✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Where shall I start?
Choose your poison. Of course you'll have to detail why they're heretical to Catholics. Being heresy only applies to the faith that you belong to. My faith might be heretical to you, but it's not to me. Get it? Proceed.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Choose your poison. Of course you'll have to detail why they're heretical to Catholics. Being heresy only applies to the faith that you belong to. My faith might be heretical to you, but it's not to me. Get it? Proceed.

You are correct, I will not waste my time on it. Remain in your heresy...

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You're free to believe as you wish, certainly, but I don't think you have much to stand on. I know lots of Orthodox who believe we should be reunited. A war of words with little to distinguish it.

Indeed, such as myself.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I believe it was St. Andrew, the first Apostle to be called by Yeshua that established it.

Unlikely. While St. Andrew did travel north, the idea that Constantinople is particularly his see is probably wishful thinking. This is in contrast to the very obvious Petrine association with Rome and Antioch, and the presence of St. Thomas in the East.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Unlikely. While St. Andrew did travel north, the idea that Constantinople is particularly his see is probably wishful thinking. This is in contrast to the very obvious Petrine association with Rome and Antioch, and the presence of St. Thomas in the East.
It is about Andrew being the elder brother - trying to top Peter. Scotland did something similar, choosing Andrew as a new patron saint when they were in conflict with the papacy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is about Andrew being the elder brother - trying to top Peter. Scotland did something similar, choosing Andrew as a new patron saint when they were in conflict with the papacy.
Andrew is not the elder brother, Peter is.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Andrew is not the elder brother, Peter is.
Could you give me references why you say this? Andrew was definitely considered to be the elder brother in the West during the Middle Ages, but I am unaware of any early texts that specifically say who is older and who younger.

The tradition may have been suggested by the fact that the older brothers are frequently overlooked in the Bible, like Esau, Ishmael or the high priesthood passing to Ithamar's descendants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

There is no evidence of that.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There is no evidence of that.
I was merely speculating based on similar events where Andrew came to be favoured as Patron in opposition to Petrine involvement.

Or do you mean that Andrew is the older brother? I am actually interested if there are any early texts that say otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could you give me references why you say this? Andrew was definitely considered to be the elder brother in the West during the Middle Ages, but I am unaware of any early texts that specifically say who is older and who younger.

The tradition may have been suggested by the fact that the older brothers are frequently overlooked in the Bible, like Esau, Ishmael or the high priesthood passing to Ithamar's descendants.
I've not had time to look, but I remember St John Chrysostom referring to Peter as the eldest of the Apostles. Andrew's distinction is that he is the "first called" of the Apostles, himself being a former disciple of St John the Forerunner.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've not had time to look, but I remember St John Chrysostom referring to Peter as the eldest of the Apostles.
I did a quick search and found a lot of passages where Chrysostom refers to Peter as First of the Apostles, but not one saying he was the older son of Jonah vis-a-vis Andrew.

I did see that many popular Orthodox biographies call Peter the older brother, while others say Andrew is. The Catholic and Protestant biographies of Andrew seem to mostly say Andrew is the elder brother or not mention it at all.

To hazard a guess, I assume that someone decided that oft-quoted papacy-supporting statements like saying Peter was 'First' may be obfuscated by him being the oldest Apostle, so it may have spread in popular Orthodox use. Scholarly articles on Andrew does not seem to mention much on this question though. I had always just assumed it was accepted that Andrew was older as many tales of patron Saint one-upmanship derive from it. I'll have to look around if I can find a credible source, although I consider finding one unlikely.

Upvote 0