Southern
✟927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I’m really struggling right now, I’ve not been preaching very long and it seems like every time I do it’s just a struggle to get the words that I want to speak out. I continuously fumble and don’t ever speak very long as I just don’t know how to. I really don’t know how much longer I can do this

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I’m really struggling right now, I’ve not been preaching very long and it seems like every time I do it’s just a struggle to get the words that I want to speak out. I continuously fumble and don’t ever speak very long as I just don’t know how to. I really don’t know how much longer I can do this

First of all, do not despair. Despair is a sin; you must have faith in God through whom all things are possible. There are a number of ways you can get help with this. In order so that we can provide you with the most useful information, if you could provide us with as much information as you can about the nature of your ministry, what background you had before you began preaching, what your precise role is (for example, are you a pastor, or more specifically a presbyter, or a deacon, or a lay preacher?) and what, if any, training you may have received? Also it would help to know what you are preaching about, for example, if you are using a lectionary, if you are preaching in an expositional manner (that is to say, explaining the meaning of Bible texts) or seeking to instruct your congregation in Christian morality, or help their understanding of Christian doctrine, or some combination thereof?

And likewise, are you writing your sermons in advance and getting flustered delivering them, or are you trying to preach unrehearsed, or off the cuff / on the fly as it were (extemporaneously or spontaneously) and running out of gas, so to speak, that is to say, losing your train of thought or running out of things to say or losing your grasp of “the big picture” and having difficulty as a result?

Upvote 0

Hmoon155

Mar 21, 2024
Southern
✟927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
First of all, do not despair. Despair is a sin; you must have faith in God through whom all things are possible. There are a number of ways you can get help with this. In order so that we can provide you with the most useful information, if you could provide us with as much information as you can about the nature of your ministry, what background you had before you began preaching, what your precise role is (for example, are you a pastor, or more specifically a presbyter, or a deacon, or a lay preacher?) and what, if any, training you may have received? Also it would help to know what you are preaching about, for example, if you are using a lectionary, if you are preaching in an expositional manner (that is to say, explaining the meaning of Bible texts) or seeking to instruct your congregation in Christian morality, or help their understanding of Christian doctrine, or some combination thereof?

And likewise, are you writing your sermons in advance and getting flustered delivering them, or are you trying to preach unrehearsed, or off the cuff / on the fly as it were (extemporaneously or spontaneously) and running out of gas, so to speak, that is to say, losing your train of thought or running out of things to say or losing your grasp of “the big picture” and having difficulty as a result?
What do you mean by background?
I guess I would say my role is just a preacher at my church I don’t really know what name to give it.
And I would say it’s a combination of what you described, I preach whatever God puts on my heart. I right out my sermons and usually end up getting flustered and just lose what I’m trying to say.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Action really does speak louder than words. Love is your first call of action not words.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I right out my sermons and usually end up getting flustered and just lose what I’m trying to say.
The first time I was supposed to preach, I ended up having a panic attack and having to stay home on the couch. These days, I preach several times a week. It is possible to deal with whatever's going on.

I think it would be helpful for you if you could work out what the anxiety is that's driving you getting flustered. For me, as long as my thoughts were about me - how people would perceive me, what they would think, that sort of thing - that drove my anxiety terribly. When I was able to shift my focus to, "This is my opportunity to love and help and be of benefit to the others who have come," and my thoughts were about them, what they needed, what would be helpful or inspiring or compassionate (etc) to them, then the anxiety faded into the background.

A similar shift might be helpful to you, but in order to make it you'll need to work out what the underlying concern is.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I've given a few sermons, and I've given lectures and presentations. For a sermon, I write a manuscript around three pages (1500 to 1800 words or so, single space). If you can't say it with that amount of words, you're probably saying too much. Also, if you have to give a sermon every week, save something for next time. Lol

Most important for me, I get up early and repeatedly go over it until I say it naturally, like you and I speaking to each other. That takes effort, but it makes a world of difference. If I have to speak in public, I know what I'm saying inside and out. Otherwise, it feels awkward. I also take my manuscript with me as I speak, not because I need it but because it helps me feel comfortable.

I think it's ridiculous to expect a person to have something good to say every week. But if that's what you have to do, don't drone on and on, and practice whatever you're going to say. Practice until you're tired of saying it. The more natural it comes across because you know it, the better for those who listen, even if it's not great. Not every sermon will be great, and you should learn to accept that.

Also, if you want to avoid "blue Mondays," forget what you said as soon as you're done. It's not about you. If you've prayerfully considered what you're going to say, leave it with God. Invariably, people will hear things you didn't say. That's okay. Maybe they heard what the Spirit communicated or maybe they weren't listening. It doesn't matter. Your task is done; move on.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus spent a lot of good time alone. How do you charge your spiritual battery? Have you had any training? It is always good to be open to honest feedback from others. And keep is simple. Always give a nugget people can remember.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Hmoon155

Mar 21, 2024
Southern
✟927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus spent a lot of good time alone. How do you charge your spiritual battery? Have you had any training? It is always good to be open to honest feedback from others. And keep is simple. Always give a nugget people can remember.
I like to spend time alone reading and in prayer, I’m naturally an introverted person so I enjoy that. I have had no training

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like to spend time alone reading and in prayer, I’m naturally an introverted person so I enjoy that. I have had no training
Do you know other preachers you can practice on?

I think I was pretty good until I actually got training. :D

No, practicing in front of others and getting their honest feedback was very helpful.

It is a skill that can be developed. But some people are naturals. I am not a wordy guy. I think people liked me because I was not very long and to the point.

I did best when my theme was simple and I did not need a script to keep me on course and jog my memory. It seemed when I used a script I was glued to it to get every word right because of the sequence of them. I like to have an outline with just a few words. I don't preach much anymore. But I would often ask my own questions. That is, what was I struggling with in the Gospel. Be real with it and share it.

Sorry about all the typos. I think I fixed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have had no training
Well, that's probably not helping. I would approach your church leadership and enquire about the possibility of some support to do some training or equipping; it could be anything from formal academic study in theology, to joining Toastmasters.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I preach from bullet points and cross reference scriptures to the main theme, in my own from the heart.. I start by reading the main theme scripture. I announce the reference scriptures to be used that day. I use quotes from my reference or study bibles, also from certain commentaries. I can not read a sermon and have it come off sounding from the heart, even though I wrote it. I also give relevant testimony to the theme I'm preaching on. And it's God who has given me the theme, so I know it will strike someone at least, as I wasn't given the theme for no reason.. I'm not afraid to say that someone here today or listening online is needing to hear this, because I know in my heart it's God given. So, some old testament and new testament scripture on the theme, tie that to our world today, as an example.. You end up with more than enough to say.

I also may quote the scripture, then interject how the Amplified bible expands it. I point out certain relevant words and why they are. Fit all this together, have your material, references all marked and ready, wrap it up. Give a good story of how someone came to Christ and give an altar call. Be yourself up there ! But deliver the message the Lord placed on your heart. Suppose the message is say deliverance or breakthrough. What a theme, it's all through the bible pointing to Christ of course. You've delivered the message. If there are instruments there, now have them play lightly and close in prayer all the things that people need delivering from. Make 12-15 items we all could possible need breakthrough in. Someone will be in tears, after service go minister to them or give an encouraging word. They may even come up to you. I had that happen on a theme of fear in our lives. In fear, God/Jesus is the answer to spiritual fear, it's written all through scripture. Overcome it, walk with Him not buried in your own head. He can overcome anything ! Jesus is the conqueror.

Also, the day the Lord gives me the theme of the message to preach on, I don't make it from my bed to the coffee maker, it's on my heart all morning on. I'm walking around the house speaking portions on that theme. So I know that's the one. Once I start compiling the material, He kind of leaves me alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can not read a sermon and have it come off sounding from the heart, even though I wrote it.
That is the challenge. We don't want to ramble and yet we don't want it coming out as if simply reading it. Bullet point are best if one remembers what connects them. And even better if you don't need the bullet point.

But remember, even MLK and Billy Graham used notes.

Upvote 0