Texas woman, 35, forced to carry unviable fetus suffers life-threatening infection because state refused to give her an abortion. Another one.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Texas woman denied abortion, forced to keep unviable fetus nearly dies

A Texas woman nearly died due a severe bacterial infection because doctors were legally barred from performing an abortion even though the fetus would not survive.

Amanda Zurawski and her husband Josh, both 35 and living in Austin, were overjoyed when they found out they were expecting a baby after over a year of fertility treatments.
Everything changed when Amanda entered the 18th week of her pregnancy. One October day she suddenly experienced abnormal discharge and 'what felt like water running down my leg.'
This is unacceptable.

Last edited:

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A good example of how a reporter can take a position then write a story using just the facts that support that position and none of the facts that explain why the doctors waited.
No, it's right there in the story:

In Texas, abortion is illegal unless the pregnant person is facing 'a life-threatening physical condition aggravated by, caused by, or arising from a pregnancy.'

Her life in that moment was not in immediate jeopardy and thus the doctors' hands were tied.

She had to carry a nonviable fetus until she became sick enough to treat.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Non-viability of the fetus should be a valid reason for abortion.

There is still the related problem of medical treatment for the woman that may adversely affect the fetus such as chemotherapy for cancer. Should the doctors wait until the cancer advances sufficiently to be critical or should they be allowed to treat it when the patient has the best chance of complete recovery? Some women would prefer to wait while others would prefer to live. Should politicians have the most/any say in this decision?

Upvote 0