✟428.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I read the following from this website:
http://www.w65stchurchofchrist.org/11The_Old_Testament_in_New_Testament.htm

What About the Ten Commandments

People are often uncomfortable when we tell them that man is no longer under the Ten Commandments. Such a statement sounds outright blasphemous to many modern religious people. So, what do we mean when we say man is no longer under the Ten Commandments? Does this mean man is free to practice everything the Ten Commandments forbid? No! Absolutely not! Today we are under the law of Christ (I Cor. 7:19; 9:21). His law includes nine of the Ten Commandments (Jesus did not include the Sabbath in His law). Today we abstain from murdering, adultery, stealing and lying because we are under Jesus’ law.
This point can be illustrated by comparing the laws of America to the laws of England (or whatever country your ancestors came from). When our forefathers left England the laws there forbade murdering and stealing. When our forefathers came to America, the laws of their new nation also forbade murdering and stealing. Now, when these new citizens of America abstain from murdering and stealing, is it because they are under the authority of England or America? Obviously, it is because they come under the authority of American laws. Even though the laws of both England and America forbid the exact same acts, we still recognize that two different sets of law exist. There is nothing difficult about making this distinction. The fact that there are similarities in the laws of the two nations does not mean that American citizens can combine the two sets to suit their own personal taste. American citizens, living in America, are under the laws of the United States of America. This is an easy point to see when comparing the laws of two countries. But, when we turn our attention to the transition from the Old Testament to the New Testament, some people find it difficult to get a mental grasp on it. They fail to see that it is just as simple as understanding changing citizenship from one country to another, or just as simple as the graduation example used earlier in this chapter.
When Christians abstain from murdering and stealing it is because of New Testament authority, not the Ten Commandments. Even though some of the Old Testament laws and New Testament laws are the same, we must recognize that two different covenants are involved. Christians are under the authority of Jesus (Matt. 28:18-20). Christians live the way they do because Jesus so directs (see also II Cor. 3:7-16).

Is this true? Are the Ten Commandments (and other Old Testament laws) basically null and void? Have they been "replaced" by Jesus' "new commandment" to love God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind; and love your neighbor as yourself?

I know the above site is a site from another denomination, but do Catholics believe this as well?

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
(NOTE - I'm not entirely sure on the Church's official positioin, so listen to what others say over me)
Yes, the OT commands were done away with Christ. We don't have to obstain from pork, shelfish, etc. or keep distance from people with skin diseases or celebrate the Jewish holidays.
That being said, we do NOT obey the 10 commandments because they are mentioned in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5, we DO obey them because they were taught by Christ and His Church (all 10).

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lost_Sheep said:
I read the following from this website:
http://www.w65stchurchofchrist.org/11The_Old_Testament_in_New_Testament.htm

Is this true? Are the Ten Commandments (and other Old Testament laws) basically null and void? Have they been "replaced" by Jesus' "new commandment" to love God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind; and love your neighbor as yourself?

I know the above site is a site from another denomination, but do Catholics believe this as well?

I was "partially" raised in the Church of Christ, and you have to be really really careful with what they teach. Really careful. For example, my dad, God rest his soul, refused to even read the OT because the COC said it didn't pertain to us.

I don't know the Catholic teaching on this, but I would hazard a guess to say it doesn't line up with the COC.:)

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Dark_Lite said:
Where's that verse that says Jesus came to fulfill the law, rather than abolish it?

I know all sorts of random stuff but I'm horrid with Bible verses.

Matthew 5:17

However, He makes two comments later in Matthew that are relevant. In verse 7:12, He says that the Golden Rule sums up all of the law and prophets. In chapter 22, He says that loving God and loving neighbor is the source of the law and prophets.

Upvote 0

Brian2944

Sep 5, 2005
Georgia
✟7,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The NT is the fulfillment of the OT. The OT law was NEEDED to prepare the faithful for the Messiah. Christ came and fulfilled the law with love, so legalism would not be needed. Christianity is the completeness of Judaism. The OT and NT make up ONE plan of salvation.

When you were a child did your parents have more rules than they do when you're an adult??? Of course,Why?? When I was young my parents would say, "don't talk back to your parents". I accepted this as a rule, with consequences, because I was to young to understand why. Now being 27 yrs old, my parents do not enforce that law because of my LOVE for them. My love for them fulfilled the "child rules", without me trying to follow the law.

The OT was the infancy of the complete plan of redemption.

And yes, we still use the 10 commandments and other OT laws. Not because we HAVE to, but because we WANT to make sure we show our LOVE for God through self-sacrifice of our own will, complete surrender.

Most of the OT laws taught us at the time about how the Messiah would be, a sacrifice. The offerings of the OT were teaching us the beauty of giving up what's important to us. Animals and tithe offerings were enforced to teach us how to not put the attention on us, but HIM. And at the time Jesus had not come to show us LOVE yet, which is what he did on the cross.

The Cross is Love. He was that spotless perfect offering for us. Without the OT we would not have begun to understand what an offering was, and definitely would not have understood how much LOVE was displayed on it.

Upvote 0

FatherAndrew

May 31, 2006
✟15,347.00
Faith
Catholic
When Christ was asked "what deeds must I do to have eternal life," our Lord said, "If you would enter life, keep the commandments."

They then asked him which commandments should they keep? And Christ listed almost all of the ten commandments.

"You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Matthew 19:16-19

Start reading the catechism at 2052, and it does a wonderful job explaining the importance of the ten commandments.

Fr. Andy

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FatherAndrew said:
When Christ was asked "what deeds must I do to have eternal life," our Lord said, "If you would enter life, keep the commandments."

They then asked him which commandments should they keep? And Christ listed almost all of the ten commandments.

"You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Matthew 19:16-19

Start reading the catechism at 2052, and it does a wonderful job explaining the importance of the ten commandments.

Fr. Andy

Can start start reading the catechism, like, now. In 2052 I'll be over 90 years old.

I really don't expect to make it that long.

Upvote 0

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Cosmic Charlie said:
Can start start reading the catechism, like, now. In 2052 I'll be over 90 years old.

I really don't expect to make it that long.

lol...

and can I put my 2c here?

The ten commandments are based on love.

Christs command "that you should love your neighbour as you love yourself" is also Love.

All these commands are for the good of man kind. for If you Love your neighbour, you would not steal, nor would you kill etc.

in NO way are the 10 commandments abolished.

they are completed.

And, since love stems from God since God is love , if you do not do the first, you cannot to the rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.