Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
(I am no way employed or have ever been employed by Westminster Bookstore I just wanted to bring this to your attention.)

Westminster is having a sale on systematic theologies! You can never have enough books IMO.

I own and recommend the following:

The Wonderful Works of God by Bavinck
Systematic Theology by Letham
Reformed Dogmatics (single vol) by Vos
Reformed Dogmatics (4 vol) by Bavinck
Institutes of the Christian Religion by Calvin (single and two vol edition, I recommend the single vol - great translation and more economical)
Systematic Theology by Culver

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(I am no way employed or have ever been employed by Westminster Bookstore I just wanted to bring this to your attention.)

Westminster is having a sale on systematic theologies! You can never have enough books IMO.

I own and recommend the following:

The Wonderful Works of God by Bavinck
Systematic Theology by Letham
Reformed Dogmatics (single vol) by Vos
Reformed Dogmatics (4 vol) by Bavinck
Institutes of the Christian Religion by Calvin (single and two vol edition, I recommend the single vol - great translation and more economical)
Systematic Theology by Culver

Yours in the Lord,

jm

On Calvin's institutes, are you recommending the Beveridge translation then for best readability?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
On Calvin's institutes, are you recommending the Beveridge translation then for best readability?
Yes, for many reasons.

From one of the Amazon reviews:

"1. Here's what Reformed Christian scholar and theological philosopher Paul Helm (who himself has studied and contributed several works on John Calvin) says:

"Incidentally, if you have the need of a translation of the Institutes, then the reissue of the Beveridge translation (newly published by Hendrickson) may be just the thing. It has new indexes, and has been 'gently edited', which means, I hope, only the removal of typos and other detritus. (I have not yet had the chance to check). Beveridge is superior to Battles in sticking closer to the original Latin, and having less intrusive editorial paraphernalia."

2. Here's another Calvin scholar, Richard A. Muller, on the two translations (from the preface of The Unaccommodated Calvin):

"I have also consulted the older translations of the Institutes, namely those of Norton, Allen and Beveridge, in view of both the accuracy of those translation and the relationship in which they stand to the older or 'precritical' text tradition of Calvin's original. Both in its apparatus and in its editorial approach to the text, the McNeill-Battles translation suffers from the mentality of the text-critic who hides the original ambience of the text even as he attempts to reveal all its secrets to the modern reader."

3. The following is from J.I. Packer in the foreword to A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes:

"No English translation fully matches Calvin's Latin; that of the Elizabethan, Thomas Norton, perhaps gets closest; Beveridge gives us Calvin's feistiness but not always his precision; Battles gives us the precision but not always the punchiness, and fleetness of foot; Allen is smooth and clear, but low-key."

4. Finally, the following is from David Calhoun:

"Let me just say a few words about English translations. The first was Thomas Norton back in the sixteenth century. Calvin was very fortunate with his first English translator. Norton did an exceptionally good job. Very soon after the completion of the Institutes in 1559, which was written in Latin, it was translated by Calvin into French and then quite soon into English. John Allen was the second translator. John Allen and Henry Beveridge were both nineteenth-century translators. The Beveridge translation is still in print. It was until fairly recently anyway. Those are not bad but not very good either. Ford Lewis Battles' 1960 translation is the one that we are using. Even though it has been criticized some, it is by far the most superior translation that we have at present."

I cannot say if the quotations are indeed confirmed to be accurate and true, but they are interesting. I recommend both translations, both have different but good qualities. I also recommend books that can help with understanding and reading Calvin's Institutes such as "Analysis of the Institutes of the Christian Religion" by Ford Lewis Battles. [end quote]

The two volume costs more and the notes and language apparatus is very helpful but if you just want to read Calvin and experience his personality as well as his theology I recommend the single volume.

But I have both, so....lol

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, for many reasons.

From one of the Amazon reviews:

"1. Here's what Reformed Christian scholar and theological philosopher Paul Helm (who himself has studied and contributed several works on John Calvin) says:

"Incidentally, if you have the need of a translation of the Institutes, then the reissue of the Beveridge translation (newly published by Hendrickson) may be just the thing. It has new indexes, and has been 'gently edited', which means, I hope, only the removal of typos and other detritus. (I have not yet had the chance to check). Beveridge is superior to Battles in sticking closer to the original Latin, and having less intrusive editorial paraphernalia."

2. Here's another Calvin scholar, Richard A. Muller, on the two translations (from the preface of The Unaccommodated Calvin):

"I have also consulted the older translations of the Institutes, namely those of Norton, Allen and Beveridge, in view of both the accuracy of those translation and the relationship in which they stand to the older or 'precritical' text tradition of Calvin's original. Both in its apparatus and in its editorial approach to the text, the McNeill-Battles translation suffers from the mentality of the text-critic who hides the original ambience of the text even as he attempts to reveal all its secrets to the modern reader."

3. The following is from J.I. Packer in the foreword to A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes:

"No English translation fully matches Calvin's Latin; that of the Elizabethan, Thomas Norton, perhaps gets closest; Beveridge gives us Calvin's feistiness but not always his precision; Battles gives us the precision but not always the punchiness, and fleetness of foot; Allen is smooth and clear, but low-key."

4. Finally, the following is from David Calhoun:

"Let me just say a few words about English translations. The first was Thomas Norton back in the sixteenth century. Calvin was very fortunate with his first English translator. Norton did an exceptionally good job. Very soon after the completion of the Institutes in 1559, which was written in Latin, it was translated by Calvin into French and then quite soon into English. John Allen was the second translator. John Allen and Henry Beveridge were both nineteenth-century translators. The Beveridge translation is still in print. It was until fairly recently anyway. Those are not bad but not very good either. Ford Lewis Battles' 1960 translation is the one that we are using. Even though it has been criticized some, it is by far the most superior translation that we have at present."

I cannot say if the quotations are indeed confirmed to be accurate and true, but they are interesting. I recommend both translations, both have different but good qualities. I also recommend books that can help with understanding and reading Calvin's Institutes such as "Analysis of the Institutes of the Christian Religion" by Ford Lewis Battles. [end quote]

The two volume costs more and the notes and language apparatus is very helpful but if you just want to read Calvin and experience his personality as well as his theology I recommend the single volume.

But I have both, so....lol

Yours in the Lord,

jm

My husband at one point in time in his life had the institutes in hardcover but doesn't any longer. He has it now in digital along with a digital Bible and a couple other works, which he once copied over for me on a flash but now I can't find it after two moves...

My preference is hard copy anyway, there's just something about curling up with a book and reading that a Kindle etc just don't do.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0