✟7,786.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Mandy
Before I answer anything, would you even take into consideration anything that I would post? Or would you just brush it off as futurist fluff?

I'm a Berean, Mandy! Challenge me! Show me I'm wrong! Give it your best shot if you truly believe you're right! It's all I ask.

I consider anything and everything. If you can show me the error of my preterist beliefs, then I would be indebted to you! Your posting here is NOT a waste of time or bandwidth.

Do you think I post here because I get a kick out of it? Or because I like to watch futurists squirm? I truly want people to understand the logic of preterism, the benefits of preterism, and the orthodoxy of preterism. Expect me to attempt to convert you! I expect the same from you and can ask no less.

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
Are you willing to listen to a series of teaching on the book of Revelation and 1 Thess 5? The teacher is David Hocking. There is plenty there that deals with the end times.

David attended Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina, where he graduated with a B.A. in Bible, Greek, and Ancient History. After college David attended Grace Theological Seminary in Winona Lake, Indiana., where he received his M.Div. degree in Biblical Studies. David also continued graduate studies and received a Doctor of Ministry degree as well as a Ph.D. degree in Biblical Studies and languages.

Upvote 0

Mike Beidler

Evolutionary Creationist
May 31, 2002
Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
Visit site
✟7,786.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you willing to listen to a series of teaching on the book of Revelation and 1 Thess 5? The teacher is David Hocking. There is plenty there that deals with the end times.

Sure! :)

Upvote 0
Originally posted by kern

I am curious where you came up with this statistic. Who keeps records on how many people have been saved in the world? And how would we get records from the 300's or 400's, for instance?

-Chris

Chris,

I heard this from a missionary friend of mine. I trust he knew what he was talking about. I think it does checkout pretty close if you look at the statistics. Much of this huge increase in evangelism is simply because there are simply more people to evangelize. There has been a huge population explosion just in the last century or so. The population in the 300's and 400's was steady at somewhere around 250 million or less. (It actually appears to have dropped in the 400's to less than the number of people that were alive at the time of Christ according to the chart I looked at. Does one of you history buffs know why?) Now it is 6.23 billion. Up until the later half of 19th century the population was still less than a billion.

Here are some numbers from World Evangelism Center.

Total world population 2002 6,229,803,156 (Source US government)

Total Christians in 2002 all denominations 2,050,616,000

Total Christians in 1970 all denominations 1,236,374,000

Total Christians in 1900 all denominations 558,132,000

Christians as a percentage of the world has actually decreased since 1900 from 34 1/2% to 33%. However that trend seems to have reversed just in the last several years, and Christianity is now increasing as a percentage of the total world population. Interesting huh?

This drop in percentage may make us think that the kingdom of God is in decline. However, it may actually prove the opposite. Think about which countries experienced the greatest population explosion of the twentieth century. They are for the most part traditionally non-Christian countries. The fact that Christianity only dropped a point and a half in percentage might actually show the phenomenal rate of evangelization that is happening in the world. Combine this with the evidence that Christianity may have started to increase as a percentage of world population makes the numbers even more astounding.

My missionary friend may have exaggerated a little, but not by much. The twentieth century truly was a century of evangelism. And it looks like the twenty-first century holds great promise.

Here is another telling statistic that may even help futurists and preterists love one another better.
Estimated number of Christian martyrs (1900) 34,400 (1970) 377,000 (2000) 160,000 (Perhaps the drop between 1970 and today is due to the demise of communism?) It is predicted that there will be even more than 160,000 in 2002.

Ozark

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.hopefortoday.org/html/radio_program.cfm

That is the link. If you look around you will see certain topics that are about the end times. There are also some good messages on Daniel, particularly, chapters 7, 9, and 12.

I took the time to listen to a couple of those programs.

Once I got past the shalacking of music and advertisements, I found the substance to be entertaining, but of little scriptural merrit. It was classic futurist twisting of context and utter disregard for original audience relevance.

perhaps you would care to take one of his arguments and pose it here so we can examine it's scriptural merrits (or lack there of)

Upvote 0

David attended Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina, where he graduated with a B.A. in Bible, Greek, and Ancient History. After college David attended Grace Theological Seminary in Winona Lake, Indiana., where he received his M.Div. degree in Biblical Studies. David also continued graduate studies and received a Doctor of Ministry degree as well as a Ph.D. degree in Biblical Studies and languages.

I also took the time to listen to a couple of those programs. He has more derees in the traditional teaching of men then a thermostat with its classic twisting of scripture. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.