Thank God we arent annihalated

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank God that Annihilationism is not true. Scripture makes it VERY clear that the wicked will be tormented in hell. For all eternity. Annihalationists apparently have never read any of the new testament. Especially the book of Revelation. Yes, it's eternal torment, yes it "sucks" to go to hell, but thank God that the wicked are punished for being wicked yet still deserve it and his holy people are comforted in eternal bliss and yet dont deserve it and it makes God's mercy just ever so more sweet. Neither side suffers the injustice of annihalation.

I say this not to boast. I could very well end up with that same fate. But, no matter what happens I thank God each and everyday for his gift of eternal life and for his completely and total righteous judgement. For his judgements are true. Whether I spend eternity with God and not deserve it or suffer for all eternity because I do deserve it I'm content either way. I have learned what to be truly content is.

Whether we spend eternity in heaven or hell is ultimately up to God. Salvation is not of ourselves but is the gift of God. But thank God that the wicked are not completely annihilated but instead are given eternal life. Yes, God has said that its better for the wicked to not to have been born at all but, I cannot think of ANYTHING more terrifying than to be completely annihilated from history forever. Especially when we had a life at one point and had existed at one point. Such a terrifying thought! It just sounds so injust and so unfair! It's so strange. I look forward to people going to hell (and perhaps myself) because that means that Gods salvation is that much more desireable. But I would not want a single soul to be completely annihilated from history. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. If we had no beginning such a fate would not even be noticed but since we've all breathed the breath of life at one point that just sounds SO terrifying!!!

Thank you God for your gift of eternal life. Whether I spend that eternity getting the justice that I deserve or whether I spend my eternity comforted in Abraham's bosom. Thank God! I am ready!

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is a "calvinist future scenario" I have seen posted in the past -- that is compared to the "Arminian future scenario".

================= First the Arminian one.

In the Rev 21 future, the city of God in a place where the wicked have been cast into the lake of fire and so - looking over the ramparts of heaven you see your precious child writhing in agony in the flames of the lake of fire and you rush to God pleading "Oh my Father couldn't you do something to help my precious child? I would gladly give my own life for them? Do you love him/her?"

And the much-expected Arminian style response is heard in reply "of course I did everything -- did all to save them , call them appeal to them as I stated in Isaiah 5:4 - but they would not accept the Gospel, they would not accept the new birth they would not - turn to Me and live. So after many appeals - I let their own decision stand".

"How often I wanted to SPARE you as a mother hen shelters her chicks - but you would not" Matt 24
"I STAND at the door and knock - if anyone hears My voice AND OPENS the door - I will come in " Rev 3

Luke 12:. 47 And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.

Matt 10:28 "fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in fiery hell"

================= next the Calvinist future scenario

In the Rev 21 future, the city of God in a place where the wicked have been cast into the lake of fire and so - looking over the ramparts of heaven you see your precious child writhing in agony in the flames of the lake of fire and you rush to God pleading "Oh my Father couldn't you do something to help my precious child? I would gladly give my own life for them? Do you love him/her?"

And the much-expected Calvinist style response is heard in reply "of course I could... IF I had cared to"

"I am after all -- Sovereign".

Some have added "God will make such a parent not care so much about a loved one that is not in heaven". Not sure all Calvinists would take such a step.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How is eternal suffering better than non-existence? My understanding is if one is in such a state, they lack any good of which they are conscious/aware. So the idea that existence is a great good in itself, although true, would mean nothing to someone in such a state. To exist within a complete absence of good does not seem to be better than non-existence. But I am open to hearing how it might be. The OP idea seems to be that one in that state would see some good in it worth wanting to exist instead of not-exist. But even in this life, people can experience such a persistent suffering that they just want to die. Is the idea that it is good as perceived from a third person perspective, e.g. God's or those in heaven?

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
How is eternal suffering better than non-existence? My understanding is if one is in such a state, they lack any good of which they are conscious/aware. So the idea that existence is a great good in itself, although true, would mean nothing to someone in such a state. To exist within a complete absence of good does not seem to be better than non-existence. But I am open to hearing how it might be. The OP idea seems to be that one in that state would see some good in it worth wanting to exist instead of not-exist. But even in this life, people can experience such a persistent suffering that they just want to die. Is the idea that it is good as perceived from a third person perspective, e.g. God's or those in heaven?
We have Jesus himself saying, concerning Judas, at least, that it would be better for that man if he had not been born. Mark 14:21

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is eternal suffering better than non-existence? My understanding is if one is in such a state, they lack any good of which they are conscious/aware.
If they don't exist, they don't exist, and probably never did. Erased from time and space.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
If they don't exist, they don't exist, and probably never did. Erased from time and space.
Lol, hard to argue with nothing! As Joe Walsh said, "You can't argue with a sick mind."

Upvote 0