• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The Demise of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by lasthero, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,274
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    That's still a lie, no matter how many times you repeat it.

2. roman2819

roman2819 Author, "Understanding Prayer, Faith & God's Will" Supporter

+160
    Singapore
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So according to you, evolution does not say how life begin, but it explains how they evolved? Would you state a few examples of what evolved into what? Amphibians to reptiles? Or monkeys to humans? Some people here keep saying I do not understand evolution, so I m waiting to hear clear concise key points about this theory which has allowed itself to be seen as a no-god theory for more than 50 years. Dont say what evolution is not, try to say what it is, what are the main features.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Member

+107
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Show me an example of not designed. You have no example so you can't determine designed.

4. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+6,827
    Atheist
    Single
    Quite often from the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. You know, that law that creationists get wrong all of the time?

5. Subduction Zone

+6,827
    Atheist
    Single
    I really doubt that. It probably only gives the illusion of working for you.

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Member

+107
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Allegedly. there is no evidence of this

7. Subduction Zone

+6,827
    Atheist
    Single
    You did not understand the point. Life may have arisen naturally, in fact it probably did. The point was that regardless of the original source of life we know that life evolved after it was here.

And it is hard to give examples when you have such a poor understanding of the theory. You keep saying "evolve into something" as if there was a goal. There are no goals in evolution Except for perhaps survival. But the idea that a species tries to evolve into something else does not enter into it. Perhaps if you start with the idea of cladistics. That shows how there is no change in kind in evolution. Would be willing to give that a shot?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,274
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    No, what he is saying is that the theory of evolution does not deal with how the first life forms came into existence, only with how they evolved and diversified after that. The origin of life is studied as a separate branch of science altogether, called abiogenesis. And no, the theory of abiogenesis does not deny the existence of God either, no matter how you try to twist it.

9. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,350
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    It's not just about similarity. It's about patterns of similarity.

The process of evolution is constrained by its mechanisms, primarily inheritance. And while there are known mechanisms for horizontal DNA transfer (such as viral insertions), the primary mechanism that contributes to an organism's DNA is genetic inheritance from its parent organisms.

Thus when examining the patterns of DNA in populations of organisms the pattern that emerges is one of inheritance. IOW, that organisms appear to share common ancestors as opposed to independent creation.

Now a designer wouldn't be constrained in this manner. A designer could mix 'n match DNA in ways far beyond the constraints of biological evolution. And if you look at what scientists do with genetic engineering, this is exactly what they do.

Thus you have everything from blatant chimeric organisms (like these glow in the dark rabbits made using jellyfish DNA), to encoding of computer data in a genome (like encoding an animated GIF into a bacteria) to the invention of completely novel DNA nucleotides.

The above represents things a designer could do that wouldn't fit with what we know of biological evolution. So why when we look at nature do we not see patterns of those things? Why instead does all life look like it evolved and share common ancestry?

If you want to make an argument for design then you need to be able to explain the patterns we see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+5,700
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Can you give some examples of design in rocks? Preferably something more substantial than your usual one or two sentence answers would be appreciated.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • List
  11. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The earth's crust was designed, including the materials. However, mountains and rubble cast up by tectonic plate action have no design although they behave in accordance with the laws of physics.

12. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+3,712
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    So what would convince you to change your mind? Since I'm down this rabbit hole and I am genuinely curious.

13. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member

+485
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    The thing is, biologic evolution is all about gradual change. Take a species. Split it into a couple populations. Each population changes gradually over great lengths of time. Eventually the two populations are different enough to be considered two different species. We can observe this kind of thing under laboratory conditions with organisms that reproduce rapidly. If you want to see it with something like humans or dogs or oak trees, you're out of luck, because they don't reproduce fast enough to observe speciation in laboratory conditions.

If you're looking for evidence of a member of a species giving birth to a member of a new species, no, that's not how it works. That kind of thing would pretty much disprove evolution.

Sure.

Biologic evolution is the change in frequency of alleles (mutated genes) in a population over time/generations. Evolutionary theory proposes that different species have common ancestors. The Theory of Evolution proposes that all living things derive from common ancestors. No belief is required. Scientists just look at the evidence, run their tests, and see if the various theories hold up.

For evolution to work, you need a population of organisms. So it doesn't deal with the origin of life itself.

It's only been presented that way by creationists. That's not the fault of science. It can't be presented as an alternative theory to creation, because it only deals with the development of living organisms.

They did. It's not their fault if certain creationists keep spreading lies about evolution.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm afraid my mind is made up on the topic, plus I'm more convinced than ever as I get older.

15. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,712
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    I'm genuinely sad to hear that.

16. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm sad that you're sad as well. My beliefs are a package deal, and badly needed.

17. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,712
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    And that's even sadder.

18. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant