Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Let's do it again...what kind of calvinist are you?

Calvinism Chart « Feileadh Mor

1. Hyper-Calvinism

Beliefs: God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation, also known as Neo-Gnostic Calvinism. Proponents: Joseph Hussey John Skepp and some English primitive Baptists.

2. Ultra High Calvinism

Beliefs: That the elect are in some sense eternally justified. A denial of: The Well– Meant Offer; Common Grace; and God having any love for the non-elect. Proponents: John Gill, some ministers in the Protestant Reformed Church of America

3. High Calvinism

Beliefs: That God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the Well-Meant Offer. Supralapsarian viewing God’s decrees. All hold to limited atonement. Most believe in particular grace and see the atonement as sufficient only for the elect. Proponents: Theodore Beza, Gordon Clark, Arthur Pink

4. Moderate Calvinism

Beliefs: That God does in some sense desires to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian in viewing God’s decrees. Affirms Common Grace. Proponents: John Calvin (some argue that he was a High-Calvinist), John Murray, RL Dabney

5. Low Calvinism

Beliefs: That Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the Well-Meant Offer and Common Grace, Proponents: Amyraldrians , RT Kendal

6. Lutheranism

Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

7. American Baptist

Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

8. Arminianism

Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion. Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists
copyright Rev Jonathan James Goundry

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Moderate, although there's a large overlap between that and your definition of low. I think one could hold both views.

As with High and Ultra. It's not perfect but better then saying, "anyone higher then me must be a hyper."

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A question for those who voted "moderate." Do you view those who voted high and ultra to be hyper Calvinists? I personally believe that if you are lower then moderate you are not a Calvinist at all but confused over the use of the word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I voted moderate, and that is where I find myself, but I may be somewhere between moderate and high. Most definitely a five pointer, no problem whatsoever with limited atonement, come to love the truth of it. Interestingly enough, I do like to read Pink and Gill, especially Gill's commentary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A question for those who voted "moderate." Do you view those who voted high and ultra to be hyper Calvinists? I personally believe that if you are lower then moderate you are not a Calvinist at all but confused over the use of the word.

Not necessarily, but there does appears to be very fine line between ultra and hyper, with so much in common, one might notice how ultra could logically lead to hyper. I think it is very easy to confuse high/ultra with hyper, and certainly I think it can be said there are elements of hyper in ultra especially.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Generally anyone who tells me I am not Calvinistic enough is a hyper. ;)

AMR

• Haha
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican

Excellent.

Do you believe Luther's earlier view (found in Bondage of the Will) was softened by Melanchthon and latter Reformers? (not looking for a debate, just askin')

Yes, in my reading of Bondage of the Will and the Loci Communes, the former rests much more firmly on the sovereignty of God whereas the latter drifts into synergism. Of course, it is worth noting that Melanchthon considered himself in agreement with Luther during the antinomian controversy.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yes, in my reading of Bondage of the Will and the Loci Communes, the former rests much more firmly on the sovereignty of God whereas the latter drifts into synergism. Of course, it is worth noting that Melanchthon considered himself in agreement with Luther during the antinomian controversy.

Do you find yourself being convinced by Luther that perhaps Melanchthon was less consistent with scripture on this subject?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.