Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Basicaly, your talking about a book that the first "print" was 2000 years ago more or less. Much has changed from translation to translation (and simple scribe "editing"). So I guess the best would be to get a copy of the most ancient edition and get a lot of people that know and translate it word for word. I'm sure many things will change slightly but significantly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
horuhe00 said:
Basicaly, your talking about a book that the first "print" was 2000 years ago more or less. Much has changed from translation to translation (and simple scribe "editing"). So I guess the best would be to get a copy of the most ancient edition and get a lot of people that know and translate it word for word. I'm sure many things will change slightly but significantly.
Perhaps you should research biblical translation. It is a very interesting process, and not an easy one by any means. Translation is not simple and not a fast process. It takes time, money, time, people, time, and education. You can't just get an old MS and start translating...

Every modern translation was developed over many years of committee work, discussion, disagreement, etc....and they are still all different.

Upvote 0

jgnov99

Dec 12, 2004
sandlapper
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
horuhe00 said:
Much has changed from translation to translation (and simple scribe "editing").

This is an assumption made by many which has less evidence to support it than you might think. The findings in Q'umran illustrate just how accurate the translations have been over a thousand years or so. The modern versions (mainstream, that is) are, while not perfect, VERY accurate, especially the NASB.

horuhe00 said:
So I guess the best would be to get a copy of the most ancient edition and get a lot of people that know and translate it word for word.

Many modern versions are translated directly frome the most ancient texts available.

:preach: grace and peace

Upvote 0
D

Dmckay

The best Bible for you to study with is the one that you will use daily, consistantly with your heart open to the Lord's leading. Today, despite all the rhetoric about KJV vs NASB vs NIV, There isn't a lot of difference between the translations. The KJV used today has changed so much from the original. Also the Textus Receptus has not only had changes over the years, it is also quite different from the Majority Text that it is usually referred to as (wrongly).

If you take the time to study all the variants (differences) between the different version and text types it works out to less than 1% of those variants that make any difference or significance. And despite that number there is NO doctrine that stands or falls based upon a variant text.

I would say choose a translation that you can easily understand and will feel comfortable with reading all the time. The more time you spend in the Word the more comfortable you will be with it. The Lord and the Holy Spirit will bless the time you spend ingesting the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
AS we submit this translation of the Bible for publication, we recognize that any translation of the Scriptures is subject to limitations and imperfections. Anyone who has attempted to communicate the richness of God's Word into another language will realize it is impossible to make a perfect translation." (New Living translation, Bible Translation Committee)

I am aware of no translation that claims to be the "inerrant" word of God. :bow:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.