Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What Refugees Think

CPk-LumUEAAiDq6.jpg

....yet Assad is the lesser of two evils?

This source is from one man who is a clothes seller in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Observatory_for_Human_Rights

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It's really tragic what's going on in there, but honestly, how many good political options there are to actually do something for Western nations?

Coordinate air support with Russia, which unlike any Western country, actually has permission to be there, or just stay out of it completely.

Reactions: interpreter
Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I read it in a german magazine a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if I can find it as an english web link, but I have little problem believing it.

In other words, it appears to be just pure speculation that is contradictory to reality (that the rebels and ISIS have been fighting against each other long before the West got involved).

This source is from one man who is a clothes seller in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Observatory_for_Human_Rights

1.) It's Syrian Network for Human Rights that was the source. Syrian Observatory is a different group.

2.) Even if that one man was the source, what of it? If he has sources on the ground, who cares if he is one man from the UK who sells clothes?

Coordinate air support with Russia, which unlike any Western country, actually has permission to be there, or just stay out of it completely.

Because clearly the US would want to coordinate air support with Russia and help ISIS gain ground (against rebels who are fighting against ISIS AND the regime). With all my anger at the US government for targeting groups besides ISIS, at least the US actually does try to hurt ISIS unlike Russia/Assad who often avoid targeting it.

Last June, the U.S. embassy in Damascus accused Bashar al-Assad’s air force of clearing a path for an ISIS advance on Syrian rebels in the Aleppo town of Azaz. “Reports indicate that the regime is making air strikes in support of [ISIS’s] advance on Aleppo, aiding extremists against Syrian population,” the embassy account tweeted, following up with a broader accusation: “We have long seen that the regime avoids [ISIS] lines, in complete contradiction to the regime’s claims to be fighting [ISIS].”

"John Schindler, a former U.S. intelligence analyst and occasional Daily Beast contributor," said, "Joint operations with ISIS are to be expected, some with intent, some by default, and should not surprise given the extent of regime intelligence penetration of [ISIS].”

Russia’s Giving ISIS An Air Force

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
(against rebels who are fighting against ISIS AND the regime)

Not possible. Attacking one objectively helps the other. If they were really interested in fighting ISIS they would come to an agreement with the government. Instead they talk about committing terrorist acts against Russia to punish them for their intervention. Ask the Chechens how well that works.

With all my anger at the US government for targeting groups besides ISIS, at least the US actually does try to hurt ISIS unlike Russia/Assad who often avoid targeting it.

Try? Trying and a $5 bill will get you a latte at Starbuck's. The US has been lobbing bombs for over a year with no real results, because air power is only effective militarily when it is coordinated with troops on the ground. Russia's airstrikes are coordinated with the Syrian army, which is why they are effective.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Not possible. Attacking one objectively helps the other.

In that case, someone really should tell Russia that they're not objectively helping Assad and are, in fact, harming the regime. Russia’s Giving ISIS An Air Force Oh, wait. Assad does the same thing. And they're not really harming the regime by helping ISIS (or avoiding hitting ISIS).

If they were really interested in fighting ISIS they would come to an agreement with the government. Instead they talk about committing terrorist acts against Russia to punish them for their intervention. Ask the Chechens how well that works.

And why would they come to an agreement with the regime that kills the most civilians in Syria? They are interested in fighting both ISIS and the regime which is exactly what they've been doing since the end of 2013.

Try? Trying and a $5 bill will get you a latte at Starbuck's. The US has been lobbing bombs for over a year with no real results, because air power is only effective militarily when it is coordinated with troops on the ground. Russia's airstrikes are coordinated with the Syrian army, which is why they are effective.

So effective that they hit ISIS territory less than 20% of the time and manage to help ISIS gain land. What a competent group!

I'm sure that it only appears to be speculation to you.

I'm pretty sure saying that "ISIS and the rebels" can form alliances in the future is precisely what speculation is. It is unfounded speculation since it runs contrary to the reality on the ground since late 2013.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I don't blame them. Things are really confused over there, and they are fighting for their lives.

Also, I'm sure that there are rebels who wouldn't think of joining forces with ISIS.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And why would they come to an agreement with the regime that kills the most civilians in Syria?

To fight ISIS, obviously.

They are interested in fighting both ISIS and the regime which is exactly what they've been doing since the end of 2013.

Which first?

So effective that they hit ISIS territory less than 20% of the time and manage to help ISIS gain land. What a competent group!

ISIS is not the only danger to Syria's stability. As I've pointed out, it's the most immediate danger either. Russian military doctrine hold that it's not how much land you hold that matters, but how many of the enemy you kill.

As far as to your other points, I'll let time settle those. The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
To fight ISIS, obviously.

So they'd come to an agreement with the regime that has killed almost 200k civilians to fight against another group that has killed almost 3k civilians in Syria. That's an utterly preposterous proposal. The US train-and-equip plan wasn't very successful because, on top of the already restricted list of acceptable rebels, there was a clause saying they would only fight against ISIS and not the regime. There is no planet on which even a fraction of the rebels would agree to such a condition.

Which first?

Obviously the regime as it was and still is the cause of the most destruction in Syria.

ISIS is not the only danger to Syria's stability. As I've pointed out, it's the most immediate danger either. Russian military doctrine hold that it's not how much land you hold that matters, but how many of the enemy you kill.

The primary and most immediate danger is the regime and allies (including Russia itself).

34hi9og.png

Source

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So they'd come to an agreement with the regime that has killed almost 200k civilians to fight against another group that has killed almost 3k civilians in Syria. That's an utterly preposterous proposal.

If bullets and bombs are the only language they will listen to, that obviously that is how they need to be spoken to.

Obviously the regime as it was and still is the cause of the most destruction in Syria.

...and this is why Russia makes no distinction between the FSA and ISIS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
And so the misery continues for Syrians. Their country is going to be further bombed some more supposedly against ISIS by the UK now (though if it'll be anything like Russia, it'll be mainly targeting others besides ISIS, mainly civilians and the rebels who are the most effective against Assad). When they try to flee their country (already devastated by the bigger problem (Assad)) perhaps due to these airstrikes, they won't be welcomed by many Europeans/Americans (particularly the policymakers).

Apparently David Cameron called people who were voting against bombing Syria a bunch of terrorist sympathizers. He was repeatedly called on to apologize and, well, you can see the results here:

Illuminated by the lights of Westminster’s Christmas tree and dozens of cameras, chants of “Shame on you” went up among the few thousand anti-war protesters as news of the result inside spread around those gathered in Parliament Square. Others wept as a light drizzle began to come down almost at the same time.

Syria airstrikes: anti-war protesters cry ‘shame’ as MPs back bombing

I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like for Syrians.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Brandon, Humans of New York's founder, gives an emotional interview:

Here is one of the interviews by HONY of some of the refugees approved for entry into the US:

"(2/4) “When I was in second grade, our school got attacked by a bomb. It was a barrel full of explosions. We were just opening our books to start the class and it’s hard to describe the sound but it was like a building coming apart. I ran to the other class to find my brother and he was crying because of the sound. Our bus left so we didn’t know what to do. But my brother is so smart. He ran to the market and called our grandma.”

(Istanbul, Turkey)"

11224619_1141993145874784_5725067476135768264_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
"Russian air raids killed dozens of people in northwestern Syria on Sunday, activists and residents said...."

"....“The courthouse was full of civilians,” Abdurrahman said. “The Russians have been hitting everything, killing civilians and striking whatever they want.”...."

"...Humanitarian groups and residents in opposition-held areas say that the Russian attacks have worsened Syria’s humanitarian crisis dramatically, hitting hospitals and destroying aid-supply routes. The surge of fighting since the Russian intervention has displaced an additional quarter-million people, U.N. workers say."

Russian airstrikes in Syria blamed for scores of civilian deaths

"...and your Lord is never forgetful..."
(Surah Maryam 19:64)

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Human Rights Watch report released yesterday:

“Syria’s promises on indiscriminate weapons ring hollow when cluster munitions keep hitting civilians in many parts of the country,” said Ole Solvang, deputy emergencies director. “The UN Security Council should get serious about its commitment to protect Syria’s civilians by publicly demanding that all sides stop the use of cluster munitions.”

Russia/Syria: Extensive Recent Use of Cluster Munitions - Indiscriminate Attacks Despite Syria’s Written Guarantees

This period of time is going to be such a stain on world history regarding Syria.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
"The Russian Defense Ministry has yet to claim responsibility for any civilian casualties and often denies striking in civilian-heavy locations which evidence suggests they have struck. But the claims of Russian collateral damage, Jarrah tells me, are “absolutely true. Russia is killing civilians and waging an information war. I want every single person on this planet to know that, whether they admit it or not.”"

What It’s Like to Have Russian Jets Bomb the Crap Out of Your Town

:(

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
"Madaya, a village of 40,000 that's been under siege since July by a combination of Syrian forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and his ally, the Lebanese militia Hezbollah...."

"As the siege grinds on, civilians are increasingly losing hope, and fear their plight will always be in the shadow of the war up north against the Islamic State. "Sure, people may read about us if you write something," Rajaai, the teacher, told VICE News. "But when they finish reading, they'll forget us."

'Children Are Eating Leaves Off The Trees': The Nightmare of The Siege of Madaya, Syria

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Stay classy, regime supporters (no excerpt necessary):

Madaya: Syrian regime supporters share food photos to taunt starving civilians trapped in town

Horrific images and stories of starving children have suddenly flooded the media as the reality of life in the town of Madaya in Syria, besieged by Syrian regime sources and Hezbollah, has surfaced.
Seeing the starving children of Madaya is shocking – but so is the world’s neglect

Though a wooded hill is nearby, snipers have a clear shot, and residents said more than a dozen people had been killed trying to retrieve firewood. They also said children had lost limbs trying to gather grass to eat from nearby fields.

“You don’t see a child whose eyes aren’t sunken and staring from hunger.”
Madaya: residents of besieged Syrian town say they are being starved to death

Upvote 0