Texas judge still fighting to deny wedding ceremonies to gay couples

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One doesn't need to be human to consent.
Good grief...how is it possible to even consider that a reasonable statement...

1. The definition of a "license" demands that we not obtain one to marry.
Indeed. It can simply be declared. The moment I asked my wife to marry me and she said yes...we were married. There is no legal time limit. We went through a civil ceremony to make it 'official'. So two women saying that they are married are, de facto, married. If someone wants not to perform a religious ceremony to confirm that in the eyes of any given god that it is so, then so be it. But if part of your employment duties are to register the legal aspects of a defacto relationship, then you must.

Or resign.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever had a mammalian pet? I've had plenty, of various species. I can tell quite readily when I don't have their consent; but I'm more intelligent than they. It takes training to show them when they don't have my consent. If you have worked with pets; maybe I'm just more sensitive to the reactions of my pets.

I can assure you none of the pets you've worked with are capable of consenting to marriage.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Good grief...how is it possible to even consider that a reasonable statement...
Humans aren’t like the animals until we’re needed to be to bolster a weak argument, I guess?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Humans aren’t like the animals until we’re needed to be to bolster a weak argument, I guess?
One day my sister tried to tell her friend that our dog didn't consent to her teasing him with his food. Her friend ignored her until she needed hospitalization. Some people just don't belive that other people can sense when animals don't consent.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I can assure you none of the pets you've worked with are capable of consenting to marriage.

-CryptoLutheran
Well, at least not in Texas; but I wouldn't marry an animal. I'm not so confused as to engage in such a perverted act.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
By using reason.
We are talking about marriage. Not 'Who's a good boy, then!' and getting a wagged tail. This is a serious discussion. It helps if everyone treats it as such.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it’s like
“You can marry anyone you choose but I cannot perform this particular duty for homosexuals.”

If she swears off doing any weddings, she might have an out?
It might be a possibility but that is a core part of her position. I have heard of one Orthodox priest who is now refusing to sign marriage certificates thereby forcing a separation between the secular legal marriage and the Sacrament of Marriage. He only does the Sacramental service but the couple then has to go to someone else to sign the legal paperwork.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

-CryptoLutheran

I was going to say in jest "What about talking horses?", but then I remembered it was Mister Ed, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Anyway, back to agreeing that this is a serious discussion...

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have zero expectations of unbelievers to care about the word of God, it’s the Christians here on CF that I do expect to hold the word of God above secular laws.
Great -- can we start a movement among Christians in the US to get rid of those thoroughly unbiblical laws against polygamy?

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think it’s like
“You can marry anyone you choose but I cannot perform this particular duty for homosexuals.”

If she swears off doing any weddings, she might have an out?
As much as a police officer who swears off making any arrests or doing any paperwork, I'd hope.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great -- can we start a movement among Christians in the US to get rid of those thoroughly unbiblical laws against polygamy?
Polygamy is not condoned by Christianity, you’re confusing Christianity with Judaism.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We are talking about marriage. Not 'Who's a good boy, then!' and getting a wagged tail. This is a serious discussion. It helps if everyone treats it as such.
I view the suffering from the delusion of inappropriate behavior with animals to be no less serious than the suffering from the delusion of homosexuality.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I view the suffering from the delusion of inappropriate behavior with animals to be no less serious than the suffering from the delusion of homosexuality.

So what's your take on 1 Corinthians 5:11-13, just out of curiosity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
And the present discussion isn't?
It might have moral implications for you; but we must set those aside when posting in this forum.

Here is the relevant portion of the Statement of Purpose for this forum:

Homosexuality, Same-Sex Marriage, Bisexuality and Transgenderism/Transexualism: Discussion of these topics must comply with the sitewide rule barring the promotion of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, and transgenderism/transexualism. Discussion and debate should only be directed toward political, legal, historical and civil rights issues, and should not be directed toward the morality of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality or transgenderism/transexualism.

News & Current Events Forum Statement of Purpose

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It might have moral implications for you; but we must set those aside when posting in this forum.

Here is the relevant portion of the Statement of Purpose for this forum:

Homosexuality, Same-Sex Marriage, Bisexuality and Transgenderism/Transexualism: Discussion of these topics must comply with the sitewide rule barring the promotion of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, and transgenderism/transexualism. Discussion and debate should only be directed toward political, legal, historical and civil rights issues, and should not be directed toward the morality of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality or transgenderism/transexualism.

News & Current Events Forum Statement of Purpose
According to these rules this forum shouldn’t even exist on a Christian site and should be reserved for a secular forum website. Setting aside morality issues should never be a practice for followers of Christ.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, if you are rich and powerful enough, Luther was open to the bigamy of Phillip of Hesse:

“Still less would I have advised a public marriage” . . . “what I expected was, that, since he was obliged owing to the weakness of the flesh to follow the ordinary course of sin and shame, he would perhaps keep an honest girl in some house, and wed her secretly though even this would look ill in the sight of the world and thus overcome his great trouble of conscience; he could then ride backwards and forwards, as the great lords do frequently enough; similar advice I gave also to certain parish priests under Duke George and the bishops, viz. that they should marry their cook secretly.” . . .​

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you trying to equate inappropriate behavior with animals with homosexuality?

Upvote 0