Successful repentance...? How is it done...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
How does one "successfully" and fully do that though (repent)...? Totally, successfully, and fully...?

Therein lies the real problem doesn't it, and the problem of telling people, "just repent of your sin"... Just "obey", (and by obey, all too many mean fully and completely do away with sin in your life)...

What are some ways to successfully and fully repent...? What are some successful ways to to obey (in this manner)...

Does it happen overnight, or is it a process...?

What are some practical, simple, and very useful methods, and tools, that actually work, and see and get real results...?

How is it done...?

Comments...?

Ideas...?

God Bless!

Reactions: Dreger

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What are some reasons why, or why do you think some or most people, are not able to successfully, fully and totally repent, or obey (in this manner)...?

How do we change those...?

God Bless!

A God-given heart is what we need to have genuine remorse over our offenses to Him.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
A God-given heart is what we need to have genuine remorse over our offenses to Him.
So, a different heart or a new heart...? But what does that mean and what does that look like...?

And if it would help, how would it help...? (in completely doing away with any and all sin)...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Our repentance can never be total. We should repent to the point where sin no longer has dominion over our lives.

The justification is total but the sanctification will never be until we go to Heaven.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
A different perspective, or perspective change...? But what would that be...? What would be the right perspective...?

Would truth, or the truth, or the truth about yourself help...? Since John 8:32 says that (truth) (mainly about yourself, if were speaking individually and this may different from person to person, or individual to individual) that the "truth" will make you or set you free...? (from sin) (from bondage or slavery)...?

Or, "what" exactly...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Our repentance can never be total. We should repent to the point where sin no longer has dominion over our lives.
What does that mean...?

If it's even a little bit of sin, then we are slaves and are in bondage to it, (and it has dominion over our lives) and are not "free"...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The justification is total but the sanctification will never be until we go to Heaven.
Why or why not...?

How can you know that, or think that for sure...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What does that mean...?

If it's even a little bit of sin, then we are slaves and are in bondage to it, (and it has dominion over our lives) and are not "free"...

God Bless!
We should be free from habitual known sins. We can't be free of all sin, although there are those who would argue that we can. A co-worker told me that he had not sinned in three years, I believe it was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We should be free from habitual known sins. We can't be free of all sin, although there are those who would argue that we can. A co-worker told me that he had not sinned in three years, I believe it was.
How can we be free of or from habitual known sins...?

Cause many people do have these kinds of sins, and there told that they need to repent of those, but just cannot seem to (yet) in their life... And some of them really beat themselves up about it, cause they just can't seem to, and still other just give up, (and give in most or the time, but still feel very guilty) and still others, (to get rid of those bad feelings), get tired of it and try to redefine, or justify their habitual sins, to their liking, if anything to just be able to live with themselves...?

How do we give them the power to be able to do it/that successfully...?

Methods, practices, suggestions, Ideas...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Some people have suggested "walking with God/walking in the spirit", other's "knowing the truth" about yourself, some "ways (methods) of changing or altering your thoughts or thinking" (from negative to positive) (or from bad to good)... Some a change of heart, or some having the right perspective(s) in life... things like that...

But, what if it doesn't work...? What if it doesn't help or seem to be helping or working...? What can (or do) they do then...?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think repentance has so much to do with never sinning to the degree of perfection. Depending on how you define sin (I would say it's "missing the mark" and the mark is imitating Christ and/or perfectly conforming to God's will - so we will always fall short even if we don't actively choose to oppose what is right). But depending on one's definition - we will always sin.

To not love God perfectly - with ALL of our strength, heart, soul, mind - is falling short. Who among us claims we love God enough and perfectly? If there is one, that person probably sins in pride, which is worse.

Anyway.

Repentance has more to do with seeing sin as something we don't want. Desiring to do the right thing, at least. In the case of things like addictions that are not overcome this can seem impossible. But to agree with God's order for things and to TRY - and to hate our failures - is more associated with repentance.

Repentance is something we grow in all of our lives. As we become further purified, we grow closer to God, and His light makes whatever darkness remains in us so much the more visible, even if we are much less dark than before. And because we are more in agreement with God, we hate the sin all the more.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does one "successfully" and fully do that though (repent)...? Totally, successfully, and fully...?

Therein lies the real problem doesn't it, and the problem of telling people, "just repent of your sin"... Just "obey", (and by obey, all too many mean fully and completely do away with sin in your life)...

What are some ways to successfully and fully repent...? What are some successful ways to to obey (in this manner)...

What are some practical, simple, and very useful methods, and tools, that actually work, and see and get real results...?

How is it done...?

Comments...?

Ideas...?

God Bless!

How is it done...?

Comments...?

Ideas...?

God Bless!

Sincerely.

Like the prodigal son. Like the tax collector (Luke 18 NIV)

Just confess. For real.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sincerely.

Like the prodigal son. Like the tax collector (Luke 18 NIV)

Just confess. For real.
I want to conquer/defeat/ovecome, not just confess, cause I've done and do do that...

Any Ideas...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think repentance has so much to do with never sinning to the degree of perfection. Depending on how you define sin (I would say it's "missing the mark" and the mark is imitating Christ and/or perfectly conforming to God's will - so we will always fall short even if we don't actively choose to oppose what is right). But depending on one's definition - we will always sin.

To not love God perfectly - with ALL of our strength, heart, soul, mind - is falling short. Who among us claims we love God enough and perfectly? If there is one, that person probably sins in pride, which is worse.

Anyway.

Repentance has more to do with seeing sin as something we don't want. Desiring to do the right thing, at least. In the case of things like addictions that are not overcome this can seem impossible. But to agree with God's order for things and to TRY - and to hate our failures - is more associated with repentance.

Repentance is something we grow in all of our lives. As we become further purified, we grow closer to God, and His light makes whatever darkness remains in us so much the more visible, even if we are much less dark than before. And because we are more in agreement with God, we hate the sin all the more.
So, do you suggest a change in/and, or of "perspective" then...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
@Neogaia777

One of the reasons our repentance doesn't get higher than the ceiling is we are lying to ourselves and to God. So the first step is integrity of heart. For me it was telling God (if He really existed) that I've tried and tried to stop sinning for God, and I just can't. I acknowledged that I was weak and He was strong, and if He wanted me to stop this sin (adultery) He was going to have to make it happen, because He was all powerful, and I was a weak sinner. I told God that I wasn't going to try breaking it off anymore because soon I would just go back to him anyway, that He was going to have to make my married lover break up with me, and give him the strength to stay away from me when I tried to get him back because I would. It was blatant honesty and I surrendered the problem to God. And within one week God answered my prayer - the first prayer in 30 years that ever got answered. He also confirmed that He existed. He spoke to me. And what He said was so astounding that all I wanted was to be scrubbed clean to only have Him in my life. I repented, because I suddenly fell madly in love with Jesus. And within 10 minutes He filled me with His Spirit, and all desire to sin was GONE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, do you suggest a change in/and, or of "perspective" then...?

God Bless!
That is precisely part of what repentance means - one must change one's heart/mind to align with God.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is precisely part of what repentance means - one must change one's heart/mind to align with God.
Have the "mid of Christ" or God, or perspective of God...?

How do we do that...? How can we have that...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Sorry, Anastasia, but we can't. Until we recognize our weakness to do anything righteous, especially all the way to aligning with God, we can never fully surrender to let God take over. Read #16

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, Anastasia, but we can't. Until we recognize our weakness to do anything righteous, especially all the way to aligning with God, we can never fully surrender to let God take over. Read #16
Glory to God that the situation worked out for you. :)

I'm not sure how you're disagreeing with me exactly.

If you mean to say that we should never make any efforts of our own, then yes, I disagree. But if you mean to say that all is done with the grace and help of God, we are in agreement.

Peace to you.

Upvote 0