Sun Worship In The Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherha

Oct 25, 2005
✟8,016.00
Faith
Christian
"And he declared his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone...Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similtude of any figure, the likeness of male or female...And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them and serve them...Deut 4:12-20.

And, yet, that is what the children of Israel did, over and over again - even, the priests. 2 Ki 23:4-11. Matthew Henry makes a connection between this worship and the worship of Lucifer (Isa 14:12-14), who said, "I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God...I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High."

God showed Ezekiel, women weeping for Tammuz (sun-god), and men in the inner court of the Lord's house, worshipping the sun, towards the east. Ezek 8:13-18.

"Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? For they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and,lo, they put the branch to their nose. Therefore, I will also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them."

The Lord had told them to destroy the graven images (Deut 7:25) and all of their pictures. Num 33:52.

At Babel, the people said, that, they would build a tower, whose top would reach unto heaven. "Unto heaven" is a figure of speech, used, also, in Deut 1:28. There is enough evidence to show that the tower ("ziggurat") was connected with sun worship.

The Romans, when conquering, would take the people's gods, thinking to undermine their power. Many graven images were brought back to Rome, and, later, into the church. For example, the statue of St. Peter, was, once Jupiter (sun-god and chief god of the Roman Empire.)

The golden child in the Vatican treasury, is reminiscent of the ancient worship of Tammuz. Born on December 25th, he represents the rebirth of the sun. He was called, "Baal-berith" or lord of the fir-tree. Both the Egyptians and Persians celebrated the birthday of their god on December 25th. Other names applied to the sun-god are Mithras, Horus, Isvara, Deoius, Jupiter, Rah, Plutus, Ninus, Osiris, Dionysus, Bacchus, Iacchus, Adonis, Attis, etc.

The placing of Mary in a crescent, is a remnant of the fertility cults of the ancient mother-goddess, traceable to the Babylonian queen, Semiramis, titled, "Mother of God", and "Queen of Heaven".

The pagans, placed a circle or aureole around the heads of their gods, which continued in the art of the church. (Even, Buddha, has this circular symbol around his head.) The disk was used to represent any being as a god or goddess. Thousands of pictures of Mary and the saints, have this same symbolsim.

As Paganism and Christianity blended, at times a saint was given a similar sounding name to that of a god or goddess. The goddess Victoria, was renamed St. Victoire, Cheron as St. Ceranos, Artemis as St. Astemidos, Dionysus as St. Dionysus, etc. The goddess Brighit (the daughter of the sun-god with a child in her arms) was renamed St. Bridget. In pagan days, her chief temple was at Kildare, and was served by Vestal Virgins, who tended the sacred fires. Later, her temple became a convent, her Vestal Virgins, nuns. Now, it is called, "St. Bridget's fire." - Babylon Mystery Religion, by Ralph Woodrow.

Originally, the obelisk was associated with sun worship, a symbol of "Baal", (which, was a title of Nimrod), because it pointed toward heaven. It, also, had a sexual significance - the phallus as with the sun, is a symbol of life. The same obelisk (the ancient symbol of Osiris, the solar phallic god), that stood in Egypt, is now in the entrance to St. Peter's.

The largest occult solar wheel on earth, is the court of St. Peter at the Vatican in Rome - a wheel within a wheel, with eight spokes, a common symbol of Cosmic energy in Paganism.

The Pope's mitre (hat) comes from sun worship, as seen in pictures of Dagon and Oannes, the Babylonian fish-god and Vishnu, Hindu fish-god.

There is so much more...Constantine had a vision of the cross of Mithra (sun-god) and heard a voice, saying, "In this sign, conquer..." Though pagan Rome was corrupt and oppressive, Jesus never rallied an army to overthrow the empire. He taught us to wage a different kind of warfare - a spiritual warfare for the souls of men. Constantine, a christian? He had his wife and eldest son murdered. He was a sun-worshipper. In 321 A.D., he instituted the first Sunday law, in order, to unite the Pagans and the Christians in the empire.
At the Council of Laodicea, in 364 A.D., the Sabbath was, officially, "changed" to Sunday, (called, "The Lord's Day" in sun worship). The "Little Horn" (Antichrist) who was to arise out of the Roman Empire, "thinks to change times and law." - Dan 7:25.

Jesus, referred to Himself, as "Lord of the Sabbath," the day He instituted at Creation, and the day He told us to "remember" in the fourth commandment.

By honoring the day that He chose, we demonstrate our allegiance to and honor Him, as Lord and Creator of the heavens, the earth, and, most of all, of us.

"But unto you that fear my name, shall the Sun of Righteousness arise with healing in his wings..."Mal 4:2.

Worship the Sun of Righteousness - Worship the Son of God!

Reactions: icedtea

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
The roman empire was a big place , so why do you choose only a selected portion of it to present your view?

And as far as the seventh day is concerned , god simply said , "every seventh day" , so where do you begin the starting point of the first day so that you can know when the seventh day will come ?

Upvote 0

Sherha

Oct 25, 2005
✟8,016.00
Faith
Christian
"And on THE seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on THE seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed THE seventh day and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Gen 2:2,3

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But THE seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God."

" FOR in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested THE seventh day: WHEREFORE (for THIS reason) the Lord blessed THE seventh day, and hallowed it." Ex 20

Why did the Lord say, over and over, "THE" seventh day if it could be any day. Why do we say with the Scripture, that, Jesus rose on the first day on the week?

Jesus rested in the grave on the Sabbath. The women waited until the Sabbath was over to anoint His body. Jesus, in Matthew 24, made reference to keeping the Sabbath in "The Great Tribulation". Isaiah 66:22,23 says, His people will keep the Sabbath in His coming Kingdom.

It was a commandment, before the Ten were given: "Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none (manna). And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day to gather, and they found none. And the Lord said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws? ...so the people rested on the seventh day." Ex 16:26-30.

A "commandment" means, just that.

In over 100 languages, the word for Saturday is Sabbath. The most well-known is "Sabado" in Spanish.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, again, this is the wrong forum for this thread. It is meant for General Theology; this is not an Eschatological issue. Mods, please move.

Second, I've seen your first post writtern verbatim on numerous other forums by a guy named Herald. If you are not the same person, then you are violating forum rules:

2.7 Copyright
You will not make posts that violate the copyrights of others. In general, this means that any quoted portion of any work must not exceed 20% of the total work.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.