The condemnation of Bibliomancy and or seeking an answer by randomly pointing within His Word.

Do you believe Bibliomancy or seeking an answer from God by randomly pointing in the Bible is wrong?

• Total voters

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Again, not the same thing. There is a huge difference between what the Bereans were doing, and what people do when they randomly open the Bible so as to get an answer from God. The Bereans were not praying to GOD so as to resolve a personal life situation or problem and then randomly pointing to a place in the Scriptures. They SEEKED the Scriptures to confirm a truth of God's Word in spoken form. Big difference.
As I 'search' the Scripture to "confirm a truth of God's Word " in posted form,
I find your op does not conform to truth or to Scripture so far in the way the OP is put. (as others have noted already also).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to your definition then, it seems like casting lots is forcing God to answer in the absence of prayer.

I don't know when God would make for an allowance for this in my life, but I do not see it as a problem because the Scriptures were not used so as to force an answer out of God by taking the Bible out of context to fit a life situation. This also was not the standard operation of making decisions in their lives, either. They did not do this all the time. Yet, we are told to pray without ceasing. Jesus tells us about prayer, and He desires us to ask, seek, and knock. Why bother to do these things if we can just cast lots all the time? Surely that is not what God intended for casting lots in rare circumstances.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Try doing your homework by doing an internet search. Look up Bibliomancy, and read up on it. Folks do this in other religions; Especially the occult. It is not up for debate. It is a fact of life. We are called to be holy and separate from others.
People in other religions "do" a lot of things that we Christians do--pray, sing songs of praise/hymns, etc. That doesn't make what we do be wrong or indistinguishable from the practice of those other people.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're in the wrong forum then. You need to go to the "Everything I Say is God's Truth" forum.

When I say that Bibliomancy is of the occult is not up for debate, I was speaking figuratively in the sense that it is a known fact that Bibliomancy is a practice done in the occult. Just research the internet and you will see that others in other religions partake of this practice. Do not believe me, do your own homework and it will become evident.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People in other religions "do" a lot of things that we Christians do--pray, kneel, light candles, sing songs or praise or hymns, etc. That doesn't make what we do be wrong or indistinguishable from the practice of those other people.

So you think that in the occult it is okay to get a message from some another entity by pointing randomly to another religious book? You do realize that the method they get is from their wrong religious book. Again, if this practice was in the Bible, we would clearly see it. We see men of God pray, praise God, bow, etc.; But we do not see any biblical practice for Bibliomancy.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you think that in the occult it is okay to get a message from some other entity by pointing randomly to another religious book?
No. I said in my first reply that I do not think this practice is a good one for Christians to engage in. What occultists do is their business.

We are still waiting, by the way, for you to produce some evidence to support the claim made in the OP.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am glad to hear that. I am trying to point out that we are to be holy and separate from the world. There is no biblical example of a man of God or a woman of God randomly pointing to the Scriptures so as to seek an answer from God. If this was the case, they would in time violate Scripture if they were to land upon a verse that talks about prophecy. Peter says no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am glad to hear that.
You, of course, already knew it when you wrote that message. :rolleyes:

I am trying to point out that we are to be holy and separate from the world.
Maybe that is what you are trying to morph the thread into now. It is not what you wrote in the original post ("I did not know that this was an occult practice or a practice used in the occult. When I started to partake of this method for just one day via by learning about it, God warned me by using life circumstances and with Him silently bringing up His Word to me. I encountered smoke and fire two times within a span of two days.")

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I recently encountered Bibliomancy and or randomly opening and pointing to a point within the Bible so as to get an answer from God. This to me was something new to me that I did not really know about before. I did not know that this was an occult practice or a practice used in the occult. When I started to partake of this method for just one day via by learning about it, God warned me by using life circumstances and with Him silently bringing up His Word to me. I encountered smoke and fire two times within a span of two days. The second time the fire happened in another place and by another method, I was thinking of the first fire. I decided to seek what that meant in the Scriptures, and God just talked to my heart.... "danger." Then a verse came up in my mind. It was 2 Peter 1:20. Peter says in 2 Peter 1:20, "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." Earlier that day, I prayed and asked for an answer from God, and I landed in Revelation. Revelation is clearly prophetic. Yet, I was using it for private interpretation by wanting an answer on a life situation. Clearly this was wrong, and at the time I did not realize it was until I researched more about this kind of thing.

Anyways, I now know Bibliomancy or randomly opening the Bible to get an answer from GOD is wrong. We should not try to force an answer out of GOD. God will answer in His timing and way. For He is GOD, and not us. So Bibliomancy and all its forms should be condemned practice. Nowhere do we see God's people partake of this method in desiring an answer from the Lord.
This sounds extremely superstitious. Scripture contains answers for us but to expect that the answer to whatever happens to be on our mind at the moment can be found by randomly opening up scripture is absurd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You, of course, already knew it when you wrote that message. :rolleyes:

How can I? I am not God to know your thoughts, heart, and life.
Keeping track of what people believe is a full time job, and I am more focused on what the Scriptures say.

You said:
Maybe that is what you are trying to morph the thread into now. It is not what you wrote in the original post ("I did not know that this was an occult practice or a practice used in the occult. When I started to partake of this method for just one day via by learning about it, God warned me by using life circumstances and with Him silently bringing up His Word to me. I encountered smoke and fire two times within a span of two days.")

You left out the most important part. God's Word. I randomly pointed to Revelation as a part of an answer to my prayer. But Peter says no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This sounds extremely superstitious. Scripture contains answers for us but to expect that the answer to whatever happens to be on our mind at the moment can be found by randomly opening up scripture is absurd.

I agree with you. Well, now I do. Yesterday (for a day), I was not able to see it. I believe it is taking the Bible out of context, and forcing an answer from God. I will let God be God and let Him answer in the way He desires and in His timing. But yes. It is absurd. Absurd that we can strong arm God into doing something we want.

Reactions: Redwingfan9
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you. Well, now I do. Yesterday (for a day), I was not able to see it. I believe it is taking the Bible out of context, and forcing an answer from God. I will let God be God and let Him answer in the way He desires and in His timing. But yes. It is absurd. Absurd that we can strong arm God into doing something we want.
What in the world justifies this particular twist on the subject that you seem intent upon inserting into the issue before us?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK God - What am I supposed to do NOW???

<flips bible> "Judas went and hanged himself"

that's not right. Lets try this again

<flips bible> "Go thou and do likewise"

Hmmmm. One more try

<flips bible> "Do what you must do quickly"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What in the world justifies this particular twist on the subject that you seem intent upon inserting into the issue before us?

Do you not understand that is what Bibliomancy does? It seeks to fulfill an immediate answer from God by randomly opening up the Bible and by randomly pointing to a verse so as to strong arm an answer out of God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
;) I'll let the other readers decide for themselves whether or not I made reference to the Bible in that post.

I just did a keyword search (i.e. Find a word on the page search) on page 1, and page 2 for the word "private" and a keyword search on "2 Peter 1:20." Nothing came up by you on these points in Scripture (of which I mentioned). This is the part of the post that you left out that I was referring to. I was talking about this verse. You did not address it.

Side Note:

A person can find any word on a website page by:

PC: Holding down "control" key and then pushing the "F" key.
MAC: Holding down the "command" key, and then pushing the "F" key.

Once the search box appears, put in the keywords that you are looking for and hit "enter," or "return."; Or hit the next arrow option in the search box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0