Tattoos... SO GOOD

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Don't at all understand the point of your thread, or your other thread either. While I don't agree with abstinence from all alcohol and I don't really disagree scripturally with tatooing I am wondering why you want to incite and alienate people? "Tattoos... SO GOOD"?...uh, seriously? Oy.

Sounds like a promotion from someone who stands to gain financially from talking folks into inking up their bodies.

wm

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may need to explain a bit more on your stance that tattoos are now acceptable to God and your understanding of the scriptures that speak against these practices or you of course are going to have people tell you it is wrong for a Christian.

Leviticus 19:28
‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Just curious if you obey the other verses or Leviticus 19 as well e.g. verses 19 or 27? I would bet the answer is no.

Upvote 0

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just curious if you obey the other verses or Leviticus 19 as well e.g. verses 19 or 27? I would bet the answer is no.

I feel you should understand that societal changes and cultural differences (after all, we all weren't born middle eastern Jewish Israelites) dictate most of the other verses you referenced. For instance, in the army you can't have a whole bunch of facial hair and that is for combat purposes. Other jobs also require a clean-shaven look; however, in ancient times it was a different story.

19 “‘Keep my decrees.
“‘Do not mate different kinds of animals.
“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

Due to mother nature and technological advances, a lot of these circumstances are out of our hands in this modern day and age. For instance, many dogs are mixed breeds and there aren't too many clothes which don't say 10% cotton and 90% spandex, etc. However, back in ancient times I'm sure this kind of apparel was hard to come by. Not everyone is a farmer either. So are we guilty of sin if we eat crop from a field in which tomatoes and oranges or pears and bananas were grown side by side??? We didn't do the planting, so how could we go about finding that out anyway??? See. In ancient times everybody planted and grew their own crop, therefore, it could easily be enforced and regulated. In society today, not so much. On a practical level, these societal commandments are pretty much unenforceable.

However, tattooing does NOT under ANY circumstance fit into one of the above categories. For the most part, it is all strictly voluntary, therefore, it is categorized as willful defiance/disobedience and remains a sin in the eyes of GOD. After all, He doesn't change remember??? That chapter also speaks on slavery which NO longer exists in our culture today, so does that mean the rest of it is null and void simply bc this particular law is unenforceable??? Bc that's what you are implying. As they say, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ever heard of that??? It means, do not discard something valuable in your eagerness to get rid of some useless thing associated with it.

Here are some other commandments from that exact same passage which are VERY MUCH ENFORCEABLE to this very day and APPLIES to all of us Christians no matter what.

11 “‘Do not steal. “‘Do not lie.
“‘Do not deceive one another.
12 “‘Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the LORD.
13 “‘Do not defraud or rob your neighbor.
14 “‘Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD.
15 “‘Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.
16 “‘Do not go about spreading slander among your people.
“‘Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the LORD.
18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

31 “‘Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

So, when it comes down to making PERSONAL choices the LAWS of GOD are wholly enforceable. This IS the category that tattooing fits in. In this modern day and age, it is a personal choice NOT a societal custom like the others you mentioned above. It is a personal choice to break one of these commandments when you choose to lie or slander your neighbor. However, YOU probably obey scripture when it comes to this verse, so WHY are you playing favorites? Which verse 15 tells us not to do. This rational seems completely backwards. I don't know you but if you are a good Christian, you should be aiming to abide by the commandments of GOD which ARE enforceable (like this tattooing thing) instead of trying to justify a violation of GOD's commandments by pointing out which ones aren't enforceable due to societal changes and cultural differences. Do you know how crazy that looks? You are arguing a moot point. Christ said I am He who judges man by their hearts and their deeds. So if you are using scripture as motivation to continue sinning, what does that say about you as a Christian? In the end we are all held accountable for our actions, so do you really think you're outsmarting GOD or you'll simply "get away with it" bc of this tired excuse (you aren't the only one. It gets used a lot)? We ALL go before The Judge, so in the meantime work on a better comeback for when you'll have to answer to GOD for your unrepentant transgressions. I don't think He'll like it very much if all you can come up with is that the Word of GOD is imperfect.

So, just curious, do you obey the other ENFORCEABLE verses within Leviticus 19? I bet the answer is yes. So what does that say about you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drobbyb

Jan 18, 2011
South Carolina
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38 KJV) "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:39-40 KJV)

I think Jesus said it all.

Upvote 0

Maremma

Feb 1, 2011
✟15,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point of that scripture being pointed out is to put it in context so that the OP understand why people would feel it is sin.It isn't "just an old testament law that has passed away" He insulted everyone's intelligence by saying we are not reading the bible in context when really he has a misunderstanding himself.

He himself does not understand those scriptures in context. I simply told him what the context truly is in hopes he would be less ugly towards his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ over this.
Satan hasn't changed. What he required of the people that worship him and his demons is still the same today. It is NOT a "cultural issue". It is a spiritual one and THAT is why people get upset. Blood letting, killing babies, any type of blood ritual, tattooing still hasn't changed for satan worshipers. None of that has changed for satan either.
God STILL wants us to love, honor and respect Him only.God still wants us to do what HE says to do and not to do that have anything to do with satan. HE has been the enemy of man since the beginning of time. The great deceiver. The father of lies. The destroyer of the Christian witness.The divider of the church. HE is still under the law and operates under the law.
Then the OP comes here attacking strangers calling them names and insulting them over tattoos, it really isn't helping out his Christian witness.

How is that acting in love? How is that obeying scriptures that tell us we are not to cause a weaker brother to stumble, just because someone else's faith is strong and they are not convicted for tattooing themselves does NOT give them a right to run around attacking others who fear it is sin.
Not only that, the stronger faithed is suppose to abstain from the activity to prevent the weaker brothers from falling.(1 Corinthians 8) It is better to have a millstone tied around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to sin. (Mark 9:32)

Really the biggest problem isn't whether this person wants to tattoo himself all up, it is his unchristian, mean spirited attack on strangers that is the bigger issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@ Drobby, IDK...I was going to say I'll just delete it but u got to understand the reason I'm SO thorough is because I have a problem with using a lot of brevity in my posts (mentioned it time and time again in this thread) and I have found that that is more inefficient than anything you can imagine. I learned that lesson the hard and very long way. So now I see it like no matter what I say they might still have a hard time understanding or comprehending my viewpoint so I should aim to reexplain it over and over again in a variety of ways to cut down on this mishap. Believe me, anytime I was overly confident and thought I was getting my point across, it ALWAYS backfired. Now I'm just the opposite of that. It just happened in the last thread I was in in fact. I Kept telling this one dude all I'm saying is we should have mutual respect for one another and he kept trying to put words in my mouth and talk down to me and argue a moot point anyway. It happens more often than you'd realize. So my motivation behind that statement was if I use his own wording in my rebuttal this point might get through to him more than anything else will. So, I think it should stay. This is an executive and objective decision. Trust me, u will learn u want to be as thorough as possible on message boards bc when all we are relying on is words on a screen a lot can and does get misplaced in translation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drobbyb

Jan 18, 2011
South Carolina
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't trying to talk down to you, and I apologize if that came across that way. I don't think you should delete anything from your post. I am unfamiliar with the members on this particular forum so I had not seen enough of your posts to know.

What I said was out of love. I try not to take sides in a discussion, and I would have said that to anyone.

The main problem with message boards is it is hard to project the appropriate connotation of the words that we speak. If I did offend you or anyone, forgive me. I am human and imperfect too :)

Upvote 0

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a really good point about blood rituals. I see that but @ drobbyb do u see how this perspective might not get through to that poster. It is very technical stuff she's talking about but the poster might not ingest the word in the same capacity (babies in Christ typically don't) so it is all just "overreaction" to him. In reality it is not but not everyone can comprehend the word of God on this level. Some think satan's not an issue anymore once you are saved, GOD/Christ will forgive me no matter what. In the end, that's what they typically counter with. That's why you have to be more than just one noted (and I'm not saying Maremma is) I'm just saying that's why I choose to elaborate on my concept in a variety of ways. I have to be creative.

The point of that scripture being pointed out is to put it in context so that the OP understand why people would feel it is sin.It isn't "just an old testament law that has passed away" He insulted everyone's intelligence by saying we are not reading the bible in context when really he has a misunderstanding himself.

He himself does not understand those scriptures in context. I simply told him what the context truly is in hopes he would be less ugly towards his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ over this.
Satan hasn't changed. What he required of the people that worship him and his demons is still the same today. It is NOT a "cultural issue". It is a spiritual one and THAT is why people get upset. Blood letting, killing babies, any type of blood ritual, tattooing still hasn't changed for satan worshipers. None of that has changed for satan either.
God STILL wants us to love, honor and respect Him only.God still wants us to do what HE says to do and not to do that have anything to do with satan. HE has been the enemy of man since the beginning of time. The great deceiver. The father of lies. The destroyer of the Christian witness.The divider of the church. HE is still under the law and operates under the law.
Then the OP comes here attacking strangers calling them names and insulting them over tattoos, it really isn't helping out his Christian witness.

How is that acting in love? How is that obeying scriptures that tell us we are not to cause a weaker brother to stumble, just because someone else's faith is strong and they are not convicted for tattooing themselves does NOT give them a right to run around attacking others who fear it is sin.
Not only that, the stronger faithed is suppose to abstain from the activity to prevent the weaker brothers from falling.(1 Corinthians 8) It is better to have a millstone tied around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to sin. (Mark 9:32)

Really the biggest problem isn't whether this person wants to tattoo himself all up, it is his unchristian, mean spirited attack on strangers that is the bigger issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't trying to talk down to you, and I apologize if that came across that way. I don't think you should delete anything from your post. I am unfamiliar with the members on this particular forum so I had not seen enough of your posts to know.

What I said was out of love
. I try not to take sides in a discussion, and I would have said that to anyone.

The main problem with message boards is it is hard to project the appropriate connotation of the words that we speak. If I did offend you or anyone, forgive me. I am human and imperfect too :)

I want you to know that I certainly wasn't saying you offended me or scolded me in any capacity. We all have to get to learn one another's personalities so I understand that. I felt you were commenting out of love and whatnot 100%. That was never in question. I was just explaining that ANOTHER poster in ANOTHER thread recently misunderstood my words and kept trying to scold me and argue a moot point without realizing he was the one in the wrong. Ergo, this is my reason for trying to be thorough. That's it.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Tattoos so good...to not have any (man made ones).

Because there is certainly no law or commandment to make them, but Scripture does mention making them,(or something quite similar) in a strongly negative context.

Not having any man made tattoos is one less thing one need not wonder/worry about...whether such will be judged as a blemish in The Lord's eyes.

If I had a tattoo I'd seriously consider having it removed.

wm

Upvote 0

drobbyb

Jan 18, 2011
South Carolina
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love you guys, I really do :) One of my favorite things to do is to fellowship with other Christians. God shows me things all the time. I was considering adding to the tattoo on my left arm, praying about it and waiting on an answer. Then this thread pops up. Since not all Christians are at the same maturity level and I don't want to be a stumbling block for anyone else, it's probably not a good idea for me to do so.

Praise God.

Upvote 0