Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My mom started working around 75-76. I tried to join the Navy in 78 but I had a hearing problem with too much rock and roll. Then in 81, I cheated at MEP and was able to get into the Army. I pulled back the curtain and pressed the button when I saw the guy next to me pressing. I had to take the hearing test twice. I was desperate to join the service because I knew where I was headed because friends were going to jail at that time.
Joined in '78.....retired in '02. Still employed by the Army, just not as a soldier. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be done with that, too.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joined in '78.....retired in '02. Still employed by the Army, just not as a soldier. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be done with that, too.
Then we are the same age. I spent 8 years in and at reenlistment time I said if I reenlisted and went over the hump I might as well do the whole 20. I had delusions of joining the civil service in El Paso not taking into account I was competing with retirees who had more experience than I did.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then we are the same age. I spent 8 years in and at reenlistment time I said if I reenlisted and went over the hump I might as well do the whole 20. I had delusions of joining the civil service in El Paso not taking into account I was competing with retirees who had more experience than I did.
I had to work with some Army civilians when I was still a soldier....and I couldn't stand Army civilians. Now I am one...LOL.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had to work with some Army civilians when I was still a soldier....and I couldn't stand Army civilians. Now I am one...LOL.
I hear you I was jealous because they didn't have to cut their hair. Like you, the military did allow me to have a decent job at WSMR.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things are VERY different from my growing up years. Sometimes I ask people what planet I'm on! My mom lived from 1924-2017 but never talked about the past.
The biggest argument I have with young black people is how much the United States has changed in my lifetime. They want to complain, "It's as bad now as it ever was," and I have to explain in detail how the US today for black people is like a whole different planet from the US of the 50s.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must have been a nerd. jk I never used slide rule but I remember asking for a TI calculator and boy was it expensive. Did any of your moms have to work? When my mom started working it was a shock to me.
I was lazy. Slide rules were a quick way to do multiplication and division. My mother worked, but it wasn't unusual in that area.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟27,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was my Dad's tv remote control. "Boy, get up there and flip the channel. And turn the volume down. And adjust the contrast. And adjust the rabbit ears."

I remember when the first new channel could be tuned in. We now had a whopping FOUR channels.

Funny that - I now have over 200 channels and I still can't find a darn thing worth watching!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was my Dad's tv remote control. "Boy, get up there and flip the channel. And turn the volume down. And adjust the contrast. And adjust the rabbit ears."

I remember when the first new channel could be tuned in. We now had a whopping FOUR channels.

Funny that - I now have over 200 channels and I still can't find a darn thing worth watching!
Or more often, you have 200 channels and still only watch four.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, how many of us remember using slide rules and log tables? Taught myself how to use a slide rule I bought from the drug store, but a few years later transitioned to a scientific calculator. Some teachers and professors required us to use the then ubiquitous logarithm tables in the back of math and science text books. But a coworker who was just a year behind me in school had never used a slide rule.
Spring of 1965, after reading Robert A. Heinlein's "Have Space Suit--Will Travel," I begged my mother to buy me an inexpensive slide rule, then I found a book by Isaac Asimov that taught me how to use it.

I remember in college the engineering students switching from wearing slide rules on their belts to TI calculators in 1972. But in the Air Force, we continued to use slide rules until 1980. I still have my Air Force slide hanging on the wall rule right here above my desk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember in college the engineering students switching from wearing slide rules on their belts to TI calculators in 1972. But in the Air Force, we continued to use slide rules until 1980. I still have my Air Force slide hanging on the wall rule right here above my desk.
A while back I splurged and bought a circular slide rule just to have a circular slide rule. Concise still makes them and sells them in Japan.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We were too far away from a transmitter for rabbit ears to work. We had to have an antenna mounted on a mast with a rotor. We went through three stations to four, but two of them were the same network and one public broadcasting. Rabbit ears are still around, sold as an "innovation" for free HD TV.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
According to the late Elizabeth Elliott, her goal in life was to be stenographer for the British Prime Minister; then she met Oswald, and to the mission field they went.
Elisabeth Elliot I'm familiar with; her husband was Jim Elliot, missionary. I'll have to look up Elizabeth Elliott.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Elisabeth Elliot I'm familiar with; her husband was Jim Elliot, missionary. I'll have to look up Elizabeth Elliott.
She wrote many books, and used to have a radio program; Gateway to Joy.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The biggest argument I have with young black people is how much the United States has changed in my lifetime. They want to complain, "It's as bad now as it ever was," and I have to explain in detail how the US today for black people is like a whole different planet from the US of the 50s.
Well, that's inaccurate about blacks, IMO. The ones I've known are wonderful Christians. You see, races are all composed of many different people who live in different environments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
She wrote many books, and used to have a radio program; Gateway to Joy.
Oh, the spelling is Elisabeth Elliot. Jim was killed in South America. She remarried twice, I think. Did she have a husband named Oswald?

Oswald Chambers was Scottish and died in 1917.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, the spelling is Elisabeth Elliot. Jim was killed in South America. She remarried twice, I think. Did she have a husband named Oswald?

Oswald Chambers was Scottish and died in 1917.
I believe she wrote a book about Chambers

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's inaccurate about blacks, IMO. The ones I've known are wonderful Christians. You see, races are all composed of many different people who live in different environments.
What in the world did that response have to do with my post?

Upvote 0