Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dude you should just go to seminary, but unless you are ethnically Greek or the bishop really likes you, I would if I were you switch to the Antiochian church, which uses the same typikon and does syro-Byzantine Chant, and go to St. Tikhon’s or St. Vladimir’s.

I did and was asked to leave due to family problems. At this time of my life I have no intent of ever trying to go back.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I did and was asked to leave due to family problems. At this time of my life I have no intent of ever trying to go back.

Holy Cross Seminary? I have heard horror stories about it, and also about SVS during the Hopko era.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way, just FYI, ROCOR does not provide a seminary education, and has also online learning programs for English speaking postulants who can’t speak Russian (since Russian and Church Slavonic are a huge part of the curriculum at Holy Trinity Seminary, for example, there is a mandatory course on Dostoevsky, which amuses me) but of course the music and the typikon is in the Russian style. Which I personally prefer to Byzantine Chant, but it would be a huge change for someone already a Psalti in the Greek church.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The miracle of the turning back of the shadow on the sundial was a local event, certainly can not add the whole earth.

the Bible mentions where it happened in the land of Palestine
2 Chronicles 32:31

God can do amazing things with shadows because of the sun.

Acts 5:15
As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on cots and mats, so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by.

38:8 states the sun returned 10 degrees

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
38:8 states the sun returned 10 degrees

ten degrees on a sundial the shadow caused by the sun moved, the only degrees was the degrees on a dial. God is powerful enough to move a shadow without physically moving the sun.

and it happened in only one place on earth.

2 Cron 32

31 Howbeit in [the business of] the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, who sent unto him to inquire of the wonder that was done in the land, God left him, to try him, that he might know all that was in his heart.

even if the sun was moved that surely doesn't say it is moving all the time everyday of the week year after year, moved once doesn't equal moving always.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0