Symbols of subtle satan

Can you take a pagan symbol and make it holy before God?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,393.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What specific symbols do you think are of pagan or diabolical origin?
And:

1. What makes them pagan ?

2. What prevents them being de-paganised ?

3. What makes some things of pagan origin - literacy, cities, the Greek language - fit for Christian use; and others of the same origin, not ?

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Deuteronomy 12:30) Take heed to yourself that you be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before you; and that you inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. [Do you think God approves if the church adopts pagan symbols and say they represent the church?]

The symbols themselves are nothing. Days of the week are pagan, owning a black cat is pagan, covering your mouth when you yawn is pagan. Things left over from pagan times saturate our lives, including yours.
Lucky for us pagans own none of it, God does. A pagan symbol is nothing and less than nothing. It only means something when you imbue it with meaning.
Read over 1 Corinthians 8.
What was important, wasn't avoiding food sacrificed to idols but rather your faith and how it relates to others.
4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.”
Establishes that the idol is nothing and that there is but one God.

7 But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled.
Due to the level of faith and maturity the person has within themselves, the idol and food sacrificed to it feels sinful. This is not based upon the idol itself since it is as meaningful as yesterdays tossed away banana peal. But until the person truly sees and feels this within themselves the idol continues to hold meaning to them. Even if this is sinful meaning. It would make them feel unclean.

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.
But if we are mature enough in faith so that we can eat such food without feeling sin or unclean or anything other than grateful for normal food, then what we need to be is careful that our faith is not a stumbling block to the person who is not so far along their walk with God.

11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.
This is what the mature Christian needs to be concerned about, not the idol or symbol itself but the weaker brother with him. It is causing someone else to fall that should occupy our thoughts. That is serious the symbol itself is not.

What God disproves of is idol worship and causing a weaker brother to stumble. But idol worship can be anything, it doesn't have to be a pagan symbol it could be money, it could be self it could be materialism.
I think it's too easy for a new Christian to focus on some pagan symbol like an Celtic Cross in a shop window while completely missing the fact that their own idol is the car sitting in their garage that they shine up daily.

Romans 14
I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.

For those who can eat or touch or use something with a clear conscious really for them it should be about being aware of how what they do affects a weaker brother or sister not about the symbol or idol itself.

A church should never use pagan symbols because the world is made up of non Christians and weak Christians and if a church uses them anyway there is the issue. We have become a stumbling block to the weak and are not acting in love.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The symbols themselves are nothing. Days of the week are pagan, owning a black cat is pagan, covering your mouth when you yawn is pagan. Things left over from pagan times saturate our lives, including yours.
Lucky for us pagans own none of it, God does. A pagan symbol is nothing and less than nothing. It only means something when you imbue it with meaning.
Read over 1 Corinthians 8.
What was important, wasn't avoiding food sacrificed to idols but rather your faith and how it relates to others.
4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.”
Establishes that the idol is nothing and that there is but one God.

7 But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled.
Due to the level of faith and maturity the person has within themselves, the idol and food sacrificed to it feels sinful. This is not based upon the idol itself since it is as meaningful as yesterdays tossed away banana peal. But until the person truly sees and feels this within themselves the idol continues to hold meaning to them. Even if this is sinful meaning. It would make them feel unclean.

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.
But if we are mature enough in faith so that we can eat such food without feeling sin or unclean or anything other than grateful for normal food, then what we need to be is careful that our faith is not a stumbling block to the person who is not so far along their walk with God.

11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.
This is what the mature Christian needs to be concerned about, not the idol or symbol itself but the weaker brother with him. It is causing someone else to fall that should occupy our thoughts. That is serious the symbol itself is not.

What God disproves of is idol worship and causing a weaker brother to stumble. But idol worship can be anything, it doesn't have to be a pagan symbol it could be money, it could be self it could be materialism.
I think it's too easy for a new Christian to focus on some pagan symbol like an Celtic Cross in a shop window while completely missing the fact that their own idol is the car sitting in their garage that they shine up daily.

Romans 14
I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.

For those who can eat or touch or use something with a clear conscious really for them it should be about being aware of how what they do affects a weaker brother or sister not about the symbol or idol itself.

A church should never use pagan symbols because the world is made up of non Christians and weak Christians and if a church uses them anyway there is the issue. We have become a stumbling block to the weak and are not acting in love.

Fortunately only Unitarian Universalist churches make frequent use of pagan symbols. I’ve never seen one in a traditional Christian church, whether Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant or Assyrian (gotta mention the Assyrians, every time, so that if we have any with us they can say Shlama)

• Informative
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0