Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I also suggest keeping an open Bible with you at all times as well.

:thumbsup: This is always good advice no matter who you are listening too.

I also agree with checking them out online. Then you can hear for yourself and make your own informed decision. I would not go to a conference just because it has a Christian label anymore than I would buy a book because it has a Christian label.

Reactions: Pat Colby
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Think for yourself = how Pete thinks but not how Faulty thinks, right?

No, think for yourself really does mean think for yourself. If the OP watches the podcasts and videos online and decides he doesn't want to go because he doesn't like what he sees, then by all means, don't go.

Nowhere did I tell the OP what I think he should or should not do (like Faulty did). I'm telling the OP to make up his own mind.

:cool:

Upvote 0
S

Stoopot, Lord of Mice

This Tamara girl needs to read what Pete is saying, not what she thinks he is saying. It's a great skill to have in life - to be able to read what is there.

I don't know who Rick Joyner is either. But if someone offered to pay me to go to a Christian conference I would go unless the Lord Himself told me otherwise. It has only happened to me once. Someone paid for me to go and hear Reinhard Bonnke and Benny Hinn. I had a great time in the Word of God and a great time in the breakfast buffet that was all paid for by this friend. Never happened since, but there is a conference coming up in October I quite fancy (hint, hint... ;) )

I have a friend. He is awesome. Totally wise, totally smart. Loves me so much. Everywhere I go - there He is. He never lets me down, never hates me, never is impatient or unkind with me. He always thinks the best of me. I call Him Holy Spirit, and He calls me Friend.

Now, if I was in a meeting and something was not right, He would whisper to me: Hey, friend, this is a bit strange isn't it. And I would open my a Bible and have a little read and a little chat with Him and wait for the next good bit. I test it all, and hold on to the good! I don't go hunting for the bad. If you go looking to find something to condemn, you will find it because the people doing the conference are humans just like you and me. If you go looking for the Word of God and truth and love, you will find it.

People don't go to conferences like this because they hate God, but because they love God. To be around several hundred (thousand? I don't know) people who love God is always lots of fun. As long as you go to love them, and not go as the Spiritual Policeman. That is not your role, unless they invite you to give them feedback, they paid for the hall and they hired the speakers not you. If you want a better conference, hold your own! I did that once, lots of fun but for another time.

Jesus said if they are not against us they are for us. So go, enjoy and have a good time. Holy Spirit will not let you get a stone if you want bread. Be at peace!

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Anyone who makes the effort to "check into" Christianity before stepping foot inside a church, is going to hear primarily everything the atheists and other anti-Christians have to say about it. Even if they do get an even mix of those for, and those against; the ones against are accompanied with fear, ridicule, and misinformation that will make becoming a Christian almost impossible.

With all the anti-WOF, and anti-every Move of the Spirit site out there, we don't have anything comparable in apologetics to defend these movements. "Checking into" it therefore does mean "Listen to all those who oppose", as there are few who write articles and support web sites to defend. Christianity as a whole has it's apologists, but all these new moves of God have is the Spirit.

Some of us are not Christians because of reason and logic. Some are not Christians because we think it is wise to consider an interpretation of the Bible as our foundation. We have a relationship with the Spirit of God, and therefore judge ministries not by some artificial standard of Man's understanding of the Bible, but by when God endorses a man or ministry based upon Him gracing us with His presence.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My uncle offered to send me to the Morning Star Ministries "Great awakening" Conference, I agreed to go, ( Why not right!) But I have no idea what actually happens there. Have any of you guys been to a morning star event? If so, then what was it like?

If this is part of "Morning Star International" , it has deep roots from Maranatha Campus Ministries . Stay away from it . Bad news . If you do go , have all of your radar up and note ( write down ) anything that seems odd or manipulative . If you find yourself feeling guilty over and over and them attempting to influence you to come to their group and buy their materials , follow your gut/spirit .

Upvote 0

Pat Colby

Apr 12, 2010
✟425.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would you advice someone to write down everything that seemed odd about something or someone when the Bible says hold on to the good.

Would you like it if someone wrote down everything that seemed odd about you?
Excuse me but,your very "hold fast" wordage,is actually from the same verse,where Paul exhorts about testing everything you know.False teachers are all over the place,using smooth talk and flattery,to deceive the naive,read this.

Rom 16;18 For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

Now,on to your hold fast verse.

1 Thess 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.

God bless,Pat.

Upvote 0

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WHAT again is this TEST PAT?? You have been asked MILLIONS of times and you refuse to answer. You really need to change your icon. I have never seen anyone so negative and critical of everything. GOODNESS. PLEASE..share what is "THE TEST"?????? PLEASE.....EXPLAIN.

Upvote 0
S

Stoopot, Lord of Mice

Excuse me but,your very "hold fast" wordage,is actually from the same verse,where Paul exhorts about testing everything you know.False teachers are all over the place,using smooth talk and flattery,to deceive the naive,read this.

Rom 16;18 For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

Now,on to your hold fast verse.

1 Thess 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.

God bless,Pat.

If you are holding onto the good, Pat, why are you going on about the bad?

You talk about all the bad and all the false.

I don't - I test, forget about the bad and hold onto the good.

If you are going to quote a verse you should do it.

As far as I am concerned, someone who gets into a pulpit and just runs people down for being false is false, because they offer me nothing true from God's Word, nothing to feed me from, nothing I can be inspired by.

People do it because they are like the Pharisee praying, thank you Lord I am not like...

I would rather preach the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, thanks.

Upvote 0

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you are holding onto the good, Pat, why are you going on about the bad?

You talk about all the bad and all the false.

I don't - I test, forget about the bad and hold onto the good.

If you are going to quote a verse you should do it.

As far as I am concerned, someone who gets into a pulpit and just runs people down for being false is false, because they offer me nothing true from God's Word, nothing to feed me from, nothing I can be inspired by.

People do it because they are like the Pharisee praying, thank you Lord I am not like...

I would rather preach the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, thanks.
AMEN, QFT. Enough of the nonsense. Get on with God's kingdom!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

_Sonnie

Why would you advice someone to write down everything that seemed odd about something or someone when the Bible says hold on to the good.

Sometimes odd things can be good! Anyone can keep a record of odd things about me if they like - I'm at peace with my quirks!

Upvote 0

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Judges 16
1Now Samson went to Gaza and saw a harlot there, and went in to her.

2When it was told to the Gazites, saying, "Samson has come here," they surrounded the place and lay in wait for him all night at the gate of the city. And they kept silent all night, saying, "Let us wait until the morning light, then we will kill him."

3Now Samson lay until midnight, and at midnight he arose and took hold of the doors of the city gate and the two posts and pulled them up along with the bars; then he put them on his shoulders and carried them up to the top of the mountain which is opposite Hebron.

It requires a considerable amount of discernment to determine someone like Samson was indeed a man of God. He had some pretty deep character flaws, mostly concerning his love for Philistine women. Anyone with the slightest amount of biblical teaching at the time could easily "discern" that this man was unfit to lead the people of Israel as a Judge, yet God was unmoved in His choice for using this man.

Those who side with God are going to accept the Man He chooses to use. The Pharisees chose their Bible over the Man that God sent to teach them, and had Him crucified. Unfortunately nobody else available has the same purity and lack of sinful nature as Christ. All we can do is discern whether God has chosen to use somebody or not, and then pray that person doesn't abuse his position to the same extent as Samson.

Sometimes it is "safer" to avoid those anointed by God, simply because we personally are susceptible to their flaws. Yet I also feel is is unwise to encourage everybody else to avoid them too. The benefits of the anointing of God far out weigh the personal indiscretions of the man.

True discernment IMO is to separate the man from the mission. The mission is of God, the man is always flawed. If we keep our eyes on God rather than His servants, we will be open to benefit from all that He is doing.

Brother, have you thought out that emboldened statement to its logical conclusion? If the Pharisees took the Bible over Jesus, as if the Bible had kept them from knowing God, then this means that Jesus contradicted the Bible. If a person is armed with the Word of God, and a teacher--even I--teach something contrary, shouldn't a correction be made? If a man speaks something contrary to Scripture, then he speaks on his own authority, and not on God's.

I understand that even the best of teachers make this mistake, and I am certain that I do it every time I teach. One who is willing to be corrected should unexceptionally be embraced by the body. If a man insists though on a teaching even though it is contrary to Scripture and he understands it is, then he is no longer false by error, but puts it on himself to be a false teacher.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Brother, have you thought out that emboldened statement to its logical conclusion? If the Pharisees took the Bible over Jesus, as if the Bible had kept them from knowing God, then this means that Jesus contradicted the Bible. If a person is armed with the Word of God, and a teacher--even I--teach something contrary, shouldn't a correction be made? If a man speaks something contrary to Scripture, then he speaks on his own authority, and not on God's.

I understand that even the best of teachers make this mistake, and I am certain that I do it every time I teach. One who is willing to be corrected should unexceptionally be embraced by the body. If a man insists though on a teaching even though it is contrary to Scripture and he understands it is, then he is no longer false by error, but puts it on himself to be a false teacher.

There is an assumption that the Bible will always lead us to the truth about God. Unfortunately, what happens time and time again is that man's theology leads us away from God... theology supported and grounded in the Bible, as far as we can tell.

The reason the Pharisees crucified Jesus was because He did not stand up to their theology. To this day the Jews reject Jesus, because even still He does not stand up to their understanding of the prophecies concerning the Messiah. It is only by accepting Him first as the Messiah, that we Christians are able to see the truth of Him predicted in the Prophets.

The same order must be followed today. Jesus must first be accepted; the Holy Spirit must first be acknowledged as God, before what He speaks to us can be understood as biblical.

John 5:39
" You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;

Jesus was real and alive, and in their midst; but the Pharisees preferred their Bibles. They could not accept the presence of God; just the history of what He had done. Jesus accused them of being the sons of those who had murdered the prophets... because they accepted only the writings and history of the prophets, but anyone standing up with the Voice of the Lord in their day was rejected.

Does any of this sound familiar? Kind of like how much of the Church today operates?

Upvote 0

Bladers

Jun 7, 2010
✟15,233.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
WHAT again is this TEST PAT?? You have been asked MILLIONS of times and you refuse to answer. You really need to change your icon. I have never seen anyone so negative and critical of everything. GOODNESS. PLEASE..share what is "THE TEST"?????? PLEASE.....EXPLAIN.

That is because she does not know what it means to "test" and what it consists of.
So she uses it because its a buzz word. "test, test, test"...

Its just like anyone today will throw the "false teacher" card to any preacher whom they don't agree with.

But when you ask them to define a "false teacher" and what it consists of according to the scriptures, they back out. Because to them its just a buzz word. :thumbsup:

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom

The "bible" also says to put to death Sabbath breakers . None who claim Scriptural authority obey that passage even though it is a clear command . I don't live by the Law for obtaining righteousness and salvation .

The question is : did the leaders from Maranatha that are a part of the group hold on to the good and let go of the bad ? There are people from those groups that say they didn't .

You would request the same thing if you knew Maranatha as I did . This was for the op's benefit . If the roots of the group have not fully given up on the things of Maranatha , they would have at least one of their people coming to the person in an attempt to bring them into the group or solicit monies . If the person says "no thank you , I am not comfortable with certain things being done here" . They would ask "what things?" Without writing those things down , those things could be easily explained away as if the person didn't quite remember them correctly . Also , without writing them down , they could easily dismiss the one or two things they remember . By having the whole thing in front of them , they can see that there is much to consider or maybe nothing at all .

Anyway , it was a warning to the op . Given what I went through and many others , I desire to help keep others safe from that type of thing . If you don't like it but the person is safe , I can live with it .

Reactions: Pat Colby
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People don't go to conferences like this because they hate God, but because they love God. To be around several hundred (thousand? I don't know) people who love God is always lots of fun. As long as you go to love them, and not go as the Spiritual Policeman. That is not your role, unless they invite you to give them feedback, they paid for the hall and they hired the speakers not you. If you want a better conference, hold your own! I did that once, lots of fun but for another time.

Jesus said if they are not against us they are for us. So go, enjoy and have a good time. Holy Spirit will not let you get a stone if you want bread. Be at peace!

great points

I agree that if there are that many people who would be willing to come out and praise god in any given area, then it sounds like a good place to be.

I do have a tendency to be the "spiritual policeman" especially when I see charismatics running around, so I think that going there with the purpose of loving other Christians is probably the right focus.

As for you guys who oppose morning star, Rick Joyner, ect.... don't worry, I am not going there for a lesson on christian doctrine, I know that they can be a bit screwy, I will have my eye out

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:thumbsup: This is always good advice no matter who you are listening too.

I also agree with checking them out online. Then you can hear for yourself and make your own informed decision. I would not go to a conference just because it has a Christian label anymore than I would buy a book because it has a Christian label.

Like the book that came out in 1988 called 88 reasons whythe rapture will be in 1988. And even worse, true story here , the guy wrote a sequel when it didn't happen in 1988.

Edgar C. Whisenant and the 88 reasons the world didn't in 1988

Edgar C. Whisenant was a bible student who was relativily unknown until he decided to predict the rapture. Whisenant studied the bible and concluded that the world would end somewhere between September 11th and 13th of 1988. Whisenant went so far as to publish and distribute 2 books entitled 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Could Be In 1988 and On Borrowed Time. Whisenant best his reasoning on calculations gathered from a collection of dates and history in the bible. Whisenant was so convinced that he would even bet he stated he would bet his life on his claim. "f there were a king in this country and I could gamble with my life, I would stake my life on Rosh Hashana 88." Many leaders discounted Whisenants prophecy but the Trinity Broadcast Network did not. Between the dates of the 11th and 13th, the network ran tapes instructing non-Christians on what to do in case their Christian friends and relatives disapeared leaving them in a world thrust into tribulation. When the world did not end, Whisenant warned that the rapture was coming on the September 15th, and then October 3rd, and then he realized he had made and error citing a fluke in the gregorian calender stating that the rapture was actually coming in 1989. Whisenant continued his warnings publishing The Final Shout--Rapture Report 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, etc. Whisenant finally gave up after the continued to disappointment. The absence of the rapture has landed Whisenant in good company among the thousands of other failed prophets, though Whisenant did sell 4 million copies of his book.
Posted by Vince at 6:07 PM

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
methinks you will find more of Jesus with Rick Joynter than you would with Walt Disney

On the other hand as demonic as Disney is you may be more in tune to the Holy Spirit at Disney world.

Upvote 0