Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A bit of good news for the new year. The DEI office of Clackamas County, Oregon no less, has been entirely defunded and dismantled. Those employees will hopefully find useful work which doesn't just consist of sitting around doing nothing but fomenting hatred. Let's get this ball rolling, America.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suspect that the backlash against DEI programs was due to the things done in the name of the "D" and the "E", the "I" isn't all that controversial.

Inclusion is a great concept.

Things done in the name of "Diversity" and "Equity" have been a swing and a miss.

Majorities of people are okay with inclusion-aimed efforts like laws against hiring and housing discrimination.

Per the HRC (which is a pro-LGBTQ org)
  • Support for laws that protect LGBTQ people from discrimination is strongly bipartisan. Majorities of Republicans (65%), independents (82%), and Democrats (89%) favor nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ+ people. Since 2015, support has increased among Democrats (78% to 89%), independents (73% to 82%), and Republicans (61% to 65%).
  • Solid majorities of all religious groups support laws protecting LGBTQ+ people from discrimination, including eight in ten white Catholics (80%) and Hispanic Catholics (83%) and six in ten white evangelical Protestants (61%).

Things done in the name of "Diversity & Equity" (like hiring quotas, and the overall mindset of if you can find any situation in which this "non-marginalized person" has a better outcome than this "marginalized person", that must mean there's a major issue that we need to correct for) is where they start losing people.

"You can't refuse to hire/promote this person if they're the best one for the job just because they're XYZ" is a very different concept than "You have to hire/promote them specifically because they're XYZ it's important that we have equal outcomes across all demographic groups"

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A bit of good news for the new year. The DEI office of Clackamas County, Oregon no less, has been entirely defunded and dismantled. Those employees will hopefully find useful work which doesn't just consist of sitting around doing nothing but fomenting hatred. Let's get this ball rolling, America.

I think we might actually be seeing a trend of removing DEI. It's a good thing. I don't believe anyone should be discriminated against. DEI is not over, but people are just beginning now to see some of the problems with it.

Upvote 0