The Article I Wrote On The Confed. Flag.

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
Nick_Loves_Abba said:
So are you saying for future refrecnes assume n one knows what I'm talking about, or when I post the article in a place such as this when people really don't know what I'm talking about, explain myself?

Did that ^^^ Make sense?
That's exactly what I'm saying. The article never explains its purpose.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand your sentiment, however I don't think the article was well thought out or organized.

I went to High School in Mississippi, and many people displayed confederate flags not all of them caucasion either. I learned from a Black history teacher that the civil war was about state rights not slavery and that slavery would have died a slow death over the next 20-30 years without any need for such a brutal war. People displayed confederate flags because they were proud of the region in which they lived, and the way it had stood up for what it believed in despite the fact that it lost.

That's the problem with a symbol, it can mean anything you want it too. Instead of attacking the symbol I would have gone after the hate and the prejudice.

Nick_Loves_Abba said:
Ok. There's a few thing's one must keep in mind when reading this seemilgy SUPER stereotypical article. But keep in mind, I wrote this in a school newspaper, and the kids who I wrote this about, fit the stereotype of a Confederate Bigot to a ***T***. And I wrote it with the fact in mind, these kids do this to be cool. I'm no problem with the Confed Flag to be quite honest, if there's a real reason for the patriotism towards it. If someone has a real reason to be patriotic and proud of the Rebel cause (ie fam in war, etc...), but when it's just displayed to be cool and act like a bad*butt*, it's very annoying and very very.. I don't know the Word. Also keep in mind, we live in Michigan, and the school I go to is very diverse. Now read.

As a newspaper editorialist, it's my job to bring to the attention of my fellow classmates issues which truly affect us all, like war, terrorism, drugs, and civil right.
But this time, the issue I wish to discuss is an issue of subtly: a specific ignorance I see day in and day out throughout Lowell... Confederate Pride.
You know who you are. You're the type who somehow fashioons bulls horns on the fron of your 'big bad trucks,' or the type which displays the Confederate Flag on a bumper sticker for all who pass you to know that yes, you indeed support the Rebel cause.
But here's a newsflash kids: The South lost. A long, long time ago. (The keyword here is South. We lice in one of the northernmost states in the US, don't we?)
Now don't get my wrong, driving big, obnoxious trucks in the mud, praying to the football gods, and shucking corn are very influential parts of my life. (If it was ever appropriate for one of those animated 'roll-eyes,' it is now.)
Yet displaying my so-called 'Confedeerate Pride' is not. Not because I do not think white, excuse me, Caucasian Pride is not vital to our open-minded community, nor is it because I beliece that displaying our 'Rebel Pride' is a very non-ignorant thing to do. But I don't think it helps with the newly diversified school.
Nevermind, I was lying. To be quite honest, I think we all should be expressing our Confederate Loce, not just the super-intelligent, sickle toting hicks of our community, but also our 'yuppies', 'wangsters', and educators.
But not just our school's milky-skinned inhabitants. But also the Asians, Irish, Mexicans, and most importantly African American should get involved. Because let's face it my friends, what better wat to express our intelligence, compassion, and sense of open-mindedness than by proudly disgracing ourselves with a flag than up here, can only represent ignorance and racism.
But, I suppose it's your God-given right to express how simple-minded you are. After all, that's what our country has faught for, for so long.

Excuse the punct, grammar mistakes.

Upvote 0

Nick_Loves_Abba

Bulls On Parade
Mar 16, 2002
Michigan
✟9,662.00
Faith
Christian
ACougar said:
I understand your sentiment, however I don't think the article was well thought out or organized.

I went to High School in Mississippi, and many people displayed confederate flags not all of them caucasion either. I learned from a Black history teacher that the civil war was about state rights not slavery and that slavery would have died a slow death over the next 20-30 years without any need for such a brutal war. People displayed confederate flags because they were proud of the region in which they lived, and the way it had stood up for what it believed in despite the fact that it lost.

That's the problem with a symbol, it can mean anything you want it too. Instead of attacking the symbol I would have gone after the hate and the prejudice.
Which is true, the civil war was NOT about slavery, however. Had the southern states succeeded, how long do you think it would've taken for slavery to have been abolished down there? Although I do understand it's not a symbol which HAS to represent hate and racism, up here in Michigan (Since we have no connection with the confed army WHATso ever) , especailly in my school, the kids use it as a symbol of :superiority, racism. Why would they do his you ask? Well it's human nature to want to belong to a group, especailly one which has quite of muscle behind it. Thus, to be cool. To be cool at the expense of other people. I see you are from Mississippi. I can see where the confed flag would be appropriate down there... but up here, I just don't see a reason.

Upvote 0

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
burrow_owl said:
Substantively, the civil war was certainly about slavery - if slavery weren't a contentious issue, no war would've been fought. "States' rights" is just the procedural way in which the slavery issue was framed.
States' rights was the real issue while slavery was the hyperbole used to win support for the war.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
KyleSmith7117 said:
To me, the confederate flag is part of the county music style. I have a Confederate flag on my Ford truck, I get alot of threats because of it. The flag means southern heritage, not slavery. The mexicans use their mexican flag for heritage why cant the southerns?
And that southern heritage was based on slaves. People were bought and sold like cattle. Raped at will, bred like livestock, separated from families, beaten to death at will, hung from trees at will, dragged to death at will, attacked by dogs at will.

A little different than being proud of coming from Mexico.

Is it so difficult to understand that the grandchildren of those so abused might find your "innocent" symbol offensive? If your grandparents were branded, raped, beaten, sold away from each other, mutilated and eventually hung for being white by Mexicans, how might you feel about that flag flying in your face every day?

Have you no compassion for what another human being might feel about that flag? WWJD?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"As a newspaper editorialist, it's my job to bring to the attention of my fellow classmates issues which truly affect us all, like war, terrorism, drugs, and civil right."

You called yourself a newspaper editorialist (whatever that may be) which led me to believe you were the school paper editor. The editor edits. That's why your article looked egregiously horrendous. No editor would let that be published and if they did, they should be fired.

You also say that it's your first effort and it's naturally going to be sloppy? Not so, the first draft can be sloppy and even the second and third, but the finished piece is never sloppy. That doesn't mean you might not make an error, but nothing like the work you posted here, which you could have edited before you posted, making it at least a second effort.

I'm wondering if maybe you didn't post it here in order to get it edited, before you submit it to the paper. Hmmm? That's why I wouldn't clean it up for you. You see kids post in here all the time looking for homework answers, instead of doing the work themselves. They are looking to cut and paste and maybe you are too?

Upvote 0

Ikaria

Dec 6, 2003
✟2,464.00
Faith
Christian
Nick_Loves_Abba said:
Ok. There's a few thing's one must keep in mind when reading this seemilgy SUPER stereotypical article. But keep in mind, I wrote this in a school newspaper, and the kids who I wrote this about, fit the stereotype of a Confederate Bigot to a ***T***. And I wrote it with the fact in mind, these kids do this to be cool. I'm no problem with the Confed Flag to be quite honest, if there's a real reason for the patriotism towards it. If someone has a real reason to be patriotic and proud of the Rebel cause (ie fam in war, etc...), but when it's just displayed to be cool and act like a bad*butt*, it's very annoying and very very.. I don't know the Word. Also keep in mind, we live in Michigan, and the school I go to is very diverse. Now read.

As a newspaper editorialist, it's my job to bring to the attention of my fellow classmates issues which truly affect us all, like war, terrorism, drugs, and civil right.
But this time, the issue I wish to discuss is an issue of subtly: a specific ignorance I see day in and day out throughout Lowell... Confederate Pride.
You know who you are. You're the type who somehow fashioons bulls horns on the fron of your 'big bad trucks,' or the type which displays the Confederate Flag on a bumper sticker for all who pass you to know that yes, you indeed support the Rebel cause.
But here's a newsflash kids: The South lost. A long, long time ago. (The keyword here is South. We lice in one of the northernmost states in the US, don't we?)
Now don't get my wrong, driving big, obnoxious trucks in the mud, praying to the football gods, and shucking corn are very influential parts of my life. (If it was ever appropriate for one of those animated 'roll-eyes,' it is now.)
Yet displaying my so-called 'Confedeerate Pride' is not. Not because I do not think white, excuse me, Caucasian Pride is not vital to our open-minded community, nor is it because I beliece that displaying our 'Rebel Pride' is a very non-ignorant thing to do. But I don't think it helps with the newly diversified school.
Nevermind, I was lying. To be quite honest, I think we all should be expressing our Confederate Loce, not just the super-intelligent, sickle toting hicks of our community, but also our 'yuppies', 'wangsters', and educators.
But not just our school's milky-skinned inhabitants. But also the Asians, Irish, Mexicans, and most importantly African American should get involved. Because let's face it my friends, what better wat to express our intelligence, compassion, and sense of open-mindedness than by proudly disgracing ourselves with a flag than up here, can only represent ignorance and racism.
But, I suppose it's your God-given right to express how simple-minded you are. After all, that's what our country has faught for, for so long.

Excuse the punct, grammar mistakes.

This is an article?! It's barely long enough to be a footnote! :eek:

And excuse my rudeness, but in light of your grammatical deficiencies, how did you get to be the editor...? :scratch:

Upvote 0
Lillithspeak said:
And that southern heritage was based on slaves. People were bought and sold like cattle. Raped at will, bred like livestock, separated from families, beaten to death at will, hung from trees at will, dragged to death at will, attacked by dogs at will.

A little different than being proud of coming from Mexico.

Is it so difficult to understand that the grandchildren of those so abused might find your "innocent" symbol offensive? If your grandparents were branded, raped, beaten, sold away from each other, mutilated and eventually hung for being white by Mexicans, how might you feel about that flag flying in your face every day?

Have you no compassion for what another human being might feel about that flag? WWJD?
Every flag has its own history behind it. Look at the American flag, the americans murdered, raped and slaved the Native Americans back in 1700s times. Americans killed over millions of buffalo to starve the indians. American government stoled all their land just to make money and make their nation bigger.

Upvote 0

Nick_Loves_Abba

Bulls On Parade
Mar 16, 2002
Michigan
✟9,662.00
Faith
Christian
Lillithspeak said:
"As a newspaper editorialist, it's my job to bring to the attention of my fellow classmates issues which truly affect us all, like war, terrorism, drugs, and civil right."

You called yourself a newspaper editorialist (whatever that may be) which led me to believe you were the school paper editor. The editor edits. That's why your article looked egregiously horrendous. No editor would let that be published and if they did, they should be fired.

You also say that it's your first effort and it's naturally going to be sloppy? Not so, the first draft can be sloppy and even the second and third, but the finished piece is never sloppy. That doesn't mean you might not make an error, but nothing like the work you posted here, which you could have edited before you posted, making it at least a second effort.

I'm wondering if maybe you didn't post it here in order to get it edited, before you submit it to the paper. Hmmm? That's why I wouldn't clean it up for you. You see kids post in here all the time looking for homework answers, instead of doing the work themselves. They are looking to cut and paste and maybe you are too?
I don't have other people do my homework, this article has already been put into the school newspapaer, and it's been out for a few weeks now.

Upvote 0

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
KyleSmith7117 said:
Every flag has its own history behind it. Look at the American flag, the americans murdered, raped and slaved the Native Americans back in 1700s times. Americans killed over millions of buffalo to starve the indians. American government stoled all their land just to make money and make their nation bigger.
Speak for yourself and your own ancestors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums