Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that something police officers have been able to sue the business for?

As I said, I haven't heard of a case in which it was actually management policy, so management has always been immediate fire the employee, issue apologies, and it's never a good political move for government agents to sue for such things.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Refusing to sell one particular item to someone is not discriminating against the person. It is discriminating against an item.
That's a ridiculous argument.

The bakers can refuse to sell an item to a particular person, but not refuse to sell to a class of people - ie wedding cakes to gay people.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I looked through the article in the link (actually clicked another link within that article) and the most detail I could find about that is in the following:

"Craig says Phillips “started to explain he had gay friends. And he would sell us cookies or cupcakes. But we left.”

Phillips recalls their anger. “They swore at me, flipped me off and stormed out,” he said."

From what I can tell, it appears that he wasn't going to make a cake for a same-sex event, but was still willing to sell them other things. So it's not like he was outright denying them service just because they were gay. It sounds like they then became unruly and decided to leave instead of buying anything.

Which, again, is why the baker was found in violation of Colorado's Civil Rights Accommodation Law, he refused to sell this couple an item (wedding cake) that he routinely sold to others in the operation of his business, based on the couple's sexual orientation.

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone yet commented on the wisdom of forcing someone to make you food who does not want to?

Simple solution for the baker would be to force the client to sign an arbitration agreement as well as institute a return policy that covers your costs once their wedding has been ruined with inedible cake.

Just because I have a business that serves the public does not mean I have to serve every member of said public who walks through my door with some money. "We reserve the right to refuse service" ring a bell?

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Which, again, is why the baker was found in violation of Colorado's Civil Rights Accommodation Law, he refused to sell this couple an item (wedding cake) that he routinely sold to others in the operation of his business, based on the couple's sexual orientation.

You don't sell wedding cakes, you make wedding cakes custom per the event. He has the right to decline providing his specialized services for any reason, be it lack of time, lack of desire to participate in said event or any other reason.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone yet commented on the wisdom of forcing someone to make you food who does not want to?

Probably during the 60s when black people had to fight for the right to sit alongside white people in restaurants.

Just because I have a business that serves the public does not mean I have to serve every member of said public who walks through my door with some money. "We reserve the right to refuse service" ring a bell?
People can put up signs all they want - doesn't mean the law stops applying to them.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You don't sell wedding cakes, you make wedding cakes custom per the event. He has the right to decline providing his specialized services for any reason, be it lack of time, lack of desire to participate in said event or any other reason.
The law disagrees.

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Probably during the 60s when black people had to fight for the right to sit alongside white people in restaurants.

People can put up signs all they want - doesn't mean the law stops applying to them.

This isn't the 60's. Argue this case on it's merits, not off a case a half century ago with completely different circumstances.

The law backs their right to put up these signs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By what logic can a nation that is built on religious freedom, force someone to participate in contributing to an act that YHWH abhors?

That's what the court case is about. Forcing someone to create a custom piece geared towards something the creator of the piece disagrees with.

They are looking for ways to balance to two viewpoints, and still allow freedom of speech and lack of discrimination.

I went to the Supreme courts website, and read the transcript. It was an interesting read.

I didn't know the baker also refused to make an Anti-LGBT cake as well. He also doesn't do Halloween, Divorce celebration, etc. So, this theme that the case is about isn't the only aspect of life he won't create for customers.

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This isn't the 60's.

Yeah, you'd have hoped some people would have learned from history.

The law backs their right to put up these signs.

I already said they could put up any signs they want. Following through on the threats in them is a different story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's what the court case is about. Forcing someone to create a custom piece geared towards something the creator of the piece disagrees with.

No, it is about a business owner refusing to sell something to a gay person that they'd happily sell to anyone else.

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Except it's not. It's about the customization of the cake. He offered them off the self goods.

No, it is about a business owner refusing to sell something to a gay person that they'd happily sell to anyone else.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

lol You let the Supreme court know that then. All of them are under the impression it is about the two issues they themselves brought up!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This isn't the 60's. Argue this case on it's merits, not off a case a half century ago with completely different circumstances.

What is the difference in circumstances? BTW, I personally remember those signs and the places I was not allowed to go.

That's why I never got to see any of the Disney children's classics until I was an adult--they were only shown at the whites-only theater.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's a ridiculous argument.

The bakers can refuse to sell an item to a particular person, but not refuse to sell to a class of people - ie wedding cakes to gay people.

But that's not the deal here. He refused to sell it for the purpose of a gay wedding. This guy might have refused to sell it to a straight person who came in to buy it for the same purpose. It's not usually the bride and groom that walk into a bake shop to buy the cake anyway, is it? Doesn't a caterer usually do that service?

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0