Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a member of the Grammar Nazi Party now that you mention it. But seriously, I'm not changing the name so I suggest you get over it...like right now because I'm coming down from a hangover and looking for work so don't even start with me.:)

Sorry about your hangover from being drunk, but here are some links to perhaps educate you a bit on the Young Turks:

Armenian Genocide of 1915: An Overview - New York Times
Young Turks and the Armenian Genocide
Armenian Deportees: 1915-1916

And this is important today - the reason that Christians are being persecuted and killed today in the Middle East is because attitudes of indifference to the Armenian Genocide permit the cycle to continue.

I would expect a racist name for a conservative but not in "the Democratic Safe House"; as a Democrat and a liberal, I believe we are supposed to be sensitive and respectful to all and especially the downtrodden.

I'll put it to the leadership on this forum to make a decision on your screen name.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I would expect a racist name for a conservative but not in "the Democratic Safe House"; as a Democrat and a liberal, I believe we are supposed to be sensitive and respectful to all and especially the downtrodden.

I'll put it to the leadership on this forum to make a decision on your screen name.

He has already explained where he got the name from and it has nothing to do with "racism". There is no "leadership" that can tell him to change his name and I personally hope he doesn't bow to any pressure from you, and keeps the name. If you continue to have a problem with it you can always choose to block him so you won't have to be offended.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He has already explained where he got the name from and it has nothing to do with "racism".

Actually, it does have to do with racism. I believe that he didn't know that and that you and others didn't or don't know that. But that's what the name is rooted in.

A lot of people don't believe the name "Redskins" is offensive, but Native Americans say it is. However, they - like us - don't have as respected a position in America so racial insensitivity towards such groups is accepted.

Problem is, that doesn't make these names and terms any less offensive.

So, you may choose to believe that the name is not racist, but that doesn't make it so. The facts speak for themselves.

As I said, this is supposed to be the Democratic Safe House - I wouldn't expect bigotry based on ethnicity to be permitted here at all, much less tolerated.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
As I said, this is supposed to be the Democratic Safe House - I wouldn't expect bigotry based on ethnicity to be permitted here at all, much less tolerated.
From what I have seen, he is not a bigot and on the basis of 123 posts I doubt you know much about this group or these people. I would suggest that you take your concerns to a moderator and stop disrupting this group/thread.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I have seen, he is not a bigot and on the basis of 123 posts I doubt you know much about this group or these people. I would suggest that you take your concerns to a moderator and stop disrupting this group/thread.

I never said he's a bigot. The name is an offensive name. There's no need for your personal attack on me, Hetta.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I never said he's a bigot. The name is an offensive name. There's no need for your personal attack on me, Hetta.

Seriously? You talk about bigotry not being allowed and you've been hounding the guy despite his explanations. Again, take it to the moderators of CF. It's getting old.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
ADMIN HAT ON

Easy there, folks. This is the safe house. I know that doesn't mean you'll agree on everything, but a bit more civility is expected. Any concerns can be brought to the Member Service Center.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Towels have a sexual preference? :O
What I just love is that they're starting to realize this is a war they cannot win.

No matter how much they try, they can't hold back the relentless tide of progress.

Upvote 0
S

Savior2006

Sorry about your hangover from being drunk, but here are some links to perhaps educate you a bit on the Young Turks:

Armenian Genocide of 1915: An Overview - New York Times
Young Turks and the Armenian Genocide
Armenian Deportees: 1915-1916

And this is important today - the reason that Christians are being persecuted and killed today in the Middle East is because attitudes of indifference to the Armenian Genocide permit the cycle to continue.

I actually might change my name after all. I've got a little something else in mind.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I actually might change my name after all. I've got a little something else in mind.

OK. Whatever you choose to do is fine.

I apologize to you for coming on so strong. The subject is personal to me and I, like many Armenians, tend to react strongly when it sometimes isn't entirely warranted. So, I'm sorry I came at you so harshly without even knowing you. I'm sure I did myself and my own view/cause a disservice rather than providing information or sharing a truth, so that's on me. But I realize I was too harsh towards you and for that I truly do apologize.

So, not that it should really matter, but just so you know, whatever you choose regarding your name is fine by me, whether I like it or not. I'm sure you're not a bigot or have an intention of being offensive with that name.

God Bless,
-John

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
OK. Whatever you choose to do is fine.

I apologize to you for coming on so strong. The subject is personal to me and I, like many Armenians, tend to react strongly when it sometimes isn't entirely warranted. So, I'm sorry I came at you so harshly without even knowing you. I'm sure I did myself and my own view/cause a disservice rather than providing information or sharing a truth, so that's on me. But I realize I was too harsh towards you and for that I truly do apologize.

So, not that it should really matter, but just so you know, whatever you choose regarding your name is fine by me, whether I like it or not. I'm sure you're not a bigot or have an intention of being offensive with that name.

God Bless,
-John
I apologize for coming after you. This is usually a peaceful place and I made it uncomfortable. Apologies to everyone for that.

(My second internet apology today, I must polish my halo later)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

Savior2006

"Same arguments rehashed" over and over again in thread after thread, not just the gay rights one. It's tiring.

I usually find myself going to AF just to cleanse my palette of all the nonsense I find here. It's usually my own fault, because I'm here in the first place. But I really get depressed sometimes reading some of the comments.

The idea that had person has not changed his name to sound more "English," is not properly "melted" in the melting pot, I mean, what do you say to that? If the tables were turned and the person had to go to a different country, he wouldn't think for one second of changing his name. The idea would repulse him.

My dad is always like "Why do you go to that place to argue with people. My brain cannot allow me to argue with people like that."

And I'm like "dad, it's fun for me." But it's losing a lot of its fun. I might need to take a break.

Upvote 0