FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lol He only had to mention it once for us to know it exists. The ratio of heavenly words to hellish words in the scriptures is completely irrelevant.

Yup: all four hells exist.

The consummation of all of them =

The Lake of Theos.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Lake of Theos.

So what your saying is everyone who says Lord Lord to Jesus will enter heaven and everyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Lake of Theos.

Four hells: sheol, hades, gehenna and tartarus? But none of them are the classic Hell of Dante, Milton and Baxter.

The "Christian" Hell is really not too far removed from the pagan Norse "Helheim" (House of Hel), which was thought to be your eternal destination if you did not rate going to Valhalla.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So what your saying is everyone who says Lord Lord to Jesus will enter heaven and everyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will be forgiven.
iu

Dear BNR: Are you practicing being slow, or do you not grasp anything you read, or both?

For a fellow who does not know what the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is, my advise would be to find out. After that exercise, you should examine the ages in Scripture

The Doctrine of the Ages in the Bible

Every knee, every tongue, every dimension (heaven, earth & underworld) IN/EN worship of Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. Mk 12:32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
Unforgiveness is restricted to this age (present) or in the age to come (Millennial Age) - not forever.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. Mk 12:32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
Unforgiveness is restricted to this age (present) or in the age to come (Millennial Age) - not forever.

I’m not sure I understand what your saying brother. Are you saying blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven? Because verse 31 says it will not be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I checked all the red instances in Strong's having to do with heavenly words and hellish words, using a hand counter. References to the heavenly won by a wide margin, so don't fall for that little bon mot in the future. Anyway, if Jesus used the word "gehenna," remember that is was, and is, a place in the real world.
While it is true there was and still exists a valley outside Jerusalem which was called Ge Hinnom in Hebrew and Gehenna in Greek. Today it is called Wadi al-Rababah. Jesus was not talking about the valley He was talking about this Gehenna.
Jewish Encyclopedia, Gehenna
The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch … in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). … the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a);[“Soon” in this verse would be about 700 BC +/-]
[Note, this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT supposed bias of Christian translators. DA]
(I)n general …sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell(B.M. 83b).
But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b).[/i]
… heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b). When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [שאול/Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). The Book of Enoch [x. 6, xci. 9, etal] also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment (x. 6, xci. 9, et al). "The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" (Judith xvi. 17). The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according toIsa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b).

Link: Jewish Encyclopedia Online
Note, scripture references are highlighted in blue.
There is an internet rumor circulating that trash, garbage and even bodies were burning constantly in the valley of Gehenna. But there is no evidence of any kind that is true.
The traditional explanation that a burning rubbish heap in the Valley of Hinnom south of Jerusalem gave rise to the idea of a fiery Gehenna of judgment is attributed to Rabbi David Kimhi's commentary on Psalm 27:13 (ca. A.D. 1200). He maintained that in this loathsome valley fires were kept burning perpetually to consume the filth and cadavers thrown into it. However, Strack and Billerbeck state that there is neither archaeological nor literary evidence in support of this claim, in either the earlier intertestamental or the later rabbinic sources (Hermann L. Strack and Paul Billerbeck, Kommentar zum Neuen Testament aus Talmud and Midrasch, 5 vols. [Munich: Beck, 1922-56], 4:2:1030). Also a more recent author holds a similar view (Lloyd R. Bailey, "Gehenna: The Topography of Hell," Biblical Archeologist 49 [1986]: 189.
Source, Bibliotheca Sacra / July–September 1992
Scharen: Gehenna in the Synoptics Pt. 1
/…..Note there is no “archaeological nor literary evidence in support of this claim, [that Gehenna was ever used as a garbage dump] in either the earlier intertestamental or the later rabbinic sources” If Gehenna was ever used as a garbage dump there should be broken pottery, tools, utensils, bones, etc. but there is no such evidence.
“Gehenna is presented as diametrically opposed to ‘life’: it is better to enter life than to go to Gehenna. . .It is common practice, both in scholarly and less technical works, to associate the description of Gehenna with the supposedly contemporary garbage dump in the valley of Hinnom. This association often leads scholars to emphasize the destructive aspects of the judgment here depicted: fire burns until the object is completely consumed. Two particular problems may be noted in connection with this approach. First, there is no convincing evidence in the primary sources for the existence of a fiery rubbish dump in this location (in any case, a thorough investigation would be appreciated). Secondly, the significant background to this passage more probably lies in Jesus’ allusion to Isaiah 66:24.”
(“The Duration of Divine Judgment in the New Testament” in The Reader Must Understand edited by K. Brower and M. W. Ellion, p. 223, emphasis mine)
G. R. Beasley-Murray in Jesus and the Kingdom of God:
“Ge-Hinnom (Aramaic Ge-hinnam, hence the Greek Geenna), ‘The Valley of Hinnom,’ lay south of Jerusalem, immediately outside its walls. The notion, still referred to by some commentators, that the city’s rubbish was burned in this valley, has no further basis than a statement by the Jewish scholar Kimchi (sic) made about A.D. 1200; it is not attested in any ancient source.” (p. 376n.92)
The Burning Garbage Dump of Gehenna is a myth - Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism
There was a valley near Jerusalem which was used as a trash dump etc. but it was not the valley of Gehenna it was the Kidron valley. Evidence available on request.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Four hells: sheol, hades, gehenna and tartarus? But none of them are the classic Hell of Dante, Milton and Baxter.
The "Christian" Hell is really not too far removed from the pagan Norse "Helheim" (House of Hel), which was thought to be your eternal destination if you did not rate going to Valhalla
Nonsense. See my post immediately above. Unlike some folks I actually research a topic I am involved with. Here is my evidence that the Kidron valley was the trash dump for Jerusalem.
Miqweh of Second Temple Period. ......Jerusalem City-Dump in the Late Second Temple Period, ZDPV, 119/1 (2003),
The chance discovery of an Early Roman city dump (1st century CE) in Jerusalem has yielded for the first time ever quantitative data on garbage components that introduce us to the mundane daily life Jerusalemites led and the kind of animals that were featured in their diet. Most of the garbage consists of pottery shards, all common tableware, while prestige objects are entirely absent. Other significant garbage components include numerous fragments of cooking ovens, wall plaster, animal bones and plant remains. Of the pottery vessels, cooking pots are the most abundant type. Most of the refuse turns out to be “household garbage” originating in the domestic areas of the city, while large numbers of cooking pots may point to the presence of pilgrims. Significantly, the faunal assemblage, which is dominated by kosher species and the clear absence of pigs, set Jerusalem during its peak historical period apart from all other contemporaneous Roman urban centers.
Excavations near the Temple Mount and within the residential areas have already shown that no waste had accumulated there (Reich and Billig 2000), and thus waste must have been removed, most likely in an organized manner. Recently, the contemporaneous city-dump was identified on the eastern slope of the south-eastern hill of Jerusalem in the form of a thick mantle (up to 10 m, 200,000 m3 ) (Reich and Shukron 2003). The dump is located roughly 100 m outside and south-east of the Temple Mount on the eastern slope of the Kidron Valley (fig. 1), and extends at least 400 m and is 50–70 m wide. Large amounts of pottery and coins date the dump to the Early Roman period (the 1st century BCE and the 1st century CE up to the destruction of the city by the Romans in 70 CE). A preliminary study of the garbage (Bouchnik, Bar-Oz and Reich 2004; Bouchnik et al. 2005) showed the presence of animal bones, and a detailed multidisciplinary joint study of the debris was carried out.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...udy_of_the_City-Dump_of_Early_Roman_Jerusalem

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
iu

Dear BNR: Are you practicing being slow, or do you not grasp anything you read, or both?

For a fellow who does not know what the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is, my advise would be to find out. After that exercise, you should examine the ages in Scripture

The Doctrine of the Ages in the Bible

Every knee, every tonque, every dimension (heaven. earth & underworld) IN/EN worship of Christ Jesus.

What do the ages have to do with it? Luke 12:8-10 is the parallel message and doesn’t say anything about aion. I’ve already explained this in my post earlier this morning.

“"And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭12:8-10‬ ‭NASB‬‬

The word aion doesn’t only refer to a limited time, it can also refer to the time during this world or the time after this world or it can mean an indefinite amount of time.

G165

Lemma:

αἰών

Transliteration:

aiṓn

Pronounce:

ahee-ohn'

Part of Speech:

Noun Masculine

Language:

greek

Description:

1) for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity

2) the worlds, universe

3) period of time, age

Here’s an example of aion G165 used meaning eternal.

“'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [ For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever (aion G165). Amen.' ]”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:13‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Surely God’s kingdom, power, and glory are not for a limited time only. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Have you seen the long list of translators through the centuries who have translated the Hebrew and Greek scriptures into English. It's quite a list.

Did you know they are all wrong in leading us to believe there is a permanent hell for those who reject Christ, according to the Universalists.

A merciful and loving God cannot be just to send part of His creation to a place such as this while some others enjoy the presence of God forever.

Scripture such as these have been mistranslated by all these translators.

Matt. 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

2Thes. 1:9
These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Jude 7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

The Universalists have said they plan to translate their own Bible and make these corrections.

When they do they have sealed their fate. I would like to draw your attention to a very important verse of scripture.

Rev. 22:19
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

What have the Universalists taken away from the words of the book of this prophecy, or from the entire Bible? They have taken away from any words such as eternal, everlasting, anything that presents a permanent place of punishment for those who have rejected Christ.

What did God say in Rev. 22:19 the punishment for such a thing will be?

Folks, this is as serious as false doctrine can get!

I could be wrong......
I often am......
my wife and any of my friends can verify that I am wrong again and again and again and again even on a daily basis but.............

an online friend has me looking at Ezekiel 37 and Revelation 20 and Romans 11 from a whole new level........
in terms of Multiverse Theory combined with non-linear time...... Multiple Ezekiel 37 events.............. that are founded on the idea of any moment in time since Adam and Eve........

serving as theoretical STAGE in which a whole new time line can be spun off...........

and........ strangely enough.........

the Calvinists could really do something with this idea if they so wished????????????????????

Does.... the Ancient of Days the Father know what will happpen in each and every one of these new time lines???????

Could Bill Wiese have been unsaved in a previous time line..... and then saved in our time line......... in which he was shown a vision of himself....... from a previous time line?????????

The obvious implications that in two, or three or a thousand new time lines...... in each of which Bill Wiese is Saved.... he may well lead more and more and more and more previously unsaved people to Salvation........ (by previously I mean in those other theoretical time lines)?!

The implications is that in more and more time lines...... Messiah Yeshua - Jesus gets to have more and more and more and more joy.... as He gives more and more joy to the Father.... over more and more sinners who are finally led to repentance...... in applied Multiverse Theory...... applied by G-d?!

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do the ages have to do with it? Luke 12:8-10 is the parallel message and doesn’t say anything about aion. I’ve already explained this in my post earlier this morning.
“"And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭12:8-10‬ ‭NASB‬‬
The word aion doesn’t only refer to a limited time, it can also refer to the time during this world or the time after this world or it can mean an indefinite amount of time.
G165
Lemma: αἰών
Transliteration: aiṓn
Pronounce: ahee-ohn'
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Language: greek
Description:
1) for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity
2) the worlds, universe
3) period of time, age
Here’s an example of aion G165 used meaning eternal.
“'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [ For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever (aion G165). Amen.' ]”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:13‬ ‭NASB‬‬
Surely God’s kingdom, power, and glory are not for a limited time only.
;)
I first heard the argument that "aionios never means eternal." etc. about 2 decades ago when I joined this forum. And I have seen it presented many time since then. People who make that argument refuse to accept any lexicon which states otherwise. So I decided to review every occurrence of aionios in the NT. See my findings below.
In twenty four [24] of the following verses αἰών/aion and αἰώνιος/aionios are defined/described as eternal, everlasting, eternity etc, by comparison or contrast with other adjectives or adjectival phrases.
List of verses:1 Timothy 1:17, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 2 Corinthians 5:1, Hebrews 7:24, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 Timothy 6:16, Galatians 6:8, John 6:58, John 10:20, 1 John 2:17, 1 Peter 5:10, Romans 2:7, Luke 1:33,Revelation 14:11, John 10:28, John 3:15, John 3:16, John 5:24, John 8:51, Ephesians 3:21, Romans 1:20, Romans 5:21, Romans 16:26, John 3:36, John 4:14, John 6:27,
…..In the NT “aion/aionios” sometimes refer to things which are not eternal but neither word is ever defined/described, by other adjectives or adjectival phrases, as meaning a period of time less than eternal, as in the following verses.
…..In 10 of these verses Jesus has defined “aionios” as eternal. In 8 verses Paul has defined “aionios” as eternal.

[1]Romans 1:20
(20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal [ἀΐ́διος/aidios] power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[2]Romans 16:26
(26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
In Rom 1:20 Paul refers to God’s power and Godhead as “aidios.” Scholars agree “aidios” unquestionably means eternal, everlasting, unending etc. In Rom 16:26, Paul, the same writer, in the same writing, refers to God as “aionios.” Paul has used “aidios” synonymous with “aionios.” In this verse by definition “aionios” means eternal, everlasting.
[3]Luke 1:33
(33) And he shall reign [βασιλευσει][Vb] over the house of Jacob for ever; [αιωνας/aionas] and of his kingdom [βασιλειας][Nn] there shall be no end.[τελος/τελος]
In this verse the reign βασιλευσει/basileusei, which is the verb form of the word, is "aionas" and of the kingdom βασιλειας/basileias, the noun form of the same word, "there shall be no end.” “Aionas” by definition here means eternal.
[4]2 Corinthians 4:17-18
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] weight of glory;
(18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal;[πρόσκαιρος/proskairos] but the things which are not seen are eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this passage “aionios” is contrasted with “for a moment,” vs. 4, and “temporal,” vs. 5. “Age(s)” an indeterminate finite period, it is not the opposite of “for a moment”/”temporal/temporary” “eternal” is. “Aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[5]2 Corinthians 5:1
(1) For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] in the heavens.
In this verse “aionios house” is contrasted with “earthly house which is destroyed.” Is God going to replace our destroyed earthly house with a house which only lasts a little longer and will be destroyed at the end of an age? The aionios house is not destroyed, the opposite of “is destroyed.” Thus, “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[6]Hebrews 7:24 but because Jesus lives forever [αἰών/aion] he has an unchangeable [ἀπαράβατος/aparabatos] priesthood.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “unchangeable.” If “aion” means “age(s),” Jesus cannot continue “for a finite period” and be “unchangeable” at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[7]1 Peter 1:23
(23) For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] through the living and enduring word of God. …
1 Peter 1:25
(25) but the word of the Lord endures forever.[αἰών/aion] " And this is the word that was preached to you.
In verse 23 “word of God” is paired with “imperishable.” The same writer, Peter, in the same writing 1 Peter in verse 25 writes the word of God “endures εις τον αιωνα unto eternity. ” Thus by definition “aion” here means “eternity.”
[8] 1 Timothy 6:16
(16) Who only hath immortality, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, God cannot be “immortal” and only exist for a finite period at the same time. Thus “aionios” by definition means “eternal.”
[9]Galatians 6:8
(8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; [φθορά/fthora] but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “corruption.” “Fleshly” people reap “corruption” but spiritual people reap “life aionios,” i.e. “not corruption.” “Age(s), a finite period, is not opposite of “corruption.” Thus “aionios life” by definition here means “eternal/everlasting life.”
[10]John 6:58
(58) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.[αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse Jesus contrasts “aionios life” with “death.” If “live aionios” is only a finite period, a finite period is not opposite “death.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[11]John 10:28
(28) I give them eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life, and they shall never [αἰών/aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionios” and “aion” with “[not] snatch them out of my hand.” If “aion/aionios” means “age(s), a finite period,” that is not the opposite of “[not] snatch them out of my hand’” “Aionios life” by definition here means “eternal life.”
[12]1 John 2:17
(17) The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. [αἰών/aion]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “pass away,” “lives aionios” cannot mean a finite period, which is is not opposite of “pass away.” Thus “lives aionios” by definition here means “lives eternally.”
[13]1 Peter 5:10
(10) And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal [αιωνιον/aionion] glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, [ολιγον/oligon] will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “little while” Does Jesus give His followers a finite period of glory then they eventually die? Thus “aionios” here, by definition, means “eternal.”
[Character limit. Continued next post]

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[Previous post continued]
[14]Romans 2:7
(7) To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, [ἀφθαρσία/apftharsia] he will give eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, believers cannot seek for “a finite period,” and “immortality” at the same time. But they can seek for “eternal life” and “immortality” at the same time. Thus by definition “aionios life” here means “eternal life.”
[15]1 Timothy 1:17.
(17) Now unto the King eternal, [αἰών/aion] immortal, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever [αἰών/aion] and ever [αἰώνιος/aionios]. Amen.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “immortal.” “Aion” cannot mean “age(s),” a finite period and immortal at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[16]Revelation 14:11
(11) And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever:[εις αιωνας αιωνων/eis aionas aionon] and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
In this verse “aionas aionon torment” is paired with “no rest day or night.” If “aionas, aionon” means “a finite period” at some time they would rest, “Aionas, aionon” by definition here means “forever and forever.”
[17] John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionion” with “shall not perish.” Believers could perish in a finite period, “aionion life” by definition here means eternal life.
[18] John 3:16

(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [αιωνιον] life.
In this vs. and vs. 15, above, the preceding verse Jesus pairs “aionion” with “should not perish.” Believers could eventually perish in a finite period, thus by definition “aionion life” here means eternal or everlasting life.
[19]John 5:24
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting [αἰώνιος] life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionios” with “shall not come into condemnation” and “passed from death unto life.” “Aionios” does not mean “a finite period,” by definition here it means “eternal,” unless Jesus lets His followers come into condemnation and pass into death.
[20]Romans 5:21
(21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal [αἰώνιος] life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
In this verse “aionios life” is contrasted with death. “A finite period life” is not opposite death, “eternal life” is. “Aionios life” by definition here means ‘eternal life.”
[21]Ephesians 3:21
(21) to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever [του αιωνος/tou aionios] and ever! [των αιωνων/ton aionion] Amen.
In this verse “tou aionios ton aionion” is paired with “throughout all generations.” "Age(s)" a finite period cannot refer to "all generations." By definition “tou aionios ton aionion” means forever and ever.
[22] John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
In this verse aionios life is contrasted with “shall not see life.” If aionios means an indefinite age that is not opposite “shall not see life” By definition aionios means eternal.
[23] John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.
In this verse aionios is contrasted with “shall never thirst.” If aionios means an indefinite age that is not opposite “shall never thirst.” By definition aionios means eternal.
[24]John 6:27
(27) Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
In this verse “aionios meat” is contrasted with “meat that perishes” .” If aionios means an indefinite age that is not opposite “meat that perishes.” By definition aionios means eternal.
[25]John 8:51
(51) Very truly [αμην αμην/amen amen] I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never [ου μη εις τον αιωνα/ou mé eis ton aiona] see death."
According to noted Greek scholar Marvin Vincent "The double negative “ ου μη/ou mé” signifies in nowise, by no means." Unless Jesus is saying whoever obeys Him will die, i.e. see death, unto the age, by definition aion means eternity.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your ignoring Luke 10:12. If at any time blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is forgiven then Luke 10:12 and Matthew 12:31 are false statements. As I’ve already pointed out aion does not always refer to a limited amount of time and is not even mention in the Luke parallel.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure I understand what your saying brother. Are you saying blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven? Because verse 31 says it will not be forgiven.
Thanks for your inquiry. Both verses 31 & 32 address blasphemy against the Spirit. V.31 simply states it will not be forgiven. V.32 clarifies that statement by stating that it shall not be forgiven - "neither in this age; neither in the age to come." Thus not being forgiven is limited to a total of two ages; this age and the next age (Millennium) which does not mean forever.

For example if I tell you, I'll meet you at the bus station this afternoon. I then tell you between 4:00 PM and 4:15 PM, I have added clarity to my first statement which do not contradict each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your inquiry. Both verses 31 & 32 address blasphemy against the Spirit. V.31 simply states it will not be forgiven. V.32 clarifies that statement by stating that it shall not be forgiven - "neither in this age; neither in the age to come." Thus not being forgiven is limited to a total of two ages; this age and the next age (Millennium) which does not mean forever.

So are you saying that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can be forgiven after the Millenium?

The parallel verses in Luke suggest it will not be forgiven period.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can be forgiven after the Millenium?

The parallel verses in Luke suggest it will not be forgiven period.
Yes, that is why Christian Universalism believes forgiveness for all sin (including blasphemy) extends past the great white throne judgment which comes after the Millennium.
Luke does not refer to any duration of time whatsoever so you are inferring something in the text that it does not state. The Matthean does. Are you arguing from silence?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Your ignoring Luke 10:12. If at any time blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is forgiven then Luke 10:12 and Matthew 12:31 are false statements. As I’ve already pointed out aion does not always refer to a limited amount of time and is not even mention in the Luke parallel.

Dear BNR: We appreciate you demonstrating your grasp of this age and the next age.

An aion is exactly that, a limited degree of time followed by another & another & another, ultimately culminating in "time shall be no more."

The Doctrine of the Ages in the Bible. | The Gospel | Glory (Religion)

Chapter 17 – Translations of Owlam, Aion, and Aionios – Gods Plan for All

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
New International Version
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

New Living Translation
Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come.

English Standard Version
And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Berean Study Bible
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come.

Berean Literal Bible
And if anyone speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but if anyone speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither in this age nor in the coming one.

New American Standard Bible
"Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

New King James Version
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

King James Bible
And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Christian Standard Bible
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the one to come.

Good News Translation
Anyone who says something against the Son of Man can be forgiven; but whoever says something against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven--now or ever.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the one to come.

International Standard Version
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come."

NET Bible
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

New Heart English Bible
And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is to come.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone who will say a word against The Son of Man, it will be forgiven him, but whoever will speak against The Spirit of Holiness, it will not be forgiven to him, not in this world, neither in the world that is being prepared.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this world or the next.

New American Standard 1977
“And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come.

Jubilee Bible 2000
And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him, but whosoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, neither in the age to come.

King James 2000 Bible
And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

American King James Version
And whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

American Standard Version
And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in that which is to come.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

Darby Bible Translation
And whosoever shall have spoken a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age nor in the coming [one].

English Revised Version
And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in that which is to come.

Webster's Bible Translation
And whoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whoever speaketh against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Weymouth New Testament
And whoever shall speak against the Son of Man may obtain forgiveness; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, neither in this nor in the coming age shall he obtain forgiveness."

World English Bible
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is to come.

Young's Literal Translation
And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is why Christian Universalism believes forgiveness for all sin (including blasphemy) extends past the great white throne judgment which comes after the Millennium.
Luke does not refer to any duration of time whatsoever so you are inferring something in the text that it does not state. The Matthean does. Are you arguing from silence?

Luke simply says it will not be forgiven. No mention of aion or aionios or any length of time is given. So if at any time blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is forgiven then Luke 12:10 is a false statement.Matthew also says it will not be forgiven in verse 31 and says it won’t be forgiven in this age/time or the one to come (in this world/life or the next) Mark even provides a contrasting statement between sins that will be forgiven in contrast to sin against the Holy Spirit which will never be forgiven which is guilty of an eternal sin. Now it wouldn’t make much sense to say all sins will be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit won’t be forgiven for a little while.

“"Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin" -”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭3:28-29‬ ‭NASB‬‬

This is an obvious contrasting statement between sins that will be forgiven and the sin that won’t be forgiven.

Upvote 0