SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟174,600.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Who labeled Pluto our ninth planet? then, seventy-six years later, voted it a dwarf planet because it didn't meet their new expectations?

Or are you saying it wasn't mislabeled at the time, because it did fit the definition of a planet, and was only changed because the definition of "planet" changed?
The definition of 'planet' was altered due to new data, which rendered the old definition as no longer being a useful classification/astronomical criterion (or operational definition).

The new data made all the difference .. and not some arbitrary word definition found in some old book lying around on a library shelf (in this case an out of date dictionary).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Big ole meanie god
  • killed all the first born in Egypt -- what had they done wrong.
  • drowned pharaoh's army -- it's a habit of drowning people
  • killed 43 youngsters by proxy of two bears -- for just a little bit of mockery
  • let Satan kill all of Job's children, servants and cattle -- what had they done wrong
  • let the hebrews kill all the Canaanites.
Big ole meanie god indeed.

But the great part about all this is God has given anyone if they want it, a free way out. Through belief in The promised Messiah, That Jesus is The promised Messiah from the Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life.

Anyone

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Who labeled Pluto our ninth planet? then, seventy-six years later, voted it a dwarf planet because it didn't meet their new expectations?

Or are you saying it wasn't mislabeled at the time, because it did fit the definition of a planet, and was only changed because the definition of "planet" changed?

Also, who interpreted a tooth found as belonging to Hesperopithecus haroldcookii?

I think these examples are irrelevant here. What is more relevant here is type of thinking (e.g. binary) which seems to be pervasive among religious fundamentalists.

You have a world view where everything is absolute. Yet in the real world (specifically human understanding of our universe) things are not absolute.

I think you'd have to fundamentally change your internal wiring to really understand how science works and why scientific knowledge, while not absolute, is still relevant and useful. You can't view the science the same way you view the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

What difference does it make? Nothing about Pluto itself changed.

Also, who interpreted a tooth found as belonging to Hesperopithecus haroldcookii?
Henry Osborne. But it was never generally accepted by the scientific community and he retracted it a few years later.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
E=mc2.

We used to be able to use the bb codes for superscripts and subscripts, but can't anymore; and I don't like saying E=mc2.
You can do it from Windows 10: E=mc²

[press the 'Windows' key (
upload_2020-10-30_20-49-47.png
) and the period key (.) to get the Emoji pop-up, then select Symbols (Ω)]

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
But the great part about all this is God has given anyone if they want it, a free way out. Through belief in The promised Messiah, That Jesus is The promised Messiah from the Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life.

Anyone
Meh - that's what they all say... now, which one to choose :scratch:

p.s. Yer not supposed to preach in this forum.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But the great part about all this is God has given anyone if they want it, a free way out.

This is why I feel that modern day Christian evangelism is simply about psychological manipulation on par with typical advertising agencies.

"You have a problem! But don't worry! We can sell you the solution!"

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
This is why I feel that modern day Christian evangelism is simply about psychological manipulation on par with typical advertising agencies.

I got a strong sense of deja-vu reading that - have you posted it before?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think these examples are irrelevant here.
O
pitabread said:
What is more relevant here is type of thinking (e.g. binary) which seems to be pervasive among religious fundamentalists.
I
pitabread said:
You have a world view where everything is absolute.
I
pitabread said:
Yet in the real world (specifically human understanding of our universe) things are not absolute.
I
pitabread said:
I think you'd have to fundamentally change your internal wiring to really understand how science works and why scientific knowledge, while not absolute, is still relevant and useful.
I/O
pitabread said:
You can't view the science the same way you view the Bible.
I/O

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Henry Osborne. But it was never generally accepted by the scientific community and he retracted it a few years later.
QV please:
Although Nebraska man was not a deliberate hoax, the original classification proved to be a mistake, and was retracted in 1927.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟257,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Anyone
Oh no he didn't. No one of the list below had a way out:
Big ole meanie god
  • killed all the first born in Egypt -- what had they done wrong.
  • drowned pharaoh's army -- it's a habit of drowning people
  • killed 43 youngsters by proxy of two bears -- for just a little bit of mockery
  • let Satan kill all of Job's children, servants and cattle -- what had they done wrong
  • let the hebrews kill all the Canaanites.
Big ole meanie god gave them a way out, indeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

How did you arrive at sell, i mentioned noting about selling, I stated free.

I guess people just see it they way they want to.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I went to a creation museum to see their number one exhibit.

f93cd97878f74ffbe0497b17ece418aa.jpg

Funny thing is, someone once calculated that a car like that could actually reach speeds comparable to a motorcar on a highway, but the problem would be that it would take a huge distance to slow back down.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Given his track record of mass murder and mass killing of either innocents or petty youth, I wouldn't count on it.
Mass murders and mass killers usually don't warn their targets ahead of time.

Noah preached for 120 years of God's righteousness, before the Flood occurred.

God sent nine plagues on Egypt before "the big one."

Upvote 0