The condemnation of Bibliomancy and or seeking an answer by randomly pointing within His Word.

Do you believe Bibliomancy or seeking an answer from God by randomly pointing in the Bible is wrong?

• Total voters

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Please explain 2 Peter 1:20. Please give an example of how that works today.
No.
It is enough to know that in this thread it has been totally misrepresented.
The truth about all will be disclosed when the truth is being sought, to those who are seeking the truth, by God, as He Himself Says. (< shrugs > His Timing is 'secret' to me - maybe in 30 seconds, maybe in 30 years, eh? )

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You yourself, if I am remembering right about this,
you yourself posted a definition and/or links to definitions that do not say that that is what Bibliomancy is.

Obviously, mistaking Bibliomancy for what people with pure motives do, is wrong.

Definition of Bibliomancy:

1. divination by means of a book, especially the Bible, opened at random to some verse or passage, which is then interpreted.

Source:
Definition of bibliomancy | Dictionary.com

Definitions of divination:

1: the art or practice that seeks to foresee or foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge usually by the interpretation of omens or by the aid of supernatural powers.
2: unusual insight : intuitive perception.

Source:
Definition of DIVINATION

Here is another definition:

successful conjecture by unusual insight or good luck.

Source:
divination - Dictionary Definition

Here is another definition:

the practice of attempting to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means.

Source:
Definition of divination | Dictionary.com

Conclusion:

So divination (Which is a part of Bibliomancy) is not just about foretelling the future with randomly selecting a point within Scripture, but divination also includes hidden knowledge or unusual insight, or successful conjecture, too. It would include the practice that you don't think is a problem.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No.
It is enough to know that in this thread it has been totally misrepresented.
The truth about all will be disclosed when the truth is being sought, to those who are seeking the truth, by God, as He Himself Says. (< shrugs > His Timing is 'secret' to me - maybe in 30 seconds, maybe in 30 years, eh? )

What does 2 Peter 1:20 mean to you? Can you give me an example of how this verse applies today?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I noticed that the one vote in the poll that said... "no" has now been removed or changed. Currently at the time of this writing, the poll now says "0" for the "no" option in the poll. I am glad. Folks should think that this practice is wrong.

Update:

As of Dec 5, 2019 (in the morning), the vote for "no" has went back to "1."
Unfortunately, we now have one person again who does not see this practice as a problem. Anyways, all we can do is pray that all here may see that this is a problem in God's timing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Again, there is a clear difference between doing a study and asking God to help you to understand it, vs. asking God to answer a prayer via by pointing randomly to a point in the Bible (and thereby taking it out of context). Taking the Bible out of context to suit our own purposes and plans is wrong. God has an intended message within His Word and it is not for us to just to choose your own adventure by pointing randomly within it so as to guide our lives. Life is not always that easy. One of the fruits of the Spirit is patience. Our we being patient in wanting a quick answer? 2 Peter 1:20 says no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation. If I pray to God and then seek an answer by randomly opening to Revelation (A prophetic book), or some other prophetic Scripture verse or passage, then I am making prophecy of Scripture of my own private interpretation (Which is a violation of 2 Peter 1:20).

Yes . That is what I had hoped to convey in agreement with your post but may not have communicated that as clearly that I wished . As Jesus said in the parable of the sower , " And those by the wayside are those that hear, then cometh the devil and taketh away the word out of their heart , lest they should believe and be saved . " I would venture that the enemy of the truth also works against our growing in grace and knowledge of the truth . Some hear and some do not . Some hear incorrectly or see with "dirty lens " . I think of the log in my eye and also I often wonder what constitutes a gnat and what constitutes a camel .
If people are truly using the bible in the way you described , I do see that as a potentially dangerous error . It may be that those who love the Truth and the Way and the Life , will have the pitfalls of such a method demonstrated by the Lord .

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes . That is what I had hoped to convey in agreement with your post but may not have communicated that as clearly that I wished . As Jesus said in the parable of the sower , " And those by the wayside are those that hear, then cometh the devil and taketh away the word out of their heart , lest they should believe and be saved . " I would venture that the enemy of the truth also works against our growing in grace and knowledge of the truth . Some hear and some do not . Some hear incorrectly or see with "dirty lens " . I think of the log in my eye and also I often wonder what constitutes a gnat and what constitutes a camel .
If people are truly using the bible in the way you described , I do see that as a potentially dangerous error . It may be that those who love the Truth and the Way and the Life , will have the pitfalls of such a method demonstrated by the Lord .

I was tricked into doing so only for a short period of time within a day. Later that day, God warned me to stop it by placing me in a circumstance of facing a second real fire (with the 1st fire being the day before), and by his bring up 2 Peter 1:20 to my attention. I now see the error or problem in it. I did not fully come to learn of this false teaching until the day before I practiced it.

Thank the Lord for his mercy and grace. I sought the Lord's forgiveness over partaking in this kind of thing (after I realized it was wrong).

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There’s a reason why I don’t like polls. God’s Word is not usually taken as a whole and the one making the poll usually have their own interpretation, and sometimes not taking into consideration of others (of where they are in life). However, I can agree that any divination is condemned by God.

We should not try to force an answer out of GOD. God will answer in His timing and way.
Absolutely, amen.

So Bibliomancy and all its forms should be a condemned practice. Nowhere do we see God's people partake of this method in desiring an answer from the Lord.

True, however it doesn’t mean God can’t or won’t call those in this lifestyle out of the world practices.
There are many people who are confused and genuinely seeking God but in all the wrong ways. I was one of these people. From God’s Grace, I was delivered out of the world and into His Way, Truth and Life.
Sadly, my sister is lost in this type of practise through “verse meditation”. I pray she wakes up soon and many others.
:yellowheart:

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But the Word can be used to ward off the enemy, though.

Because the enemy believes, too.

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There’s a reason why I don’t like polls. God’s Word is not usually taken as a whole and the one making the poll usually have their own interpretation, and sometimes not taking into consideration of others (of where they are in life). However, I can agree that any divination is condemned by God.

Well, I was glad for the poll because a certain poster was acting like nobody believed that this practice was not being approved of by anyone at a certain point. The poll helped to show the truth that this was simply not so. Sure, polls may not always be accurate to a "T," but they do help overall to see where people stand at least for those who noticed the thread here on the forum. I like polls because it helps me to see what what fellow professing Christians say who are speaking in the same soap box I am standing on (i.e. Christian Forums). For I want to know what other believers here think. Sure, it may not be 100% accurate, but there is always room for some small discrepancy or error in a poll. I don't think the poll overall is inaccurate for those who voted in the poll. Nor am I suggesting that this poll is a reflection of all of Christian churches everywhere, either. But we can agree to disagree in love on the use of polls. I have found them to be a benefit to me over the many years.

Bible Highlighter said:
We should not try to force an answer out of GOD. God will answer in His timing and way.
You said:
Absolutely, amen.

I am glad we can agree on this point.

You said:
True, however it doesn’t mean God can’t or won’t call those in this lifestyle out of the world practices.
There are many people who are confused and genuinely seeking God but in all the wrong ways. I was one of these people. From God’s Grace, I was delivered out of the world and into His Way, Truth and Life.
Sadly, my sister is lost in this type of practise through “verse meditation”. I pray she wakes up soon and many others.
:yellowheart:

I was also called out of this practice. Granted, I was only deceived by it for only one day, but I do believe God can call us out of worldly practices that are not of Him. Oh, and yes; I believe God's grace can deliver us from all such things.

Thank you for your kind words.

Blessings to you in the Lord this fine day;
And may you please be well.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because the enemy believes, too.

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

But the enemy or his minions can never have a saving faith whereby it can change their lives like with living men and women. My point is that God's Word can be used in such a way that does not require the exercising of saving faith. The enemy cannot exercise saving faith whereby the Word can change him from the inside. The enemy hates God and His Word, and he and his minions will do anything to wreak havoc upon anything to do with God and His Word (within the boundaries God sets for them). My point is that a believer can speak God's Word to make the devil and his minions flee, which shows that His Word does have power. The devil did not just simply flee at the presence alone of the Son of God, but he fled when he defeated him with the quoting of Scripture. This means that the Word (Scripture) has power. God's Word (Scripture) comes from GOD because it is the expressed thoughts of GOD, and He also abides with His Word, as well. For Scripture is called "holy scripture" in two places in the King James bible. If Scripture were just dead words on a page, then they would not be called "holy scripture." They are holy words from God, and these words have power to make the demons flee, and to change men's heart by their having saving faith in God. Remember, when God said to Moses to take his shoes off because he was standing on holy ground? This is because the ground was actually holy by God's presence. I believe the same to be true with "holy scripture" (which is mentioned two times in Scripture). The Bible is holy. It says so right on the cover with certain bibles with the words "Holy Bible." They are holy words from God. Special words that have power to change our lives and make the demons flee. Dead letters on the page cannot do such things. Only God's Word can do such a thing.

I would like for you to check out the evidences at my Blogger article here:

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

You will see certain evidences that proves that God's Word is divine in origin, and they are not simply dead letters or dead words on a page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did not say saving faith. Just belief.

I know. I was helping to distinguish between the two as a part of my point, my friend. My point is to show that God's Word has power.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know. I was helping to distinguish between the two as a part of my point, my friend. My point is to show that God's Word has power.
There is no disagreement here. Guns have power, but you have to know how to use them to be effective with them. Same with the Scriptures. And my point is that many don't and some use the Scriptures superstitiously.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no disagreement here. Guns have power, but you have to know how to use them to be effective with them. Same with the Scriptures. And my point is that many don't and some use the Scriptures superstitiously.

I think we are in agreement (for the most part). My only thing is that we can speak Scripture with the intent to change the hearts of men (who will believe), and with the intent to make the enemy flee. While I do not want to compare this to the dark arts, the Word of God does change lives or change the scenario. There is power in the Word of God if it is used correctly by faith.

Blessings to you in the Lord today.

Upvote 0

Bryan H

Looking for God in all the wrong places
Jan 19, 2016
Newark
✟19,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds extremely superstitious. Scripture contains answers for us but to expect that the answer to whatever happens to be on our mind at the moment can be found by randomly opening up scripture is absurd.
Absurd? Perhaps. Impossible? Not at all. I used to get answers this way rather frequently, but this is my first time hearing it described as an occult practice or referred to as 'bibliomancy'. I certainly don't recommend anyone try it though. God does a lot of chastising and rebuking in the Bible. When you've just sinned and open up the Bible to some form of "I will destroy/curse you" it can be not only disheartening, but it can lead to you having an unhealthy fear of God. I'm not talking about the reverential kind, but a paralyzing aversion to the one who loves you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bryan H

Looking for God in all the wrong places
Jan 19, 2016
Newark
✟19,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I should mention that I don't believe it is "forcing" an answer from God. If I open the Bible seeking an answer and the page I open to unmistakably addresses my situation, was it not because God was willing and able to provide me with a quick answer? If the page has absolutely no relation to what i'm dealing with, as is sometimes the case, then I may get an answer by some other means on His time and not mine.

Upvote 0