Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its a whole different story with government, which has an obligation in principle to serve all citizens.
Well, actually their job is to protect us and provide a safe place to live our lives. This is why I'm against all entitlement programs and other government intrusion into hour our culture works.

It used to be that the only contact the average citizen had with any representative of the US Government was their mail man.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, actually their job is to protect us and provide a safe place to live our lives. This is why I'm against all entitlement programs and other government intrusion into hour our culture works.

It used to be that the only contact the average citizen had with any representative of the US Government was their mail man.
Whether you'd prefer the smallest govt possible, or a big nanny state, the principle that govt serves all citizens still applies.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whether you'd prefer the smallest govt possible, or a big nanny state, the principle that govt serves all citizens still applies.
Absolutely. The constitution is founded on the concept of the rights of the individual citizen. We are each one of those - are all all sellers of products and buyers of products. And the first amendment protects both.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do people who support a business right to refuse service to a homosexual couple get all bent out of shape when a business refuses to serve police officers?

'Cause gays are icky, and police never do anything bad to anybody.

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do people who support a business right to refuse service to a homosexual couple get all bent out of shape when a business refuses to serve police officers?
Because that is how they think it should work. They get bent out of shape and refuse to to business with the place that refused to serve police officers. They don't argue that there should be a law requiring them to serve police officers. At least I don't.

And this freedom is important for a reason a lot of people don't mention: Being free enough to hang yourself.

To be free, you have to have the freedom to both succeed and fail. If you are free to run your business like a bigoted jerk, you are free to fail. And businesses that have done this sort of stuff HAVE failed, and people have applauded that fact. That's part of the beauty of free markets. Good businesses succeed and bad ones fail.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Or when private employers don't require their employees to stand during the national anthem?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. The constitution is founded on the concept of the rights of the individual citizen. We are each one of those - are all all sellers of products and buyers of products. And the first amendment protects both.
The First Amendment does that how? I honestly don't believe it protects sellers of products from discriminating against classes of people (children excepted).

To be free, you have to have the freedom to both succeed and fail. If you are free to run your business like a bigoted jerk, you are free to fail. And businesses that have done this sort of stuff HAVE failed, and people have applauded that fact. That's part of the beauty of free markets. Good businesses succeed and bad ones fail.
Before the antidiscrimination laws went into effect, these businesses did not fail because people, in general, like to exclude, they like to feel that their company is exclusive - and do well to charge a premium for the exclusivity.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The First Amendment does that how? I honestly don't believe it protects sellers of products from discriminating against classes of people (children excepted).

Before the antidiscrimination laws went into effect, these businesses did not fail because people, in general, like to exclude, they like to feel that their company is exclusive - and do well to charge a premium for the exclusivity.

What the poster you replied to, keeps losing site of this reality; no rights are limitless and they reach their limit, when they infringe on the rights of others. In private situations, people can discriminate against others quite a bit. In public situations, not as much.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Did the business refuse to serve a police officer because the officer wanted something that the owner wouldn't normally provide, or was it simply because he/she was a police officer?

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What the poster you replied to, keeps losing site of this reality; no rights are limitless and they reach their limit, when they infringe on the rights of others. In private situations, people can discriminate against others quite a bit. In public situations, not as much.

Refusing to sell one particular item to someone is not discriminating against the person. It is discriminating against an item.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Refusing to sell one particular item to someone is not discriminating against the person. It is discriminating against an item.

If the item is something they sell to other people, it is in fact discrimination against a certain person.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If the item is something they sell to other people, it is in fact discrimination against a certain person.

If they don't normally sell wedding cakes that feature 2 men or 2 women figurines on it, or whatever other decorations that would indicate that it's for celebrating 2 people of the same sex being married to each other, then I don't really see how not selling one like that would be discriminating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If they don't normally sell wedding cakes that feature 2 men or 2 women figurines on it, or whatever other decorations that would indicate that it's for celebrating 2 people of the same sex being married to each other, then I don't really see how not selling one like that would be discriminating.

If they don't typically sell same sex figurines as a normal course, they wouldn't have to sell it. Did this specific case ask the baker to provide figurines they don't normally sell to others?

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If they don't typically sell same sex figurines as a normal course, they wouldn't have to sell it. Did this specific case ask the baker to provide figurines they don't normally sell to others?

I looked through the article in the link (actually clicked another link within that article) and the most detail I could find about that is in the following:

"Craig says Phillips “started to explain he had gay friends. And he would sell us cookies or cupcakes. But we left.”

Phillips recalls their anger. “They swore at me, flipped me off and stormed out,” he said."

From what I can tell, it appears that he wasn't going to make a cake for a same-sex event, but was still willing to sell them other things. So it's not like he was outright denying them service just because they were gay. It sounds like they then became unruly and decided to leave instead of buying anything.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did the business refuse to serve a police officer because the officer wanted something that the owner wouldn't normally provide, or was it simply because he/she was a police officer?

Explicitly because he was a police officer...and that's happened quite often in the last couple of years.

Well, let me correct that. I haven't heard of any circumstances in which the business management has such a policy. It's always (so far as I've heard) been an ad hoc action by an employee, such as a waitress or cashier. But it's been reported a fair number of times.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think the better action would be not to sell any cakes with figurines already on top. Just sell them as a side item.

That's one of the reasons why I, as a portrait photographer, don't do sexualized portraits (such as boudoir) for anybody.

Upvote 0

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Explicitly because he was a police officer...and that's happened quite often in the last couple of years.

Well, let me correct that. I haven't heard of any circumstances in which the business management has such a policy. It's always (so far as I've heard) been an ad hoc action by an employee, such as a waitress or cashier. But it's been reported a fair number of times.

Is that something police officers have been able to sue the business for?

Upvote 0