Successful repentance...? How is it done...?

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are some reasons why, or why do you think some or most people, are not able to successfully, fully and totally repent, or obey (in this manner)...?

Because God has not yet removed their heart of stone and given them a heart of flesh.

How do we change those...?

We don't and we can't. That is solely the work of the Holy Spirit. We may be vessels of the Holy Spirit, but He gets all of the credit and all of the glory.

Who builds the house, the hammer (us) or the Carpenter (God)?

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can we be free of or from habitual known sins...?

Cause many people do have these kinds of sins, and there told that they need to repent of those, but just cannot seem to (yet) in their life... And some of them really beat themselves up about it, cause they just can't seem to, and still other just give up, (and give in most or the time, but still feel very guilty) and still others, (to get rid of those bad feelings), get tired of it and try to redefine, or justify their habitual sins, to their liking, if anything to just be able to live with themselves...?

How do we give them the power to be able to do it/that successfully...?

Methods, practices, suggestions, Ideas...?

God Bless!
We were once slaves of sin before we received the Holy Spirit, who has freed us from sin. However, not all Christians are aware that we are now free and no longer slaves of sin. Satan knows what our individual weaknesses are, and likes to tempt us into sinning and deceives us that we cannot overcome those sins even after we have become Christian.

As long as we have faith in God's word that we are no longer slaves to sin and rebuke Satan with the scripture similar to what Jesus did in the wilderness, Satan has to flee from us and the special appeal of those sins would vanish.

For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin. (Romans 6:5-7 NASB)

But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. (Romans 6:17-18 NASB)

But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. (Romans 6:22 NAS
B)​

However, we need to remember that this power to overcome Satan and sins comes from God, not from us, so we need to continue to abide in Christ and walk by the Holy Spirit.

Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. (John 15:4-5 NASB)​

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you have children? It's like that. We love them even if they do wrong. We forgive them in an instant when they turn, repent. Even if they go away in the manner of the prodigal, we accept them back if they turn. We go out and meet then on the road, celebrate, greatly, because the lost is now found. They have come back to us!
I still do not think that answers the question, whether God's love/mercy/compassion/forgiveness, whatever is dependent on us at all, or what we do, or do not do, in any way...? (not scripturally, or from scripture anyway)...?

Sure we have the tale of the prodigal son, but we also have lines like "the Father will not forgive you, if your not forgiving" or...? what...? completely forgive everyone of everything, before he (God, the Father) will love or forgive us...?

God Bless!

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Because God has not yet removed their heart of stone and given them a heart of flesh.

We don't and we can't. That is solely the work of the Holy Spirit. We may be vessels of the Holy Spirit, but He gets all of the credit and all of the glory.

So, it all his (God's) doing (and choosing) and what he (God) does, and none of it is dependent on us at all...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

That is kind of what I'm trying to get at...? If it is all God and none of us, then why do, or try to, or do, or not do, anything at all...?

And if it's all God and none of us, how can we be held responsible for our (choices, actions, decisions, or who we are or who we become) in any way...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have the "mid of Christ" or God, or perspective of God...?

How do we do that...? How can we have that...?

God Bless!

Work to gain a comprehensive understanding of God's word, and thus, His mind and heart.

Then it will be easier to see things the way He sees things.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is kind of what I'm trying to get at...? If it is all God and none of us, then why do, or try to, or do, or not do, anything at all...?

And if it's all God and none of us, how can we be held responsible for our (choices, actions, decisions, or who we are or who we become) in any way...?

God Bless!

We are responsible, to some extent, for the depth of our relationship with God.

What God has, effectively done, is to ADOPT us into His house. It is up to us, to an extent, to pay attention to understand HOW God rnus His house ... and, in some case, WHY He runs the house that way. In other words, you strive to become a genuine member of your new family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Vicomte13
And can "we judge" another by their (level of, I guess) forgiveness, as to whether or not they are truly one of God's (people) or belong to God, or not...?

It's not for us to judge. Jesus told us not to. He warned us that we would be judged by the measure by which we judged - which makes hypocrisy a deadly trap.

We were not made to rule other men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why did it take so many messages to come to this? The word is metanoia and means to change your mind. It doesn't mean to turn from or eschew. That would be an action, a work, and you can not be saved by works.

People get confused when they find that repentance does result in changes. They think the changes are part of the repentance... they are not. One follows the other. You repent, you get the Holy Spirit and begin the inner transformation which results in the fruits of the Spirit.

Repentance is an understanding that your old life is something that you no longer desire.

When Peter Preached his first sermon in Acts chapter two, those present were "pierced in the heart" (2:37) though the "convicting" (see John 16:7-8) of the Holy Spirit. And they cried out to the Disciples, "what shall we DO? (Greek, ποιέω, to perform, carry out)". To which Peter did not day, "DO nothing"; but tells them to "REPENT..." (verse 38). In fact, in the next chapter we read, "Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord".(verse 19) Where the English "be converted" is the Greek verb, ἐπιστρέφω, which means, "to turn about, to turn around", as from something/someone to another. This verse is very clear in linking both the "changing of the mind", and the "turning away from" our sins and old life, to the Lord God of the Bible. We read the same thing in 1 Thess. 1:9, "For they themselves show of us what manner of welcome we had unto you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God". Which is the ACTION of true REPENTANCE.

The Book of Jonah is one of the best on Evangelism, and the wideness of the Mercy and Compassion of God, especially to a nation that was not "the elect" children of Israel, in fact, were their greatest enemies at the time. Jonah was sent to them to peach the Gospel for the salvation, to which they "responded" favorably (see chapter 3:6-9), and cried out mightily to God to save them. Verse 10 is very important, "And God saw their WORKS, that they TURNED FROM their evil way (TRUE REPENTANCE); and God relented of the disaster, that he had said that he would bring upon them; and he did it not". The "works" are the fact that they "turned from their evil ways, and to the Lord". It is not as some wrongly suppose, a "merit" that earns someone their salvation. They did not only "change their minds", but also "their lives" by "turning" FROM their old sinful lives, TO God. There is no "merit" in this, but the "obeying" of what the Lord demands all sinners DO. Like the rich ruler in the Gospels, "And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I DO to inherit eternal life?" (Luke 18:18), to which Jesus did not say "do nothing". Or the jailer in Acts 16, "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I DO to be saved?" (v.30).

True Biblical REPENTANCE is not only to "change one's mind" on the Lord or our sinful lives, but also the renouncing and turning from our old sinful lives. As God says in Ezekiel 18:21, "But if the wicked will turn from all his sins (repents) that he has committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.". And, Joel 2:12-14, "Therefore also now, says the LORD, turn you even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And tear your hearts, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and relents from sending calamity. Who knows if He will return and have pity, and leave a blessing behind him; even a grain offering and a drink offering unto the LORD your God?"

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We are responsible, to some extent, for the depth of our relationship with God.

What God has, effectively done, is to ADOPT us into His house. It is up to us, to an extent, to pay attention to understand HOW God rnus His house ... and, in some case, WHY He runs the house that way. In other words, you strive to become a genuine member of your new family.
So, it is a bit of both...?

Can we be disowned or tossed out of God's house, once there...?

And, what makes us there...? (adopted into his house)...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still do not think that answers the question, whether God's love/mercy/compassion/forgiveness, whatever is dependent on us at all, or what we do, or do not do, in any way...? (not scripturally, or from scripture anyway)...?

Sure we have the tale of the prodigal son, but we also have lines like "the Father will not forgive you, if your not forgiving" or...? what...? completely forgive everyone of everything, before he (God, the Father) will love or forgive us...?

God Bless!

God loves us ... and has adopted us as His children.

He wants us ... to take on His characteristics (i.e. to be a true image of Him). So He encourages Godly character (including forgiveness) in us.

When God says that He will not forgive our sins ... unless we forgive others their sins against us, ... He is saying that the tension of unforgiven sin will remain between He and us (as between Father and child) ... so long as we make no attempt to emulate His forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's not for us to judge. Jesus told us not to. He warned us that we would be judged by the measure by which we judged - which makes hypocrisy a deadly trap.

We were not made to rule other men.
So, we should be very, very, very careful and cautious when, or if, we do judge...?

And not be hypocrites...?

But, are not many of us, at least a little bit hypocritical sometimes, even when were doing our best not to be...?

Does that disqualify us from being God's or from belonging to God...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God loves us ... and has adopted us as His children.

He wants us ... to take on His characteristics (i.e. to be a true image of Him). So He encourages Godly character (including forgiveness) in us.

When God says that He will not forgive our sins ... unless we forgive others their sins against us, ... He is saying that the tension of unforgiven sin will remain between He and us (as between Father and child) ... so long as we make no attempt to emulate His forgiveness.
Do we have to be perfect...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, it is a bit of both...?

Can we be disowned or tossed out of God's house, once there...?

And, what makes us there...? (adopted into his house)...?

God Bless!

Jesus says that "Whosoever cometh to Him", He will, under no circumstances, cast out.

John 6

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Jesus said that "Whosoever believes in Him ... shall be saved." IOW, adopted into His family.

John 1:12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure we have the tale of the prodigal son, but we also have lines like "the Father will not forgive you, if your not forgiving" or...? what...?

Jesus said "what". Read the parable. The unforgiving servant was thrown into prison "until the last penny is paid". (There are limitations in the Torah on debt that might apply - 7 years, or 50 years - maybe.) Jesus said that God would do the same to us if we don't forgive.

So, what do we know? If we don't forgive others their sins - a choice that we can make - then neither will God forgive us our sins, and we'll be punished "in prison", "until the last penny is paid". This is the root of the Catholic (and Jewish) belief in Purgatory (which the Jews and Jesus call "Gehenna").

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do we have to be perfect...?

God Bless!

We should strive for perfection, but perfection isn't required, ... while we're still growing up into the image of the Father.

That's what forgiveness is for ...

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, we should be very, very, very careful and cautious when, or if, we do judge...?

And not be hypocrites...?

Jesus said don't judge, and that you'll be judged by the measure by which you judged.

I don't read "be very, very cautious" there. I read "don't".
As in "don't".

And then I think about "But what about when we HAVE to?"
To which I answer: readjust things so that we don't "have" to. We only "have" to because of the structures we have chosen to build. Chose to tear those down and build something else.

Upvote 0