revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
I am working on a project for school and I need people's opinions on Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophies. If you don't want to be quoted just say so but feel free to contribute to the discussion.

Please do not comment if you haven't read his works pertaining to a topic or atleast heard a professor speak on him. Don't feel obligated to talk about all of the subjects.
If you want to brush up on some of his ideas or get exact quotes, The Perspectives of Nietzsche is a great site.

The topics are...

Will to Power

Overman/Ubermensch

Morality

Christianity

Alright, thank you in advance for your input. Don't worry about keeping this thread on track so long as I can dig up the relevant posts. :)
PM me with any questions.

nimble

May 10, 2004
✟157.00
Faith
Atheist
he is a better philosopher than his predecessors. But the idea of a subjective morality is laughable. I am an atheist, and i KNOW that morality is objective. It is prescribed by nature, and it is in accordance with our nature as humans. Unless human nature changes, morality will remain objective. Other than that, I like much of his philosophies.

Upvote 0

Fiendishjester

Devil's advocate
Jun 28, 2003
in a field of pure consciousness
✟534.00
Faith
Hindu
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't mind Nietzsche at all. I think he was revolutionary in his time and set the stage for many philosophers that write today. I agree with some of his ideas and disagree with others. I, for one, don't necessarily believe that morals are objective, though I have a code of ethics which I will follow. But then again, I am not even sure about the parameters of human nature itself, because at this point, the position can be argued both ways quite convincingly.

Upvote 0

nimble

May 10, 2004
✟157.00
Faith
Atheist
if you are a christian you should have an objective morality. And if you are an atheist, you are dumb not to have an objective morality. Or else killing can be considered evil by some and not by others, which would result in the legalization of murder, by individuals. (government does not count since it is not an actual living being, so it has no morality, and it may objectively retaliate and kill criminals under certain circumstances)

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
If you know anyone else on the forums that is familiar with Nietzsche, please do ask them to come give input. I would like as a well rounded a group of opinions as possible.

Also extra cool points if anyone can find me the picture of Hitler looking at the bust of Nietzsche. I had seen it in several books but I am unable to find it on a GIS.

Upvote 0
Nietzsche was revolutionary for his time, but has become the symbol of pop-philosophy.
Nietzsche is the philosopher that everyone reads to make them feel smart, yet most misunderstand him completely. It's sad that such a great thinker gets abused by mediocre minds.

By the way: Nietzsche actually had no philosophies, because of a lack in etymology.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nietzsche -- Become the Overman: the most helpful philosophy I've ever come across, save perhaps Kierkegaard's discourse over the justification of man and his seemingly absurd actions viewed through propriety by his relation to the greater sphere than the ethical -- i.e. God.

However, the Will to Power as the natural and universal drive in man? Ehhh, I have to disagree.

So far as his view of Christianity, it obviously was in light of his understanding of man's natural drives, and his view that Christianity supresses these drives through the teachings of the New Testament. However, I believe he was doubly in error -- he misconceived Christendom for Christianity, and the greatest form of power is the willful resignation of power -- i.e. love. This is what Christianity teaches.

In regards to his views on morals, I think he was onto something. Morality is a relativistic mess, given the enormity of various cultures. Though he argued time and time again that the Overman was to channel his sufferings to power -- "what does not kill you only makes you stronger" --, and that the Overman was to go "beyond good and evil", I believe there is a difference between what is moral and what is just; in short, morality is justice plus specific beliefs. Nietzsche was -- so far as I understand him -- viewing particular beliefs rationally and rejected the question of good and evil from the understanding that what is considered evil for one may not be for another. Instead, he advocated good and bad. However, his very actions seem to imply a contradiction -- he was by all means an anti-anti-semite: from his words directly through a written letter he stated how all anti-semites should be shot. You decide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums