Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i'm good at problem solving, but i falter remembering the names of people.

I'm pretty horrible remember names of people too, although strangely I am rather good at remembering years for things. Whenever I watch a movie I usually know none of the character's names. For whatever reason my mind places names on a very low priority for remembrance.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For whatever reason my mind places names on a very low priority for remembrance.

Yes mine is the same.

It was a real problem when i was a youth worker working on the streets of a major city. Everybody knew me and came to say hallo and i would recognise them, often time knew the secrets of their hearts, but i wouldn't remember their name.

Hi man
Good to see you bro, sis.
G'day mate.

Where the lines i used to rescue myself with hoping as they kept talking to me i would remember their name, or someone else would use it in the mean time.

No matter how hard i tried, i have never learned to remember names.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes mine is the same.

It was a real problem when i was a youth worker working on the streets of a major city. Everybody knew me and came to say hallo and i would recognise them, often time knew the secrets of their hearts, but i wouldn't remember their name.

Hi man
Good to see you bro, sis.
G'day mate.

Where the lines i used to rescue myself with hoping as they kept talking to me i would remember their name, or someone else would use it in the mean time.

No matter how hard i tried, i have never learned to remember names.

Lol.. I can totally relate.. usually I just flat out say.. "don't take it personally.. I just do not remember names well..".

Although these recent years I've made more of an effort to be considerate and remember people's names and I've somewhat improved.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
What are some things you find yourself talented compared to the average person? In contrast.. what are some things you find difficult compared to the average person?

Compared to the average person?

What does that mean?

Everyone is good at something and not so good at other things.

Like, don't ask the plumber to put up some shelves

and don't ask the carpenter to fix your leaking waterpipe.

Though you may be thinking of other things.

Depends on how deep one wants to dig, would reckon.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thumbs up: Ideas, problem-solving, encouragement, grit.

Thumbs down: Patience. If I don't see results I'm done. Inclusive. I like certain qualities and I don't go beyond it very often.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What are some things you find yourself talented compared to the average person? In contrast.. what are some things you find difficult compared to the average person?
I am good at fixing/making mechanical things.

I am bad at playing a musical instrument and acting. I tried acting once, it went so bad.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not officially diagnosed but i may be dyslexia. I know i can not spell and i dislike reading and writing. I had a strong dislike of English class from elementary through high school and even in college.

creative, observant, art (visual), and making most anything from wood etc..

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not officially diagnosed but i may be dyslexia. I know i can not spell and i dislike reading and writing. I had a strong dislike of English class from elementary through high school and even in college.

creative, observant, art (visual), and making most anything from wood etc..

When I was a child and in pre-school they heavily tested me and came to the conclusion I had some unspecified language disorder and suspected autism (although for the latter they did not feel confident ruling either way) and one worker said the way my mind worked was bizarre. As a consequence I took a lot of special classes for grammar and whatnot. Even with that my level of vocabulary, grammar and ability to write and communicate is still sub-par. I'd be thrilled if I was at least just average on that level, lol.

As far as my talents go, I think I used to be quite creative. I used to develop my own distinctive art styles and when it came to writing stories and comics and forming my own opinions on things I always found it easy to form a distinctive voice. I think this is thanks due to my faults listed above. I have never really been able to think in logical terms. Such as from A to B to C. Instead I'd jump around from like A to C. My mind was more abstract and emotional. Sometimes it would lead to stupidity but other times it would lead to novel paths.

Although these past few years I've suffered through a lot of depression which has left me numb and hazy as a consequence I consider myself quite dull when it comes to creativity now. It's honestly pretty sad, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Compared to the average person?

What does that mean?

Everyone is good at something and not so good at other things.

Like, don't ask the plumber to put up some shelves

and don't ask the carpenter to fix your leaking waterpipe.

Though you may be thinking of other things.

Depends on how deep one wants to dig, would reckon.

By talent I mostly mean something that is innate. The average person could probably learn to become a competent plumber or carpenter if they applied themselves.

I made this thread because I have always been curious about the nature and flexibility of talent. How uniform or specific is it? If a person is good at A would it follow they'll probably be good at B if they pursue it? A while ago I watched an interview conducted by Stefan Molyneux where he interviews a woman about IQ. She stated that her research indicated that someone who is gifted intellectually will have skills that pan out roughly equally to all intellectual pursuits. For example if someone is good at chemistry it reasons to be they will also be equally good at physics. That multiple intelligences are not really a reality. (although I'm more in the middle of the road regarding that debate).

So I made this thread to see if any odd mismatches are given. Especially as someone born with intellectual disabilities. I was tested low in writing and grammar, yet I also also tested above average in reading ability and comprehension. My mind is better at inputting than outputting when it comes to words.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
When I was a child and in pre-school they heavily tested me and came to the conclusion I had some unspecified language disorder and suspected autism (although for the latter they did not feel confident ruling either way) and one worker said the way my mind worked was bizarre. As a consequence I took a lot of special classes for grammar and whatnot. Even with that my level of vocabulary, grammar and ability to write and communicate is still sub-par. I'd be thrilled if I was at least just average on that level, lol.

As far as my talents go, I think I used to be quite creative. I used to develop my own distinctive art styles and when it came to writing stories and comics and forming my own opinions on things I always found it easy to form a distinctive voice. I think this is thanks due to my faults listed above. I have never really been able to think in logical terms. Such as from A to B to C. Instead I'd jump around from like A to C. My mind was more abstract and emotional. Sometimes it would lead to stupidity but other times it would lead to novel paths.

Although these past few years I've suffered through a lot of depression which has left me numb and hazy as a consequence I consider myself quite dull when it comes to creativity now. It's honestly pretty sad, lol.

I was in, at school a program call apsl (not sure what that meant) but i was too early (1970's to 1980's) in school for testing in my area a small town.

I know, i many times communicate poorly with writing. What sounds right to me must be a jumbled mess to people trying to make out what i am saying. So i try and do best, communicating in short writings. English is and will always be just a mystery to me

I remember seeing on a post you made sometime ago, you drew on youdraw at one time. I am guessing that was during your jr high or highschool days.

i basically read to learn or find out about something never read for pleasure.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was reminded today of a talent, i have. I seem to always be able to get in line (either at a store, bank, etcc.) behind the person who will always have problems with what ever they are doing (buying, bank business, etc,,) and it always takes a long time just waiting on them to get their business straight.

I also had back in college a talent for tying the cherry stem into a knot. I did not drink but when we would go out on Thursdays night to the dance bar. Girls would give me the cherry stem from their drink to tie into a knot (about 30+ years ago time flies)

• Haha
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was in, at school a program call apsl (not sure what that meant) but i was too early (1970's to 1980's) in school for testing in my area a small town.

Hmm.. never heard of APSL. As for me I was just in a room alone with a woman who would give me special tutor lessons for grammar. I remember one day saying I didn't want to attend anymore and she was like alright and that was that. Not sure why I requested such a thing.. all I really remember was haivng an excuse to leave regular class and go somewhere where there was always a bowl of candy for me to eat.. lol. Maybe I started finding it embarrassing? .. honestly I really don't remember.

I know, i many times communicate poorly with writing. What sounds right to me must be a jumbled mess to people trying to make out what i am saying. So i try and do best, communicating in short writings. English is and will always be just a mystery to me

I get that. My language abilities goes up and down (99% of the time at least sub-par). There are a few rare moments where I am able to spit out complex sentences very easily.. and other times where I feel like I'm trying to communicate with a mouth stuffed with marshmallows.

I always wish I had an official diagnosis for my problem. They spent a lot of time analyzing me as a toddler and kid and couldn't work out what was wrong with me. They just gave me an unspecified language disorder diagnosis so the school would have a reason to give me extra help. Even to this day I do not really know what is wrong with me. In computer terms, I think some of my coding is faulty in an otherwise normal system.

I remember seeing on a post you made sometime ago, you drew on youdraw at one time. I am guessing that was during your jr high or highschool days.

Ha ha, wow that was a while back. Yeah I used to post on Youdraw (found it amusing when "You"tube became a thing). That was back when I was in at least middle school. I am not sure if the website even exists anymore. My drawings on there minus expressions are quite bad. You're talking about an early 2000s website drawing with a mouse. Especially at that time being a lefty and being trained to use a mouse with my right hand. Still I thought it was a cool way to share art work at the time.

i basically read to learn or find out about something never read for pleasure.

Hmm.. I have no problems with reading yet I still do not read books for recreation. The only reading I do is random articles and Wikipedia on the internet. Doubt I'd ever read a fiction book for fun unless I was incarcerated in prison or something.. lol.

Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hmm.. never heard of APSL. As for me I was just in a room alone with a woman who would give me special tutor lessons for grammar. I remember one day saying I didn't want to attend anymore and she was like alright and that was that. Not sure why I requested such a thing.. all I really remember was haivng an excuse to leave regular class and go somewhere where there was always a bowl of candy for me to eat.. lol. Maybe I started finding it embarrassing? .. honestly I really don't remember.

I get that. My language abilities goes up and down (99% of the time at least sub-par). There are a few rare moments where I am able to spit out complex sentences very easily.. and other times where I feel like I'm trying to communicate with a mouth stuffed with marshmallows.

I always wish I had an official diagnosis for my problem. They spent a lot of time analyzing me as a toddler and kid and couldn't work out what was wrong with me. They just gave me an unspecified language disorder diagnosis so the school would have a reason to give me extra help. Even to this day I do not really know what is wrong with me. In computer terms, I think some of my coding is faulty in an otherwise normal system.

Ha ha, wow that was a while back. Yeah I used to post on Youdraw (found it amusing when "You"tube became a thing). That was back when I was in at least middle school. I am not sure if the website even exists anymore. My drawings on there minus expressions are quite bad. You're talking about an early 2000s website drawing with a mouse. Especially at that time being a lefty and being trained to use a mouse with my right hand. Still I thought it was a cool way to share art work at the time.

Hmm.. I have no problems with reading yet I still do not read books for recreation. The only reading I do is random articles and Wikipedia on the internet. Doubt I'd ever read a fiction book for fun unless I was incarcerated in prison or something.. lol.

APSL more than likely was no longer used by the time you were in school being that that was the 70's when i was in the program. I can not remember when or why i stopped, if it was not doing me any good, i could see my dad stopping it.

I type in APSL in search and this came up.

III; Mississippi
files.eric.ed.gov › fulltext

PDF
Table 9 Reading Levels-APSL & Co-ordinating Readers. Table 10 pnc ... were helped by psychiatric treatment enabling themto improve their reading levels.

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED060166.pdf

Youdraw is still around and actually for a while people were not able to draw there for some technical reason. But that has been worked out now the draw pad is working. Just not sure if it will attract people like it did back in 2000.

There was quite a lot of drama there at times.

I remember, back in the 1970's i would buy tons of comic books superman, batman, hulk, spiderman etc.. But i never read them, i always just drew the super heroes and other characters. I guess they were my first art instruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
By talent I mostly mean something that is innate. The average person could probably learn to become a competent plumber or carpenter if they applied themselves.

I made this thread because I have always been curious about the nature and flexibility of talent. How uniform or specific is it? If a person is good at A would it follow they'll probably be good at B if they pursue it? A while ago I watched an interview conducted by Stefan Molyneux where he interviews a woman about IQ. She stated that her research indicated that someone who is gifted intellectually will have skills that pan out roughly equally to all intellectual pursuits. For example if someone is good at chemistry it reasons to be they will also be equally good at physics. That multiple intelligences are not really a reality. (although I'm more in the middle of the road regarding that debate).

So I made this thread to see if any odd mismatches are given. Especially as someone born with intellectual disabilities. I was tested low in writing and grammar, yet I also also tested above average in reading ability and comprehension. My mind is better at inputting than outputting when it comes to words.

Well, I don,t know, :).

But we all have a purpose in this world,

I thought school was so unintresting, the teachers did not make it intresting either, for me it was a matter of,

lay low and keep your head down, there will come a day when it will be over, and that day came.

I spent most of the time looking out the window and dreaming of the sea, that was my dream as soon as I got out of that school.

Yet, I came first in woodwork and art, won prizes too.

These things were my three wishes and all three have been fulfilled.

I would reckon they can be counted as talents, they required no effort for my part.

I would think if a person wants to be happy and content,
they should work with something they are good at.

Though I do not know but I think that some or many seek something that is not for them, and it does not always end up so well.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Robban, articulated my thoughts perfectly.

I would think if a person wants to be happy and content, they should work with something they are good at.

Though I do not know but I think that some or many seek something that is not for them, and it does not always end up so well.

I believe in playing to my strengths. I amplify the areas I'm gifted in. I don't need to improve everything. I form alignments with others who excel where I'm lacking. We help each other.

I practice lifestyle design. ROI is a big aspect. I focus on things that provide the biggest return. While I'm not super patient. I'm immensely patient about my goals.

If I don't a possess a natural or spiritual talent about an interest; I give it little to no attention. I'll never be great. That's what drives me. Swimming upstream is wasteful in my opinion.

Many people spend their lives trying to be something they're not. If they'd face the music they'd enjoy it.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don,t know, :).

But we all have a purpose in this world,

I agree. Talented or not, people can still be productive members of society.

I thought school was so unintresting, the teachers did not make it intresting either, for me it was a matter of,

I thought school was mostly uninteresting as well. Although growing up and understanding other parts of the country the public school system here seem to be much better than elsewhere. I've heard Minnesota public schools are more akin to private schools in other states like California. Not sure how true it is, although I do know Minnesota testing scores and average IQ are among the top in the country.

Over the years I've developed a more kind and grateful attitude to my former teachers. Most seemed passionate about their jobs and cared about our well being. The negative sentiments echoed by others might be more warranted than mine.

I have had and still do have a bad habit of only learning things that directly interest me. The problem being that the things that do not interest you are also important in the education process and will often elevate you to learn other things that do interest you.

Yet, I came first in woodwork and art, won prizes too.

That is nice to hear.

I would think if a person wants to be happy and content,
they should work with something they are good at.

Depends what you mean by this..

Pursuing what you are good at will also depend on whether or not it generates a respectable and dependable income source, especially if other people are depending on you to provide for them. There is nothing wrong with this, and is simply part of being an adult.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree. Talented or not, people can still be productive members of society.

I thought school was mostly uninteresting as well. Although growing up and understanding other parts of the country the public school system here seem to be much better than elsewhere. I've heard Minnesota public schools are more akin to private schools in other states like California. Not sure how true it is, although I do know Minnesota testing scores and average IQ are among the top in the country.

Over the years I've developed a more kind and grateful attitude to my former teachers. Most seemed passionate about their jobs and cared about our well being. The negative sentiments echoed by others might be more warranted than mine.

I have had and still do have a bad habit of only learning things that directly interest me. The problem being that the things that do not interest you are also important in the education process and will often elevate you to learn other things that do interest you.

That is nice to hear.

Depends what you mean by this..

Pursuing what you are good at will also depend on whether or not it generates a respectable and dependable income source, especially if other people are depending on you to provide for them. There is nothing wrong with this, and is simply part of being an adult.

Money cannot buy peace of mind and harmony.

Though money is important.

There are hidden talents that some or many are not aware of.
They can be a blessing to others without them giving it a second thought.

There once was an elderly woman,
everyday she would walk down a path with two buckets
to fetch water.

When she returned home she always had only one full bucket,
the other was almost empty, this happened daily.

When talking with a neighbor she lamented over her leaky bucket.

The neighbor asked her if she had noticed all the wonderful flowers along the path.

"Yes" she replied, she had noticed but how did that solve her leaky bucket.

The neighbor told her it was because of her leaky bucket
that made it possible for the flowers to grow there and brighten up for passersby.

Without being aware she had watered the flowers on her way back with her leaky bucket.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Money cannot buy peace of mind and harmony.

Though money is important.

Honestly I am not sure how much I agree with that, especially when it comes to men. I have read that a person needs to make at least 70k a year to feel content and happy and anything above that does not add much in the way of happiness and contentment.

There are hidden talents that some or many are not aware of.
They can be a blessing to others without them giving it a second thought.

There once was an elderly woman,
everyday she would walk down a path with two buckets
to fetch water.

When she returned home she always had only one full bucket,
the other was almost empty, this happened daily.

When talking with a neighbor she lamented over her leaky bucket.

The neighbor asked her if she had noticed all the wonderful flowers along the path.

"Yes" she replied, she had noticed but how did that solve her leaky bucket.

The neighbor told her it was because of her leaky bucket
that made it possible for the flowers to grow there and brighten up for passersby.

Without being aware she had watered the flowers on her way back with her leaky bucket.

Yeah, I've already touched on that earlier in my thread. Sometimes things that are a defect in one area can be a positive quality in another.

Upvote 0