Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the end of the gospels, Jesus tells his disciples to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Several pastors have told me how this passage applies to all Christians and how we should all be preaching the gospel, but I have always taken this passage in context to be part of the history of the early church directed towards the twelve apostles, not as a command to all Christians everywhere (including me).

Your thoughts?

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At the end of the gospels, Jesus tells his disciples to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Several pastors have told me how this passage applies to all Christians and how we should all be preaching the gospel, but I have always taken this passage in context to be part of the history of the early church directed towards the twelve apostles, not as a command to all Christians everywhere (including me).

Your thoughts?

I think it is said to every Christian. The key is that everyone could have his special way of doing it according to God's personal gift. For example, a writer may write up a book to teach Christianity without a contact to anyone personally. He does not have to do ministry work in the jungle of Africa in order to obey this command. As a Christian, we should consider our own special gift and exercise it for the gospel work.

Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Your thoughts?

Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

You missed a key aspect of the Great Commission. A rabbi would gather disciples and teach them how to follow the Torah and it was the goal of a disciple to memorize their rabbi's teachings and to learn how to think and act like them, or to essentially become an imitation of them (1 Corinthians 11:1). When they were ready, they would become a rabbi in their own right and gather their own disciples, and in this way their teachings would spread out and be passed down. I highly recommend this discipleship series for understanding what it meant to make disciples during Jesus' day:

http://video2.lightofmenorah.com/V12-Discipleship.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Your thoughts?

We are not all called into the full time ministry, but we are all called to live our faith in all areas.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?

That commission was to the teachers or leaders, not each common disciple. For the disciple we live the original gospel and through example may find ourselves in the opportunity to share our faith if asked.

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had three pastors give similar speeches about my duty (every Christian's duty) to share the gospel, invite people to church, and ultimately convert non-Christians and disciple them. Each time I feel a mix of inspiration and guilt - inspiration to try and share the gospel with someone, and guilt because I haven't been able to do it. But I try to live according to the New Testament both at home and at work (which is hard enough!), yet I'm supposed to speak to others about the gospel too? Each time the pastor has preached this message, they base it on "the Great Commission."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?

It is a command to all - as John 17 points out "not for these only but for all who should believe through their word".

And in Matt 28 the great commission we have this

16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

1. Make disciples of all nations
2. Baptize them
3. Teach them all that I commanded you.

And of course that is exactly what is being done by Matthew, Mark, Luke, John when they write their Gospel accounts.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The command is indeed given to the Church and not necessarily individual Christians. Only some are called to be evangelists. However, every CHristian is called to be ready to give an account for the hope that lies within them.

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your posts everyone, I guess I agree with the idea that not everyone is supposed to be an evangelist, or someone who shares the gospel. Some people can serve the church in other ways, and I think telling every member of the church to make converts and invite more people is just harmful to the church family. It would be like asking everyone to cook at the family reunion, when clearly some people are more talented chefs than others. It would just cause a bunch of strife and demoralize the family in both cases.
I just wanted to be sure that I'm not misinterpreting the Bible on this verse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums