Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Which, again, is why the baker was found in violation of Colorado's Civil Rights Accommodation Law, he refused to sell this couple an item (wedding cake) that he routinely sold to others in the operation of his business, based on the couple's sexual orientation.

I don't think he cared what their sexual orientation was. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been willing to sell them anything else in the store. But he did--and they became verbally abusive and walked out.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But that's not the deal here. He refused to sell it for the purpose of a gay wedding. This guy might have refused to sell it to a straight person who came in to buy it for the same purpose. It's not usually the bride and groom that walk into a bake shop to buy the cake anyway, is it? Doesn't a caterer usually do that service?

...and that point strikes at the very heart of this case. As Hanna pointed out in post #353, there are some products that this vendor simply doesn't produce. It's not unlike a guy walking into a McDonalds and demanding that they sell him a raspberry quiche with a lemon twist. When they say we don't have that; he demands that they make him one; or he'll sue them because of his sexual preferences.

• Agree
Reactions: Auriga
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You don't sell wedding cakes, you make wedding cakes custom per the event. He has the right to decline providing his specialized services for any reason, be it lack of time, lack of desire to participate in said event or any other reason.

Except it's not. It's about the customization of the cake. He offered them off the self goods.

Go back and read the facts of the case, this isn't about a customized cake. The couple wanted a cake to celebrate their wedding and were looking at his catalog of wedding cakes, that he offers, and, when he found out it was for them, he refused. He would not sell them any cake, including those that were currently on his shelves at the time, for their wedding.

This is the reason the bakery was found in violation in the first place -- he did not even talk to them about the design or if they wanted a standard, off the shelf, cake; instead he immediately told them he wouldn't sell them any cake and asked them to leave. If they had wanted a custom design, then the judge actually said he would have ruled in the bakery's favor.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
...and that point strikes at the very heart of this case. As Hanna pointed out in post #353, there are some products that this vendor simply doesn't produce. It's not unlike a guy walking into a McDonalds and demanding that they sell him a raspberry quiche with a lemon twist. When they say we don't have that; he demands that they make him one; or he'll sue them because of his sexual preferences.

Tell me, exactly what is the difference between a "gay wedding cake" and any other wedding cake? Is it like kosher laws?

The fact here is that there is no difference. As I keep pointing out (such as in the above post) they merely informed the bakery they wanted a cake for their wedding -- the person behind the counter realized it was for them and refused to sell them any cake, without even asking if they wanted a custom design or something the baker doesn't sell.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is the reason the bakery was found in violation in the first place -- he did not even talk to them about the design or if they wanted a standard, off the shelf, cake; instead he immediately told them he wouldn't sell them any cake and asked them to leave. If they had wanted a custom design, then the judge actually said he would have ruled in the bakery's favor.

That's not what I read in the article about what happened:

"Craig says Phillips “started to explain he had gay friends. And he would sell us cookies or cupcakes. But we left.”

Phillips recalls their anger. “They swore at me, flipped me off and stormed out,” he said."

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
That's not what I read in the article about what happened:

"Craig says Phillips “started to explain he had gay friends. And he would sell us cookies or cupcakes. But we left.”

Phillips recalls their anger. “They swore at me, flipped me off and stormed out,” he said."

Cookies and cupcakes are not a cake; and not selling all goods that are offered to the public because of a person's protected class is discrimination and against Civil Rights accommodation laws. He refused to sell them any cake for their wedding, including ones he had on his shelves -- go back and read they original judge's decision, it spells it out clearly.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Cookies and cupcakes are not a cake; and not selling all goods that are offered to the public because of a person's protected class is discrimination and against Civil Rights accommodation laws. He refused to sell them any cake for their wedding, including ones he had on his shelves -- go back and read they original judge's decision, it spells it out clearly.

I wasn't talking about the judge's decision. I was referring to what actually happened in the bakery and what was said there.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Except it's not. It's about the customization of the cake. He offered them off the self goods.

He offered to sell them anything other then a wedding cake. The courts gave ruled consistently that a customized cake would be free speech and protected. A standard cake that is listed in his book of offerings (which is what they wished to buy) is not a custom cake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He offered to sell them anything other then a wedding cake. The courts gave ruled consistently that a customized cake would be free speech and protected. A standard cake that is listed in his book of offerings (which is what they wished to buy) is not a custom cake.

Was it already made?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

This vendor produces wedding cakes. There is no difference between this cake and the other cakes sold by the shop. The only difference was the sexuality of the customer.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't talking about the judge's decision. I was referring to what actually happened in the bakery and what was said there.

I was referring to both. The baker refused to sell them a cake, period; cupcakes and cookies are not a cake. Second, the law requires that the bakery sell any item they offer to the general public -- the bakery did not (including the snippet you mention) and so the bakery was in violation of the law.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This vendor produces wedding cakes. There is no difference between this cake and the other cakes sold by the shop. The only difference was the sexuality of the customer.

I don't remember that as being his reason to not sell the cake to them. I believe he said it was because of the type of wedding it was supposed to be for, not the sexuality of the customer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Was it already made?

We'll never know, since the baker said they could not buy any cake for their wedding. Again, this is the reason the baker lost. Had the couple wanted a design the baker did not make, he would have been within his rights to refuse. The fact that he did not find out if they wanted a cake currently on display, one in his catalog he makes for the public on demand, or a custom cake is the reason the judge ruled that the bakery violated the law.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why would that matter?

Because when a baker puts his time and effort into creating something like that, he wouldn't have done it knowing it was to celebrate something that his concience was against. If it was already made, then it might not have mattered to him as much.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember that as being his reason to not sell the cake to them. I believe he said it was because of the type of wedding it was supposed to be for, not the sexuality of the customer.

Last I checked the only people who engage in SSM are couples of the same sex. The courts have already struck down the reasoning that targeting an activity only engaged in by one group is different then targeting the individual.

See:

Bray v. Alexandria Women's Health Clinic, 506 U.S. 263 (1993)

As to the first: Some activities may be such an irrational object of disfavor that, if they are targeted, and if they also happen to be engaged in exclusively or predominantly by a particular class of people, an intent to disfavor that class can readily be presumed. A tax on wearing yarmulkes is a tax on Jews.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

And the difference between a "wedding" (per the baker) and a "gay wedding" is the sexuality of the couple. He refused to sell the cake based on the sexuality (the protected class) of the people who would use his cake.

Upvote 0