KawaiiChristianGal

Oct 3, 2016
At home
✟880.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There is parts in the Bible where it says God DOES hate the sinner though, I don't understand / know where all that "God loves the sinner but hates the sin" came about, because sadly that is contrary to the very Word of God. So as for hell fire the Bible points to a permanent hell, not a temporal hell, and definitely not an anihilation theory. Hell is very real and it is for those who are not saved.

• Informative
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is parts in the Bible where it says God DOES hate the sinner though, I don't understand / know where all that "God loves the sinner but hates the sin" came about, because sadly that is contrary to the very Word of God. So as for hell fire the Bible points to a permanent hell, not a temporal hell, and definitely not an anihilation theory. Hell is very real and it is for those who are not saved.
Where does the Bible say that God hates the sinner?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hell comes in basically two forms: Hades and Gehenna.

Jesus went to Hades: Acts 2:27 and as well, Hades is cast into the lake of fire: Revelation 20:14.

I presume no one is then saying that Jesus is in eternal torment in literal fire for eternity, but that Hades is signifying the grave itself. At the Revelation 20:14 verse we see the lake of fire buring up both death and Hades. So I presume we see that Hades isn't 'eternal torment' since it has an end, and that the lake of fire is symbolic of something, and isn't literal fire since literal fire of any kind can't burn up abstract concepts like death and Hades.

The other form is Gehenna, which is literally a garbage dump (or, was, and is now a pleasant field) outisde of Jerusalem. Yet, unless one is willing to concede that this is the literal etenal 'hell of torment' and billions of 'lost souls' (not including what must be myriad fallen angels and horned devils and whatnot) will be stacked up into the atmosphere, then this also must be a symbolic use of a literal place.

So we have two symbols of fire, and nothing really of 'eternal torment' alluded.

There is also the 'unquenchable fire' verses: Matthew 3:12, Luke 3:17 but these not only speak nothing of 'eternal torment' but are parables since Luke 3:18 tells us who is being spoken to and Matthew 13:34 and Mark 4:34 show that Jesus only spoke by way of parable when speaking these things to the people.

But where exactly does the bible teach the notion of a literal place of literal fire where 'sinners' are tormented for eternity? I don't mean to sound off-putting, but the entire idea that a loving God could ever do such a thing to anyone is, an ethically strange notion. I'm confident that anyone with no knowledge of a bible would view such a being as ghastly, unethical, and monstrous. Now, I realize that many will detach themselves from simple moral truths and claim 'It says so in the bible, and God is good, therefore He is still good for doing this to people' but this is, poor reasoning at best.

Does God hate sinners? Certainly. This is why God sent Christ to make an end of sin through Divine love. God hates sinners so much He will willingly endure the shame and suffering of the cross to transform them into sinless through the atonement of Christ.

But what if God is not like a man? What if the wrath of God is not like the wrath of a flesh man? What if the wrath of God works repentance, transforming sinners into saints? What if God destroys unbelievers by transforming them into believers? I've seen it happen. I've witnessed it happen to my own self.

What if Divine love doesn't put people into eternal nightmares? Does that sound radical? That love is against causing eternal suffering and horror? What if the idea of literal horror in literal eternal fire is just fearmongering by warping the spiritual understanding of the Word of God, and twisting it into a weapon of fear in order to control people? Is that possible?

The bible clearly teaches that God is love: 1 John 4:8, and that God is a consuming fire: Hebrews 12:29. Is it possible that love is a consuming fire? We know God is everlasting: Psalms 90:2. Everlasting. Fire. Love. Would anyone be shocked to find out that God is love, and doesn't ever plan on putting people into an inescapable nightmare because 30,000 Christian denominations all teaching different things confused them and caused them not to be able to understand correctly enough to avoid the eternal nightmare?

Or, is this just wishful thinking? What would you think if your neighbor's wife claimed her husband was 'love incarnate' and then told you about the torture chamber he had built under his home in which to horrifically torture people he did not like every day, all day. Would you smile and say 'Yes, he sounds like love incarnate'? Or would you call the police?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most people are confused about the passages that talk about hate. They assume that Love and hate are opposites. In the worldly understanding of love they are opposites but in the God version of Love they are not. IN fact, in the God version of Love, pride is the opposite of Love.

Therefore when scripture says that God hated Esau or that a person must hate their father and mother to follow Christ it does not mean there is a contradiction in God's nature of His teaching.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hell comes in basically two forms: Hades and Gehenna.
Jesus went to Hades: Acts 2:27 and as well, Hades is cast into the lake of fire: Revelation 20:14.
Jesus went to the grave but "hades" is used for both the grave and the place of punishment. While hades is a place and could conceivably be cast into the LoF, death is the point in time end of life, it has no physical properties and can't be literally thrown anywhere. Also neither hell nor death can or have died a first time when they are thrown into the LoF it says "which is the second death" since they did not die a first time they could not die a second death. But there is a scriptural answer which does not involve wresting scripture and mixing literal and figurative in the same sentence.
Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
In Revelation 20:14 the angel of death and the demon of hell are thrown in to the LoF and their power to kill ended.
I presume no one is then saying that Jesus is in eternal torment in literal fire for eternity, but that Hades is signifying the grave itself. At the Revelation 20:14 verse we see the lake of fire buring up both death and Hades. So I presume we see that Hades isn't 'eternal torment' since it has an end, and that the lake of fire is symbolic of something, and isn't literal fire since literal fire of any kind can't burn up abstract concepts like death and Hades.
See response immediately above.
The other form is Gehenna, which is literally a garbage dump (or, was, and is now a pleasant field) outisde of Jerusalem. Yet, unless one is willing to concede that this is the literal etenal 'hell of torment' and billions of 'lost souls' (not including what must be myriad fallen angels and horned devils and whatnot) will be stacked up into the atmosphere, then this also must be a symbolic use of a literal place.
Repeating the typical internet explanation about Gehenna. Here are the historical facts.
The traditional explanation that a burning rubbish heap in the Valley of Hinnom south of Jerusalem gave rise to the idea of a fiery Gehenna of judgment is attributed to Rabbi David Kimhi's commentary on Psalm 27:13 (ca. A.D. 1200). He maintained that in this loathsome valley fires were kept burning perpetually to consume the filth and cadavers thrown into it. However, Strack and Billerbeck state that there is neither archaeological nor literary evidence in support of this claim, in either the earlier intertestamental or the later rabbinic sources (Hermann L. Strack and Paul Billerbeck, Kommentar zum Neuen Testament aus Talmud and Midrasch, 5 vols. [Munich: Beck, 1922-56], 4:2:1030). Also a more recent author holds a similar view (Lloyd R. Bailey, "Gehenna: The Topography of Hell," Biblical Archeologist 49 [1986]: 189.
Source, Bibliotheca Sacra / July–September 1992
http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/ted...Articles/BSac-NT/Scharen-GenenaSyn-Pt1-BS.htm
Note there is no “archaeological nor literary evidence in support of this claim, [that Gehenna was ever used as a garbage dump] in either the earlier intertestamental or the later rabbinic sources” If Gehenna was ever used as a garbage dump there should be broken pottery, tools, utensils, bones, etc. but there is no such evidence.
“Gehenna is presented as diametrically opposed to ‘life’: it is better to enter life than to go to Gehenna. . .It is common practice, both in scholarly and less technical works, to associate the description of Gehenna with the supposedly contemporary garbage dump in the valley of Hinnom. This association often leads scholars to emphasize the destructive aspects of the judgment here depicted: fire burns until the object is completely consumed. Two particular problems may be noted in connection with this approach. First, there is no convincing evidence in the primary sources for the existence of a fiery rubbish dump in this location (in any case, a thorough investigation would be appreciated). Secondly, the significant background to this passage more probably lies in Jesus’ allusion to Isaiah 66:24.”
(“The Duration of Divine Judgment in the New Testament” in
The Reader Must Understand edited by K. Brower and M. W. Ellion, p. 223, emphasis mine)
G. R. Beasley-Murray in
Jesus and the Kingdom of God:
“Ge-Hinnom (Aramaic Ge-hinnam, hence the Greek Geenna), ‘The Valley of Hinnom,’ lay south of Jerusalem, immediately outside its walls. The notion, still referred to by some commentators, that the city’s rubbish was burned in this valley, has no further basis than a statement by the Jewish scholar Kimchi (sic) made about A.D. 1200; it is not attested in any ancient source. ” (p. 376n.92)
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/20113-the-burning-garbage-dump-of-gehenna-is-a-myth/

So we have two symbols of fire, and nothing really of 'eternal torment' alluded.
There is also the 'unquenchable fire' verses: Matthew 3:12, Luke 3:17 but these not only speak nothing of 'eternal torment' but are parables since Luke 3:18 tells us who is being spoken to and Matthew 13:34 and Mark 4:34 show that Jesus only spoke by way of parable when speaking these things to the people.
But where exactly does the bible teach the notion of a literal place of literal fire where 'sinners' are tormented for eternity? I don't mean to sound off-putting, but the entire idea that a loving God could ever do such a thing to anyone is, an ethically strange notion. I'm confident that anyone with no knowledge of a bible would view such a being as ghastly, unethical, and monstrous. Now, I realize that many will detach themselves from simple moral truths and claim 'It says so in the bible, and God is good, therefore He is still good for doing this to people' but this is, poor reasoning at best.
Does God hate sinners? Certainly. This is why God sent Christ to make an end of sin through Divine love. God hates sinners so much He will willingly endure the shame and suffering of the cross to transform them into sinless through the atonement of Christ.
But what if God is not like a man? What if the wrath of God is not like the wrath of a flesh man? What if the wrath of God works repentance, transforming sinners into saints? What if God destroys unbelievers by transforming them into believers? I've seen it happen. I've witnessed it happen to my own self.
What if Divine love doesn't put people into eternal nightmares? Does that sound radical? That love is against causing eternal suffering and horror? What if the idea of literal horror in literal eternal fire is just fearmongering by warping the spiritual understanding of the Word of God, and twisting it into a weapon of fear in order to control people? Is that possible?
The bible clearly teaches that God is love: 1 John 4:8, and that God is a consuming fire: Hebrews 12:29. Is it possible that love is a consuming fire? We know God is everlasting: Psalms 90:2. Everlasting. Fire. Love. Would anyone be shocked to find out that God is love, and doesn't ever plan on putting people into an inescapable nightmare because 30,000 Christian denominations all teaching different things confused them and caused them not to be able to understand correctly enough to avoid the eternal nightmare?
Or, is this just wishful thinking? What would you think if your neighbor's wife claimed her husband was 'love incarnate' and then told you about the torture chamber he had built under his home in which to horrifically torture people he did not like every day, all day. Would you smile and say 'Yes, he sounds like love incarnate'? Or would you call the police?
Among the Jews in Israel before and during the time of Jesus was a belief in a place of everlasting torment of the wicked and they called it both sheol and gehinnom.

Jewish Encyclopedia, Gehenna
The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch was originally in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem ( Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14 ). For this reason the valley was deemed to be accursed, and " Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a); [Note, this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT the bias of Christian translators.]
It is assumed in general that sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell (B.M. 83b) .
But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b).[/i]
As mentioned above, heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b). When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10 ). The Book of Enoch also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment ( x. 6, xci. 9, et al ). "The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" ( Judith xvi. 17 ). The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according to Isa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b).
Link:Jewish Encyclopedia Online
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Talmud -Tractate Rosh Hashanah Chapter 1.
The school of Hillel says: . . . but as for Minim, [follower of Jesus] informers and disbelievers, who deny the Torah, or Resurrection, or separate themselves from the congregation, or who inspire their fellowmen with dread of them, or who sin and cause others to sin, as did Jeroboam the son of Nebat and his followers, they all descend to Gehenna, and are judged there from generation to generation, as it is said [Isa. lxvi. 24]: "And they shall go forth and look upon the carcases of the men who have transgressed against Me; for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched. " Even when Gehenna will be destroyed, they will not be consumed, as it is written [Psalms, xlix. 15]: "And their forms wasteth away in the nether world," which the sages comment upon to mean that their forms shall endure even when the grave is no more. Concerning them Hannah says [I Sam. ii. 10]: "The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces."

Link:Tract Rosh Hashana: Chapter I.
When Jesus taught about,
• “Then shall he say … Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” Matthew 25:41
• "these shall go away into eternal punishment, Matthew 25:46"
• "the fire of hell where the fire is not quenched and the worm does not die, Mark 9:43-48"
• "cast into a fiery furnace where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth,” Matthew 13:42, Matthew 13:50
• “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.” Matthew 18:6
• “woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. ” Matthew 26:24
These teachings tacitly reaffirmed and sanctioned the existing Jewish view of eternal hell. In Matt. 18:6, 26:24, see above, Jesus teaches that there is a fate worse than death or nonexistence. A fate worse than death is also mentioned in Hebrews 10:28-31.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment , suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Jesus used the word death 17 times in the gospels, if He wanted to say eternal death in Matt 25:46, that is what He would have said but He didn’t, He said “eternal punishment.” The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection, they knew that everybody died; rich, poor, young, old, good, bad, men, women, children, infants and knew that it had nothing to do with punishment and was permanent. When Jesus taught “eternal punishment” they would not have understood it as death, it would have meant something worse to them.
…..Jesus knew what the Jews, believed about hell. If the Jews were wrong, when Jesus taught about man’s eternal fate, such as eternal punishment, He would have corrected them. Jesus did not correct them, thus their teaching on hell must have been correct.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican

Well, I think an important point to be made is what God does to people who disobey his commands. It's quite clear in Scripture that they can expect torture and death. I think that clearly reveals God's attitude. We don't have to go far in Scripture to see that this is the case...

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
death is the point in time end of life, it has no physical properties and can't be literally thrown anywhere.

Yes, exactly; so we should understand that the lake of fire isn't to be understood literally, but symbolically, as everything in the Revelation is to be understood.

Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Yes, I presume you agree that this is symbolic, and there is not actually a real rider on a horse named Death that has Hades literally following him? It would be quite amazing to see this literal man on his horse with all the graves in the world trailing behind him. Or, would this be the 'place of punishment' Hades trailing behind him? Myself, I'm quite certain these are symbolisms.

In Revelation 20:14 the angel of death and the demon of hell are thrown in to the LoF and their power to kill ended.

I'm sorry, 'angel of death and demon of hell'? Are you suggesting that not only are the four horsemen to be taken literally, but that we are to literally expect this 'angel of death' to be on this horse, with this literal 'demon of hell' trailing behind him?

Repeating the typical internet explanation about Gehenna. Here are the historical facts.
The traditional explanation that a burning rubbish heap in the Valley of Hinnom south of Jerusalem gave rise to the idea of a fiery Gehenna of judgment

The fact is that the word is coupled with 'fire' by Jesus, 'gehenna fire': Matthew 5:22, Matthew 18:9, Mark 9:43, etc.
But unless we're going to concede that people are all literally cast into literal Gehanna (which again would be quite a sight to see billions upon billions stacked in that small locale!) then Jesus is not speaking literally here, but symbolically. Or, as the scripture affirms, by way of parable, which as we know, are not to be taken literally. Matthew 13:34

Moreover, the apostle speaks of Gehenna fire here: James 3:6 so we should again recognize the clear use of allegory here, unless you're willing to concede that the tongue is literally made of fire? I presume not.

When Jesus taught about,
• “Then shall he say … Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” Matthew 25:41

Yes, this says everlasting fire, that is without question; the question is, does Jesus intend His words about 'everlasting fire' be taken literally?

"these shall go away into eternal punishment, Matthew 25:46"

Yes, all true. the question naturally is: what is the actual punishment?

Jesus used the word death 17 times in the gospels, if He wanted to say eternal death in Matt 25:46

I agree, and am not advocating eternal death.

He said “eternal punishment.”

Yes. Again, the question is, what is the eternal punishment?

If the Jews were wrong, when Jesus taught about man’s eternal fate, such as eternal punishment, He would have corrected them.

I, myself, am not at liberty to presume what Jesus would have or should have done; I only know what He did or did not do. Further conclusions can't really be drawn without assuming, and I have no intent on assuming the actions and words that Jesus should have, or would have done.

Yet, what I do know is love, and love does not do the things that you're interpreting Christ to be saying. Remember, we do not disagree over the words of Christ, our disagreement is coming from, how we're understanding those words. There will indeed be fire, and punishment, and weeping and gnashing of teeth. But these are done out of Divine love, with the intent to bring men out of darkness and into light.

We can go on and on about, how some take the words of Christ literally, and teach an eternal nightmare with no escape, designed by a God that 'loves' them; but one thing I do know is, love. And love does not in any way, shape or form act in that literal manner. That is in not 'kind' and love is kind. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 and that is certainly not 'love' which, God is. 1 John 4:16

Again, if a man said 'I am love' and then told you about the torture chamber beneath his home where he endlessly tortures helpless women who 'did not requite my love'; would you praise the man, or, call the police to come and remove the monster from the midst of the community?

I realize that you can detach your morality and claim 'but God says He is good, and God tortures helpless people for eternity, and that is GOOD and LOVE' but I would reply: if your interpretation of the words of God are leading you to a very disturbing picture of 'love' - are you sure you're understanding the words of God correctly?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, exactly; so we should understand that the lake of fire isn't to be understood literally, but symbolically, as everything in the Revelation is to be understood.
Everything in Revelation is symbolic and only you have the correct interpretation?
Yes, I presume you agree that this is symbolic, and there is not actually a real rider on a horse named Death that has Hades literally following him? It would be quite amazing to see this literal man on his horse with all the graves in the world trailing behind him. Or, would this be the 'place of punishment' Hades trailing behind him? Myself, I'm quite certain these are symbolisms.
There is an old maxim about interpreting scripture, "If the plain sense makes good sense, then it is nonsense to look for any other sense." A common practice among some folks is if it contradicts their assumptions/presuppositions then it is figurative. Revelation 6:8 does not say a "literal man" it says "his name that sat on him was Death." I referred to the rider as "the angel of death" because in 2 Samuel 24:17, 2 Kings 19:35[1 Chronicles 21} and Isaiah 37:6 God sent an angel to slay the wicked. The two beings referred to in Rev 6:8 were sentient, they were referred to with personal pronouns him and them.
I'm sorry, 'angel of death and demon of hell'? Are you suggesting that not only are the four horsemen to be taken literally, but that we are to literally expect this 'angel of death' to be on this horse, with this literal 'demon of hell' trailing behind him?
As I have shown God utilized angels to carry out His will in the OT.
The fact is that the word is coupled with 'fire' by Jesus, 'gehenna fire': Matthew 5:22, Matthew 18:9, Mark 9:43, etc.
But unless we're going to concede that people are all literally cast into literal Gehanna (which again would be quite a sight to see billions upon billions stacked in that small locale!) then Jesus is not speaking literally here, but symbolically. Or, as the scripture affirms, by way of parable, which as we know, are not to be taken literally. Matthew 13:34
Nothing is impossible to God. If God chooses to He can provide enough space to accomplish anything He wants to do.
Moreover, the apostle speaks of Gehenna fire here: James 3:6 so we should again recognize the clear use of allegory here, unless you're willing to concede that the tongue is literally made of fire? I presume not.
There is figurative language in the Bible that is not license to make everything figurative. See maxim above.
Yes, this says everlasting fire, that is without question; the question is, does Jesus intend His words about 'everlasting fire' be taken literally?
See maxim above.
Yes, all true. the question naturally is: what is the actual punishment?
I agree, and am not advocating eternal death.
Yes. Again, the question is, what is the eternal punishment?
See my post #1427 above.
I, myself, am not at liberty to presume what Jesus would have or should have done; I only know what He did or did not do. Further conclusions can't really be drawn without assuming, and I have no intent on assuming the actions and words that Jesus should have, or would have done.
Jesus criticized and corrected the Jewish leaders on many occasions so when He taught about eternal punishment, hell where the fire is not quenched, a fate worse than death etc., based on His previous actions, I conclude that He would not teach something that supported and affirmed the then existing Jewish belief in Hell.
Yet, what I do know is love, and love does not do the things that you're interpreting Christ to be saying. Remember, we do not disagree over the words of Christ, our disagreement is coming from, how we're understanding those words. There will indeed be fire, and punishment, and weeping and gnashing of teeth. But these are done out of Divine love, with the intent to bring men out of darkness and into light.
We can go on and on about, how some take the words of Christ literally, and teach an eternal nightmare with no escape, designed by a God that 'loves' them; but one thing I do know is, love. And love does not in any way, shape or form act in that literal manner. That is in not 'kind' and love is kind. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 and that is certainly not 'love' which, God is. 1 John 4:16
, if a man said 'I am love' and then told you about the torture chamber beneath his home where he endlessly tortures helpless women who 'did not requite my love'; would you praise the man, or, call the police to come and remove the monster from the midst of the community?
I realize that you can detach your morality and claim 'but God says He is good, and God tortures helpless people for eternity,
and that is GOOD and LOVE' but I would reply: if your interpretation of the words of God are leading you to a very disturbing picture of 'love' - are you sure you're understanding the words of God correctly?
I am not detaching my morality, rather I am not transferring my finite, fallible morality onto the infinite, infallible God. You claim that you are not at liberty to presume what Jesus would or would not do but that is exactly what you are doing. You presume that God will not punish people based on your finite, fallible understanding of love, mercy, grace etc. How does your concept of morality explain God destroying all the inhabitants of Sodom, Gomorrah and the cities of the plain, men, women, children, infants, men, women, young and old and when God commanded Israel to go into Canaan and destroy all the people men, women etc?

• Informative
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything in Revelation is symbolic and only you have the correct interpretation?

It's all symbolic, yes, but I'm not the only one who has the correct interpretation. The writers are always using symbolism that is previously defined by the writers before them. John can write his book full of symbols, and not define all of them right there, because if his reader has listened to the teachers that came before him, they will already know what the symbols mean.

Yet, even in the book itself, symbols are defined. For the ones not defined in the book, they are defined in previous books. There will never actually be four men riding on colored horses, or souls under an altar, or dragons, or beasts with women riding upon them; this is all symbolism. Just like the lake of fire which has the ability to burn up abstract concepts like death.

There is an old maxim about interpreting scripture, "If the plain sense makes good sense, then it is nonsense to look for any other sense."

I don't know about using maxims not found in the bible to interpret the bible. I just go by what the bible is teaching me. It is teaching me that the words of God are not to be taken literally, but spiritually. They can be understood literally, but this is not how God speaks and intends them to be understood. We can take the parables of Jesus literally, but this is not how we're supposed to be understanding them. The Lord is speaking in this way to cause a division between the carnal-minded, and the spiritually-minded; those that comprehend the thoughts and words of God with the earthly mind, and those that comprehend with the heavenly mind.

I referred to the rider as "the angel of death" because in 2 Samuel 24:17, 2 Kings 19:35[1 Chronicles 21} and Isaiah 37:6 God sent an angel to slay the wicked. The two beings referred to in Rev 6:8 were sentient, they were referred to with personal pronouns him and them.

But this is not grounds for interpreting a symbol literally and then juxtaposing an 'angel of death' (which I don't believe is a title found in the scripture) into the literal interpretation. This seal says nothing like 'angel of death' it says Death. Personal pronouns are used of abstract concepts all the time in scripture. This doesn't indicate God wishes us to understand the symbol as literal.

As I have shown God utilized angels to carry out His will in the OT.

Sure, but this isn't grounds for your interpretation here at Revelation. What angels are the other three riders? Is there a "demon of the great sword" and a "demon of the famine"? These are just symbols of the concepts of war, famine, death: these things are shown as the 'four sore judgments' which accompanied the conquering of the world by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon: Jeremiah 15:2 See here that these same are listed- death, sword, famine, captivity; these are the 'four horsemen' conquering, sword, famine, death. These four judgments are all over the major prophets, and they accompany the military campaign of Nebuchadnezzar who is called "The Destroyer" Jeremiah 4:7 who overcomes the 'holy people', and takes Judah away into captivity in Babylon. John is simply hearkening back to the major prophets and the 'end of the world' at the hand of the king of Babylon.

At any rate, this has nothing to do with the 'God has a torture chamber where he can eternally torture helpless women who didn't requite his love' teachings. One of the more disturbing things about this teaching is that no Christian teaching it seems to acknowledge the part a divided Christianity is playing in causing people outside the covenant with God to be confused and not be able to understand correctly. The God of justice would not condemn people who were driven away from seeking him because the teachers professing to know him were all teaching a mass of contradicting doctrines which darkened the path to understanding. This just isn't justice, and it isn't love. It just isn't God. It's a terrible misconception of God which is formed by taking His words literally and fleshly, when we are repeatedly taught that God is spirit, and His words are spirit.

Nothing is impossible to God. If God chooses to He can provide enough space to accomplish anything He wants to do.

Sure, but it being 'possible' doesn't suddenly cause the teaching to make sense, or be correct. I'm confident that there is not going to be a literal stack of bodies reaching the atmosphere and beyond over in the literal land of Israel. It's absurd. And to mention again James 3:6 The tongue is clearly not a literal fire, and the use of Gehenna fire in that verse is also clearly not literal in turn. These are to be understood spiritually, figuratively. Hebrews 12:29 God is not a literal, carnal fire: God is spirit John 4:24, God is love 1 John 4:8, God is WORD John 1:1, the everlasting spiritual fire is the WORD OF GOD. That book in our hands that burns a sinner who reads it, and pricks his heart, and causing weeping over his fallen state; those words that renew, and transform the spirit; those words that divide spirit and soul asunder, and purge the mind of evil men. That is the everlasting fire prepared for the false accuser.

Jeremiah 23:29
Jeremiah 5:14 This is figurative: the Word of God isn't literal fire, Jeremiah didn't spew a jet of flame upon people who were literally made from wood; the same is used in the Revelation of the two witnesses, who are two candlesticks preaching the everlasting gospel - they're not literal candlesticks, literally jetting flame at people.

All of the fire in the bible is talking about the gospel being preached to sinners and false teachers, and what it does to them in their hearts and minds. Causing weeping and gnashing of teeth, moving them to repent, and destroy the old man, and be born anew into the spiritual man. Truth burns. It destroys. It transforms. It purifies. And I realize I'm going on long here but this is a deep subject; but I will add that, this fire, this Gehenna fire: I know that most Christians like to think it's all for those 'sinners' outside of the new covenant. But what if I told you that's not the case? That as far as God is concerned, all of those unbelievers outside of the covenant are not to be judged by fire- but that this fire is specially prepared for those within the new covenant. What if wheat and chaff aren't meaning, Christians and non-Christians: but, approved Christian teachers, and rejected Christian teachers? Because remember, Jesus wasn't sent to the Gentiles outside of the old covenant; Jesus was sent specifically to speak those INSIDE the old covenant. So His words weren't for both Israelite believers in Jehovah's covenant, and Gentile unbelievers who weren't in covenant with Jehovah: but only to all the Israelite believers in Jehovah's covenant.

Jesus criticized and corrected the Jewish leaders on many occasions so when He taught about eternal punishment, hell where the fire is not quenched, a fate worse than death etc., based on His previous actions, I conclude that He would not teach something that supported and affirmed the then existing Jewish belief in Hell.

I only trust the bible. I have no idea what the beliefs of the Jews were two-thousand years ago, but I know they can't be relevant to me now. The bible says all I need is the scripture, so that is all I'm willing and want to use to be 'perfectly equipped'. Through the bible, I can understand what Jesus and His apostles are teaching, and that they are teaching 'the people' in parables not to be taken literally, but to be spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:14

I am not detaching my morality

Well we know that the fact is that if what you were teaching concerning God and His 'eternal torture chamber in the basement' were true of any other being in existence, you'd rightfully acknowledge the monstrosity. But when it comes to God, we both agree God is just and good and holy; but then since you've taken the fiery punishment passages literally, and created a picture of God as a loving, just, holy being who has a torture chamber to endlessly torture helpless women who didn't requite his love, you've forced yourself into a corner where you have to admantly claim that the torturer of helpless women is just and good and holy, anyway; and has the right to torture helpless women. But at some point I would think you would look at that teaching and say to yourself 'something seems off in this teaching- could I be misunderstanding something?' Because really, which is more likely, God tortures helpless women in his basement, or, someowhere you're misunderstanding the words?

You presume that God will not punish people based on your finite, fallible understanding of love, mercy, grace etc.

I have not said there is no punishment.

How does your concept of morality explain God destroying all the inhabitants of Sodom, Gomorrah and the cities of the plain, men, women, children, infants, men, women, young and old and when God commanded Israel to go into Canaan and destroy all the people men, women etc?

Physical death is nothing, the spirit returns to God. It's not even remotely close to the idea of an inescapable eternal nightmare.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's all symbolic, yes, but I'm not the only one who has the correct interpretation. The writers are always using symbolism that is previously defined by the writers before them. John can write his book full of symbols, and not define all of them right there,
because if his reader has listened to the teachers that came before him, they will already know what the symbols mean.
If true, and there is no evidence that it is, how are modern readers supposed to understand all this supposed symbolism? Please show me a few examples where the so-called symbolism in Revelation is defined? What I see are various heterodox groups interpreting “symbolism” to fit their heterodox teaching.
Yet, even in the book itself, symbols are defined. For the ones not defined in the book, they are defined in previous books. There will never actually be four men riding on colored horses, or souls under an altar, or dragons, or beasts with women riding upon them; this is all symbolism. Just like the lake of fire which has the ability to burn up abstract concepts like death.
Same request as above. When you make claims like this you need to back them up and I have not seen any.
I don't know about using maxims not found in the bible to interpret the bible. I just go by what the bible is teaching me. It is teaching me that the words of God are not to be taken literally, but spiritually. They can be understood literally, but this is not how God speaks and intends them to be understood. We can take the parables of Jesus literally, but this is not how we're supposed to be understanding them.
The Lord is speaking in this way to cause a division between the carnal-minded, and the spiritually-minded; those that comprehend the thoughts and words of God with the earthly mind, and those that comprehend with the heavenly mind.
None of this is written in scripture. It is nothing but your opinion. You reject maxims used by scholars instead you just make everything figurative to support your heterodox interpretations.
But this is not grounds for interpreting a symbol literally and then juxtaposing an 'angel of death' (which I don't believe is a title found in the scripture) into the literal interpretation. This seal says nothing like 'angel of death' it says Death. Personal pronouns are used of abstract concepts all the time in scripture. This doesn't indicate God wishes us to understand the symbol as literal.
Prove it?
Sure, but this isn't grounds for your interpretation here at Revelation. What angels are the other three riders? Is there a "demon of the great sword" and a "demon of the famine"? These are just symbols of the concepts of war, famine, death: these things are shown as the 'four sore judgments' which accompanied the conquering of the world by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon: Jeremiah 15:2 See here that these same are listed- death, sword, famine, captivity; these are the 'four horsemen'
conquering, sword, famine, death
. These four judgments are all over the major prophets, and they accompany the military campaign of Nebuchadnezzar who is called "The Destroyer" Jeremiah 4:7 who overcomes the 'holy people', and takes Judah away into captivity in Babylon. John is simply hearkening back to the major prophets and the 'end of the world' at the hand of the king of Babylon.
Prove it? That is wild wresting of scripture. The phrase “the destroyer” Jer 4:7 is not a title! Your proof text says “the destroyer of the Gentiles is on his way.” Your “judgment” conclusion is off-base “conquering” does not mean "captivity."
At any rate, this has nothing to do with the 'God has a torture chamber where he can eternally torture helpless women who didn't requite his love' teachings. One of the more disturbing things about this teaching is that no Christian teaching it seems to acknowledge the part a divided Christianity is playing in causing people outside the covenant with God to be confused and not be able to understand correctly.
The God of justice would not condemn people who were driven away from seeking him because the teachers professing to know him were all teaching a mass of contradicting doctrines which darkened the path to understanding. This just isn't justice, and it isn't love. It just isn't God. It's a terrible misconception of God which is formed by taking His words literally and fleshly, when we are repeatedly taught that God is spirit, and His words are spirit.
So is it your reasoning that when God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and commanded Israel to destroy the Cannanites He was demonstrating love, mercy, grace etc? Red highlights are nothing but your unsupported opinion.
Sure, but it being 'possible' doesn't suddenly cause the teaching to make sense, or be correct. I'm confident that there is not going to be a literal stack of bodies reaching the atmosphere and beyond over in the literal land of Israel. It's absurd.
And where does any verse say anything like this?
And to mention again James 3:6 The tongue is clearly not a literal fire, and the use of Gehenna fire in that verse is also clearly not literal in turn. These are to be understood spiritually, figuratively. Hebrews 12:29 God is not a literal, carnal fire: God is spirit John 4:24, God is love 1 John 4:8, God is WORD John 1:1, the everlasting spiritual fire is the WORD OF GOD. That book in
our hands that burns a sinner who reads it, and pricks his heart, and causing weeping over his fallen state; those words that renew, and transform the spirit; those words that divide spirit and soul asunder, and purge the mind of evil men. That is the everlasting fire prepared for the false accuser.
I have already acknowledged that there is some figurative language in the Bible none of your proof texts prove anything about any other verses.
Jeremiah 23:29
Jeremiah 5:14 This is figurative: the Word of God isn't literal fire, Jeremiah didn't spew a jet of flame upon people who were literally made from wood; the same is used in the Revelation of the two witnesses, who are two candlesticks preaching the everlasting gospel - they're not literal candlesticks, literally jetting flame at people.
You keep ignoring my responses.
All of the fire in the bible is talking about the gospel being preached to sinners and false teachers, and what it does to them in their hearts and minds. Causing weeping and gnashing of teeth, moving them to repent, and destroy the old man, and be born anew into the spiritual man. Truth burns. It destroys. It transforms. It purifies. And I realize I'm going on long here but this is a deep subject; but I will add that, this fire, this Gehenna fire:
More unsupported opinion. Twisting scripture to make the Bible conform to your assumptions/presuppositions.
I know that most Christians like to think it's all for those 'sinners' outside of the new covenant. But what if I told you that's not the case? That as far as God is concerned, all of those unbelievers outside of the covenant are not to be judged by fire- but that this fire is specially prepared for those within the new covenant. What if wheat and chaff aren't meaning, Christians and non-Christians: but, approved Christian teachers,
and rejected Christian teachers? Because remember, Jesus wasn't sent to the Gentiles outside of the old covenant; Jesus was sent specifically to speak those INSIDE the old covenant. So His words weren't for both Israelite believers in Jehovah's covenant, and Gentile unbelievers who weren't in covenant with Jehovah: but only to all the Israelite believers in Jehovah's covenant.
More twisting more unsupported opinion.
I only trust the bible. I have no idea what the beliefs of the Jews were two-thousand years ago, but I know they can't be relevant to me now. The bible says all I need is the scripture, so that is all I'm willing and want to use to be 'perfectly equipped'. Through the bible, I can understand what Jesus and His apostles are teaching, and that they are teaching 'the people' in parables not to be taken literally, but to be spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:14
Your opinion has no relevance. Jesus certainly knew what the Jews of His day believed and corrected their teachings on several occasions.
Well we know that the fact is that if what you were teaching concerning God and His 'eternal torture chamber in the basement' were true of any other being in existence, you'd rightfully acknowledge the monstrosity. But when it comes to God, we both agree God is just and good and holy; but then since you've taken the fiery punishment passages literally, and created a picture
of God as a loving, just, holy being who has a torture chamber to endlessly torture helpless women who didn't requite his love, you've forced yourself into a corner where you have to admantly claim that the torturer of helpless women is just and good and holy, anyway; and has the right to torture helpless women.
But at some point I would think you would look at that teaching and say to yourself 'something seems off in this teaching- could I be misunderstanding something?' Because really, which is more likely, God tortures helpless women in his basement, or, someowhere you're misunderstanding the words?
I have heard all this song and dance many times before. Your only answer is to make everything figurative to make it support your heterodox teaching
I have not said there is no punishment.
Physical death is nothing, the spirit returns to God. It's not even remotely close to the idea of an inescapable eternal nightmare.
Was God demonstrating love, mercy and grace when He destroyed all the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah and commanded Israel to attack the Canaanites and kill all the inhabitants men, women , children, infants etc? Seems like your only objection is to the duration of the punishment.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I think an important point to be made is what God does to people who disobey his commands. It's quite clear in Scripture that they can expect torture and death. I think that clearly reveals God's attitude. We don't have to go far in Scripture to see that this is the case...

Yes, but what is the purpose of the torture and death? Does God torture/torment us and kill us because he enjoys doing it or is there a deeper significance behind the punishment he gives that actually benefits the one being punished, unbeknownst to them at the time of punishment?

Anytime I consider punishing my son, it's because I desire to correct and refine him, not because I enjoy punishing him or desire to continue punishing him endlessly. When I do punish him, he is in a state of torment, but it doesn't last forever and I would hate for it to last forever because that's not the purpose of the punishment, the purpose is to correct. If I'm made in God's image, why would I expect God to desire for anyone's punishment to be unending? Why wouldn't I expect God's punishments to correct and refine the one being punished if He is a loving Father in a similar way that I love my son?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but what is the purpose of the torture and death? Does God torture/torment us and kill us because he enjoys doing it or is there a deeper significance behind the punishment he gives that actually benefits the one being punished, unbeknownst to them at the time of punishment?
Scripture?
Anytime I consider punishing my son, it's because I desire to correct and refine him, not because I enjoy punishing him or desire to continue punishing him endlessly. When I do punish him, he is in a state of torment, but it doesn't last forever and I would hate for it to last forever because that's not the purpose of the punishment, the purpose is to correct.
If I'm made in God's image, why would I expect God to desire for anyone's punishment to be unending? Why wouldn't I expect God's punishments to correct and refine the one being punished if He is a loving Father in a similar way that I love my son?
I don't see any scripture supporting this view. But I do see references to what you think, consider, desire, expect etc. This assumes that God thinks exactly as you do about this topic.
Isaiah 55:8-9
(8) For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.[YHWH]
(9) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Remember that the people being punished are not his children.

Romans 8:15
"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Your putting limits on the scope and power of God's love. We were all once children of the devil, that's why we're in this mess of a world, God is taking back what is rightfully his, which is all creation.

I pray our understanding of the true goodness of God is increased to the full by the power of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If true, and there is no evidence that it is, how are modern readers supposed to understand all this supposed symbolism?

By reading their bibles and correlating the information, just as they would in any other type of learning. For instance, John sees a beast rising from the sea. This is a symbol. But how is it understood? Those who studied Daniel (which comes before the Revelation) will immediately understand this is symbolic of a king and his kingdom: Daniel 7:3, Daniel 7:17, Daniel 7:23

Please show me a few examples where the so-called symbolism in Revelation is defined? What I see are various heterodox groups interpreting “symbolism” to fit their heterodox teaching.

1. Candelstick are churches, this is a type of symbol explained in the vision itself: Revelation 1:20
2. Beasts are kings and their kingdom (see above)
3. Fine white robes are the righteousness of the saints: Revelation 19:8
4. The temple is the church: Revelation 11:1, 1 Corinthians 3:17

The real question is, knowing that there is so much symbolism in the Revelation, why would you think any of it is to be understood literally? You seem in agreement with me that there is symbolism in the Revelation. Of this we agree. When I say, it is all symbolism, there arises no confusion. But when you say, some is to be taken literally - now confusion enters: which is literal? How do we determine which is literal? By what biblical teaching? We have no sure guideline for noting the difference between the two, so can never be sure what is literal and what isn't.

But if it is all symbol, or, parable; then there is no confusion in that regard. We know how we are to understand the words - as 'heavenly' or 'spiritual' and not a confusing mix of the two which leaves us questioning, how do I understand these words?

Especially of the lake of fire (which is the crux of our citing of the Revelation); when you see this concept in a book full of symbolism, and read that this fire burns up abstract concepts such as "death", why would you possibly take this literally?

You reject maxims used by scholars

I make no apologies at all for completely disregarding the "maxims of men" when understanding the Word of God. After all, God says, not to trust them at all.

Prove it?

Proverbs 1:20, Proverbs 9:1

Prove it?

Are you suggesting that the captivity, the sword, the famine, and death, do not correlate with the conquering, the sword, the famine, and death? How can you in good faith make such a claim?

I didn't say it was a title, I said that is what he is called; and the one who brings "the four sore judgments" is clearly called "the Destroyer"

Your “judgment” conclusion is off-base “conquering” does not mean "captivity."

In all honesty, and I say this in the most friendly manner possible, I do not feel you wish to dialogue at all. How can you in good faith make a claim such as "conquering" is not "captivity"? You know well that to conquer is to take captive. This is even expounded upon further in the Revelation 13:7, Revelation 13:10 The word "conquer" in the first seal is "nikao" which is the same word used at 13:10 "overcame-nikao"

The same four concepts "the four judgments" presented by Jeremiah are identically presented by John; both in relation to an apocalyptic "end of the world" at the hands of a "destroyer" who "overcomes the holy people" and "builds and image" and forces "all peoples, nations and languages" to "worship the image or die" and whose military campain is accompanied by "conquering, the sword, the famine and death": this is yet another example of how you use the bible to correlate the teachings that came before, with those that come after. This is why John doesn't have to define every symbol if a teacher before him has already done so. Because if you know your scripture, then you should understand the symbols used by John without him having to define them all unless introduced by him. This is how teaching works- by building on the teachings that came before.

And where does any verse say anything like this?

If you're taking the Gehenna passages literally then you have no choice but to come to that conclusion. If the "sinners" are all literally going into Gehenna then they are all literally going into that literal locale called Gehenna. Do the math and you will find that billions of people would have to be stacked into the atmosphere to all occupy that same tiny locale in the Middle East.

Or, are you perhaps suggesting that we not take the words literally? Or, half and half?

More unsupported opinion. Twisting scripture to make the Bible conform to your assumptions/presuppositions.

Here is another verse speaking of "weeping and gnashing of teeth": Luke 13:28 You'll notice no mentioning of "fire" in that passage. So, why do you think there is "weeping and gnashing of teeth"? Could it be because of the harsh truth those "thrust out of the kingdom" are having to face?

More twisting more unsupported opinion.

So now you're claiming that stating Jesus was not sent to the Gentiles, and His ministry was specifically to those in covenant with Jehovah, is "twisting scripture". I can only presume at this point that you have very little knowledge of the bible: Matthew 15:24, John 1:11 It was not until those in covenant with Jehovah rejected Him, that he turned to the Gentiles: Acts 14:27, Acts 18:6

Your opinion has no relevance.

You don't know what the Jews of two-thousand years ago believed, either. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. Surely I agree you put much faith in the teachings and understandings of men in this regard: I do not. Neither do I need them, as the scripture teaches: 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Was God demonstrating love, mercy and grace when He destroyed all the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah and commanded Israel to attack the Canaanites and kill all the inhabitants men, women , children, infants etc? Seems like your only objection is to the duration of the punishment.

It was. Our only agreement is that there is punishment for sin. This is less about punishment, and more about, taking the spiritual words of a spiritual God, and teaching them to others in a literal, carnal fashion, which in turn paints a loving and just God as a horrific monster. My objection is not to punishment, my objection is the carnal-minded teaching of spiritual-minded truths; the putting of darkness for light. Isaiah 55:9 The thoughts and ways of the Lord are heavenly, spiritual, and not, earthly, carnal. The carnal mind with its carnal understanding of the spiritual words are the thoughts and understanding of men, and not God. This is the mind of the beast, and not the mind of the Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By reading their bibles and correlating the information, just as they would in any other type of learning. For instance, John sees a beast rising from the sea. This is a symbol. But how is it understood? Those who studied Daniel (which comes before the Revelation) will immediately understand this is symbolic of a king and his kingdom: Daniel 7:3, Daniel 7:17, Daniel 7:23
Or course when figurative language is explained, it is figurative but that is not license to say everything is figurative.
1. Candelstick are churches, this is a type of symbol explained in the vision itself: Revelation 1:20
2. Beasts are kings and their kingdom (see above)
3. Fine white robes are the righteousness of the saints: Revelation 19:8
4. The temple is the church: Revelation 11:1, 1 Corinthians 3:17
See first response.
The real question is, knowing that there is so much symbolism in the Revelation, why would you think any of it is to be understood literally? You seem in agreement with me that there is symbolism in the Revelation. Of this we agree. When I say, it is all symbolism, there arises no confusion.
But when you say, some is to be taken literally - now confusion enters: which is literal? How do we determine which is literal? By what biblical teaching? We have no sure guideline for noting the difference between the two, so can never be sure what is literal and what isn't.
I have already given my answer, you blew it off because it contradicts your assumptions/presuppositions.
Especially of the lake of fire (which is the crux of our citing of the Revelation); when you see this concept in a book full of symbolism, and read that this fire burns up abstract concepts such as "death", why would you possibly take this literally?
I have already explained this from scripture you blew it off because it didn't fit your assumptions/presuppositions.
I make no apologies at all for completely disregarding the "maxims of men" when understanding the Word of God. After all, God says, not to trust them at all.
That is why I ignore your unsupported opinions.
Are you suggesting that the captivity, the sword, the famine, and death, do not correlate with the conquering, the sword, the famine, and death? How can you in good faith make such a claim?
As I said "conquering" does not mean "captivity." Some who are conquered are taken captive but many who are conquered are killed not taken captive.
I didn't say it was a title, I said that is what he is called; and the one who brings "the four sore judgments" is clearly called "the Destroyer"
When you quote the words "the Destroyer" out-of-context you make it a title. It is qualified "the destroyer of the gentiles."
In all honesty, and I say this in the most friendly manner possible, I do not feel you wish to dialogue at all. How can you in good faith make a claim such as "conquering" is not "captivity"? You know well that to conquer is to take captive. This is even expounded upon further in the Revelation 13:7, Revelation 13:10 The word "conquer" in the first seal is "nikao" which is the same word used at 13:10 "overcame-nikao"
Explained this above.
The same four concepts "the four judgments" presented by Jeremiah are identically presented by John; both in relation to an apocalyptic "end of the world" at the hands of a "destroyer" who "overcomes the holy people" and "builds and image" and forces "all peoples, nations and languages" to "worship the image or die"
and whose military campain is accompanied by "conquering, the sword, the famine and death": this is yet another example of how you use the bible to correlate the teachings that came before, with those that come after. This is why John doesn't have to define every symbol if a teacher before him has already done so.
Because if you know your scripture, then you should understand the symbols used by John without him having to define them all unless introduced by him. This is how teaching works- by building on the teachings that came before.
Answered this above.
If you're taking the Gehenna passages literally then you have no choice but to come to that conclusion. If the "sinners" are all literally going into Gehenna then they are all literally going into that literal locale called Gehenna. Do the math and you will find that billions of people would have to be stacked into the atmosphere to all occupy that same tiny locale in the Middle East.
You keep saying that I don't know what the Jews believed 2000 years ago. I do in fact know because they wrote it down. I have presented evidence from the Jewish Encyclopedia and the Talmud, which OBTW is known as historical evidence, that the name "Gehinnom" which originally referred to a valley near Jerusalem soon became one of the terms for what we call hell. Whether Gehenna refers to the valley or hell is determined by context. I also presented sources which document that there is no written or archaeological evidence that the Gehinnom valley was ever used as a trash dump.
Or, are you perhaps suggesting that we not take the words literally? Or, half and half?
Asked and answered.
Here is another verse speaking of "weeping and gnashing of teeth": Luke 13:28 You'll notice no mentioning of "fire" in that passage. So, why do you think there is "weeping and gnashing of teeth"? Could it be because of the harsh truth those "thrust out of the kingdom" are having to face?
So is it your argument that wailing and gnashing of teeth can only occur when the Jews are cast out of the kingdom? Jesus Himself said "cast into a furnace of fire where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Do you propose that we understand Matthew 13:42 and Matthew 13:50 figuratively?
So now you're claiming that stating Jesus was not sent to the Gentiles, and His ministry was specifically to those in covenant with Jehovah, is "twisting scripture". I can only presume at this point that you have very little knowledge of the bible: Matthew 15:24, John 1:11 It was not until those in covenant with Jehovah rejected Him, that he turned to the Gentiles: Acts 14:27, Acts 18:6
I suggest you reread what I wrote, I said nothing which could be construed to mean what you claim.
You don't know what the Jews of two-thousand years ago believed, either. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. Surely I agree you put much faith in the teachings and understandings of men in this regard: I do not. Neither do I need them, as the scripture teaches: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
As I said I do know what the Jews believed 2000 years ago because they wrote it down and passed it down to their descendants. I have read that if we ignore our history we are doomed to repeat it.
It was. Our only agreement is that there is punishment for sin. This is less about punishment, and more about, taking the spiritual words of a spiritual God, and teaching them to others in a literal, carnal fashion, which in turn paints a loving and just God as a horrific monster.
My objection is not to punishment, my objection is the carnal-minded teaching of spiritual-minded truths; the putting of darkness for light.
Isaiah 55:9 The thoughts and ways of the Lord are heavenly, spiritual, and not, earthly, carnal. The carnal mind with its carnal understanding of the spiritual words are the thoughts and understanding of men, and not God. This is the mind of the beast, and not the mind of the Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16
Perhaps if you confined your self to addressing the scripture rather than repeatedly making insulting accusations we might have a civil discussion. I don't think God appointed you judge.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or course when figurative language is explained, it is figurative but that is not license to say everything is figurative.

See first response.

I have already given my answer, you blew it off because it contradicts your assumptions/presuppositions.

I have already explained this from scripture you blew it off because it didn't fit your assumptions/presuppositions.

That is why I ignore your unsupported opinions.

As I said "conquering" does not mean "captivity." Some who are conquered are taken captive but many who are conquered are killed not taken captive.

When you quote the words "the Destroyer" out-of-context you make it a title. It is qualified "the destroyer of the gentiles."

Explained this above.

Answered this above.

You keep saying that I don't know what the Jews believed 2000 years ago. I do in fact know because they wrote it down. I have presented evidence from the Jewish Encyclopedia and the Talmud, which OBTW is known as historical evidence, that the name "Gehinnom" which originally referred to a valley near Jerusalem soon became one of the terms for what we call hell. Whether Gehenna refers to the valley or hell is determined by context. I also presented sources which document that there is no written or archaeological evidence that the Gehinnom valley was ever used as a trash dump.

Asked and answered.

So is it your argument that wailing and gnashing of teeth can only occur when the Jews are cast out of the kingdom? Jesus Himself said "cast into a furnace of fire where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Do you propose that we understand Matthew 13:42 and Matthew 13:50 figuratively?

I suggest you reread what I wrote, I said nothing which could be construed to mean what you claim.

As I said I do know what the Jews believed 2000 years ago because they wrote it down and passed it down to their descendants. I have read that if we ignore our history we are doomed to repeat it.

Perhaps if you confined your self to addressing the scripture rather than repeatedly making insulting accusations we might have a civil discussion. I don't think God appointed you judge.

I am sorry to have bothered you, brother. I hope you understand that my words are always spoken in love for the intent of edification of the people who hear the words. But here our course has run to its ending. I am thankful for your dialogue. Peace.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8:15
"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Your putting limits on the scope and power of God's love. We were all once children of the devil, that's why we're in this mess of a world, God is taking back what is rightfully his, which is all creation.

I pray our understanding of the true goodness of God is increased to the full by the power of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

That applies to people who obey God's commands. To those who disobey it does not apply.

Upvote 0