true or not; but surely men that are Converted must take some notice of the Time when God made a Change in them: Conversion is a great change, from darkness to light, from death to life, from the borders of despair to a spirit of faith in Christ. As for the outward Conversation, there is sometimes little difference; men might carry very well be|fore: But as to the frame of men's Hearts, there is a very great difference. Formerly they were under the reigning power of Objections against the Gospel, when Converted they receive it as a Divine Truth; before they were Converted they were under a sentence of Condemnation, now they have Peace with God through Jesus Christ. Men are generally a long time seeking Conversion, labouring to get an interest in Christ; and it would be much if when God reveals Christ to them, they should not take notice of it when the change is made; Ten to one but Conscience will take notice of it. When a Seaman comes into the Harbour, when a Prisoner is pardoned, when a Victory is obtained, when a Disease is broke, it would be much if men should take no notice of them. Conversion is the greatest change that men undergo in this world, surely it falls under Observation. The Prodigal knew well enough the time of his return to his Fathers house: The Children of Israel knew the time of their passing over Jordan."

-The Defects of Preachers Reproved. pgs 10-11, Solomon Stoddard

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"If any be taught that frequently men are ignorant of the Time of their Conversion, that is not good Preaching. Some are of that Opinion, and its like they may drink it in from their Ministers. This is a delusion, and it may do them a great deal of hurt; it hardens men in their Natural Condition. Paul knew the time of his Conversion; At Midday, O King, I saw a Light from Heaven, above the brightness of the Sun, Act. 26.13. Men are frequently at a loss whether their Conversion were true or not; but surely men that are Converted must take some notice of the Time when God made a Change in them: Conversion is a great change, from darkness to light, from death to life, from the borders of despair to a spirit of faith in Christ. As for the outward Conversation, there is sometimes little difference; men might carry very well be|fore: But as to the frame of men's Hearts, there is a very great difference. Formerly they were under the reigning power of Objections against the Gospel, when Converted they receive it as a Divine Truth; before they were Converted they were under a sentence of Condemnation, now they have Peace with God through Jesus Christ. Men are generally a long time seeking Conversion, labouring to get an interest in Christ; and it would be much if when God reveals Christ to them, they should not take notice of it when the change is made; Ten to one but Conscience will take notice of it. When a Seaman comes into the Harbour, when a Prisoner is pardoned, when a Victory is obtained, when a Disease is broke, it would be much if men should take no notice of them. Conversion is the greatest change that men undergo in this world, surely it falls under Observation. The Prodigal knew well enough the time of his return to his Fathers house: The Children of Israel knew the time of their passing over Jordan."

Yes, it was decades ago, in reading the Scriptures. . .Leviticus, no less, which to this day is one of my favorite books, it being the seed-bed of NT theology.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

This OP is intended to counter what, exactly? And, in your reading, what is meant by conversion —regeneration? —repentance? —salvific faith?

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
This OP is intended to counter what, exactly? And, in your reading, what is meant by conversion —regeneration? —repentance? —salvific faith?

Conversion would be the time that you turned from darkness to light, received the Spirit by faith, which would be as you said, salvific faith, which also involves repentance, regeneration = being born again.

What Stoddard was countering is the same as I've run into numerous times: people who say "I was always a believer," or, "I think I'm saved. After all I go to church and am touched by the messages," etc.
In fact one of the deacons in my church was just that - went through the motions of church attendance, and all the duties, but was not saved, and when a preacher called him on it, he repented and received Christ by faith and was born again.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Conversion would be the time that you turned from darkness to light, received the Spirit by faith, which would be as you said, salvific faith, which also involves repentance, regeneration = being born again.

What Stoddard was countering is the same as I've run into numerous times: people who say "I was always a believer," or, "I think I'm saved. After all I go to church and am touched by the messages," etc.
In fact one of the deacons in my church was just that - went through the motions of church attendance, and all the duties, but was not saved, and when a preacher called him on it, he repented and received Christ by faith and was born again.
Consider the possibility the deacon didn't even know he had been regenerated years earlier. The Spirit does as it will, and is not accountable to us. What a person "experiences" is no measure of truth. Faith is the work of God, the Spirit of God, inside those to whom God chose to show mercy. God doesn't choose the members of his Dwelling Place randomly, nor by anything they can do, nor by anything intrinsic to themselves, but only by his grace, and that, from the beginning of the world.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Consider the possibility the deacon didn't even know he had been regenerated years earlier. The Spirit does as it will, and is not accountable to us. What a person "experiences" is no measure of truth. Faith is the work of God, the Spirit of God, inside those to whom God chose to show mercy. God doesn't choose the members of his Dwelling Place randomly, nor by anything they can do, nor by anything intrinsic to themselves, but only by his grace, and that, from the beginning of the world.

I've known him for a couple of years now. I'm pretty sure he was just going through the motions of church and religion, because he was aware he did not have a born again experience and was also sort of basing it on works.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I was told by my pastor that Puritan style conversionism isn't really part of the modern Congregationalist religious ethos. Our church believes in the ordinary means of grace, such as Baptism, the Lord's Supper, corporate confession and words of pardon etc.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I was told by my pastor that Puritan style conversionism isn't really part of the modern Congregationalist religious ethos. Our church believes in the ordinary means of grace, such as Baptism, the Lord's Supper, corporate confession and words of pardon etc.

I'm sorry, I missed this reply. All those things are doctrinally sound, of course; but one is not saved by them - Rather, they are saved by grace through faith in the blood of Christ shed for our sins. I am curious what you mean by "words of pardon" Sounds like a liturgical thing, or a Catholic thing.

Upvote 0