The Duggar Family - What are your thoughts?

JC_Crust

Jun 12, 2010
oklahoma
✟7,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
i think the duggars are the coolest. any time you google them its a bunch of lib-tards saying theyre a cult and theyre creepy blah blah blah. the lady can make a boatload of kids behave in public when alot of families with 2 or 3 kids have their children running around the supermarket screaming and breaking things. theyre raised biblically and i think the duggar parents are GENIUSES. go duggars!

Upvote 0

therex

Aug 5, 2010
✟7,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
idk, i definitely agree that a woman has the right to do whatever she has with her body, whether that means having one child or 12.. it's her prerogative, but it doesn't even look like she raises her own kids. I've seen the show regularly, and anytime one girl is old enough she gets put on the "buddy system" and raises her sibling. That doesn't seem like a life 15,16, or 17 year old girl should have, but that's just my opinion.

And the quiverfull movement, is fine and dandy.. but confuses me at times. I understand that children are god's gifts, and they should all be loved and have a happy home.. but there are so many children that will never be blessed with that kind of life and will go through the foster system unadopted. It seems much more christian-like to adopt 20 children that would most likely never feel ANY kind of love from parents. It makes me very sad to think about them.

idk, i welcome any kind of clarification to help me understand.

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My take:

I think ALL of these kinds of shows (the Duggars, the Gosselins, etc.) run on the ragged edge of child exploitation and should be stopped. Children - and I don't care how well-behaved or not they are - should not be forced to grow up and have every private and personal thing in their lives thrown out on TV for all the world to see. None of these children is ever going to have anything remotely resembling a normal life; any chance for anonymity is gone. Their lives have become a freak show.

For the record, I have not watched even ONE episode of ANY of these shows, as I will not endorse such exploitation.

Upvote 0

JC_Crust

Jun 12, 2010
oklahoma
✟7,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My take:

I think ALL of these kinds of shows (the Duggars, the Gosselins, etc.) run on the ragged edge of child exploitation and should be stopped. Children - and I don't care how well-behaved or not they are - should not be forced to grow up and have every private and personal thing in their lives thrown out on TV for all the world to see. None of these children is ever going to have anything remotely resembling a normal life; any chance for anonymity is gone. Their lives have become a freak show.

For the record, I have not watched even ONE episode of ANY of these shows, as I will not endorse such exploitation.

watching the duggars and how they run their household has given me alot of tips as far as how to keep my house running smooth and methods of raising children when i have them. even tho i dont agree 100% with all their beliefs, theyre a very positive example of christian ideals and its not all bad that theyre on tv because its alot better than some families featured.

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Singermom said:
ALL of these kinds of shows (the Duggars, the Gosselins, etc.) run on the ragged edge of child exploitation and should be stopped. Children - and I don't care how well-behaved or not they are - should not be forced to grow up and have every private and personal thing in their lives thrown out on TV for all the world to see.

We watch the show all the time and I've never seen any "private or personal thing" regarding the children. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

All of the episodes I've seen have shown the family doing very public, not at all personal things, such as going to amusement parks or cleaning the house.

So then, you really have no way of knowing whether or not your claims are true or not. Don't you think it's awfully silly of you to condemn something you don't know anything about?

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
idk, i definitely agree that a woman has the right to do whatever she has with her body, whether that means having one child or 12.. it's her prerogative, but it doesn't even look like she raises her own kids. I've seen the show regularly, and anytime one girl is old enough she gets put on the "buddy system" and raises her sibling. That doesn't seem like a life 15,16, or 17 year old girl should have, but that's just my opinion.

You must be awfully young because in my day, all older siblings were asked at some point to watch their younger brothers and sisters.

My older children watch their younger brothers and sisters all the time.

Why do you think that having responsibilities within a family isn't "a life a 15, 16, or 17 year old girl should have"? At what point do you believe they should be given responsibilities within the family?

Upvote 0

JC_Crust

Jun 12, 2010
oklahoma
✟7,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You must be awfully young because in my day, all older siblings were asked at some point to watch their younger brothers and sisters.

Why do you think that having responsibilities within a family isn't "a life a 15, 16, or 17 year old girl should have"? At what point do you believe they should be given responsibilities within the family?

i think those kids will be great parents when theyre older because theyre repeatedly exposed to the process of raising children and all the little things that go into it as well. i know the question wasnt for me but i think kids should have responsibilities when theyre about 5. not to take care of other children, but the other things that go into running a household. i was at least drying dishes at that age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i think those kids will be great parents when theyre older because theyre repeatedly exposed to the process of raising children and all the little things that go into it as well.

As do I. How do we expect girls to know how to be mothers when we don't allow them any interaction with young children?

i think kids should have responsibilities when theyre about 5. not to take care of other children, but the other things that go into running a household. i was at least drying dishes at that age.

Same here. I was given a small piece of our family's garden and I was told that that plot was my responsibility. Six or seven years old and I grew tomatoes, squash, okra, etc. At dinner, we would go around the table and our parents would tell who grew what.

The point was that we were made to understand that we had a part to play in the family and that others depended on us to carry out our responsibilities.

Upvote 0

therex

Aug 5, 2010
✟7,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I had responsibilities within the family of course, fixing my room, washing the dishes, etc. Nothing close to what these girls have though; I never had to practically raise a sibling. Teenagers should have time to just do kid things, like go to the mall or date. It makes me very sad to think the only goal in life they have is to be mothers, because that's all they've been indoctrinated to believe. I mean, being a mother and wife is a wonderful thing, but it shouldn't be the only identity of a woman (unless that's really what she wants) I do consider the duggars irresponsible parents, who are acting on selfish impulses based on some obscure bible passage.

Idk, I might be wrong of course. people are welcomed to disagree

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree completely with the negative comments. One of the main things wrong with our society today is that parents don't teach morals and give responsibilities to their children.

This is a give me or I'll throw a tantrum culture, and this doesn't work in an old-fashioned family. Large, old-fashioned families work on the opposite end of the spectrum, so it's no irony that they're also on the opposite end of dis-functional. Parents are supposed to teach their children how to work and be responsible. Many parents do a miserable job of this and wind up with either spoiled brats, jailbirds, substance abuse, or any combination of the above.

The Duggars appear to all be happy, healthy, moral, upstanding Christian people. So, maybe they're doing things the right way, and it's society that's sub-par or abnormal. As unbelievable as it might seem, the Duggars are doing JUST FINE - their way - the old fashioned Christian way. I don't feel sorry for the Duggar kids at all.

The kids I feel sorry for are the ones who are silver-spoon - given everything - spoiled brats.

Reactions: JC_Crust
Upvote 0

JC_Crust

Jun 12, 2010
oklahoma
✟7,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As do I. How do we expect girls to know how to be mothers when we don't allow them any interaction with young children?

Same here. I was given a small piece of our family's garden and I was told that that plot was my responsibility. Six or seven years old and I grew tomatoes, squash, okra, etc. At dinner, we would go around the table and our parents would tell who grew what.

The point was that we were made to understand that we had a part to play in the family and that others depended on us to carry out our responsibilities.

we did that! i was in charge of the corn and peppers lol

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
therex said:
Teenagers should have time to just do kid things, like go to the mall or date.

Who says they don't go to the mall? And for the record, they do court, but not date. Perhaps you'd know that if you actually took a minute to watch the show you're condemning.

It makes me very sad to think the only goal in life they have is to be mothers, because that's all they've been indoctrinated to believe.

Who says that's their only goal? Who says that's what they've been indoctrinated to believe? If what you're saying is true, then why is the one daughter going to college?

And why shouldn't girls be raised to fulfill the roll God has designed them for?

I mean, being a mother and wife is a wonderful thing, but it shouldn't be the only identity of a woman (unless that's really what she wants) I do consider the duggars irresponsible parents, who are acting on selfish impulses based on some obscure bible passage.

Really? You consider them even more irresponsible than someone who condemns something they know nothing about, condemns a family they don't even know, judges the motivation of someone they've never met and know nothing about?

And just out of curiousity, how is a Bible passage any less true or authoritative just because you consider it to be "obscure"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Liberals seem to hate them because they think they're having too many kids. I therefore have no reason to have any problem with them.
As a general rule of thumb, if liberals hate something, the thing they hate is probably good.

Upvote 0

Dark Rabbit

Jul 6, 2009
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And why shouldn't girls be raised to fulfill the roll God has designed them for?
Because being a mother and wife is not the be all and end all of a woman's life. Her foremost concern should be whether she is a disciple of Christ, not whether she fills some 'role' or not. There is always a chance she might never get married or have kids, and if her upbringing only emphasizes that is what a woman's main 'purpose' is, then she will have felt like she has failed God.

And just out of curiousity, how is a Bible passage any less true or authoritative just because you consider it to be "obscure"?
It doesn't make it any less true or authoritative, but it can be misapplied or removed from it's context. If it's removed from it's context and read in isolation, there are many things that can be read into it, which have been known to be potent fodder for cults and charlatans.

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dark Rabbit said:
Because being a mother and wife is not the be all and end all of a woman's life. Her foremost concern should be whether she is a disciple of Christ, not whether she fills some 'role' or not.

Nope. Two different things.

There is always a chance she might never get married or have kids, and if her upbringing only emphasizes that is what a woman's main 'purpose' is, then she will have felt like she has failed God.

How she feels is up to her. But the fact remains is that the Bible tells us that God created men and women to fulfill certain roles.

It doesn't make it any less true or authoritative

Then whether you believe it's "obscure" is irrelevant.

Upvote 0