• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with low self esteem

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You have a voice and you are using it here. Unlike the movement today in society to remove any opposing speech, you should have the freedom here to be yourself, speak your mind and establish yourself as in individual with just as much right to speak and to be yourself like anyone else. Today the forums, tomorrow the world. :)

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not sure what to say. I'm running out of ways to try and seek help.
I've had issues with self esteem. What has worked for me is reading God's word.
If you put your worth in your own eyes then you will limit yourself greatly, but if you put your worth in God's eyes it can change your life totally. Sin can blind us to how God truly feels about us, we get stuck on ourselves, essentially we are self centered... selfish even and miss the truth about who we truly are in God's eyes while we covet what man's eyes and our own eyes see about who we are.
I strongly suggest you start reading at Psalm 139.
You can also read Romans 5:8, Jeremiah 1:5, there are a lot of scriptures telling us about how God feels about us.
Jesus died on the cross for EACH and every ONE of us.... he died because you were WORTH IT!
Surrender your worth to God, put it in his hands knowing that he paid a great price for you and wants you with him forever and ever and ever.
I've found on average people either care about others or they don't, they are either loving people generally or selfish and want everyone to love them before they can love others back.
I've found when it comes to God when you feel down.... lift others up, when you feel unloved, love others, and when you have low self esteem and "need" praise to lift you up..... Praise God and he will lift you up.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I used to struggle with that. It turns out I didn't need to elevate my self esteem so much as to lower my esteem of others, which occurred naturally the more I learned about people :) Now I have everyone on the same level, self included, since the only real value any of us have is the value Christ placed on us at the cross.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had to lower what I thought of others too. People are equal. The Bible says don’t think of yourself more highly than you ought. We are wretched sinners so you don’t need much self esteem to do the work of God, to love others, to be valuable to God and people. Just do the good works and they will like you. Go against the grain of depression or not liking yourself and be an encouragement and like others. It’s all in the Bible how to.

Let God be an encouragement to you. Read bible, pray, tell everything for a while. He will help you understand. Understanding is what we want, not to feel good about ourselves.
God says we can serve Him just as we are, as loved, forgiven much, and willing to give back. Study up how much He loves you and when you do the will of God on one level it is reward enough and hope of heaven.

Upvote 0

Kobo

Mar 9, 2021
Chicago
✟10,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Have you sought the help of a psychiatrist, at least?

I struggled with it for most of my life. It was only after I got on a treatment plan, that I was finally able to properly process those thoughts and fight them, eventually finding God who then helped me understand where they come from and refocus my thoughts appropriately on Him and Him alone.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeking help can be through helpful Christians who value the "Word of God"; though one can find much help personally from God if we seek Him ---as shown in John 3; John 14; etc, in our holy Bible. Low self esteem often has its beginning in youth when one was not helped to learn one is a special and unique person with opportunity to be a good, pleasant, helpful person; and meet all the challenges and needs in our life before us. You can do that if you work at it; which does not speak of 'boasting', asserting self, being self-centered; etc.

When we have the Lord Jesus in our heart as our Savior, Lord of our life, and best friend, we will find what God calls: "the peace that passeth all understanding". Speak to God privately (as in your 'closet' --as Matthew 6:6) ---speaking of a private place. If you tell God you are receiving His "...beloved Son": the Lord Jesus into your heart, and thank our Lord Jesus for dying on the Cross for your sins, the Father will "seal" you as a "child of God" for Heaven forever. That will bring a surety and peace for all your walk on earth. You can then tell others how to find this blessing, and be on your way assured that ALL is well for the way through your life here and forever, friend. Write me personally if you wish. --1watchman

Last edited:
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Psalm 139:14
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

1 Samuel 16:7

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Upvote 0