Senior Veteran
Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
✟10,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's another 80's flashback - for me anyways.... My kids & I were watching a millitary movie the other night and there was a scene that had the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" playing in it. Now, I have heard my kids walking around the house singing and whistling the tune. And to think - they thought it was some NEW COOL song!!! HAHAHA

Upvote 0

starrycc

Mar 19, 2004
Wales
✟294.00
Faith
Christian
OK this is great, I didn't realise so many other 30-somethings are missing their childhood days.
You can all join the young-at-heart club! Love simplicity, honesty, innocent fun, and doing creative stuff with bits of cardboard empty boxes, felt-tips and crayons etc... ?

Children today want all the latest technology - perhaps some of us did too in the '80s, but some of us had just as much fun, if not more, playing with all kinds of rubbish for free - though the craving for more lego did make me very disappointed when other toys I didn't really want appeared in my stocking at Christmas - and I never had enough ordinary building blocks to make as much as I wanted out of lego!!

Top 5 childhood hobbies:
1) lego
2) climbing trees & making a den
3) cartoons: Mighty mouse, Pink Panther, Dogtanian & the 3 Muskahounds, Vikki the Viking, Belle and Sebastian
4) turning my room into a spaceship
5) reading astronomy books and atlases (OK I was an academic recluse even then!)

Top 5 films:
1) The Lord of the Rings animation
2) Star Trek 4
3) Star Trek 3
4) The Return of the Jedi
5) The Railway Children

Upvote 0

starrycc

Mar 19, 2004
Wales
✟294.00
Faith
Christian
PS I ordered a praise CD once and found it was recorded in the 1980s.

The music was so joyful, free, clear, beautiful and innocent. It was a bit of insight into church life from the era I just missed!

Seems like the church was thriving & reviving somewhere in the 1980s in a different way to what's been happening since 1993.

Several worship CDs from late 90s onwards have sounded rather intense and sensual in comparison.

It's often disheartening being in a culture that disagrees with me aesthetically in one way or another. Perhaps we need to create a counter-culture that speaks more of heaven's values than our human passions & ideals! I think we need a breath of fresh air!

I'm going back to choruses and praise songs written in 70s 80s and early 90s for that is 'my culture' and I love the simplicity, genuine-ness and light-heartedness of them. I can't always get into the intense state of mind & heart needed to connect with many more recent worship songs. (Though I do have quite a few favourites written from 1995-2003)

PS I like this forum. I thought I'd find it too grown up, but you lot are so much like me, even if you were in a different culture. We've all had around the same amount of time to reflect on life as we see it from our generation's point of view.

I don't get much time with folk my own age now, so it's good to realise you're still all out there somewhere! Most of my social group are over 55 and church friends in 20s or 40s-70s - no one in the same culture to talk about 1980s nostalgia etc!

Nostalgia wouldn't be a problem if the programmes were repeated, the sweets never discontinued, the clothes still available... but unfortunately the world keeps moving on and dropping things it thinks are 'untrendy', leaving behind the people who love them and can't get replacements!!

Oh when can I find another shell suit? that's the most comfortable clothing ever produced!
And all those great adventure series where I couldn't see the whole story because I didn't know they were on until half way through the series... and they were never repeated! Miserable culture - throwing out what's good in favour of what's trendy!

Upvote 0

Provision

Jun 26, 2004
✟8,315.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, the 1980's was a different time. Things were changing but still had enough nostalgia to balance it all out.

Remember the video games at the time? They seem cheesy by todays standards, but still classic!

Christian music was still fresh and brand new! Wasn't so monolythic like it is these days.

Upvote 0

SearcherKris

Dec 26, 2007
Texas
✟9,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The irony of reality shows is that there is nothing realistic about them. Honestly, how many men have 50 women falling all overthemselves trying to win his affections in the hope that they may be the one he picks? And how many people swap wives for two weeks?

It's like entertainment is toying with peoples live for the sake of enjoyment and people are putting their hearts in that vulnerable position for a bit a fame and perhaps to come out on top.

Upvote 0

SearcherKris

Dec 26, 2007
Texas
✟9,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Guess what! :D

I was in Wal-Mart and I saw 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kids! They are a collector's edition, and they are a remake of some of the original Cabbage Patch Kids. I had not realized that their faces changed over the years to keep them appealing for the current style. It makes sense though; Barbie does not look like she used to. They come in a box that is like the original only it is White instead of yellow. They cost 29.95. If I remember correctly, that's what they cost when they first came out, and it seemed like sooo much money to spend on a doll.

I'm really wanting one, but I have to get my kid's school stuff and do some other grown-up responsibilty type things with my money. Maybe they won't sell out before I get some extra cash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kittystorm92

May your day be Perrrrrfect!
Feb 13, 2008
South Beloit, Illinois
✟88,885.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I remember the cabbage patch thing. I think when the crazyness all died down, I think I had like 3 or 4 real ones and then some arts and craft people made their own version and I had 1 or 2 of them.
The Cabbage Patch dolls now are interesting, some have messy faces, teeth that grow, and I don't know what else.

Upvote 0