USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all know what you think of Tongues Dave, but it isn't correct to say they were spontaneous in the NT.
Tongues were always under the control of the believer.
Not in the outpourings or the deposition through the apostle's hands.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont relate anything done in this video to the apostles or anything spiritual. Is this, do you think, why some are so moved with negative emotion when they see this?.....because they are comparing them to the apostles?

I think many believe that guy is a false teacher. What I would like to see is a group people who claim they can interpret, and let each one separately listen to a recording of someone speaking in tongues and see how many of them give the same interpretation.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think many believe that guy is a false teacher. What I would like to see is a group people who claim they can interpret, and let each one separately listen to a recording of someone speaking in tongues and see how many of them give the same interpretation.
I prefer to smile and move on.....I see no value in judging these people. They arent hurting anyone, so why not allow them to do what they feel is right......or be an example of the right way for them to follow?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I prefer to smile and move on.....I see no value in judging these people. They arent hurting anyone, so why not allow them to do what they feel is right......or be an example of the right way for them to follow?

I agree. I remain skeptical but I don’t say that speaking in tongues does not occur today. Having never experienced it myself I’m unable to believe it to be true when I see others who say they can speak in tongues. Probably because of an experience I had as a child when we attended a Pentecostal Church in our neighborhood one time. I was probably about 7 or 8 years old. Everyone began speaking in tongues and convulsing uncontrollably. SCARED THE HECK OUT OF ME!! No offense to my Pentecostal brothers and sisters but I didn’t know what was going on and these people to me at that time appeared completely crazy. One guy punched a hole in the wall. That’s when my mom said ok it’s time to go and we left and never went back. This is probably why I’m very skeptical about speaking in tongues not to mention that nobody I know has ever done it. So I can’t attest to the mental stability of anyone who speaks in tongues. What I mean by that is the only people I’ve ever seen speaking in tongues I didn’t know them so I can’t say for sure if they are of sound mind. I know that sounds really bad and my intention is not to insult or disrespect anyone who does speak in tongues I’m simply explaining why I have difficulty believing in it. Please accept my sincere apology if I have offended anyone. It truly is not my intention but I couldn’t think of any other way to say it.

• Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that sounds really bad and my intention is not to insult or disrespect anyone who does speak in tongues I’m simply explaining why I have difficulty believing in it.
That is certainly your prerogative, but (per this forum's SOP) this isn't the place to press that point.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is certainly your prerogative, but (per this forum's SOP) this isn't the place to press that point.

Ok perhaps this OP is not in the correct forum. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will not discuss it any further.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When baby talk like babies......we laugh and smile......What is the harm in doing the same when adult do it?
The harm is its a lie - Its not a language - Its not God speaking - Its a lie. What is the motive behind the lie. .... it beguiles people and they will come back to his ministry - and relinquish their money and furnish all sorts of praise upon him. The harm is that he represents deceit and there's nothing virtuous about that.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The harm is its a lie - Its not a language - Its not God speaking - Its a lie.
If you are criticizing tongues, generally, this isn't the forum in which to do that; just as we don't promote it in Cessationist sub-forums. The SOP says to move that to General Theology .

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you are criticizing tongues, generally, this isn't the forum in which to do that; just as we don't promote it in Cessationist sub-forums. The SOP says to move that to General Theology .
The OP is discussing a Youtube Video. Why are you now attempting to generalise everyones comments to speaking in tongues more generally.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are you now attempting to generalise everyones comments to speaking in tongues more generally.
So many of the responses have been framed that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admin hat on
291408_e6cf608610e995bd8499eea7250caff4.jpeg

This thread has been moved from
Spiritual Gifts
to
Sign Gifts

As the SOP of Spiritual Gifts says:

The spiritual sign gifts: Speaking in Tongues, Interpretation of Tongues, Healing, and Miracles; may not be discussed or promoted in this forum. Please discuss the sign gifts in the Sign Gifts forum (no debate allowed).

Carry on.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for moving it to the right forum. I'm surprised that there are Christians out there that believe in that kind of stuff. We are saved by grace not by our ability to speak in tongues. Most Christians don't have that gift.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hmmm I was curious if any would defend this.

I am a cessationist of course and "tongues" as they are called, Is always a language and it was an Apostolic gift.
Otherwise, For just one instance, Why would should our missionaries need schooling to learn other languages before going overseas?
Don't get me wrong, I am friends with some charismatics and pentecostals and we just agree to disagree and go on our merry way.

Anyhoo. I just wanted to point out that this type of stuff is ludicrous and it is NOT Holy Spirit led.
"God is not the Author of confusion".
I was just curious if anyone on CF supported this behavior?

Reactions: Seadish
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm I was curious if any would defend this.

I am a cessationist of course and "tongues" as they are called, Is always a language and it was an Apostolic gift.
Otherwise, For just one instance, Why would should our missionaries need schooling to learn other languages before going overseas?
Don't get me wrong, I am friends with some charismatics and pentecostals and we just agree to disagree and go on our merry way.

Anyhoo. I just wanted to point out that this type of stuff is ludicrous and it is NOT Holy Spirit led.
"God is not the Author of confusion".
I was just curious if anyone on CF supported this behavior?

You might get some people on CF that believe this as it's unfortunately a common enough belief. But idk of any.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
You might get some people on CF that believe this as it's unfortunately a common enough belief. But idk of any.
There is a group around here that teach "how" to speak in "tongues" as well. That is why I found this and posted it. You just have to start saying little baby words and you can too ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There is a group around here that teach "how" to speak in "tongues" as well. That is why I found this and posted it. You just have to start saying little baby words and you can too ;)

Lol. I don't really want to speak in tongues even if it were possible to make me speak in tongues. I mean probably because to get a person to speak in tongues it'd probably take the possession of a demon. Like have you ever seen those people on the internet who claim that you can receive the holy spirit and when you "receive" the Holy Spirit you twitch and convulse on the floor? That's demon possession as well.

Upvote 0

tbeachhead

Apr 27, 2006
✟8,733.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Further proof it's a bunch of malarkey. Tongues were spontaneous in the NT and happened to the least expecting.
Hi...I'm Pete,

Just curious...what do you suppose the Corinthian church expected? Hmm?

It's not good to limit one's understanding from a few passages in Acts, although...y'know...it's pretty clear Paul was expecting more in Ephesus than he saw, until he saw what he was expecting. Best not to make rules, unless you're applying the rules Paul taught to those who had actually some experience with the phenomenon that seems quite easy to misunderstand.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi...I'm Pete,

Just curious...what do you suppose the Corinthian church expected? Hmm?

It's not good to limit one's understanding from a few passages in Acts, although...y'know...it's pretty clear Paul was expecting more in Ephesus than he saw, until he saw what he was expecting. Best not to make rules, unless you're applying the rules Paul taught to those who had actually some experience with the phenomenon that seems quite easy to misunderstand.
If scripture does not support divorce between believers, you are adding to God's word making exceptions for it. The Christian always forgives, remains single if divorced by an unbeliever. And never remarries if divorced. Without holiness no one will see the Lord.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If scripture does not support divorce between believers, you are adding to God's word making exceptions for it. The Christian always forgives, remains single if divorced by an unbeliever. And never remarries if divorced. Without holiness no one will see the Lord.
I believe you meant this for a different debate you are having on another thread....

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Not in the outpourings or the deposition through the apostle's hands.
Who are you to make that claim, given that you are a complete outsider on such things.

This is what Paul said, and you will see that all gifts of the spirit are always under the control of the person.
1Cor14v27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two, or at most three, should speak in turn, and someone must interpret.
If tongues are spontaneous, how can they stop to take turns, or wait till its interpreted?

28But if there is no interpreter, he should remain silent in the church and speak only to himself and God.
How can Paul tell them to remain silent if its spontaneous?

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.
The same with prophets, the speaker is always in control.

30And if a revelation comes to someone who is seated, the first speaker should hold his peace.
Prophecy or tongues can be held back to allow others a turn. Again, self control at work.

31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.
So there we have stated in bold by Paul, the spirits of the prophets, which also includes tongues, interpretations, visions etc. are all under the jurisdiction of the speaker.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.