✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of moving and I’m trying to pick between Dallas/Fort Worth TX, Houston TX, or Tampa FL. My main reason for moving is to have a higher chance at meeting a wife while also having a solid Orthodox community around myself. Do any of y’all live in these area or know what it’s like there Orthodox-wise?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of moving and I’m trying to pick between Dallas/Fort Worth TX, Houston TX, or Tampa FL. My main reason for moving is to have a higher chance at meeting a wife while also having a solid Orthodox community around myself. Do any of y’all live in these area or know what it’s like there Orthodox-wise?
you would likely do better in PA...I think PA has the most churches of any State in the US :)

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I liked Tampa a lot. DFW was very...crowded (traffic wise, not the church. I don't know about the church). The west coast of Florida seems to have a decent amount of Ortho communities. I just wasn't a fan of DFW tbh, but it's within spitting distance of Wichita, KS which has a (relatively) huge Antiochian population with an Orthodox private school at the cathedral of St. George, and at least a couple western rite parishes, too. Oklahoma seems to have a semi-large Ortho community as well. IDK.

Any reason you narrowed it down to those two locations? Job?

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
you would likely do better in PA...I think PA has the most churches of any State in the US :)
Being a marriage and family therapist, I’d like to be in a “red” state if things go sideways… but, I definitely contemplated PA. I’ll have to check if my spiritual father knows of any good parishes there! Thanks for the recommendation.

Just checked and my license wouldn’t transfer to PA… which is a bummer due to seeing all the churches there!

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I liked Tampa a lot. DFW was very...crowded (traffic wise, not the church. I don't know about the church). The west coast of Florida seems to have a decent amount of Ortho communities. I just wasn't a fan of DFW tbh, but it's within spitting distance of Wichita, KS which has a (relatively) huge Antiochian population with an Orthodox private school at the cathedral of St. George, and at least a couple western rite parishes, too. Oklahoma seems to have a semi-large Ortho community as well. IDK.

Any reason you narrowed it down to those two locations? Job?
Great to know. Thanks for the insight!

They both just seem to have the boost connected Orthodox communities (texas moreso). Tampa is close to my parents, but Texas seems to have more of a zeal according to knowledge and connected YAL communities. More people too, so more opportunity to find a wife… they both don’t have state income tax either, lol.

I’m a marriage and family therapist too, so given all of the things going on in society, I’m preferable to a red state compared to a blue one too if things go down again.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Being a marriage and family therapist, I’d like to be in a “red” state if things go sideways… but, I definitely contemplated PA. I’ll have to check if my spiritual father knows of any good parishes there! Thanks for the recommendation.

Just checked and my license wouldn’t transfer to PA… which is a bummer due to seeing all the churches there!
PA is dying. The demographic reality is that people are leaving the state in droves because there frankly aren't any economic opportunities there. Half of the Orthodox churches in the state are likely going to be closed within the next 10-15 years. Maaaybe 20.

That said, being in a "red" state is no guarantee on sanity. They have their problems too and while the local governments may not be for abortion, they still do some screwy things like lower the age of consent because their flawed Protestant interpretation thinks its okay for an old man to marry a teenage girl "because that's how Mary and Joseph did it". A lot of wilful ignorance and toxic behaviors in those areas.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

if that’s where you are leaning, I would say whichever of those communities have the largest, active parishes.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
if that’s where you are leaning, I would say whichever of those communities have the largest, active parishes.
Agreed! Do you know, between those three places, what aligns more closely with “largest/active/etc.”?

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
PA is dying. The demographic reality is that people are leaving the state in droves because there frankly aren't any economic opportunities there. Half of the Orthodox churches in the state are likely going to be closed within the next 10-15 years. Maaaybe 20.

That said, being in a "red" state is no guarantee on sanity. They have their problems too and while the local governments may not be for abortion, they still do some screwy things like lower the age of consent because their flawed Protestant interpretation thinks its okay for an old man to marry a teenage girl "because that's how Mary and Joseph did it". A lot of wilful ignorance and toxic behaviors in those areas.
I agree. I just tend to see more sanity in red-places compared to blue. But, it’s mainly about who has the most active and populated young adult community in all honesty (long-term).

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Agreed! Do you know, between those three places, what aligns more closely with “largest/active/etc.”?
off the top of my head no, but you can look at the Assembly of Bishops website

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
off the top of my head no, but you can look at the Assembly of Bishops website
Yeah, I saw that. Just trying to see how connected the churches are pan-Orthodox-wise, you know?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I saw that. Just trying to see how connected the churches are pan-Orthodox-wise, you know?
I personally would start with the ones that are most American and active, and then follow up with size after that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you know of any areas that align with that? Even maybe some areas that definitely don’t?
off the top of my head, no. that’s why you should check out the Assembly of Bishops website, since they have a parish directory.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Having left PA, I would say not to be too bummed out. The state is purple at best, but the cities where you will find the most Orthodox parishes, especially Pittsburgh, are bright blue. Democrats depend on Pittsburgh and Philly to get them over the top every year, which is sad because both cities have high concentrations of Catholics and Orthodox.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Having left PA, I would say not to be too bummed out. The state is purple at best, but the cities where you will find the most Orthodox parishes, especially Pittsburgh, are bright blue. Democrats depend on Pittsburgh and Philly to get them over the top every year, which is sad because both cities have high concentrations of Catholics and Orthodox.
Where did you decide to go if I may ask?

Upvote 0