Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.....that's just a bit of nonsense trying to explain away the issue of free will with god determining things.

Because you say so? No. God doesn’t “determine things” to the extent he causes people to do anything.

If the best you can reply with is the mere assertion of “nonsense” but can’t articulate a cogent, rational argument as to why middle knowledge is nonsense, may I kindly suggest you actually research the subject, spend some time thinking about the subject. So then, at the very least, you can say your belief middle knowledge is nonsense is based on rational thought and argument, as opposed to your ostensible knee jerk remark.

The fact is God, being all knowing, knew of all the possible worlds he could create. God, being all knowing, knew of all the possible versions of earth he could create. Not every version would be identical, as each versions would contact different people, which would then of course result in different circumstances, a different history, and of course each version has God’s involvement varying, which also affects the history.

So, there are possible versions where Nixon is confronted with different circumstances that prompted him to run for President and which had him win the election. Whereas there are some versions where Nixon doesn’t seek the presidency, different circumstances, or seeks the presidency but doesn’t win, because of a different set of circumstances.

All of the above are rational, logical extensions of God’s quality of being omniscient and are rationally and logically possible, if not very likely.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I might be interesting to note that the problem with this kind of reasoning is the same as with the people arguing that Donald Trump is a political genius playing four-dimensional chess with his dim-witted opponents.

God is a Supreme Being, a diety Who created the entire universe. Worldly leaders are humans made by this Supreme Being. There is a profound difference.

Name one living human being who is omniscient (knows everything), omnipotent (unlimited power), and omnipresent (everywhere at once).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
God is a Supreme Being, a diety Who created the entire universe. Worldly leaders are humans made by this Supreme Being. There is a profound difference.
So it is claimed. By the same people who also claim that they are like developmentally challenged children who couldn't comprehend this stuff at all.

As I said: that is exactly the problem with that kind of reasoning... some kind of inverse Dunning-Kruger effect. If you claim that you are not capable of understanding something, you have just diverged yourself of the means to claim that you are not capable of understanding something.

Name one living human being who is omniscient (knows everything), omnipotent (unlimited power), and omnipresent (everywhere at once).
Why... Donald J. Trump of course! And if you want to claim that he isn't anything of that sort... you are simply too developmentally challenged to understand how he IS TOO! ;)

Do you start to see the problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So it is claimed. By the same people who also claim that they are like developmentally challenged children who couldn't comprehend this stuff at all.

As I said: that is exactly the problem with that kind of reasoning... some kind of inverse Dunning-Kruger effect. If you claim that you are not capable of understanding something, you have just diverged yourself of the means to claim that you are not capable of understanding something.

Why... Donald J. Trump of course! And if you wan't to claim that he isn't anything of that sort... you are simply too developmentally challenged to understand how he IS TOO! ;)

Do you start to see the problem?

I forgive you for your subtle insults toward me.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This has diverged from the original topic. A number of public Christian figures made quite confident prophecies that have turned out to be wrong. Will they suffer any consequences in terms of people believing them?

That's the problem---most of the time, people do not turn away from those false prophets. I don't know why---for scripture is very harsh on false prophets. Campion is a prime example---prophecy after prophecy failed---and still the people followed him and gave him money---he died very wealthy on his lies.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Dunning-Kruger effect | Definition, Examples, & Facts

Dunning-Kruger effect, in psychology, a cognitive bias whereby people with limited knowledge or competence in a given intellectual or social domain greatly overestimate their own knowledge or competence in that domain relative to objective criteria or to the performance of their peers or of people in general.

I will just leave it at that. To quote Thrall from Warcraft, "The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."

And as the Bible says, NOT directed towards anyone in particular...

"Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them."
~Proverbs 26:12 (NIV)

2 A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart.
3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.
4 Haughty eyes and a proud heart— the unplowed field of the wicked—produce sin.

~Proverbs 21:2-4 (NIV)

20 Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.
21 The wise in heart are called discerning, and gracious words promote instruction.

~Proverbs 16:20-21 (NIV)

I am NOT God. I am NOT C.S. Lewis. I am NOT even a trained theologian. I am just some fallible human being on the internet who is predisposed towards selfishness. None of us win by being 'right', we all win by exchanging ideas, learning from them, and growing in Christ-like character.

Take care, stay safe, and God bless!

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,994.00
Country
United States