Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
momalle1 said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12056405/

Good thing this girl didn't live in South Dakota.

I doubt it would be considered an abortion even in South Dakota ... it's a rare condition that occurs every now and then when multiples don't separate correctly.. kind of conjoined twins gone even more haywire.

Upvote 0

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Janissary said:
Uh-huh, claiming that pro-lifers in general wouldn't approve of that operation is like claiming that pro-choicers in general want unrestricted partial-birth abortion. That is, totally ludicrous, and only of propaganda value to the opposite camp.

I don't believe there is anyone that wouldn't approve of this, including pro-lifers. Pro-lifers should consider being over-zealous when approving legislation, technically this is an abortion, and would be illegal. Many won't consider an exception if the mother's life is in danger, and thus support no exceptions. Make all the excuses you want, but it doesn't change anything.

Upvote 0

thatgirliknew

Senior Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Louisville, KY
✟12,889.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
momalle1 said:
Whatever, don't want to face reality, then don't. Fact is, many of the states considering banning abortions are offering zero exceptions, removing a fetus is an abortion, plain and simple.

Actually, I was under the impression that they were offering an exception, one in which the life of the woman was in danger.

Upvote 0

Futuwwa

Feb 8, 2006
✟5,284.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Well, in this case, clearly, there's no way the body of a two months old kid will be able to provide life support for twins growing inside her. At the latest, the delivery would kill all of them. To think any pro-lifer would disapprove of an "abortion" in this case would be to assume total irrationality from the pro-lifers.

I wonder what the recent pope would think of this. After all, his stance on abortion was more no-no than anyone elses, including those of theocratic Islamic rulers around the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thatgirliknew said:
Actually, I was under the impression that they were offering an exception, one in which the life of the woman was in danger.

As I understand the point, it has nothing to do with whether pro-life people consider this a valid exception but the way the law is written. Based on my understanding of the law passed in South Dakota, removing this fetus would be considered an illegal abortion. I believe the point was not to claim pro-lifers are evil but rather we need to be more careful about the legislation we pass.

Upvote 0

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SimplyMe said:
As I understand the point, it has nothing to do with whether pro-life people consider this a valid exception but the way the law is written. Based on my understanding of the law passed in South Dakota, removing this fetus would be considered an illegal abortion. I believe the point was not to claim pro-lifers are evil but rather we need to be more careful about the legislation we pass.

Exactly. No exceptions means no exceptions, laws should be written well enough so that they don't have to be rewritten. A total exception law requires judges to make moral decisions, making them activists. A judge should be upholding the law, not making moral decisions.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
wanderingone said:
I doubt it would be considered an abortion even in South Dakota ... it's a rare condition that occurs every now and then when multiples don't separate correctly.. kind of conjoined twins gone even more haywire.
It's still murder, though.

Aren't pro-lifers committed to the position that the girl should have been used as a container for the two fetii? After all, they had to sacrifice two human beings to save one. What makes the two-year old so special that two innocent souls would have to be shuffled off this mortal coil?

Upvote 0

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kelly said:
Anybody read that on yahoo news? They were dead at 4 months. So the abortion debate is kind of moot.

I read it, don't bother to consider if they had discovered the fetuses before they died or anything. The fact that they were dead has no bearing on the discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pentecostal Boy said:
actually it does.

Simplyme stated it best, and this case only illustrates a possibility no one thought of, how many more are there? I guess if you can't see the issue created here, that there was a time the fetuses were alive, and had they been discovered they still would have been removed, then I guess we are best served by simple minded legislation. Does it actually have to happen before you legislate properly?

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
momalle1 said:
Whatever, don't want to face reality, then don't. Fact is, many of the states considering banning abortions are offering zero exceptions, removing a fetus is an abortion, plain and simple.

Umm They were ALREADY DEAD. Did you read the news article ?

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
momalle1 said:
I read it, don't bother to consider if they had discovered the fetuses before they died or anything. The fact that they were dead has no bearing on the discussion.

The baby was 2 months old, they said the fetuses died at 4 months, this had to be discovered through ultrasound or something.

Upvote 0