Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK people, smarter than me, help me sort this out.

The taxpayers of Wisconsin are preparing to pay Foxconn 3 billion dollars to bring approx. 13,000 jobs to their state. That's almost $250,000 per job. The jobs will pay approx. $50,000 per year. So in effect the taxpayers across the state are buying these jobs.

How many jobs could be bought nation wide by taxpayer's buying into a national healthcare system?

I'm not defining any tight guidelines, I'd just like to get some serious feedback. Thanks.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
OK people, smarter than me, help me sort this out.

The taxpayers of Wisconsin are preparing to pay Foxconn 3 billion dollars to bring approx. 13,000 jobs to their state. That's almost $250,000 per job. The jobs will pay approx. $50,000 per year. So in effect the taxpayers across the state are buying these jobs.

How many jobs could be bought nation wide by taxpayer's buying into a national healthcare system?

I'm not defining any tight guidelines, I'd just like to get some serious feedback. Thanks.
Wow! 3 billion?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At best - zero. It is essentially stealing not-so-visible parts of millions of other peoples' jobs in order to "create" a much smaller number of more visible jobs.
What jobs are stolen and which jobs are created. I really don't know what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...res-wisconsin-foxconn-announcement/512077001/

Foxconn Technology Group announced at the White House Wednesday its plans to invest $10 billion to build a massive display panel plant in Wisconsin that could employ up to 13,000 workers but would require up to $3 billion in subsidies from state taxpayers.
Sounds like a really great deal for 13,000 workers, many that will not be from Wisconsin. And a great deal for anyone with a piece of Foxconn (BTW not a division of the number one cable news network). Foxconn is a Japanese firm.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a really great deal for 13,000 workers, many that will not be from Wisconsin. And a great deal for anyone with a piece of Foxconn (BTW not a division of the number one cable news network). Foxconn is a Japanese firm.
Yes, Foxconn is Japanese and contracts with Apple, I believe.

I wonder about that too. Are those jobs going to be filled by present Wisconsin residents or will Foxconn apply for foreign workers to fill some of those jobs.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wonder about that too. Are those jobs going to be filled by present Wisconsin residents or will Foxconn apply for foreign workers to fill some of those jobs.
Neither.

They are factoring in all the temporary constitution jobs needed to build a facility of that size. Once up and running it's going to be almost totally automated, that's the only way they can get the returns they require with American labor costs.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neither.

They are factoring in all the temporary constitution jobs needed to build a facility of that size. Once up and running it's going to be almost totally automated, that's the only way they can get the returns they require with American labor costs.
So I went looking and sure enough in this article the job numbers are much lower.
Foxconn's estimate on jobs was more conservative. In a statement, the company said the project will create 3,000 jobs with the "potential" to generate up to 13,000 new jobs.
Apple supplier Foxconn says it will build big Wisconsin factory

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought the were Japanese, but they are Taiwanese.

So do you have any thoughts on taxpayers investing in a universal healthcare system generating jobs and better jobs than taxpayer's buying jobs from corporations.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the US transitioned to a universal health care model it would likely mean significant job losses. Not for doctors, nurses or support staff but for the insurance industry which would be vastly reduced in size. It would be a great improvement in terms of cost and efficiency but a lot of middle men would be out on their rears.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought the were Japanese, but they are Taiwanese.

So do you have any thoughts on taxpayers investing in a universal healthcare system generating jobs and better jobs than taxpayer's buying jobs from corporations.
It would be a better long-term investment IMHO

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the US transitioned to a universal health care model it would likely mean significant job losses. Not for doctors, nurses or support staff but for the insurance industry which would be vastly reduced in size. It would be a great improvement in terms of cost and efficiency but a lot of middle men would be out on their rears.
A fundamental misconception you and many have about US health insurance.
Universal healthcare would still be run by insurance companies just like Medicare is. There would simply be a plan for everyone. The ACA was a step in the right direction but is overly complex. One should not need an economics degree to choose a plan.

Medicare is likely the best model, having a default plan and Advantage plans as an option. The only government healthcare plan is the VA. CHAMPUS is operated by insurance companies .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is true, only some of them would be able to move over into the admin. side of the universal system.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is true, only some of them would be able to move over into the admin. side of the universal system.
I disagree. More covered means more jobs. It will all be contracted out to Blue Cross Cigna etc,

• Informative
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree. More covered means more jobs. It will all be contracted out to Blue Cross Cigna etc,
How would that be any different than we have right now. If ACA didn't have the subsidies that it does more people would be without insurance that there were before the ACA. As it is my son-in-law hates the ACA. Their families premiums went up some but the deductibles are really high. Broken leg, broken arm, all out of pocket.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, I'm confused. I thought Medicare was administered by CMS under HHS?
Think about claims processing and network management. CMS handles big decisions about what gets covered and has oversight. Private insurance companies actually run the operations.
The Army doesn't make weapons or supplies. Private vendors do all that. Same concept.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0