wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things aren't easy lately. I know this isn't the first rant thread I've created, but sometimes I just need to get everything off my chest once and for all.

Well, it has now been six months since I've been to mass thanks to my work schedule. To add insult to injury when I let it slip that I wanted to start RCIA classes on Tuesday nights they changed my days off till Wednesday and Thursday. To say this hasn't done well for my relationship with God is an understatement. It isn't easy to keep faithful when you can't participate in any of the pillars of your faith.

It's ironic actually. I took this job in Hawaii because I thought it would make things like RCIA possible. My old job in Chicago left me on call 24/7 with no chance of any time off. To top it off when I was called up I was often gone for three or four days so not only was my faith affected, but every other aspect of my life followed suit rather quickly. I moved out here to Maui as I was promised a 5-day work week with no nights, yet as soon as I got here they went to a 430AM to 2AM work day in which you're on call for any combination of 16 hours during that time. Well, once again there goes my life. To make matters worse the person in charge of scheduling is one of the worst persons I've ever met. To him the schedule is a weapon against us. For instance, when they found out I was Catholic I suddenly found myself working every Saturday night and Sunday morning. It's gotten to the point with us all where most who can afford it quit (we had to sign a 1 year $8000 training contract) and the rest are just buying their time till they can also escape.

As for myself, I'm just struggling to keep my life together. I'm loving Maui, but I can't seem to get anything done with my life. We're planning a wedding, but we don't know where we'll be in a year so it's almost impossible to agree on anything. I can't go to mass, or take any classes I would like to (I was going to look into a spanish class at the local junior college, but that's impossible). Heck, I can't even plan what I'm doing this Friday as I have no idea when I'll be working and I won't know until at least 940 Thursday night.

ARGH!

OK, so I've had a few beers and I'm rather tired while writing this. But if you've read this far, thanks for listening.

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
She said:
Couldn't you read from the Bible, if it is not possible to go to Church? What about going to Mass on weekdays. Most Catholic Churches have weekday Masses in the mornings.

I agree. I've often thought that one of the advantages of being Catholic is that you get the opportunity to get to mass on any day of the week.

I know Lonnie goes every day for example.

I'm in the Salvation Army and if I'm rostered to work Sunday, that's my only chance of the week. I know how spiritually draining it can be through, my own rota has me wroking 4 weekends at a time and by the 4th one I'm spiritually exhausted.

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the support all. Unfortunately my local parish doesn't have weekly mass. It doesn't have enough staff and "borrows" a priest from another parish for the weekend.

174 days left to go on the contract. They promised the world when I signed up, but it was all just a big lie.

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
wiggsfly said:
Things aren't easy lately. I know this isn't the first rant thread I've created, but sometimes I just need to get everything off my chest once and for all.

Well, it has now been six months since I've been to mass thanks to my work schedule. To add insult to injury when I let it slip that I wanted to start RCIA classes on Tuesday nights they changed my days off till Wednesday and Thursday. To say this hasn't done well for my relationship with God is an understatement. It isn't easy to keep faithful when you can't participate in any of the pillars of your faith.

It's ironic actually. I took this job in Hawaii because I thought it would make things like RCIA possible. My old job in Chicago left me on call 24/7 with no chance of any time off. To top it off when I was called up I was often gone for three or four days so not only was my faith affected, but every other aspect of my life followed suit rather quickly. I moved out here to Maui as I was promised a 5-day work week with no nights, yet as soon as I got here they went to a 430AM to 2AM work day in which you're on call for any combination of 16 hours during that time. Well, once again there goes my life. To make matters worse the person in charge of scheduling is one of the worst persons I've ever met. To him the schedule is a weapon against us. For instance, when they found out I was Catholic I suddenly found myself working every Saturday night and Sunday morning. It's gotten to the point with us all where most who can afford it quit (we had to sign a 1 year $8000 training contract) and the rest are just buying their time till they can also escape.

As for myself, I'm just struggling to keep my life together. I'm loving Maui, but I can't seem to get anything done with my life. We're planning a wedding, but we don't know where we'll be in a year so it's almost impossible to agree on anything. I can't go to mass, or take any classes I would like to (I was going to look into a spanish class at the local junior college, but that's impossible). Heck, I can't even plan what I'm doing this Friday as I have no idea when I'll be working and I won't know until at least 940 Thursday night.

ARGH!

OK, so I've had a few beers and I'm rather tired while writing this. But if you've read this far, thanks for listening.

Get to as many Masses during the week as you can. It may not be ideal, but since it's out of your control, you are not at fault. And schedule confession whenever you can. Talk to the priest. See if there is another time for RCIA in another parish. I'll be praying for you.

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hate that "trapped" feeling, but it must be worse for you since they are actively keeping you from your source of sustenance.

I hate to ask this, but couldn't you complain to HR?

Tell them:
1.) You were promised no weekends
2.) Your boss knows you are Catholic
3.) You have been kept from worship for 6 months

And I hate to say this, but you could mention a civil rights violation and complaint to whatever Hawaii has regulating its labor laws and civil rights enforcement. I mean, it doesn't sound like it could get much worse.
In the meantime, take notes on everything.

If they fire you for making trouble, you will have a cause of action to sue for retaliation. Most companies would rather settle out of court on matters like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wiggsfly

Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately the person who is causing the problem is in charge of everyone but us captains (he's trying hard to take charge of us) so even HR is out of the question. There are a few other options we're looking at, but right now I can't really talk about them in public so we'll see what happens.

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ARGHHHH!!!!!

I took some of your advice and talked to a priest for about two hours this afternoon about being able to work out RCIA every other Wednesday or so as I can't be their Tuesday nights (plus it's a two hour drive to the parish).

Well, about 10 minutes ago my boss called to say that he was changing days off and I will probably have Monday and Friday!!!!!

I'm so angry I want to just turn my badge in and walk away, but then I remembered I signed the bloody training contract and I'm trapped there for the next 6 months.

Anyone know a good labor attourney????

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
wiggsfly said:
I'm so angry I want to just turn my badge in and walk away, but then I remembered I signed the bloody training contract and I'm trapped there for the next 6 months.

From the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission:

§12-46-154 Reasonable accommodation. (a) After an employee or prospective employee notifies the employer or other covered entity of his or her need for a religious accommodation, the employer or other covered entity shall reasonably accommodate the individual's religious practices. A refusal to accommodate is justified only when an employer or other covered entity can demonstrate that an undue hardship would result from each available alternative method of accommodation. A mere assumption that many more people, with the same religious practices as the person being accommodated, may also need accommodation is not evidence of undue hardship.
(b) When there is more than one method of accommodation available which would not cause undue hardship, the commission will determine whether the accommodation offered is reasonable by examining:
(1) The alternatives for accommodation considered by the employer or other covered entity; and
(2) The alternatives for accommodation, if any, actually offered to the individual requiring accommodation. [Eff 12/31/90] Auth: HRS §§368-3, 378-8) (Imp: HRS §§368-3, 378-2)

Go here.

Also, remember that any company that fires an employee after that employee complains about discrimination is leaving themselves wide open to a lawsuit for retaliation (firing someone for complaining).

See here.

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.
(Ceci n'est pas une pipe.)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
wiggsfly said:
ARGHHHH!!!!!

I took some of your advice and talked to a priest for about two hours this afternoon about being able to work out RCIA every other Wednesday or so as I can't be their Tuesday nights (plus it's a two hour drive to the parish).

Well, about 10 minutes ago my boss called to say that he was changing days off and I will probably have Monday and Friday!!!!!

something you might want to look into---what means did you use to contact the priest, and were you at work when you did so? (thinking of tapped phones or bugged computers.)

go ahead and file a grievance with HR (for the record). if you file a lawsuit for wrongful termination and harrassment, you will need to show that you tried in good faith to work under the conditions of your contract, but that the actions of the company made that impossible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Before you file a grievance (complaint), you should point out to your employer/boss/HR dept. that they are required by state law (see my previous post) to make reasonable accomodation for your religious observance. If they refuse to do so, complain to HR. If that doesn't work, take it to the state for an investigation.
You have rights, brother. It's just that most employers don't want you to know about those rights, and most people forget that religion has civil rights.

Even threatening to go to the state with this should make them give you a day off on which you can attend Mass. Companies hate dealing with civil rights claims. They know you are protected.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.