Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is very simple -He is the God of your name must be written in the book of life. If it is not- you will not enter into the holy city.

Revelation 21:27

“And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.”
-------------

Agreed.

The Bible says that our eternal home is either Heaven or the Lake of Fire depending on what we do with the Lord Jesus Christ, accept Him or reject Him!

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Haha. You get it.Most excellent.
But then you get to the next progressive question after that: who's theory is correct?
The answer? Mine is. (speaking of us all)

The 3 most important questions a man can ask are.......
Did God say it?
Can God lie?
Is hell real?

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This includes everyone in the universe, including the dead and demons:

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are on the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

John speaks of "every creature" & to emphasize this again he repeats "and all that are in them":

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are on the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

This worship (v.13) uses the same worshipful words as the redeemed of vs 9-10 use in v.12:

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

All this being in the context of salvation - "the Lamb that was slain" (v.12 & 13).

Christian universalism--Ultimate Reconcilation: The True "Good News" Gospel of the Bible

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

Universalism – The Truth Shall Make You Free

Universalism is Unbiblical!!!!!

History before it happens is found all throughout the Scriptures. One such relevant verse is what the Lord said he will say to some people:

Matt. 25:41..........
"Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels".

Jesus could not have been more clear in stating that some people will end up in eternal toements. This should be enough to refute universalism, but there are many other proofs as well:

Matthew. 25:46...............
"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life".

Though disturbing such people have the opposite of salvation. They clearly will not enter God's paradise kingdom, which he prepared for those who love him (the righteous), 1 Cor. 2:9; James 2:5.

Revelation chapter 20:10 is one of the most stirring chapters in the Bible. In it we read...
"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever".

Since the beast and the false prophet are real people, it is apparent there is no salvation for them since they are with the devil to be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Again, it is evident that universalism is a figment of mans thinking and not from the mind of God.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My dear friend, I hear what you are saying.

The problem is that when God says something, it must be true as God can not lie.

Now this particular thread on hell is not unique. It boils done to this ONE thing.

"I".....do not like what God said about hell and eternal torment. IHAVE loved ones who died in their sins and I just can not accept that a loving God would punish them eternally in a lake of fire. So, I am going to call God a liar and I am going to work and spend all of my time proving what "I" want to believe.

That my dear friend is where all the different denominations all over the earth stem from.

God said it but :I: do not like what He said so I am going to come up with an alternate teaching.

That is why some denominations accept homosexuality.
That is why some denomination accept abortion.
That is why some denominations accept "Annialationism."

That is the teaching that God does not torment the wicked lost for eternity.

A belief in annihilationism results from a misunderstanding of one or more of the following doctrines:
1) the consequences of sin,
2) the justice of God,
3) the nature of hell.

Now please read what I am about to post for you. PLEASE do not accept what I say as fact but instead YOU do the work and look it up for yourself........READY???

There are NO Bible verses that support this belief. NONE!
If anyone proposes that God does not have a real place called the "Lake of Fire" where the wicked lost are tormented forever and ever, that are NOT Bible believers but have instead come up with their OWN idea and have rejected Gods.

Yes, it is just that simple. Ask your self these 3 simple questions............

Did God say it?
Can God lie?
Is Hell real?

I agree with you - HOWEVER -
the nuts and bolts issue is constantly overlooked -

1) IS God JUST? Yes
2) IS God MERCIFUL? Yes

"TORTURED" FOREVER, and EVER, and EVER, and EVER and EVER and EVER.....!!!

THAT is their whining complaint - as not FAIR, not JUST, not MERCIFUL.

THAT is their "own" JUSTIFICATION - TO:
1) AGREE - God is JUST, is MERCIFUL, and WHY ALL will be saved.
2) WHILE DISAGREEING - The SHUT DOOR is SHUT permanently.

THE FACT IS:
God Does NOT LIE.
God IS JUST.
God IS MERCIFUL.
God SHUTS the DOOR, and it remains SHUT, with Some INSIDE and Some OUTSIDE.

DILEMMA - boo hoo, not fair. Not Fair, Not Just, Not Merciful for God to GIVE what men during their life decided they WANTED. They WANTED to be separated FROM GOD. God gave them what they WANTED. NOW, as DEAD MEN, they want GOD to be a GOD of the DEAD! He ISN'T!

TRUTH -
Their BODY shall be dead.
Their LIVING SOUL shall suffer, being separated FROM GOD, and GODS BLESSINGS of all the BEAUTY and PLEASURES, and COMFORTS, they ENJOYED while ON the Earth. Gods beauty and pleasures and comforts DO NOT EXIST IN the Earth! Whoops, bummer, they ignored that consideration, that has WIDELY been revealed.

TRUTH -
God SEED, imparted into a man, is what effects a man - to have FOREVER spiritual life.
TRUTH -
Bummer - Men who physically die, rejecting GOD - never receive Gods SEED.
TRUTH -
The same physically dead men - neither receive the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.
TRUTH -
DEAD body's of men shall be judged separated from God -
TRUTH -
Gods BREATH, imparted into a soul, is a LIVING SOUL.
TRUTH -
Gods LIVING SOULS, imparted into a mans BODY, brings that mans body into living.
TRUTH -
Saved living souls, are for ever with God.
TRUTH -
UNsaved living souls, are for ever separated from God.

TRUTH -
DEAD body's occupy the surface of the earth in shallow graves.
THEY are DEAD - they FEEL, hear, know, NOTHING.
TRUTH -
Living Souls, separated from God occupy the center of the earth.
TRUTH -
Judgement DAY of Body's and Living Soul's separated from God, SHALL be judged.
TRUTH -
They SHALL be found, separated from God.

TRUTH -
Mans LIFE, is his, it is his BLOOD. All men SHALL make their own PAYMENT of BLOOD, to GOD, for their SIN, against GOD.
(it is their payment FOR SIN, not for forgiveness of their SIN)

TRUTH -
When mans LIFE (blood) ends - he FEELS NOTHING!!

TRUTH -
Mans LIVING SOUL (ie Gods BREATH) ends - IT ENDS, Because, God Departs HIS BREATH, HIS LIFE, "OUT" of the soul. That SOUL now FEELS NOTHING!

TRUTH -
Body's of men that ARE DEAD, VOID OF LIFE.....FEEL NOTHING!

TRUTH -
Soul's of men that ARE DEAD, VOID OF LIFE.....FEEL NOTHING!

TRUTH -
Body's VOID OF LIFE -
Soul's VOID of LIFE -

SHALL FOREVER and ever, and ever, and ever, BURN, BURN, BURN.
THAT IS the TORMENT a BODY and SOUL shall experience!

TRUTH - WHICH is constantly IGNORED -
God IS TRUTH - those body's and soul's SHALL forever burn in fire.
God IS JUST - those body's and soul's ELECTED and CHOSE to REJECT God.
God IS MERCIFUL -
1) God SHALL depart ALL LIFE and FEELINGS from their Body's.
2) God SHALL depart ALL LIFE and FEELINGS from their Soul's.
3) God NEVER imparted ETERNAL spiritual LIFE to experience FEELING eternal torment.

Some people -
GET A CLUE -
burning a DEAD body, void of life; hello, it feels NOTHING!
burning a DEAD soul, void of life; hello, it feels NOTHING!

Preaching and teaching YOU LOVE the created MORE than the CREATOR, by changing the TRUTH of God into a lie; while doing so IN HIS NAME; IS your burden to answer for, for NOT doing the will of God.

Rom 1
[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Matt 7
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Some men need to re-think their teaching of using His Name, to promote, to the DEAD...NOT IN CHRIST, that God is SAVING and becoming the God of the DEAD who rejected Him.

Their WORKS, in HIS NAME, are but; what Jesus Himself proclaimed;

[23] ye that work iniquity

TRUST GODS TRUTH!

Matt 12 [30] He that is not with me is against me;

DEAD MEN DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS!

Ecc 9: [5] For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

God IS A GOD OF THE LIVING!

Matt 22 [32] ...God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

God Bless,
SBC

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The 3 most important questions a man can ask are.......
Did God say it?
Can God lie?
Is hell real?

Major1, I am not a debator nor do I like trying to push an agenda, but I like a good discussion.

1. Did God say it?
That answer depends if we are absolutely positive about the particular translation of words ascribed to Him.
2. Can God lie?
No, but in the big picture of the bible, He does often say something at one point then seem to say the opposite of it later to prove a point. Like when the law says that the blood of the animal sacrifice takes away ones sin but then later He says that He is not pleased with the blood of goats but He rather wants simple obedience.
3. Is hell real?
I would say Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus must be real, but to quantify all 4 under the banner of the old English term "Helle" which Dante's Divine Comedy depicts doesn't make them a place of unending torture. Folklore from numerous civilizations have their own stories of this horrible place that God will send bad children to. The ancients probably had problems with kids and unruly citizens too, so they would use this idea to scare them into obedience.

I think if they would have interpreted Sheol as a dark place, Hades as a prison, Gehenna as a touch stone and Tartarus as being chained up, we would not even have the same mental picture of these places.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Major1, I am not a debator nor do I like trying to push an agenda, but I like a good discussion.

1. Did God say it?
That answer depends if we are absolutely positive about the particular translation of words ascribed to Him.
2. Can God lie?
No, but in the big picture of the bible, He does often say something at one point then seem to say the opposite of it later to prove a point. Like when the law says that the blood of the animal sacrifice takes away ones sin but then later He says that He is not pleased with the blood of goats but He rather wants simple obedience.
3. Is hell real?
I would say Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus must be real, but to quantify all 4 under the banner of the old English term "Helle" which Dante's Divine Comedy depicts doesn't make them a place of unending torture. Folklore from numerous civilizations have their own stories of this horrible place that God will send bad children to. The ancients probably had problems with kids and unruly citizens too, so they would use this idea to scare them into obedience.

I think if they would have interpreted Sheol as a dark place, Hades as a prison, Gehenna as a touch stone and Tartarus as being chained up, we would not even have the same mental picture of these places.

I appreciate your comment and they are good ones.

If God said anything then it is the truth and is not open for debate.
Question: Why does each bible contain italics, brackets or footnotes? The King James version does it for only one reason, according to the translators. The facts are that there is not an English word for every word in Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic. To help bible statements make sense in English, the translators added words that were italicized. It wasn’t a secret. The words in italics are a signal to the reader that those particular words were not in the text the Bible was translated from. However, these italicized words were inserted for the benefit of our clear understanding of God’s word. The reader will also note that these words only appear once in a while and are rarely more than three or four words (if that many).

Not all bible publishers say the same thing about these matters. Their purpose was not to clarify a verse as much as it was to question a verse. The use of either brackets around a portion of a verse or an asterisk to force the reader to look at the bottom of the page usually carries with it the statement that certain portions of Scripture aren’t in the “older and more reliable” manuscripts of the Word. One version simply puts a dash after a verse of Scripture without any explanation. No text appears after the dash.

NO! God can not lie. You see my friend if it is proven that God lies then He would be a sinner and you and me would still be trying to figure out what we must do to be saved. When there is a discrepancy it is the lack of study on our part to find our what we missed or did not know.

Allow me to show an example with what you just said.................
"Like when the law says that the blood of the animal sacrifice takes away ones sin but then later He says that He is not pleased with the blood of goats but He rather wants simple obedience."

Now that appears on the surface to be a good question, but when we do the work we find out that the statement is WRONG.

The book of Leviticus discusses many of the sacrifices performed by the Levitical priests. In some places, it seems to claim that a particular offering could remove sins.

Lev. 4:20............
"And he shall do with the bull as he did with the bull as a sin offering; thus he shall do with it. So the priest shall make atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them."

Yet the book of Hebrews explicitly states that animal blood could not take away sins.

Hebrews 10:4............
"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins."

So then, is there a contradiction there that you may point to as such? NO!
It is simply our lack of deep study and learning.

This is fairly simple to resolve as are all the examples we can put forward.
Now watch this my friend...........Nowhere in the Old Testament is it ever claimed that sins were “taken away” (i.e., completely removed) by animal sacrifices.

The root of the Hebrew word translated “atonement” in the Old Testament is kaphar, which has the idea of “covering,” not total removal. This same Hebrew word is also used to refer to how Noah’s ark was to be covered with pitch.

Genesis 6:14...............
"Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch."

Tens of thousands of animals were ceremonially slaughtered by Jewish priests for centuries, the spilling of their blood vividly illustrated the deadly seriousness of sin. However, these sacrifices were essentially like a bandage, only acting as a covering for sin. They did not, and could not, remove sin, as Hebrews 10:4 clearly states.

They also pointed forward in time to the only One that could remove sin—
Jesus Christ who shed His precious blood to accomplish that purpose.

Hebrews 10:10-12.................
"By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God."

The phrase “take away” in verse 11 is translated from the Greek root periaireo, which does convey the idea of removal. This is consistent with the use of “atonement” in the Old Testament, as the Levitical sacrifices foreshadowed the final sacrifice of Christ.

Animal sacrifices could only cover sins; they could not remove them. The passage from Hebrews 10 draws a contrast between the animal sacrifices and Christ’s sacrifice. The former could never take away sins, but when Christ shed his own blood, it was a once and for all sacrifice that removes sins.

In this alleged contradiction, the solution is found by simply understanding the context and the proper meanings of the words employed within the text.

It is unfortunate that there are several names for the same place. But regardless of the name, there is a real place where the lost are tormented eternally .

Please note that there is a difference between “hell” and the “lake of fire.” When the unsaved die they go immediately to a place called hell/Sheol/Hades or any other name you choose to call this temporary place for the wicked lost. Later, the Bible indicates that those in Hell are given up and cast into the lake of fire.

The common word for hell in the Old Testament is “Sheol” which which is the Hebrew and means “the grave” where people go when they die. In the King James Version, Sheol is translated “hell” thirty-one times and “pit” three times.

When both saved and unsaved died, they were said to go to Sheol, the place of the departed dead. The Hebrew word “Sheol” was translated into Greek as hadees (hades). Hades or Sheol is the place the Old Testament unsaved went.

GEHENNA is the word that appears only twelve times in the New Testament and is translated “hell.” The Lord Jesus used this term eleven times. The name is probably related to the Valley of Hinnom. During the reign of Ahaz, Israel participated in the worship of the false god Molech.

The Lord Jesus used the word gehenna to describe the place of eternal punishment because it was a place of filth and stench, a place of smoke and pain, a place of fire and death which would be an example of the Lake of Fire.

• Informative
Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with you - HOWEVER -
the nuts and bolts issue is constantly overlooked -

1) IS God JUST? Yes
2) IS God MERCIFUL? Yes

"TORTURED" FOREVER, and EVER, and EVER, and EVER and EVER and EVER.....!!!

THAT is their whining complaint - as not FAIR, not JUST, not MERCIFUL.

THAT is their "own" JUSTIFICATION - TO:
1) AGREE - God is JUST, is MERCIFUL, and WHY ALL will be saved.
2) WHILE DISAGREEING - The SHUT DOOR is SHUT permanently.

THE FACT IS:
God Does NOT LIE.
God IS JUST.
God IS MERCIFUL.
God SHUTS the DOOR, and it remains SHUT, with Some INSIDE and Some OUTSIDE.

DILEMMA - boo hoo, not fair. Not Fair, Not Just, Not Merciful for God to GIVE what men during their life decided they WANTED. They WANTED to be separated FROM GOD. God gave them what they WANTED. NOW, as DEAD MEN, they want GOD to be a GOD of the DEAD! He ISN'T!

TRUTH -
Their BODY shall be dead.
Their LIVING SOUL shall suffer, being separated FROM GOD, and GODS BLESSINGS of all the BEAUTY and PLEASURES, and COMFORTS, they ENJOYED while ON the Earth. Gods beauty and pleasures and comforts DO NOT EXIST IN the Earth! Whoops, bummer, they ignored that consideration, that has WIDELY been revealed.

TRUTH -
God SEED, imparted into a man, is what effects a man - to have FOREVER spiritual life.
TRUTH -
Bummer - Men who physically die, rejecting GOD - never receive Gods SEED.
TRUTH -
The same physically dead men - neither receive the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.
TRUTH -
DEAD body's of men shall be judged separated from God -
TRUTH -
Gods BREATH, imparted into a soul, is a LIVING SOUL.
TRUTH -
Gods LIVING SOULS, imparted into a mans BODY, brings that mans body into living.
TRUTH -
Saved living souls, are for ever with God.
TRUTH -
UNsaved living souls, are for ever separated from God.

TRUTH -
DEAD body's occupy the surface of the earth in shallow graves.
THEY are DEAD - they FEEL, hear, know, NOTHING.
TRUTH -
Living Souls, separated from God occupy the center of the earth.
TRUTH -
Judgement DAY of Body's and Living Soul's separated from God, SHALL be judged.
TRUTH -
They SHALL be found, separated from God.

TRUTH -
Mans LIFE, is his, it is his BLOOD. All men SHALL make their own PAYMENT of BLOOD, to GOD, for their SIN, against GOD.
(it is their payment FOR SIN, not for forgiveness of their SIN)

TRUTH -
When mans LIFE (blood) ends - he FEELS NOTHING!!

TRUTH -
Mans LIVING SOUL (ie Gods BREATH) ends - IT ENDS, Because, God Departs HIS BREATH, HIS LIFE, "OUT" of the soul. That SOUL now FEELS NOTHING!

TRUTH -
Body's of men that ARE DEAD, VOID OF LIFE.....FEEL NOTHING!

TRUTH -
Soul's of men that ARE DEAD, VOID OF LIFE.....FEEL NOTHING!

TRUTH -
Body's VOID OF LIFE -
Soul's VOID of LIFE -

SHALL FOREVER and ever, and ever, and ever, BURN, BURN, BURN.
THAT IS the TORMENT a BODY and SOUL shall experience!

TRUTH - WHICH is constantly IGNORED -
God IS TRUTH - those body's and soul's SHALL forever burn in fire.
God IS JUST - those body's and soul's ELECTED and CHOSE to REJECT God.
God IS MERCIFUL -
1) God SHALL depart ALL LIFE and FEELINGS from their Body's.
2) God SHALL depart ALL LIFE and FEELINGS from their Soul's.
3) God NEVER imparted ETERNAL spiritual LIFE to experience FEELING eternal torment.

Some people -
GET A CLUE -
burning a DEAD body, void of life; hello, it feels NOTHING!
burning a DEAD soul, void of life; hello, it feels NOTHING!

Preaching and teaching YOU LOVE the created MORE than the CREATOR, by changing the TRUTH of God into a lie; while doing so IN HIS NAME; IS your burden to answer for, for NOT doing the will of God.

Rom 1
[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Matt 7
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Some men need to re-think their teaching of using His Name, to promote, to the DEAD...NOT IN CHRIST, that God is SAVING and becoming the God of the DEAD who rejected Him.

Their WORKS, in HIS NAME, are but; what Jesus Himself proclaimed;

[23] ye that work iniquity

TRUST GODS TRUTH!

Matt 12 [30] He that is not with me is against me;

DEAD MEN DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS!

Ecc 9: [5] For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

God IS A GOD OF THE LIVING!

Matt 22 [32] ...God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

God Bless,
SBC

Yes sir, you are Biblically correct in every way.

The bottom line is that There are NO Bible verses that teach "Universalism or Anniliationism".

Both of those ideas come from 1 Timothy 4:1................
"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils".

• Friendly
Reactions: SBC
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Annihilationists are correct that the Greek word aionion, which is usually translated “eternal,” does not by definition mean “eternal.” It specifically refers to an “age” or “eon,” a specific period of time.

However, it is clear that in New Testament, aionion is sometimes used to refer to an eternal length of time. Revelation 20:10 speaks of Satan, the beast, and the false prophet being cast into the lake of fire and being tormented “day and night forever and ever.”

It is clear that these three are not “extinguished” by being cast into the lake of fire. Why would the fate of the unsaved be any different (Revelation 20:14-15)? The most convincing evidence for the eternality of hell is Matthew 25:46, ......
“Then they [the unsaved] will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

In this verse, the same Greek word is used to refer to the destiny of the wicked and the righteous. If the wicked are only tormented for an “age,” then the righteous will only experience life in heaven for an “age.” If believers will be in heaven forever, unbelievers will be in hell forever.

Is this plagarism? Or are you the author of this:

Is annihilationism biblical?

and this:

@ pages 529-530 at

Got Questions?

Got Questions?
By S. Michael Houdmann, General Editor

Plagarism: "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing;"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Already addressed:
In your mind only. It's one thing to say it, another to prove it. Just saying it & quoting something while acting like it said anything to support your statement does not prove it. It doesn't even provide an explanation in your own words supporting your claim. That you have failed to do. As you have failed to explain, answer or disprove this:
Philo speaks in four passages of a "long aion". Does that mean the word aion is defined as "eternal"? Obviously not.
Philo, at the time of Christ, also spoke of an unlimited aion. Does that mean the word aion is defined as "eternal"? Or does it mean aion needed another word meaning eternal added to it to make it eternal because the word aion, in and of itself, does not mean eternal?
Your quote is in harmony with what i've been saying all along.
Furthermore, though you haven't admitted it yet, you made the errors of a novice, as follows:
Keizer doesn't say what you falsely said here:
You are wrong. Contrary to your statement above, the words "unlimited aion" are in fact Philo's:
Page 212 says "... "the unlimited aion" is Philo's paraphrase..."
Which supports what i just said above. The words "unlimited aion" are Philo's words. Not, as you erroneously declared, "not Philo's" words.
Evidently you made the same error re Philo writing about "long aioned life":
You keep repeating "Philo said 'unlimited aion' and 'long aioned life.'" over and over wile ignoring the context. By using that same disingenuous tactic I say that the Bible says twice, in Psalms 14:1 and Psalms 53:1 "There is no God." Here are the verses you can see for yourself they both say "There is no God."
Psalms 14:1
(1) To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalms 53:1
(1) To the chief Musician upon Mahalath, Maschil, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.
That is the way you quote Philo as saying "unlimited aion," and "long aioned life."

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pleassse, STOP it...........YOU are killing me!!!!

According to YOU............
Forever and forever does not mean forever and forever.
you must be confusing me with someone else I have always said that forever and forever means forever and forever...if you don't believe me find a single post where I have said otherwise, I dare you...I dare you because I know it doesn't exist. You are arguing with me over something that I did Not say nor believe. Which would explain a lot, don't you think?! ;)
Torments does not mean torments.
again, I did NOT say that, I said that there are all kinds of things that torment us but contrary to what many people try to claim being tormented does NOT mean that God is torturing anyone. And that is what you are trying to argue with me about....lol apparently you believe that torment means that God is sitting on His throne torturing people in the torture chamber of hell...I say that according to scripture and for those that are questioning two prevailing keys to this are 1. reading for comprehension as we were taught to do in elementary school and 2. allowing context to clarify for us what the intent of scripture is...tell us that God is NOT torturing anyone even though those in hell will be tormented day and night forever and ever....see how simple this this, it's elementary stuff.
Fire does not mean fire.
again, I have always said that fire is fire and I suspect based on elementary comprehension skills that the intent is both figurative and literal but that is something we will have to ask God when we are face to face with Him in glory.
Eternity does not mean eternity and you have the ability to question my understanding all because I rejected your theology.
lol you really have no idea what I have said do you? Are you one of those people who just wants to argue with someone and you picked me? I said nothing in this thread about forever and forever, fire, or eternity...in fact, in this thread all I said is that where hell is torment it does not equal God being someone who is torturing anyone and from that comment you inflate an argument about all these things I said absolutely nothing about so I know you couldn't possibly know what I believe about them yet you pretend as if you do....here is a hint...to me eternity means eternity, that is, without end...I have always believed that so not sure why you think I said otherwise when I know I didn't but it isn't going well for you.
Annialiation IS NOT a Bible doctrine It is only your inability to read the words of the Bible as they are written.
again, no clue what you are talking about...I said nothing about what annihilation means... but hint...I don't know of the word being used in scripture when it applies to hell or torment forever and ever.
Get a life my friend!
I have a life, but apparently you don't because you are making up things that I didn't say...iow's your work of fiction here is outstanding, disturbing but outstanding...you apparently have been confusing reality with fiction and that isn't a good thing...usually that kind of thing requires professional help. But I am all about giving people the benefit of the doubt so if you realize that your accusations are all fiction and apologize I will assume that you are just mistaken about who you are talking to.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Keizer doesn't say what you falsely said here:
DA said:
The words "the unlimited aion" are not Philo's but a paraphrase of the LXX.
You are wrong. Contrary to your statement above, the words "unlimited aion" are in fact Philo's:
Page 212 says "... "the unlimited aion" is Philo's paraphrase..."
(use) Ton apeiron aiôna, the unlimited aiön”, is Philo's paraphrase of the more-than-aion expression in Exod. 15:18 describing God's kingship. Before Philo. ton apeiron aiona is attested only once, in a fragment from Aristotle where it has the (non-philosophical) sense of “all. endless, time” (Chapter II text [33]). (meaning) [Philo in] The present passage appears to use the phrase in the same sense,[i.e. endless time. DA] while emphasizing the notion of continuity by the words “not for one moment ungoverned” and "uninterrupted”. p. 212

Philo concludes that “in aion nothing is past nor will be future. but it is only in a present state” p. 225

The meaning of aionios is brought home to us in this passage emphatically and repetitively, both with terms of permanence (“always”. “continuously”. “unintermittently”. “ceaselessly”, letting no opportunity go by”).’ and with terms that depict a cycle: “stringing together". “interlocking flow", “making to come round", “mutually joining” when Philo summarizes the section in Plant 93, he uses the verb diaionezein, which I rendered with “to remain p.229

(vi) ln his extant writings, Philo never uses the word aion in plural. The meaning of aion as Philo uses it can be described as “all the whole time.” P. 208

The meaning of aionios in Philo can be described as time-enduring’ and/or lmmortal’ p. 209

The noun aion as part of a Biblical quotation (eis ton aionas or a stronger variant) for Philo means: 'all (continuous) time’ (111-131).
The adjective aionios as it is used in the LXX according to Philo generally means: all time enduring’ ([2]), and 'immortal' (n. 119, texts [24]-|25] p.244

This passage shows that the adjective aionios for Philo is equivalent to "everlasting” (aidios), as well as to ‘imperishable” and “immortal”. p. 231

Life Time Entirety. A Study of AION in Greek Literature and Philosophy, the Septuagint and Philo
Heleen M. Keizer, 2010
Life Time Entirety. A Study of AION in Greek Literature and Philosophy, the Septuagint and Philo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I appreciate this. I have been at this forum since '00 and I learned long ago that many of the hard core heterodox are almost impossible to reach, so my efforts are to counter their false teachings. By continuing to refute their false teachings and posting the truth I might, and have, reached people who are on the fence, either considering joining or leaving a heterodox religious group.

I completely agree with you! I just wanted you to know that your work is appreciated!!!

You are doing a wonderful job........keep it up!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you must be confusing me with someone else I have always said that forever and forever means forever and forever...if you don't believe me find a single post where I have said otherwise, I dare you...I dare you because I know it doesn't exist. You are arguing with me over something that I did Not say nor believe. Which would explain a lot, don't you think?! ;) again, I did NOT say that, I said that there are all kinds of things that torment us but contrary to what many people try to claim being tormented does NOT mean that God is torturing anyone. And that is what you are trying to argue with me about....lol apparently you believe that torment means that God is sitting on His throne torturing people in the torture chamber of hell...I say that according to scripture and for those that are questioning two prevailing keys to this are 1. reading for comprehension as we were taught to do in elementary school and 2. allowing context to clarify for us what the intent of scripture is...tell us that God is NOT torturing anyone even though those in hell will be tormented day and night forever and ever....see how simple this this, it's elementary stuff. again, I have always said that fire is fire and I suspect based on elementary comprehension skills that the intent is both figurative and literal but that is something we will have to ask God when we are face to face with Him in glory.lol you really have no idea what I have said do you? Are you one of those people who just wants to argue with someone and you picked me? I said nothing in this thread about forever and forever, fire, or eternity...in fact, in this thread all I said is that where hell is torment it does not equal God being someone who is torturing anyone and from that comment you inflate an argument about all these things I said absolutely nothing about so I know you couldn't possibly know what I believe about them yet you pretend as if you do....here is a hint...to me eternity means eternity, that is, without end...I have always believed that so not sure why you think I said otherwise when I know I didn't but it isn't going well for you. again, no clue what you are talking about...I said nothing about what annihilation means... but hint...I don't know of the word being used in scripture when it applies to hell or torment forever and ever. I have a life, but apparently you don't because you are making up things that I didn't say...iow's your work of fiction here is outstanding, disturbing but outstanding...you apparently have been confusing reality with fiction and that isn't a good thing...usually that kind of thing requires professional help. But I am all about giving people the benefit of the doubt so if you realize that your accusations are all fiction and apologize I will assume that you are just mistaken about who you are talking to.

Your words from #1419..........
"10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed [f]in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and [g]brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb." Rev. 14:10 (NASB)
[/quote] how long is the torment in this passage? It isn't until verse 11 that we see that they will have no rest...now, last time I checked, if I "witness" and even happening, it is happening in my presence but I don't have to stay and watch the whole ordeal play out to have witnessed what happened.

It seems to me that you are in fact agrreing with the idea of Universalism and are in fact discounting the ETERNAL torment of the lost in the Lake of Fire.

You said......."How long is the torment in this passage?"

Forgive me but that seems to say you do not accept the torment of the lost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My dear friend, I hear what you are saying.

The problem is that when God says something, it must be true as God can not lie.

Now this particular thread on hell is not unique. It boils done to this ONE thing.

"I".....do not like what God said about hell and eternal torment. IHAVE loved ones who died in their sins and I just can not accept that a loving God would punish them eternally in a lake of fire. So, I am going to call God a liar and I am going to work and spend all of my time proving what "I" want to believe.

Who said that? I've supported my views with Scripture. Instead of dealing with Scriptures i've posted, you ignore them & keep posting misleading deceptive translations. And nonsense like that i've quoted above.

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are on the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour,
and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

Christian universalism--Ultimate Reconcilation: The True "Good News" Gospel of the Bible

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

Universalism – The Truth Shall Make You Free

http://www.hopebeyondhell.net/articles/further-study/eternity/

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is another angle to consider:
If you were born into a Christian household or country, you will most likely be a Christian.
If you were born into a Muslim household or country, you'll likely be a Muslim.
The same goes for a Buddhist household, a Jehova's witness or any other religion out there.

So is our family/country we are born in completely random? Are some/most destined for eternal torture because they were born into a particular area and religion that they did not choose?
This is where the "free will" jargon gets all gummed up. Are we really free to choose?

• Informative
Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who said that? I've supported my views with Scripture. Instead of dealing with Scriptures i've posted, you ignore them & keep posting misleading deceptive translations. And nonsense like that i've quoted above.
Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are on the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour,
and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
Ooops someone made a mistake here wrote "for ever and ever" instead of "to the ages of the ages." For most, if not all, heterodox religious groups when they say things like "deceptive translations" what they really mean is a translation which disproves their false beliefs.
.....For those who may not be familiar with my interpretation. It is often argued that αἰών/aion cannot mean eternity and αἰώνιος/aionios cannot mean eternal, forever etc. because in the NT they are both used to refer to something that is not eternal such as the world, Ephesians 2:2.

.....In 14 verses in the NT not only are "aion"/"aionios" used to refer to things eternal, etc, but "aion" is described/defined as "eternity." And "aionios" is described/defined as "eternal,""forever" etc.
Fourteen verses: 1 Timothy 1:17, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 2 Corinthians 5:1, Hebrews 7:24, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 Timothy 6:16, Galatians 6:8, Philemon 1:15, John 6:58, John 10:20, 1 John 2:17, 1 Peter 5:10, Romans 2:7, Luke 1:33

[1] 1 Timothy 1:17
(17) Now unto the King eternal, [αἰών/aion] immortal, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever [αἰών/aion] and ever [αἰώνιος/aionios]. Amen.
In this verse “aion” is in apposition, see def. below, with “immortal.” “aion” cannot mean “age(s),” a finite period and immortal at the same time. Thus “aion” means “eternal.”
[2]2 Corinthians 4:17-18
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] weight of glory;
(18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal;[πρόσκαιρος/proskairos] but the things which are not seen are eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios]
Here “aionios” is contrasted with “for a moment,” vs. 4, and “temporal,” vs. 5. “Aionios” cannot mean “age(s)” a finite period, it is not the opposite of “for a moment”/”temporal/temporary.” “Eternal” is. See Robertson below.
[3]2 Corinthians 5:1
(1)For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] in the heavens.
Here “aionios house” is contrasted with “earthly house which is destroyed.” An “aionios” house is not destroyed, the opposite of “is destroyed.” Thus “aionios” means “eternal.”
[4]Hebrews 7:24
(24) But this man, because he continueth ever.[αἰών/aion] hath an unchangeable [ἀπαράβατος/aparabatos] priesthood.
Here “aion” is in apposition with “unchangeable.” If “aion” means “age(s),” Melchizadek cannot continue “for a finite period” and be “unchangeable” at the same time. Thus “aion” means “eternal.”
[5]1 Peter 1:23
(23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever,[αἰών/aion]
Here “aion” is in apposition with “incorruptible.” The seed of God cannot be “incorruptible” and only for “a finite period” at the same time. Thus “aion” means “eternal.”
[6]1 Timothy 6:16
(16) Who only hath immortality, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting.[aionios]
Here “aionios” is in apposition with “immortality”. If “aionios” is only a finite period, God cannot be “immortal” and only exist for a finite period at the same time. Thus “aionios” means “eternal.”
[7]Galatians 6:8
(8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption;[φθορά/fthora] but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.[αἰώνιος/aionios]
Here “aionios” is contrasted with “corruption.” “fleshly” people reap “corruption” but spiritual people reap life aionios i.e. not “corruption.” Thus “aionios” means “eternal/everlasting.”
[8]Philemon 1:15
(15) Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while [ὥρα/ora] was that you might have him back forever—[αἰώνιος/aionios]
Here “aionios” is contrasted with “a little while” “Aionios” cannot mean “age(s)” a finite period, it is not the opposite of “a little while” “Eternal” is the opposite of “a little while.”.
[9]John 6:58
(58) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.[αἰώνιος/aionios]
Here “aionios” is contrasted with “death” If “aionios” is only a finite period, “A finite period” is not opposite of “death.” Thus “aionios” means “eternal.”
[10]John 10:28
(28) I give them eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life, and they shall never [αἰών/aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
Here “aionios” and “aion” are contrasted with not “snatch them out of my hand” “aionios” cannot mean a finite period, “A finite period” is not opposite of not “snatch them out of my hand.” Thus “aionios” means “eternal.”
[11]1 John 2:17
(17) The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. [αἰών/aion]
Here “aionios” is contrasted with “pass away” “aionios” cannot mean a finite period, “A finite period” is not opposite of “pass away.” Thus “aionios” means “eternal.”
[12]1 Peter 5:10
(10) And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal [αιωνιον/aionion] glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, [ολιγον/oligon] will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
Here “aionios” is contrasted with “little while” “aionios” cannot mean a finite period, A “finite period” is not opposite of “little while.” Thus “aionios” means “eternal.”
[13]Romans 2:7
(7) To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, [ἀφθαρσία/apftharsia] he will give eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.
In this verse “aion” is in apposition with “immortality.” If “aion” is only a finite period, believers cannot seek for “a finite period,” and “immortality” at the same time. But they can seek for “eternity” and “immortality” at the same time. Thus “aion” means “eternal.”
[14Luke 1:33
(33) And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; [αιωνας/aionas] and of his kingdom there shall be no end.[τελος/τελος]
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “without end.” “aionios” cannot be paired with “without end” if it means only “ages” a finite period.
======

• A. T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament 2 Co 4:17
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
Literally, “the for the moment (old adverb parautika, here only in N.T.) lightness (old word, in N.T. only here and Mat_11:30).”
More and more exceedingly (kath' huperbolēn eis huperbolēn). Like piling Pelion on Ossa, “according to excess unto excess.” See note on 1Co_12:31.
Eternal weight of glory (aiōnion baros doxēs). Careful balancing of words in contrast (affliction vs. glory, lightness vs. weight, for the moment vs. eternal).
• Vincent Word Studies in the New Testament
A far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory (καθ' ὑπερεβολὴν εἰς ὑπερβολὴν αἰώνιον βάρος δόξης)

Rev., more and more exceedingly an eternal weight, etc. An expression after the form of Hebrew superlatives, in which the emphatic word is twice repeated. Lit., exceedingly unto excess. The use of such cumulative expressions is common with Paul. See, for example, Phi_1:23, lit., much more better; Rom_8:37, abundantly the conquerors; Eph_3:20, exceeding abundantly, etc. Note how the words are offset: for a moment, eternal; light, weight; affliction, glory.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is another angle to consider:
If you were born into a Christian household or country, you will most likely be a Christian.
If you were born into a Muslim household or country, you'll likely be a Muslim.
The same goes for a Buddhist household, a Jehova's witness or any other religion out there.

So is our family/country we are born in completely random? Are some/most destined for eternal torture because they were born into a particular area and religion that they did not choose?
This is where the "free will" jargon gets all gummed up. Are we really free to choose?
Psalms 19:1-4
(1) For the director of music. A psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
(2) Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.
(3) They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them.
(4) Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
Romans 1:18-20
(18) The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness,
(19) since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
(20) For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Romans 4:15
(15) because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.
Romans 5:13
(13) To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone's account where there is no law.

Reactions: SBC
Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You quote scripture but the scripture you quote does not support your contention that all shall be saved. And BTW - that fact was addressed, not ignored.

God Bless,
SBC

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0